Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

I don't even know what SSOCS is!

Imagine that your world is so big that the server cannot load it all at the same time. So it only loads the parts where players are active. That's it! Wow!

Like in Super Mario Bros the NES only loads the screen where Mario is and streams more objects (and goombas, maybe some koopas) into memory when Mario moves right, because it cannot load the whole level at one time. This revolutionary technique is arguably an early example of SSOCS

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Star Citizen: Slaughtered Development

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

hello

• after many, many assurances that the crytek lawsuit would not proceed, chris & co are scrambling (no elaboration)
  • emails, contracts, recorded conversations and biz licences are being sent for review (legal review?)
  • Erin "extremely nervous" about outcome, although showing a "carefree attitude" around the office
  • "I know for a fact he doesn't want another Gizmondo on his hands. Once was enough."
  • aegis backer event: "Our goal was to be totally positive. We nailed it."
  • production on certain parts of the game are stopped completely until legal avenues are resolved
  • mostly that means engine and server improvements
  • this halt is scheduled to begin 9/3, but employees have known about it for some time
  • engine switch most likely in the cards, deep discussions about stadia/UE4 ongoing
  • "Anything made or built with CryEngine would be discarded and re-coded." including animations, models, maps, client and server side code, etc
  • "We'd have to redo a lot of work. It'd be worth it, because it's the only way forward."

ahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Star Citizen 2020: "We've decided to switch to Unreal, new release target is 2022"

All Three Remaining Backers: "Now there's the Chairman I know and love!" :smuggo:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Because, yes, currently their servers load every single object in their stupid universe at the same time. Because they are morons

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheAgent posted:

[*]"Anything made or built with CryEngine would be discarded and re-coded." including animations, models, maps, client and server side code, etc

That's all they have lmao

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Slow_Moe posted:

I, and my 14 alts, have done my part here. Looking forward to my check in the mail from Derek.

All is going according to plan.

We are all Derek alts, not Derek shills. This whole thread is Derek sock puppets talking to themselves (himself?).

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Chris Roberts is the world's biggest quality-over-deadlines proponent

It's terribly unfortunate how he is always failed by his bumbling incompetent subordinates through no fault of his own and forced to release total poo poo time and time again

If I were Epic I'd refuse to sell them a copy of the Unreal license, gently caress having this albatross anywhere near my codebase

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sarsapariller posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Star Citizen 2020: "We've decided to switch to Unreal, new release target is 2022"

All Three Remaining Backers: "Now there's the Chairman I know and love!" :smuggo:

It's probably going to be closer to 4+ years 2 weeks. The main work for the switch will happen in two days though. In a holidays weekend.

And in this most open development project they will reveal that they've been already working on the transition for a year so it's not so bad.

Now, where did we hear that before...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Sheesh, I dunno, it's almost like they're making it up as they go along to placate an investor who has a sizeable sum in the project.

Erin totally doesn't sound like someone talking faster and faster to blind an investor with science and to promote a false sense of confidence in the project. No sirree Bob.

As a software engineer my word is the law and I bet your face is even uglier than your mom's, you idiot. you're dismissed.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Erin totally doesn't sound like someone talking faster and faster to blind an investor with science and to promote a false sense of confidence in the project. No sirree Bob.

Maybe he borrowed some of Chris' "vitamins" for the broadcast.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Chris Roberts is the world's biggest quality-over-deadlines proponent

It's terribly unfortunate how he is always failed by his bumbling incompetent subordinates through no fault of his own and forced to release total poo poo time and time again

If I were Epic I'd refuse to sell them a copy of the Unreal license, gently caress having this albatross anywhere near my codebase

Well, IF Crytek wins the case, and presumably, gets some sort of injunction against CI(G?), Epic would no doubt learn of this quickly. And with that knowledge I doubt they would do business with crobbers.

After all, they have had that thing going with Silicon Knights and the development of Too Human.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Fidelitious posted:

It probably is actually a good move though. I mean, they're switching engines because of legal reasons when they should have done it a while ago because of technical reasons, better late than never right?

There's really only a couple viable game engines that also provide the kind of developer support that they're likely looking for, so Unreal seems like a good choice (that they should have made 6 years ago).
I'm actually kind of surprised that they would be stressing out over the lawsuit. It's a money burner sure, but Crytek's case looks really weak from my uneducated perspective.

I mean, yeah it actually is a good idea, as their current engine of choice isn't suitable at all for the project, I am not disputing that at all. It is just that the backers have fully invested in the whole Star Engine / Lumberyard hype, where Star Engine was supposed to be this custom engine that was miles ahead of competition on every level and the change to Lumberyard brought Amazon on board (fully, if some backers are to be believed). It would just be extremely funny to see the mental gymnastics needed to pivot that hard in regard to the engine.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

As a software engineer my word is the law and I bet your face is even uglier than your mom's, you idiot. you're dismissed.

Eeh, space court when?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

What's the relationship between Epic/Unreal Engine and Epic Games Store that some people are so riled up about?

Like, if they are the same Epic, what will happen to Cymelion if CIG engine-switches to Tencent-Unreal?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Golli posted:

What's the relationship between Epic/Unreal Engine and Epic Games Store that some people are so riled up about?

Like, if they are the same Epic, what will happen to Cymelion if CIG engine-switches to Tencent-Unreal?

We were at war with Eurasia all along. I love Epic.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Hazamuth posted:

I mean, yeah it actually is a good idea, as their current engine of choice isn't suitable at all for the project, I am not disputing that at all. It is just that the backers have fully invested in the whole Star Engine / Lumberyard hype, where Star Engine was supposed to be this custom engine that was miles ahead of competition on every level and the change to Lumberyard brought Amazon on board (fully, if some backers are to be believed). It would just be extremely funny to see the mental gymnastics needed to pivot that hard in regard to the engine.

OK, agreed, but let me give it a shot.

1. CryEngine was state of the art in 2012 (+/-4 years) when the project was kick-started.
2. It's become obvious over the past year (+/-4 years) that CryEngine isn't good enough.
3. Ergo, we need to switch engines you goon fuckwit.

:smuggo:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Star Citizen: gently caress you, got minelayer. Staggered by Development Hell

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Just a quick note to wish our Floridagoons good luck on the upcoming hurricane.

Cat 4 at landfall, and Central Florida preemptively declaring disaster status based on the current track.

Keep Kayak safe.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

To be slightly more nuanced while still retaining the “loving idiots” angle…

It is entirely normal to stagger releases. It's a pretty standard methodology. It's just that, at that point, you're not “working on different versions/patches” but simply working on different components, and whatever is ready for roll-out in any given release window is rolled into that release.

So the loving-idiot-angle is less about version interdependencies as it is about “well duh, this is exactly the same thing you've been doing all along, except you now have 6-month windows to be wrong about rather than 3-month ones… loving idiots.”

Staggered dev is the poo poo though

If we define the amount of work delivered as the product of resources and time as

W=M * m, where

W is work delivered measured in man months
M are the available resources measured in number of devs, or "men".
m is the number of months

For a period of 6 months the amount of work delivered is:

A) One team composed of 500 devs, W=500*6=3000 man months
B) Two teams composed of 250 devs each, W=250*6*2= 3000 man months

:shrug:

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Star Citizen: Staggering Development

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Jonny Shiloh posted:

OK, agreed, but let me give it a shot.

1. CryEngine was state of the art in 2012 (+/-4 years) when the project was kick-started.
2. It's become obvious over the past year (+/-4 years) that CryEngine isn't good enough.
3. Ergo, we need to switch engines you goon fuckwit.

:smuggo:

Cryengine? Pfft, Star Engine will revolutionalise making games

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

MedicineHut posted:

Staggered dev is the poo poo though

If we define the amount of work delivered as the product of resources and time as

W=M * m, where

W is work delivered measured in man months
M are the available resources measured in number of devs, or "men".
m is the number of months

For a period of 6 months the amount of work delivered is:

A) One team composed of 500 devs, W=500*6=3000 man months
B) Two teams composed of 250 devs each, W=250*6*2= 3000 man months

:shrug:

No it's better than that, because:

A) half the dev team is working on patch *n* - lands quarter *n*
B) the other half is working on patch *n+1* - lands quarter *n+1*

That's the genius of the system you see - half as many devs working on twice as many patches! So everything takes twice as long!!! You see Clive, that's why everything's taking so much longer than we told you in our pitch for the $48 million dollars!!!

(Keep talking Erin, I think he's buying it).

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

TheAgent posted:

hello

• after many, many assurances that the crytek lawsuit would not proceed, chris & co are scrambling (no elaboration)
  • emails, contracts, recorded conversations and biz licences are being sent for review (legal review?)
  • Erin "extremely nervous" about outcome, although showing a "carefree attitude" around the office
  • "I know for a fact he doesn't want another Gizmondo on his hands. Once was enough."
  • aegis backer event: "Our goal was to be totally positive. We nailed it."
  • production on certain parts of the game are stopped completely until legal avenues are resolved
  • mostly that means engine and server improvements
  • this halt is scheduled to begin 9/3, but employees have known about it for some time
  • engine switch most likely in the cards, deep discussions about stadia/UE4 ongoing
  • "Anything made or built with CryEngine would be discarded and re-coded." including animations, models, maps, client and server side code, etc
  • "We'd have to redo a lot of work. It'd be worth it, because it's the only way forward."

Switching off of cryengine is a good move. As much as I like making GBS threads on this fyre festival, this is the only thing that can help the backers now.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Clearly you know nothing about Game Development, you staggering minelaying FUDster

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The more I read this the more I'm convinced that there isn't a single person at CIG with any experience managing software development

These guys are still developing on the waterfall model like its the 90s

And rather than learning proper agile mentality they've decided to invent their own leapfrog waterfall model. Its staggering.

what happened to their 24 hours per day development where work would be handed over at the end of a shift to a studio in a different time zone?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Slow_Moe posted:

I, and my 14 alts, have done my part here. Looking forward to my check in the mail from Derek.

All is going according to plan.

Are you still getting paid by check?

I've switched over to getting paid in Derekcoin - the way I see it, it's the currency of the future right now. You should switch over, it's the Smart thing to do.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kosumo posted:

Are you still getting paid by check?

I've switched over to getting paid in Derekcoin - the way I see it, it's the currency of the future right now. You should switch over, it's the Smart thing to do.

The only downside is that it's only good as in-game currency in the hit MMOFPS Line of Defense. But then, why would you need anything else?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : sexy leapfrogging bear action,come in and rub,stagger one out m'lord.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Hazamuth posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable engine change and how backers will justify it.

CR to calder "i don't have any choice but to switch engines and delay everything by at least a year, ps any chance of another 46 million?"

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Baxta posted:

Switching off of cryengine is a good move. As much as I like making GBS threads on this fyre festival, this is the only thing that can help the backers now.

The project is a unsalvageable trash fire either way. Switch off of cryenging at *this* point and that will only kill the thing dead quicker (calling it!).

It would have been a good move years ago, yes. As would have been not promising the stars and actually adopting common development compromises.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

stinch posted:

what happened to their 24 hours per day development where work would be handed over at the end of a shift to a studio in a different time zone?

Turns out software development is not a remote-controlled automated conveyor-line canned-bean factory.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Didn't they only pick Cryengine in the first place because they hired Crytech to make the initial concept demo?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AbstractNapper posted:

The project is an unsalvageable trash fire either way. Switch off of cryengine at *this* point and that will only kill the thing dead quicker (calling it!).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

I am somewhat skeptical of TheAgent's rumor about an engine switch.

IMO it's not in crobo's financial interest to switch engines. There is some level of risk that this could result in a premature end of the project. With the current trajectory Crobo and his family can continue milking true believers for at least another 2 years (perhaps even more?).

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Daztek posted:

I wish MoMA was here to tell us how this is good for Star Citizen

I like to think there is a bit of MoMA inside all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

skeletors_condom posted:

I am somewhat skeptical of TheAgent's rumor about an engine switch.

IMO it's not in crobo's financial interest to switch engines. There is some level of risk that this could result in a premature end of the project. With the current trajectory Crobo and his family can continue milking true believers for at least another 2 years (perhaps even more?).

Yeah, this - of course they're not going to switch engines, they've got seven years' worth of backers faith invested in the wonder of Cry/Star/LumberEngine.

It would be absolutely hilarious if they did switch though.