Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Michael Corleone posted:

Do you get 5% back on your Amazon Prime subscription when you use the Visa Amazon card? I don't buy that much off Amazon these days but need to keep Prime for the video aspect. I pay month to month because I am not that smart. I would like to cut down the number of cards I am paying each month.

I checked my statement, and while it doesn't specifically say how many points you get for each purchase, but I do see that for that statement I only have Amazon/Whole Foods purchases:

It looks like I got 5% on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
An amazon prime subscription is an amazon purchase so it gets 5%

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005
Any way to make decent rewards money on day care? Our place charges 2% credit card fee so our Citi Double Cash is a wash and I don't really see any other cards doing much better than 2%?

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Blistering Sunburn posted:

Any way to make decent rewards money on day care? Our place charges 2% credit card fee so our Citi Double Cash is a wash and I don't really see any other cards doing much better than 2%?

Honestly going for sign up bonuses is what I'd do. So just whatever the best ones you can get. And just keep doing that.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hope that you can itemize it on your tax return next year, that's about it. You're lucky, I've seen higher fees and the last place we used refused any cards including debit.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Using an FSA for dependant care is going to save you the most money since it'll be pre-tax earnings.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I didn't realize that dependent care qualified for FSA! Yeah that's smart, do that if it works for you.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

angryrobots posted:

I didn't realize that dependent care qualified for FSA! Yeah that's smart, do that if it works for you.

Then the ideal way is to use a card if they don't charge a fee and transfer the money to yourself, hopefully that's the situation here. I didn't think about that earlier.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

StormDrain posted:

Using an FSA for dependant care is going to save you the most money since it'll be pre-tax earnings.

Maybe. You have to run the numbers for your situation. Tax bracket, costs, etc. the dependent care tax credit could be worth more and be less hassle.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Interesting, I was not aware of that, as I have no dependents. Taxes in the US are a problem.

markus876
Aug 19, 2002

I am a comedy trap.

If you have $100k in cash/investments you can combine the BofA Premium Rewards credit card with Platinum Honors status and get an effective 2.62% back. Note that you would also get the 2.62% back on the 2% fee the day care charges you, not that it would amount to be that much.

For less hassle, you get 3% back for the first year with the Alliant CU Signature Visa card (and then 2.5% after the 1st year so still more than the Citi Double Cash)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Interesting, I was not aware of that, as I have no dependents. Taxes in the US are a problem.

He's just pointing out that the tax credit is a return of up to 35%. Whether doing that or using an FSA is best depends on how the FSA is funded and how badly you need to get your gross income down, which is very situational.

I *think* that for most tax payers, the tax credit would be the better option. Also worth noting is that this requires a dependent care FSA, which is separate from a health care FSA. I have the latter, and it the former is an available option with my employer I've never heard it mentioned. (Edit- not an expert, I just googled it cause I was curious now and wanted to pass that along)

markus876 posted:

For less hassle, you get 3% back for the first year with the Alliant CU Signature Visa card (and then 2.5% after the 1st year so still more than the Citi Double Cash)

$100 AF kills this one unless you spend stupid amounts at places that don't have better rewards on any other card.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 22, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey guys, I don't make it around to BFC too much but I have a pretty niche question about credit cards.

I'm thinking about getting a premium credit card. Some of these cards, like the Sapphire Preferred, have a pretty great signing bonus but you have to spend $4,000+ in three months.

My credit is impeccable so no concerns about getting accepted, and there's a decent chance I would hit most of that number through regular use, but I was curious what the best way would be to somehow pay a month of rent with my credit card.

I live in a high rent area so one rent payment would cover a lot of that balance requirement. I see that there are services that basically cut you a check but take a percentage cut, is that the best way to go, and if not, what is?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Plastiq is the one I usually see kicking around on r/churning. Here are a few other options.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/paying-rent-credit-card/

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Taima posted:

Hey guys, I don't make it around to BFC too much but I have a pretty niche question about credit cards.

I'm thinking about getting a premium credit card. Some of these cards, like the Sapphire Preferred, have a pretty great signing bonus but you have to spend $4,000+ in three months.

My credit is impeccable so no concerns about getting accepted, and there's a decent chance I would hit most of that number through regular use, but I was curious what the best way would be to somehow pay a month of rent with my credit card.

I live in a high rent area so one rent payment would cover a lot of that balance requirement. I see that there are services that basically cut you a check but take a percentage cut, is that the best way to go, and if not, what is?

My property management company accepts credit car payments for rent, but they charge $37 for it. I'm not familiar with the type of service you've described. Either way you'll want to do some math to see if it makes sense for you.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Plastiq is what you want to use if your apartment or landlord or whatever will take it. They do charge a fee for it but if you can hit the MSR on a bunch of cards it might be worth it to you.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thank you guys :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sounds like Citibank is now offering contactless versions of cards other than the Costco card. Just request a replacement for a 'damaged' card online - they'll even express it for free - and it'll be contactless by default.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the advantage of a contactless card? Especially if you have more than one, if you boop the machine does your wallet just pay with one card at random or what.

Also wandering around with a passive transmitter seems very :tinfoil: at least with my phone I can turn it on and off

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hadlock posted:

What is the advantage of a contactless card? Especially if you have more than one, if you boop the machine does your wallet just pay with one card at random or what.

Also wandering around with a passive transmitter seems very :tinfoil: at least with my phone I can turn it on and off

Bit faster than paying with EMV chip.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I wouldn't recommend tapping with your wallet itself; depending on the reader you have to get the card quite close to it for it to be successful anyway.

quote:

I mean if you're that concerned, RFID-blocking wallets or card sleeves are a thing, but not really necessary in practice. Consumer fears were a big part of why the previous generation MSD (Magnetic Stripe Data) contactless didn't really take off 15 years ago or so, but EMV contactless takes security a few steps further with e.g. one-time cryptograms.

You've largely experienced the benefits if you've used your phone to make NFC payments, but contactless cards make transactions much faster, closer to the speed of swiping than the often much slower chip read. Signatures/PINs are also normally waived (less of a big deal now that the signature verification has largely been phased out), which saves even more time. That's extra-useful when traveling, when the cashier might not always have a pen available for a signature.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Definitely nice for travel. Especially in Europe.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
About to unload the dumbest questions y'all have heard but need some advice. For some context, I'm a sneaker reseller on the side so I want to have as much "capital" as I possibly can. I also become legal in one month so:
1. Is the Apple card a good first credit card? Looking at the cashback, it kind of sucks. The only real good thing is that it has no fees. But on paper it seems trash.
2. What's generally the first Amex card a person should have? Seen a lot of my friends have golds but some even have platinums. They say they can spend however much you want, but you need to control yourself. So I am lost there.
3. How much does your credit score increase if your parents have held a card in your name for a while?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Spam Musubi posted:

1. Is the Apple card a good first credit card? Looking at the cashback, it kind of sucks. The only real good thing is that it has no fees. But on paper it seems trash.
2. What's generally the first Amex card a person should have? Seen a lot of my friends have golds but some even have platinums. They say they can spend however much you want, but you need to control yourself. So I am lost there.
No, and the Platinum card is generally one you get for benefits rather than to actually spend a bunch of money on.

How much and in what categories are you spending on, and what would you like out of a credit card? Cashback? Airline miles? .etc

There's no size fits all answer, but we can probably recommend something based on that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Spam Musubi posted:

About to unload the dumbest questions y'all have heard but need some advice. For some context, I'm a sneaker reseller on the side so I want to have as much "capital" as I possibly can. I also become legal in one month so:
3. How much does your credit score increase if your parents have held a card in your name for a while?

1) Your main options for 'first credit card with barely/no credit' are secured cards, where you have to put in a deposit and that's your credit limit. People have mentioned that Apple is approving people for their first credit card with a $250 or higher limit, so it's not a bad option since you don't need to secure it. 2% cash back while using apple pay isn't bad at all for your first CC.

2) Are you going to chase signup bonuses or looking for ongoing spend cards? If the latter, a lot of people snag a Blue Cash Everyday for the 3% back on groceries.

3) It can help somewhat. I wouldn't attempt to quantify it; if you're curious about your actual score Experian runs https://freecreditscore.com which lets you get your credit report + FICO score free. Your score is mostly meaningless at this point though given the relative lack of credit history in your name.

Another option you can look into is Chase; they usually like to see a year of credit history but it's possible that your AU will have swung things favorably enough that you could get approved.

One nice thing about the Apple card that might be useful for you is you can see what your credit limit would be before they do the hard pull (they only pull when you accept).

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
My previous reply to essentially the same question.

Girbot posted:

What category do you spend the most in?

No Annual Fees:

Ducks Unlimited - Gas/Sporting Goods (5%)
Amazon Rewards Visa - Amazon.com/Whole Foods (5% - with Prime / 3% without Prime) / Gas Stations/Restaurants/Drug Stores (2%)
US Bank Cash+ - 2 Categories (5%) / 1 Additional Category (2%)
Discover IT Cash Back - Rotating Categories (5% - Matched first year, effectively 10%)
Chase Freedom - Rotating Categories (5%)
Uber Visa - Dining (4%) / Hotel/AirBnB/Airfare (3%) / Online (2%)
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday - Groceries (3%) / Gas Stations/Department Stores (2%)
Bank of America Cash Rewards - 1 Category (3%) / Groceries/Wholesale Clubs (2%)
Citi Double Cash - Everyday spending (2%)

These all earn at least 1% on all purchases.

Keep in mind that grocery stores and Amazon sell gift cards for other merchants, as well. If you shop at Safeway/Albertsons, even without Amazon Prime, the 3% would be equal to what you'd get with the Blue Cash using gift cards bought on Amazon. It's also a Visa as opposed to AMEX so might be accepted in more places.

I don't use it anymore aside from the rare purchase to keep it from being closed, but Capital One's Quicksilver earns 1.5% everywhere and has great approval odds for a first card.

If you're looking for a Travel Card, I'll defer to others.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

Girbot fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 29, 2019

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Question, what's the best way to min/max reward points on a new unlocked iPhone purchase? I'm going to get one as an anniversary present for Mrs McJerkface, and I want to max up the rewards. I get 6% on groceries, so maybe I can go buy Apple store GCs at the grocery store and buy the phone with them? It's only like $50, but maybe it's worth figuring out a way.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Question, what's the best way to min/max reward points on a new unlocked iPhone purchase? I'm going to get one as an anniversary present for Mrs McJerkface, and I want to max up the rewards. I get 6% on groceries, so maybe I can go buy Apple store GCs at the grocery store and buy the phone with them? It's only like $50, but maybe it's worth figuring out a way.

Certain cards provide free phone insurance, but you don’t have to put the initial purchase on them, just use them to pay the phone bill. Google “credit card phone insurance” to see which ones are best, or if you can use one you already have.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It depends on your credit cards. Chase might have a 5% cash back bonus on Apple if you buy from their shopping portal, which would effectively be 7.5% cash back if used on the Sapphire travel portal. Otherwise your plan to get GC’s at 6% is pretty good.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

Certain cards provide free phone insurance, but you don’t have to put the initial purchase on them, just use them to pay the phone bill. Google “credit card phone insurance” to see which ones are best, or if you can use one you already have.

Uber card does this up to $650 I think.

FWIW Amazon sells Apple Gift cards at face value so if you have the Amazon card you can get 5% back on those.

Also I'm real mad I didn't think of this, I just bought an iPhone and an iPad a month ago.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Uber card does this up to $650 I think.

FWIW Amazon sells Apple Gift cards at face value so if you have the Amazon card you can get 5% back on those.

Also I'm real mad I didn't think of this, I just bought an iPhone and an iPad a month ago.

I have the Uber card and already pay the att bill with it. I don't see apple gc on Amazon, just iTunes/app store gc which aren't the same.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I guess Chase is stricter than I realized for CSR. Income isn't a problem (75K, 20K of which is tax free) but the reasons they listed for denial were,

- Lack of credit limit. My Amazon Chase card has a $6,500 limit and Alaska BOA is $5,000. Minimum for CSR is 10K. Should I request increases?

- High revolving credit. I never 'roll over' to the next month and pay the balances in full each month. Typically $1-2K of expenses each month.

- Credit size grew too quick too fast. I'm guessing this in regards to the Amazon Chase card which I've had for 2 months. I only use it for Amazon purchases and warranty extension, otherwise Alaska is my go-to card, so not much activity. I did put 2 airline tickets on it for $1,700 so that is probably what did it before applying.

So looks like I should ask for increases, continue to pay everything off in full (especially before applying again) and wait 6 months - 1 year? Maybe switching over my checking to Chase as well since I don't have a history with them? I'm surprised I was denied to be honest.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Basically Chase is saying they don't trust you enough to extend $16500 in credit to you. You might be able to get by asking if they would give you the card if you transferred some of the Amazon Visa to the new CSR account.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have the Uber card and already pay the att bill with it. I don't see apple gc on Amazon, just iTunes/app store gc which aren't the same.

Yeah, my bad, didn't realize it was iTunes credit.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EconOutlines posted:

I guess Chase is stricter than I realized for CSR. Income isn't a problem (75K, 20K of which is tax free) but the reasons they listed for denial were,

- Lack of credit limit. My Amazon Chase card has a $6,500 limit and Alaska BOA is $5,000. Minimum for CSR is 10K. Should I request increases?

- High revolving credit. I never 'roll over' to the next month and pay the balances in full each month. Typically $1-2K of expenses each month.

- Credit size grew too quick too fast. I'm guessing this in regards to the Amazon Chase card which I've had for 2 months. I only use it for Amazon purchases and warranty extension, otherwise Alaska is my go-to card, so not much activity. I did put 2 airline tickets on it for $1,700 so that is probably what did it before applying.

So looks like I should ask for increases, continue to pay everything off in full (especially before applying again) and wait 6 months - 1 year? Maybe switching over my checking to Chase as well since I don't have a history with them? I'm surprised I was denied to be honest.

Don't ask for increases unless you're sure it's a soft pull. It's a hard pull with Chase and BoA, so don't request it there.

You have 30 days from your initial application to contact Chase's reconsideration about your application. The advice to ask if you can just transfer some of the credit limit from your Amazon card is solid.

I do recommend paying off any high balances; if your Alaska reported over 1.7k/5k and that hit your credit report, they saw utilization that was at least 33% on one of your only two credit cards, which could be a bit high/scary. If you pay it off every month, you should mention that to reconsideration. If you've already paid that specific month's bill off, you would want to mention that to reconsideration as well.

Another factor is you just got a credit card two months ago with Chase - Chase has grown pretty sensitive to velocity, so if your initial reconsideration call doesn't result in an approval, waiting out a week or two of the reconsideration period to try recon again wouldn't be a terrible idea at all.

Edit: Clarification

astral fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 29, 2019

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Thanks for the advice!

I just scheduled payments for my balances, so once those clear, I'll call for reconsideration and give it a shot.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EconOutlines posted:

Thanks for the advice!

I just scheduled payments for my balances, so once those clear, I'll call for reconsideration and give it a shot.

Do note that while they may be able to see you paid off any balance on your Chase card, BoA may not report the zero balance right away to the credit bureaus (and the bureaus can take several days to reflect it on your report even after receiving the information), so you can't rely on the BoA payoff being visible to the agent.

Still, with your stated income I can't imagine they would have a problem believing it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

astral posted:

Sounds like Citibank is now offering contactless versions of cards other than the Costco card. Just request a replacement for a 'damaged' card online - they'll even express it for free - and it'll be contactless by default.

I just got replacement DoubleCash cards in the mail because the card is expiring at the end of September, and I'm sad to see they aren't contactless.

e: Sometimes I end up using Capitol One Quicksilver and get less in rewards just because it has contactless

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 30, 2019

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Called Citi and they are sending replacement cards that will be contactless FedEx express. Noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Called Citi and they are sending replacement cards that will be contactless FedEx express. Noice.

:hfive: but also

:siren: I forgot to mention that Citibank is one of the issuers where you (at least with mastercards) absolutely positively have to use the card once in a chip transaction before the contactless interface will be enabled. Likely done so people can't tap your envelopes to pay for something.