Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

re: pork pies

are they the sort of thing people from other countries would actually eat or is the export market purely British immigrants?

I'm ok with them and have eaten my fair share but cold greyish pink meat in cold pastry with bonus weird jelly stuff is p much the epitome of bland British food and I can't imagine why like an Italian or an American or a chinese person would choose to eat them over, like, anything else they have available to them

unless it's like a weird Anglophilia thing?

they're bad and grim, maybe we make good ones for export though? Like beer but backwards

Failed Imagineer posted:

The pissiest of all beers. Makes complete sense

"barkeep, what would you recommend for a bad hombre"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

XMNN posted:

re: pork pies

are they the sort of thing people from other countries would actually eat or is the export market purely British immigrants?

I'm ok with them and have eaten my fair share but cold greyish pink meat in cold pastry with bonus weird jelly stuff is p much the epitome of bland British food and I can't imagine why like an Italian or an American or a chinese person would choose to eat them over, like, anything else they have available to them

unless it's like a weird Anglophilia thing?

The shell looks nice enough, but eating cold fatty spam is a no-go I'm afraid.
Maybe if the filling was a nice chili bean salad with feta and a yummy sauce or something.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
But why would you want a piping hot delicious empanada melting in your mouth when you could MELTON MOWBRAYYYYYY

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

wait til they find out about the full range of british "party food"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
None of the American subcontinents give a gently caress about protected EU denominations, we just make lovely knockoffs of anything we want, yet strangely we haven’t ever copied pork pies for some reason :thunk:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Once again some design student somewhere has A Big loving Idea and people have to suffer because it sounds much cooler than designs with literal centuries of refinement behind them.
Paging twisto to the thread. Paging goddamned twisto to the thread.

http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/iceberg-making-submarine-to-combat-sea-level-rise-2019-8

Pochoclo posted:

None of the American subcontinents give a gently caress about protected EU denominations, we just make lovely knockoffs of anything we want, yet strangely we haven’t ever copied pork pies for some reason :thunk:
Cultural inability to replicate the finest Melton pigpaste.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

I take it back, there is no hope for you and you deserve everything that's happening right now.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I quite like pork pies.

I will concede that my idea of culinary sophistication is putting walnuts into a ham and cheese sandwich, though.

And that I enjoy salt and shake crisps without the salt, which IIRC was described once in UKMT as "Theresa May if Theresa May were crisps" :v:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 30, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

sauer kraut posted:

I take it back, there is no hope for you and you deserve everything that's happening right now.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

having said that, I quite enjoy bland british food. I think pies are nice but maybe that's because I don't eat meat anymore.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Pochoclo posted:

I can only speak for Latin America but lol those british plain pork pies have no loving chance in hell

Like I ate one once for the novelty and it’s like, not terrible, but good luck if you think there’s a market out there for those

Also even if there was, they’d just make their own. Why the gently caress would you ship a pork pie thousands of kilometers or pay for a brand :psyduck:

did you forget that gammons are completely selfcentered and also braindead

of course they think their precious pork pies are a sought-after commodity everywhere

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Argentinians have a massive hardon for Scottish whisky though so not all is lost, trade it for meat and soybeans

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Sounds like you guys are eating pork pies wrong, they're not plain or bland, you just forgot to plop a dollop of Branston on

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ you could just eat the branston straight, like a bad hombre

wonder how long it took someone to send the link to the hotel

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

sauer kraut posted:

i've eaten black pudding and pear stuff before, it was okay

i like black pudding though, but not pears that much

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Borrovan posted:

Sounds like you guys are eating pork pies wrong, they're not plain or bland, you just forgot to plop a dollop of Branston on

*nervously glances at a can of Branston baked beans and a jar of Branston pickle, one in each hand*

I mean yeah you could also add vinegar and brown sauce and marmite to it but can we really call that a pork pie anymore?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

if you level up your pork pie it'll evolve into a sausage roll

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

The shell looks nice enough, but eating cold fatty spam is a no-go I'm afraid.
Maybe if the filling was a nice chili bean salad with feta and a yummy sauce or something.

Yeah I can tell you Americans don't like pork pies. Cold pork is something they view as Just Weird and that's before they encounter the jelly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

Argentinians have a massive hardon for Scottish whisky though so not all is lost, trade it for meat and soybeans

Right up until indyref 2 anyway. ..

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pochoclo posted:

Yeah this is good for me in Canada now because it means I can get non-DOP parmesan and other cheeses. I'm vegetarian and the DOP-mandated recipes for Parmesan, Gorgonzola and some other cheeses specify calf rennet. Here they just say "gently caress it" and make it with microbial rennet instead. You can still find the proper DOP stuff if you want it though.

Pochoclo posted:

Interesting. Like how Guinness is massively popular in Nigeria and Cameroon.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Interesting. Like how Guinness is massively popular in Nigeria and Cameroon.

Rather different Guinness though, it's stronger and sweeter. You get it in the Caribbean section of Tesco sometimes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

Nigeria and Cameroon

feedmegin posted:

Caribbean section
:cryingcecilrhodes:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Pochoclo's obviously more of an expert than me on this, but as I understand it Argentina (other than in matters relating to a certain group of islands) is often weirdly Anglophile. In that the Brits were invited in after Spain went "why can't I hold, all this silver" and built a bunch of railways and showed them how to play rugby and cricket.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

baka kaba posted:

Only if you level it up while it's holding a Bread Loaf though, otherwise you get a Gammon and those are a waste of good IVs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paul.Power posted:

Pochoclo's obviously more of an expert than me on this, but as I understand it Argentina (other than in matters relating to a certain group of islands) is often weirdly Anglophile. In that the Brits were invited in after Spain went "why can't I hold, all this silver" and built a bunch of railways and showed them how to play rugby and cricket.
Makes sense, Britain's only about 200 miles away.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

baka kaba posted:

*emulsified high fat offal tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzeDZtx3wUw

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1167403241249869824?s=20

E: Unrelated but interesting:

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1167413069787684865?s=20

Prob won't come to anything mind.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Had it confirmed at the doctors today - she is five weeks and 1 day along, so we are looking at a due date of end of April/early May.

We’re visiting my parents tomorrow and are going to surprise them with the news. She doesn’t have anything to do with her family so that makes things considerably easier going forward.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The economy has been kidnapped by Brexit!

Are you a bad enough hombre to sell pork pies to the yanks?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Had it confirmed at the doctors today - she is five weeks and 1 day along, so we are looking at a due date of end of April/early May.

We’re visiting my parents tomorrow and are going to surprise them with the news. She doesn’t have anything to do with her family so that makes things considerably easier going forward.

Congrats on your bab.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Paul.Power posted:

Argentinians and Britons are exactly the same people by temperament. Preening, past-it victim mentality.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Eyyy congrats bud.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Wikipedia posted:

The Melton Mowbray pork pie is named after Melton Mowbray, a town in Leicestershire. While it is sometimes claimed that Melton pies became popular among fox hunters in the area in the late eighteenth century [..] Whether true or not the association with hunting provided valuable publicity, although one local hunting columnist writing in 1872 stated that it was extremely unlikely that "our aristocratic visitors carry lumps of pie with them on horseback".

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Paul.Power posted:

Yeah Argentina had an extremely close relationship with Britain, peaking right before the 30s. Argentinians believe themselves to be the Europe of South America, worship basically anything British (lost count of the sheer amount of football jerseys I've brought for family and friends back there), just as long as you don't mention MalvinasFalklands to a hardcore peronist type you're golden

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ms Adequate posted:

The economy has been kidnapped by Brexit!

Are you a bad enough hombre to sell pork pies to the yanks?

*back to back pose with finger guns*

Melt'n'Mowbray - taking the fight to the Corbynistas

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

sauer kraut posted:

My Englishness is not perfect, but I have to tell you, your pies are like catfood to us.

Do I have that right? I'm saying that the cat that's sitting on my feet right now would eat this pie.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Pochoclo posted:

Yeah Argentina had an extremely close relationship with Britain, peaking right before the 30s. Argentinians believe themselves to be the Europe of South America, worship basically anything British (lost count of the sheer amount of football jerseys I've brought for family and friends back there), just as long as you don't mention MalvinasFalklands to a hardcore peronist type you're golden

A lot of British migrants settled in Argentina during the 19th century, especially from the Celtic countries. There are still several Welsh-speaking communities in Patagonia.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Whooo congrats to you both! :D

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, it'd be swell if when you say metal average people would be able to think of a band more recent than Limp Bizkit

Limp Bizkit represent the last time metal was near the mainstream. The various abominations of the 80s represent the time before that. If metal is getting near the mainstream it's a very bad sign, like whales beaching themselves or something.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Mrenda posted:

I think MAH's morning show has enough variety to keep me interested. Shaun Keaveney plays a middle-aged, raised on cider and the 90s curmudgeon for the laugh, but it's painfully obvious to see through his (probably what he wants to be different) choice of music. The afternoon's on 6Music have been rather plain for a while, though. For me it's MAH's morning show that reinvigorated it, and the evening continues to be good. And she does play metal, and will often have shows where she plays quite a bit of it. It just changes, because she has a wide taste.

I like Shaun Keaveny but I think If I listened every day his schtick would become a bit trying.

I still haven't got over the move of Radcliffe and Maconie. Yes, they were samey and cliquey and getting a bit long in the tooth, but I listened to them every day during my PhD and their idiocy kind of got me through the tougher times. Also whenever they had John Shuttleworth on as a guest it was just the most wholesome, Northern thing ever and I loved them. Never did choose me on the bloody chain though.

Jarvis Cocker was also great on Sunday afternoons. I remember one week it was broadcast from The Crucible during the snooker, and an episode where he wandered around a museum of obsolete media in Paris. Just perfect Sunday radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

just as long as you don't mention MalvinasFalklands to a hardcore peronist type you're golden
Or WW2 to that reclusive old bastard living near Nahuel Huapi.