Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

MonsieurChoc posted:

This reminds me (in a good way) of the Rumours thread we used to have on RPG.net. Someone put them all into a pdf:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ls4xd2jn5bf5pj/World_of_Darkness_Rumors.pdf/file

Some good stuff in there.

Compiling this PDF was my only real self-taught Scribus project, and I did it the hardest-headed way possible. If I ever wanted to update it, editing it internally would be a nightmare. Every chapter of rumors is one continuous text string that overflows from one page's text box into the next. If I ever do it again, I gotta do it smarter.

Fortunately, I think the problems are mostly invisible on the reader's end. It just doesn't look quite as pretty as I could have made it if I were smarter.

I'm very proud of the "back cover" that exists solely to mimic the format of actual books.

And yes, the Rumors in the Style of Unknown Armies threads were amazing, which is what motivated me to put this together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Make one newsletter where it's just Rot13 text of the Book of Nod. Offer (fake) Noddist lore to curious camarillians and when the prince gets cranky say a higher up asked you to sew disinformation amongst the curious to dissuade anyone discovering Horrible Truths.

Posts like these make me want to play VtM again.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Inzombiac posted:

This is why I prefer the version from Lucifer.
He can't make anyone do something they don't want to do, he just draws up their desires to the surface.

Even when I played a Daeva for a long campaign, I didn't use my powers for sexual reasons. It was more, "Let's be best friends and OH WHOOPS looks like those guys are gonna hurt me, please help!"
Still monsterous for putting people in harm's way for my own gain but hey, that's Vampire!

Presence is more ethical than dominate for sure

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oberst posted:

Presence is more ethical than dominate for sure

Hahhahaha good joke v funny

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Potence/Vigor is more ethical than Dominate or Presence.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Libertad! posted:

Posts like these make me want to play VtM again.

I'm still interested in helping with that comedy themed game if anyone else wants in.

Dec 26, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Potence/Vigor is more ethical than Dominate or Presence.

There is no ethical blood consumption under vampirism.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Compiling this PDF was my only real self-taught Scribus project, and I did it the hardest-headed way possible. If I ever wanted to update it, editing it internally would be a nightmare. Every chapter of rumors is one continuous text string that overflows from one page's text box into the next. If I ever do it again, I gotta do it smarter.

Fortunately, I think the problems are mostly invisible on the reader's end. It just doesn't look quite as pretty as I could have made it if I were smarter.

I'm very proud of the "back cover" that exists solely to mimic the format of actual books.

And yes, the Rumors in the Style of Unknown Armies threads were amazing, which is what motivated me to put this together.

I’m just glad I’m in it. Thanks for the hard work.

:unsmith:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

01011001 posted:

There is no ethical blood consumption under vampirism.

Fortitude is the only ethical choice, because it's an invitation to be punched every time you show your face in public.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The only ethical discipline is Party discipline :ussr:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I'm still interested in helping with that comedy themed game if anyone else wants in.

I would but my home game is ramping up and we'll be starting on a week or two.
If I get any good stories out of it, I'll post them here.

Talk to me about your Nosferatu mutations. I don't want to play someone that is just monsterously ugly, I want to be unnerving. Like a big frog mouth or an aura that makes people have really dry eyes.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Inzombiac posted:

Talk to me about your Nosferatu mutations. I don't want to play someone that is just monsterously ugly, I want to be unnerving. Like a big frog mouth or an aura that makes people have really dry eyes.

Every breath sounds like exactly a death rattle. Sure, vampires don't breathe, but they do to talk and blend in. So either your Nosferatu is silent and never breathes - unnerving on its own - or he's death rattling just to say 'Pass the bloodbag'.

Alternatively, an isopod-shaped tongue with a goddamn human face that whispers secrets in place of an ordinary voice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also tonight we finished the first part of the Darkness Revealed adventures for 1E Trinity and my players seem really into it. They liked the setpiece gunfight in the giant crystal building rolling down Olympus Mons on Mars.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Inzombiac posted:

Every time she's around, everyone's palms, inner elbows, the backs of their knees, and their crotches get really sweaty. It just comes out of nowhere the moment they see her, and it doesn't stop until she's gone again.

No other effects.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Permanent partially-working Obfuscate; segments of your head and body are completely invisible, revealing the organs inside.

A curse to loudly fart every time a room is completely silent.

Features completely wiped off; skin the texture of a mannequin on a far-from-beautiful face.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Inzombiac posted:

Eyelids that blink from the bottom up
A solid chunk of bone in place of separate teeth
A cluster of holes like lotus flower seed pods where your ears should be
Hair that looks like spiraling fingernail clippings
Nose with a single, central nostril
Footsteps and incidental contact (like brushing a hand against a desk) that always sounds wet and sloppy
Hands that leave sticky, full handprints on anything they touch
Arms and legs without visible elbow/knee bones, the flesh just bends there

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Eyelids that blink from the bottom up
A solid chunk of bone in place of separate teeth
A cluster of holes like lotus flower seed pods where your ears should be
Hair that looks like spiraling fingernail clippings
Nose with a single, central nostril
Footsteps and incidental contact (like brushing a hand against a desk) that always sounds wet and sloppy
Hands that leave sticky, full handprints on anything they touch
Arms and legs without visible elbow/knee bones, the flesh just bends there
You're just describing Yuffie from Final Fantasy 7 now.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nessus posted:

You're just describing Yuffie from Final Fantasy 7 now.
Am I Wrong

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

A gnarly but hardly monstrous scar that just never seems to be in the same place each time you look at it. But you're not sure.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Human teeth in a place where there should not be teeth, and not in the place where there should be teeth

Parasitic twin that talks

Rogu?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

These are all really great.

I had a Nos NPC in my last game that was Ken Doll perfect. It mixed well with that he never used Blush so he straight-up looked plastic. Even his hair looked like a single object, like a LEGO piece.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

ive always thought Valeria Lukyanova was a really effective Nos concept (in Requiem at least)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's from a Tzimisce I played (almost two decades ago Jesus loving ugh) but something I was really jazzed about was giving him vaguely coral-textured "skin" on his lips, cheeks and the palms of his hands. It was subtle enough that he just looked kind of weird at a distance in good light, but they were all these minuscule sworls of razor ridges, like exaggerated fingerprints on all the exposed skin that's socially considered "intimate." In between the ridges the tissue was a soft sponge, so that the rough prominent surface could quickly abrade and slice skin and then he could "drink" as the blood flowed into the crevices.

If you ugly it up so that the Nos looks like a walking patch of eczema or a cellulitis or burn scar, and take away the benefits of the Kiss, that right there's a hosed up dude just looking for a hug.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

a mouth that opens all the way down your neck, like this weird nightmare yoshi

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Or an adult-sized harlequin baby.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
eyes all over the inside of your mouth and throat

alternatively, looking like one of those images where they swap the mouth and eyes

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
teeth replacing your fingernails, but empty gums in your mouth

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

No gross external physical abnormalities, but tiny hands pushing outward from the inside, always, like the body is a thick plastic sack full of struggling babies.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Outwardly projected vertigo. People who look at you, at perfect eye level, feel like they're looking down over the railing of a ship. Your normal speaking voice sounds like a shout heard from very far away.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Inzombiac posted:

LARPed once where I drew circuit patterns on some duct tape i wrapped my arms in (the cheap poo poo doesn't hurt coming off) along with goggles i also drew circuit patterns on.
This would be tough to do in LARP but make it so your voice seems to come from behind the person you're speaking to.
Mouth is a Flower

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

Hahhahaha good joke v funny

Well if you think vampiric mind rape is good, then ok I accept but don't condone your viewpoint

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Loomer posted:

Alternatively, an isopod-shaped tongue with a goddamn human face that whispers secrets in place of an ordinary voice.

So would this be a tongue that speaks actual secrets? Or just bullshit "It's gonna tell you inane poo poo or get you into trouble since we can't have too much of a mechanical bonus attached to this downside" secrets?

Because i'm imagining the coterie just letting out an exasperated sigh every time Tonguesy Mcgee over there opens his mouth to try and contribute to the conversation only for his freaky human-meets-xenomorph tongue to inadvertently pop out to gently caress with everyone's minds again. :allears:

Alternatively, it could just be the most obnoxiously boring and useless poo poo ever like that energy vampire from the What We Do in the Shadows TV show.

"Tonight, Baron Cruthers decides to feed her cats. Did I say Baron? I meant Baran. No, no, don't mind me. Carry on, neonates."

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 31, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Oberst posted:

Well if you think vampiric mind rape is good, then ok I accept but don't condone your viewpoint

It's unequivocally an evil thing to do... to the character. So long as the player you're using it on is okay with it then it's not 'evil' for you the player. You're playing a role and that role requires you to do not nice things. It becomes dickish when you use mind control to take agency away from the other players because you're the big dick vampire and you can.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Archonex posted:

So would this be a tongue that speaks actual secrets? Or just bullshit "It's gonna tell you inane poo poo or get you into trouble since we can't have too much of a mechanical bonus attached to this downside" secrets?

Because i'm imagining the coterie just letting out an exasperated sigh every time Tonguesy Mcgee over there opens his mouth to try and contribute to the conversation only for his freaky human-meets-xenomorph tongue to inadvertently pop out to gently caress with everyone's minds again. :allears:

Alternatively, it could just be the most obnoxiously boring and useless poo poo ever like that energy vampire from the What We Do in the Shadows TV show.

"Tonight, Baron Cruthers decides to feed her cats. Did I say Baron? I meant Baran. No, no, don't mind me. Carry on, neonates."

Why not both?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oberst posted:

I mean, you're the one pushing vampire rohypnol as preferable to direct vampire mind control, which is a bit rich. Majesty is just as coercive as Dominate, it's just less direct. "Mind-controlling you to be my friend" isn't less mind control than "mind-controlling you to do what I say."

E: Plus both are fictional, and as long as the players at the table are having fun, they're good tools in the game. But just on a pretty basic level, I think making that distinction is hilariously besides the point. "It's ok, this coercion looks like being friendly" is basically what those vampires run on - the idea that they're a better class of predator, maybe even morally fine, because they manipulate people rather than commanding them. All of these vampires are bad.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 31, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My daily check of DTRPG for updates has just alerted me that nearly every White Wolf scanned book in my library has been updated with an OEF file.

This is not a drill.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Loomer posted:

Why not both?

Pretty sure that would be the most entertaining option most likely to have the poor guy or gal strangled by the tongue Homer Simpson style at some point. :v:

It reminds me a bit of that joke elder the thread came up with hundreds of pages back. Elder Hardluck, I think his name was. A (presumably Gangrel) survivor of the ages that somehow keeps finding himself stranded at ground zero in the worst events that history can throw at him --- Pompeii, Three Mile Island, the works. Poor bastard's seen it all, and every time he gets back on his feet and starts the typical vampiric scheming disaster strikes in his general area just loving everything up.

On one hand, you'd hate to be around the guy. On the other hand, would you ever want to to gently caress with someone that could survive all that bullshit and come out relatively unscathed?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 31, 2019

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Inzombiac posted:

One of my favorites was a Nosferatu (the prototype Angle-Daughter actually) whose thing was she was perfectly symmetrical. Not a picto-meter of variance in her features. She wore piles and piles of scarves and long baggy clothing everywhere to try and blunt it along with big silly sunglasses. Human brains naturally look for the little variances, so when someone saw her face it didn't hit all at once. You just sort of swam in this vague sense of wrong for a minute or two before it slammed into place and you felt very, very uncomfortable.

Another had tapetum lucidum in her eyes. Humans were always vaguely aware of the light reflected off them, and could sometimes catch flashes of it the way you'd see a cat or dogs.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Kurieg posted:

It's unequivocally an evil thing to do... to the character. So long as the player you're using it on is okay with it then it's not 'evil' for you the player. You're playing a role and that role requires you to do not nice things. It becomes dickish when you use mind control to take agency away from the other players because you're the big dick vampire and you can.

Aren't vampires supposed to be horrible people? This seems on brand for being a vampire.

I don't see why you can't also be massive dicks to the people you're playing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

If you're okay with loving over a non playable character and not okay with loving over someone who's sitting next to you, you're fundamentally a hypocrite.