Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bedlam posted:

My friend is a leftist former pro Bernie guy that buys into Yangs idea that UBI is a panacea for all our problems. He seems to think Yang is getting shafted by media outlets like Bernie in 2016. Normally he is pretty rational about things and was initially drawn in by Yangs ability to pull both left and right voters and sound reasonable. Now I get daily images of some CNN poll that had yang ranked lower that usually has a rational explanation. Hes for most progressive policies and doesnt seem to think yang will inhibit those. He believes Yang has the best shot at beating trump if given the nomination. He's pretty dug in.

yeah he's a nerd that doesn't understand politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bedlam posted:

So, I've been arguing back and forth with my friend about Yang who REALLY fell into the Yanggang crowd after the Rogan podcast. He seems to think Yangs UBI wont be a poison kill to gut other welfare programs or thinks people wont need them once given $1000. Now hes posting some Scott Stanten video about why it totally wont cause inflation.

This is pretty frustrating because I dont think yang is the worst candidate but especially after his poo poo debate performance and the weird pandering to the alt-right crowd I really dont want to keep hearing about him. Are there any good articles about yang? I think getting through to a Yangganger might be impossible.

The best debunking of Yang's policies can be found right here: https://www.yang2020.com/policies/automatically-sunsetting-old-laws/

If your friend reads that and isn't at least seriously troubled, then you might as well give up. It's not for nothing that I keep calling Yang the Ron Paul of this election - he has some good ideas that no other candidate is talking about, which attracts some people who really ought to know better, but he's also a batshit insane libertarian whose big plans to tear down government as we know it just happen to also disrupt the neoliberal status quo.

His plan to pass a Constitutional amendment making all laws automatically expire after a certain amount of time is definitely the highlight of his policies page. But he's also got plenty of other bad ideas, like laying off 20% of the federal workforce, replacing social workers and psychologists with AIs and algorithms, paying the Ivy League schools to expand their campuses, encouraging people to take a personal finance class by letting them deduct the tuition from their taxes, creating a reward points system for volunteer work where you get to visit the White House if you save up enough points, giving veterans waivers and exemptions from federal drug laws, and more. He also intends to create a federal Department of the Attention Economy, which makes me wonder if our old techno-libertarian buddy Eripsa has finally found his place in politics.

There's also a few extra strings attached to his "Freedom Dividend" that you'll run across if you dig through his policies a bit. For example, high school graduates wouldn't be eligible to receive it until after they graduate from a mandatory regional exchange program, intended to teach them civility and decorum by shipping them off to another part of the country for a six-week civics course. There might be more, though I haven't seen any.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I really appreciate the advice and feedback. I'll try to shift back over or at least prepare him to join team Bernie and try to break the YangGangs iron grip. I'm definitely going to show him that image.

Edit: Main Paineframe that's exactly what I was looking for. I went through the freedom dividend page but haven't read much about his other policies.

Bedlam fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 30, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know a person who is leaning to Yang and won't accept that the UBI is a poison pill. The given reason is that Yang has apparently called it an "opt-in" program. I think he may have said this is in an interview with Ben Shapiro (my first point of order was "anyone with sense doesn't even talk to that tool and here's why" but anyway).

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Main Paineframe posted:

The best debunking of Yang's policies can be found right here: https://www.yang2020.com/policies/automatically-sunsetting-old-laws/

If your friend reads that and isn't at least seriously troubled, then you might as well give up. It's not for nothing that I keep calling Yang the Ron Paul of this election - he has some good ideas that no other candidate is talking about, which attracts some people who really ought to know better, but he's also a batshit insane libertarian whose big plans to tear down government as we know it just happen to also disrupt the neoliberal status quo.

His plan to pass a Constitutional amendment making all laws automatically expire after a certain amount of time is definitely the highlight of his policies page. But he's also got plenty of other bad ideas, like laying off 20% of the federal workforce, replacing social workers and psychologists with AIs and algorithms, paying the Ivy League schools to expand their campuses, encouraging people to take a personal finance class by letting them deduct the tuition from their taxes, creating a reward points system for volunteer work where you get to visit the White House if you save up enough points, giving veterans waivers and exemptions from federal drug laws, and more. He also intends to create a federal Department of the Attention Economy, which makes me wonder if our old techno-libertarian buddy Eripsa has finally found his place in politics.

There's also a few extra strings attached to his "Freedom Dividend" that you'll run across if you dig through his policies a bit. For example, high school graduates wouldn't be eligible to receive it until after they graduate from a mandatory regional exchange program, intended to teach them civility and decorum by shipping them off to another part of the country for a six-week civics course. There might be more, though I haven't seen any.

Yang is putting up a surprising amount of policy proposals out for a campaign ostensibly mainly based around promoting UBI. Does he think he can eventually win delegates and maybe entire states?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1167425406175260675

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
The funny thing is that wherever the UBI has actually been tried (hand-in-hand with at least maintaining current levels of social services), its had significant social benefits on the poorest parts of society. Its actually a good, if temporary, policy supported by the likes of Thomas Paine. Unfortunately it got co-opted by libertarians and capitalists long ago, and Yang is just the latest standard-bearer of that attempt.

If anyone is interested in how well the UBI did in Finland (where social services were not reduced with the introduction of the UBI experiment), the preliminary findings are here: http://julkaisut.valtioneuvosto.fi/handle/10024/161361 (pdf in english)

The only "negative" effect is that since UBI was considered income, those who had found jobs (and also had UBI) made smaller welfare claims since they qualified for smaller amounts. Also, they inexplicably liked cops more.

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 30, 2019

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Former Republican has some sound advice for the Dems!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

just looked up the author of that ostensibly non-opinion "reporting" piece (hailey fuchs) and she went to a private school where tuition is $44,300/year, and then to yale

2 past headlines:
- Sen. Bernie Sanders pushes free college and student debt forgiveness — and finds the field crowded
- Bernie Sanders offers a massive climate plan. Environmentalists cheer, but will it be too much for voters?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Absolutely pissening

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Fact checkers need to figure out that when a politician brings light to a problem, you're not holding them to account when you call out their intentional use of low estimates

Professor Skittles
Jul 10, 2008
Biden is starting to scare me. Hes giving me Mccain flashbacks.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Professor Skittles posted:

Did you enlist or were you drafted?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Remember when the big joke was that Gravel was the one being elder abused and being forced to run when he was in no mental condition to do so?

And now it's actually true with Biden.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Just imagine how extraordinarily petty bourg you'd have to be to literally argue that people aren't angry in literal Hellworld.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Professor Skittles posted:

I also get mental images of a flaming plane crashing to Earth when thinking about the Biden campaign.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

otoh it extremely owns when Bernie says a number the fack checters, all go "OH NOT THAT'S WRONG ITS ACTUALLY MUCH HIGHER"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Bedlam posted:

Yang is getting shafted by media outlets like Bernie in 2016. Normally he is pretty rational about things and was initially drawn in by Yangs ability to pull both left and right voters and sound reasonable. Now I get daily images of some CNN poll that had yang ranked lower that usually has a rational explanation. Hes for most progressive policies and doesnt seem to think yang will inhibit those. He believes Yang has the best shot at beating trump if given the nomination. He's pretty dug in.

I gotta agree here

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Bedlam posted:

So, I've been arguing back and forth with my friend about Yang who REALLY fell into the Yanggang crowd after the Rogan podcast. He seems to think Yangs UBI wont be a poison kill to gut other welfare programs or thinks people wont need them once given $1000. Now hes posting some Scott Stanten video about why it totally wont cause inflation.
Yang literally said in his own words that it was a poison pill to kill social programs on Dave Rubin's show (not that anyone should watch it and become exposed to brain cancer). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is2VWliq7Jg&t=512s

edit: go back to 6:21 where he talks about getting rid of block grants (for medicaid and I think SSDI) in favor of UBI

double edit: As far as how to deal with your friend, others here have given some good possible solutions to that problem. I would agree with him that he's getting shafted by the media and maybe you can agree there and get on the same side. I would try and propose the Bernie's solution of a federal jobs guarantee instead of UBI, as that would essentially force the private sector to compete with the public sector (in an ideal world capitalism is supposed to have competition built into it) in terms of pay, hours (full time and actual OT benefits), working conditions, benefits, ability to unionize which tilts the power dynamic towards the workers, etc.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 30, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I dont think I've seen anyone mention the shitshow going on with the Iowa caucus, the DNC just rejected the virtual caucus component after it was found to be too easy to hack and manipulate.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-24/dnc-virtual-caucus-at-risk-after-experts-hacked-conference-call

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/30/755819116/dnc-recommends-scrapping-plans-for-virtual-iowa-caucuses-over-security-concerns

Can someone remind me why Iowa doesn't just switch to a primary?

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 30, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Because they wouldn't be first, New Hampshire would be, and then politicians wouldn't have to pander to them specifically as much anymore.

Corn subsidies might go down! :ohdear:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Glumslinger posted:

I dont think I've seen anyone mention the shitshow going on with the Iowa caucus, the DNC just rejected the virtual caucus component after it was found to be too easy to hack and manipulate.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-24/dnc-virtual-caucus-at-risk-after-experts-hacked-conference-call

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/30/755819116/dnc-recommends-scrapping-plans-for-virtual-iowa-caucuses-over-security-concerns

Decorum and tradition and loving bullshit feelings about “gathering together as a community” and “performing an important civic duty for the nation”.

Iowa can get hosed. They act like it’s so loving important and then only a third of them even show up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
re: iowa e-voting getting shot down

the dnc accidentally did a good thing since it was going to cap at 10% of the total possible votes because the democratic party is extremely good at finding new and exciting ways to be fundamentally undemocratic

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

He's looking for the wrong kind of anger and he's the last person (a screaming old white guy) to find the people who are angry. GAMERS.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Bedlam posted:

My friend is a leftist former pro Bernie guy that buys into Yangs idea that UBI is a panacea for all our problems. He seems to think Yang is getting shafted by media outlets like Bernie in 2016. Normally he is pretty rational about things and was initially drawn in by Yangs ability to pull both left and right voters and sound reasonable. Now I get daily images of some CNN poll that had yang ranked lower that usually has a rational explanation. Hes for most progressive policies and doesnt seem to think yang will inhibit those. He believes Yang has the best shot at beating trump if given the nomination. He's pretty dug in.

You could point out that many if not the vast majority of proposals any candidate makes requires Congressional bills and him getting the Presidency doesn't mean a UBI is coming without climatic shifts which he likly isn't capable of (re: "getting shafted by media outlets").

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

The Glumslinger posted:

This is good. The caucus is bad and they should switch to a primary, but this e-caucus they had was absolute trash.

10% of delegates would be rewarded based on the e-caucus and the remainder based upon the actual caucus. It did not account for any differential in the numbers of people voting in the e-caucus vs the regular caucus, so you could have more absolute numbers voting on their phone getting just 10% of the delegates.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

In all seriousness AOC can't turn 35 fast enough so this bullshit can be neutered and these people can go join the Republican party where they are going to end up when they can't disingenuously bait about gender and race anymore.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

In all seriousness AOC can't turn 35 fast enough so this bullshit can be neutered and these people can go join the Republican party where they are going to end up when they can't disingenuously bait about gender and race anymore.

Do you think that these people are somehow above declaring AOC a fake WoC if it suits them or something?

But I get what you mean. I've said it before, but one of the best results of Bernie getting the nomination is that many of the most toxic elements in the Democratic Party would self-purge themselves out of it.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I don't know about Sean Sullivan but Rubin is and has been a Republican. As long as these types fill lovely institutions like WaPo and everything else they'll always do this poo poo in some form or another. Half the "dem" types just want a Democrat with Republican characteristics.

They are growing more transparently biased and incompetent and irrelevant by the day though. So take some heart. There'll always be these shits, they just dont always have to be running the show.

poo poo

hobotrashcanfires fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 30, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Do you think that these people are somehow above declaring AOC a fake WoC if it suits them or something?

Yeah, one needs look no further than Nina Turner to see how anyone who doesn't toe the party line isn't treated (regardless of race/gender). AOC has managed, thus far, to avoid publicly positioning herself as directly hostile to the Democratic Party in the eyes of the public, but if she ever explicitly aligned herself with Sanders you'd quickly see many attitudes change.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yeah, its almost undeniably a lovely poll, but its still a good laugh

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1167551933181247490

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Glumslinger posted:

Haha, what?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Glumslinger posted:

Booker's super positivity is 100% on brand for the Mormon image.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

Haha, what?

My guess is that they somehow excluded responses where the respondee didn't know one of the candidates, because there's no way the Booker - Trump scenario has more decided voters (74%) than the Trump - Biden match up (71%).

So I think they discounted lots of Republican voters who just didn't know Booker.

It's really stupid, but it's the only way it makes sense.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gyges posted:

yea Booker has big cult energy, I can see why the LDS crowd would go 'oh gee he seems earnest and trustworthy'

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mormonism is super racist so that's wild.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

It's a little bit of that, but I also think Chapo nailed it: Booker is the Michael Scott candidate, desperate to be loved, wishing only to be perceived as The Good Guy.

e: And dumb enough to think that he can win literally everybody over, of course. Which means that he wins almost no one over.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 31, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Majorian posted:

It's a little bit of that, but I also think Chapo nailed it: Booker is the Michael Scott candidate, desperate to be loved, wishing only to be perceived as The Good Guy.

e: And dumb enough to think that he can win literally everybody over, of course. Which means that he wins almost no one over.

its odd because he had a really good bit about how biden was being super loving racist and then ran screaming away from any popular support that resulted from pointing out that the mainstream in general is super loving racist!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

steinrokkan posted:

My guess is that they somehow excluded responses where the respondee didn't know one of the candidates, because there's no way the Booker - Trump scenario has more decided voters (74%) than the Trump - Biden match up (71%).

So I think they discounted lots of Republican voters who just didn't know Booker.

It's really stupid, but it's the only way it makes sense.

Not being familiar with Booker makes him more Generic Democrat than well known Joe. It makes sense that you could get a 3% bump in response off of that. It is interesting that the most people make up their mind when it's Bernie or Liz vs Donny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Mel_Ankoly/status/1167236022767251456

:allears: