Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Are there a bunch of blown up first responders y/n

Jokes on you, we were targeting first responders with the initial strike!

3 Pinocchios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squalid posted:

these reports are coming entirely from extremely unreliable sources: reported by like Turkish papers relying on anonymous Iraqi government officials. Until you have trustworthy evidence you should treat this as baseless speculation.

yeah of course, im generally going to look into any negative reports on rojava with a grain of salt

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kanine posted:

so in the c-spam middle east thread people are claiming israel is launching strikes out of rojava :popeye:

Ask yourself which jingoistic country that offers unconditional support to Israeli military controls bases in Rojava, and then consider whether these reports should cast a shadow on the Kurds, or rather this imperialist country with a track record of unauthorized military interventions in the Middle East.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 30, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1167493371973255170?s=21

lmao holy poo poo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Ask yourself which jingoistic country that offers unconditional support to Israeli military controls bases in Rojava, and then consider whether these reports should cast a shadow on the Kurds, or rather this imperialist country with a track record of unauthorized military interventions in the Middle East.

A better question is to ask yourself which forum you're reading this on, and whether or not you should believe anything you read there.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

What a loving moron

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I very specifically did not shoot the victim at 8pm last night. Why am I randomly telling you this unprompted? It's because I'm totally innocent and want to make sure you don't think I did a murder, officer.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

A better question is to ask yourself which forum you're reading this on, and whether or not you should believe anything you read there.
Plenty of cranks post in this thread, I am sure someone who read it could repeat what you say but about being associated with SA in general.

In this thread we frequently see things posted that didn't come from reputable sources. As with anything you should take it with a grain of salt. Bana was held as a credible source and discussed in this forum, and I like to hear these claims, even if I don't believe them. Tons of local sources are way faster and on the ball than established media. We live in a world where "the paper of record" and many other establishment media published lies which had disastrous consequences.

I would like to hear about that possibility, unlikely as it is. To me it doesn't seem beyond the pale. These airstrikes are at the very least supported and allowed by the US. The US supports Israel in their bombing attacks on Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and now the Houthi's. Its not crazy to think they would allow Israel to base planes there. Once again, I don't think its likely. Just possible.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Israel had supported various Kurdish groups in the past, I remember reading about instances in the 60s. So yeah it's not impossible; what's the evidence behind this claim?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It gets better:

quote:

Trump may have revealed US military secrets by tweeting a photo to taunt Iran

President Donald Trump looks to have shared a photograph of an intelligence briefing that could have exposed US military secrets to the world while taunting Iran over Twitter.

Iran on Thursday suffered a failure of a satellite launch vehicle that blew up on the ground. Immediately after the test, commercial satellites photographed the wreckage and sold the images to civilian analysts.

But on Friday, Trump shared an image that put the commercial satellite photography to shame. Trump's photo looks like it was snapped from a large print out of a very detailed close up of the launch. The notations and presentation of the image suggests it likely comes from US intelligence services, possibly in a briefing for the president.

In releasing the high-res image, Trump noted Iran had suffered a "catastrophic accident," adding: "I wish Iran best wishes and good luck in determining what happened at Site One."

Images shared on Wednesday were much more distant and less detailed.

So Trump's photo revealed either that the US has fantastic satellite photography capabilities, far beyond what Iran, or even US civilians can get their hands on, or that the US had a drone close enough to take pictures.

However, the extreme angle of the picture makes it look like it wasn't taken from space, but rather from an aircraft.

The launch took place at the Imam Khomeini Space Center North West of Tehran. This location is more than 120 miles from Iran's nearest border. If a drone took the photo, it was either flying over Iranian airspace undetected or somehow able to take a great picture from 120 miles away.

Both of those situations involving drone photography would be big news.

"I think I just got flexed on by the president," David Schmerler, a leading expert on open source imagery analysis, told Business Insider of the image. Schmerler had spent hours the night before analyzing the widely available pictures of the failed launch, but was blown away by the quality of Trump's image.

"I've never seen anything like this before," he said. "I know that [the US military has] amazing capabilities, but I don't know what this is."

Trump, as president, has the power to easily declassify photos and documents, such as the picture of Iran's failed launch.

But the photo does not look like it was prepared by US intelligence agents. Instead, a camera flash can be seen on the surface of the image, which was most likely a printout. The image may also show the shadow of the photographer.

It would be highly unusual for a president to declassify an image captured by a non-public military asset to mock another country.

Business Insider has reached out to several open source image analysts to see what else this photo may tell us about the US's activity in surveilling Iran and will update the post with any further revelations.

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1167512947079503872

Declassification by Tweet.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Israel had supported various Kurdish groups in the past, I remember reading about instances in the 60s. So yeah it's not impossible; what's the evidence behind this claim?

There is now no public evidence, nor is there any reason to give the benefit of the doubt to the insane MidEast state propaganda rags repeating they story.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I can't even imagine how demoralizing it must be to have an ounce of brain, be in the armed forces of any kind and see your POTUS sabotage all your efforts like this lmao. He literally did a silly thing from Rick and Morty with this one.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

My “not involved in the catastrophic accident during final launch preparations for the Safir SLV Launch at Semnan Launch Site One in Iran” shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Here's another example of the administration being unbelievably dysfunctional. I don't have any love for John Bolton, but why the gently caress does he have the position he has if he's not allowed access to negotiations?

https://twitter.com/GregJaffe/status/1167553910804008960

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

but ahhh dont you understand rojava totally willingly aligned with america, because reasons and something something anarkiddies

goes back to masturbating over framed images of assad and putin shaking hands

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hezbollah is not poor in an sense.
They are like the Germans of terrorist groups, Very caution of monetary spending. They aren't using a lot of capital to create adhoc built rockets and draw from worldwide spanning income avenues. Drug sales, Smuggling all over the planet, passport sales abductions, Venezuelan operational safe havens aswell as african ones and oil sales / middle manning. this take seems to be the equivalent of a new yorker style calling someone a bum

https://www.mei.edu/publications/hezbollah-allegedly-training-nigerian-shiites-expand-influence-west-africa

Thanks for the link from a think tank whose top funders are the UAE and Aramco!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Here's another example of the administration being unbelievably dysfunctional. I don't have any love for John Bolton, but why the gently caress does he have the position he has if he's not allowed access to negotiations?

https://twitter.com/GregJaffe/status/1167553910804008960

Who has the authority to deny the National Security Advisor the right to a document?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Roland posted:

Who has the authority to deny the National Security Advisor the right to a document?

The President, who's got a love/hate relationship with leaks?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Literally the only power the national security adviser has is the right to whisper in the President's ear. . . Generals and cabinet Secretaries don't have to tell him poo poo if Trump won't make them

Squalid fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 31, 2019

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

That rocket was whacked by natural causes

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Does the flash artifact in the center of the picture mean trump whipped his phone out and flashed a picture of a piece of briefing material AS HE WAS BEING loving BRIEFED ON THE SITUATION?? So military leaders surround him all formally breifing him before he shouts,"shut the gently caress up for a minute Im tweeting this to the ayatollah"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Squalid posted:

these reports are coming entirely from extremely unreliable sources: reported by like Turkish papers relying on anonymous Iraqi government officials. Until you have trustworthy evidence you should treat this as baseless speculation.

But why would Turkey lie about Israel operating out of Rojava? It's not like it's full of people they want to genocide.

Oh, wait

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Does the flash artifact in the center of the picture mean trump whipped his phone out and flashed a picture of a piece of briefing material AS HE WAS BEING loving BRIEFED ON THE SITUATION?? So military leaders surround him all formally breifing him before he shouts,"shut the gently caress up for a minute Im tweeting this to the ayatollah"

Yeah lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grapplejack posted:

But why would Turkey lie

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Ataturk has grampa Munster eyebrows.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The US seems to have bombed a big meeting of jihadist leaders in Idlib and killed dozens of people.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a good video on how it was possible to establish the photograph used by Donald Trump in his tweet about the Iranian space rocket exploding was likely classified imagery from a spy satellite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRLVFn9z0Gc

Also, it looks like the Saudi coalition bombed a detention centre in Yemen, killing at least 100

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1168176690155200513

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 1, 2019

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

So with Security Belt forces now being attacked by IS/AQAP suicide attacks, how much is their presence allowed by Saudi Arabia? It seems like they are being used as a proxy of Saudi Arabia out in the open. Does anyone think its a coincidence?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brown Moses posted:

Also, it looks like the Saudi coalition bombed a detention centre in Yemen, killing at least 100

So who is in that coalition now anyway? The Emirates left. Did Israel actually join already, or is that still just a project?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cat Mattress posted:

So who is in that coalition now anyway? The Emirates left.

Emirates did not leave the SLC.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We've just released our new batch of reports on Yemen, 20 out today adding to the 5 or so we published a couple of months ago. Newsy put together this video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjjZNxPKbZc

Here's the summary of the reports, where we paid special attention to the JIAT that's often cited by those arming Saudi Arabia as evidence they're taking violations of IHL seriously:

quote:

The Joint Incident Assessment Team (JIAT), a body established and run by the Saudi/UAE-led coalition in 2016 in response to claims of potential IHL violations, has been roundly condemned as ineffectual by Human Rights Watch and the United Nations Group of Eminent Experts. Bellingcat’s investigations support those condemnations. For example, in relation to the Abs Prison bombing, JIAT stated it had targeted two-weapon depots in Abs on 2015/05/13 that it claims were used by the Houthis. JIAT also claimed that it did not target nor damage the Abs prison and that the buildings targeted were 900 meters and 1,300 meters away from the prison respectively. Further, it found that both market attacks outlined above, Zabid and Fayoush, did not take place at all. JIAT’s brazen dismissal of the incidents investigated by Bellingcat is not singular or unique in its nature but rather represents a pattern of impunity and lack of accountability that has thus far shaped JIAT’s work on Yemen. JIAT investigated only 10 incidents from the set. In 7 of the reports JIAT either concluded that no attack happened or made a factual finding that appear to be incorrect, absolving the Coalition of responsibility.

Only on one occasion in this set, the infamous 9th of August 2018 strike targeting a bus full of children in the Northern Governorate of Sa’ada on did JIAT fully acknowledge the strike and express the intention to hold accountable those involved in the planning and execution of the bus bombing. However, JIAT’s recommendations only extended to condemning the striking of the bus while it was in a market (causing disproportionate civilian harm contrary to international law) - it did not acknowledge that the bus’s occupants were children. Even in the event that the bus was carrying high-value military personnel in addition to the children, an accountability body such as JIAT should address the deaths of the boys and explain why their deaths amounted to lawful collateral damage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Follow-up:

https://twitter.com/wajahatali/status/1168562410774573056?s=21

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dR61b8U_Ac

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Coldwar timewarp posted:

So with Security Belt forces now being attacked by IS/AQAP suicide attacks, how much is their presence allowed by Saudi Arabia? It seems like they are being used as a proxy of Saudi Arabia out in the open. Does anyone think its a coincidence?

Well a year or two ago the rumor was AQAP was being covertly backed by the UAE and Security Belt forces. I don't think anybody backs IS, they're pretty well hated by everybody else. However people have definitely been willing to look the other way while AQAP fought the Houthi themselves, and if a few crate loads of guns fell off the back of a truck and found it's way into their hands nobody has been willing to ask too many questions.

If AQAP has been in more frequent conflict wit the Security Belt forces its probably for the same reason they seemed to work with them. They are just physically closer and in more frequent contact, so when their interests align they collaborate but when they don't they clash. Then again, who knows, I wouldn't put it past the Saudis to conspire with them for some stupid purpose.

Cat Mattress posted:

So who is in that coalition now anyway? The Emirates left. Did Israel actually join already, or is that still just a project?

The most important other member is Sudan, who has supplied a lot of troops. Their presence was important in for example the siege of Hodiedah. They haven't been very important as decision makers or policy setters because they are basically just there as mercenaries. the Sudanese government gets fat stacks of cash for their participation and that seems to be their sole interest in the affair. Besides them all other assistance is pretty much token gestures of support.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/MujMash/status/1168542482688331776?s=19

Goons. I'm pleased to announce peace with honor.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 2, 2019

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So.... Everything is going back to the way it was before. And thousands will be killed for being collaborators. Lol

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

orange sky posted:

So.... Everything is going back to the way it was before. And thousands will be killed for being collaborators. Lol

Yup and it was always going to be that way.

It's Tim Kreider on Iraq almost 15 years ago, but substantially the same

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do wonder how this is going to pan out. The Taliban didn't exactly have a long-term sustainable plan for Afghanistan, but then, neither has anyone else since 1973. I guess it's just going to be an endless parade of warlords carving up what little is left of the country between them until everyone dies or flees because of climate change.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

orange sky posted:

This is how basically every american military action ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

suck my woke dick posted:

Yup and it was always going to be that way.

It's Tim Kreider on Iraq almost 15 years ago, but substantially the same

Looks like Kreider's friend Jim has been secretly in control of policy all along!