Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I pulled today so I must shitpost.

Last week I watched another strong goon deadlift a lot of weight double overhand with straps and thought, you know what I'm going to try that. So I went in tonight, ignored the chalk, strapped in and just busted out some mid-400s triples and they felt like nothing. I was a blasphemer and it was wonderful. I don't know why it simply never occurred to me to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Strap deadlifts do feel pretty good to do

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fhqwhgads posted:

I pulled today so I must shitpost.

Last week I watched another strong goon deadlift a lot of weight double overhand with straps and thought, you know what I'm going to try that. So I went in tonight, ignored the chalk, strapped in and just busted out some mid-400s triples and they felt like nothing. I was a blasphemer and it was wonderful. I don't know why it simply never occurred to me to do that.

Not lifting raw omg the crossfit dorks will never accept you now

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

strap deadlifts are cool and good and are my friend

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

soy posted:

gently caress it, bought a trap bar.

Jealous

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

My only complaint about straps is the same complaint I have about belts, I don’t want to have to rely on an accessory to lift heavy

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1WpLjOnd5v/

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

bomb posted:

My only complaint about straps is the same complaint I have about belts, I don’t want to have to rely on an accessory to lift heavy

It's not really anything to worry about with belts imo. I pretty much always use my belt, but my beltless deadlift has still gone up.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'm worse on everything with a belt vs without so I just never use my belt anymore. Still looking for a way to get the trap bar integrated into my workouts. Maybe for high rep DL or direct volume trap work instead of the straight bar?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

bomb posted:

Sounds like you have nothing to worry about!

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Dum Cumpster posted:

:pusheen:

There was a guy in TFLC who was worried chalking up for deadlifts was cheating

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

:jerry:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

turd in my singlet posted:

:pusheen:

There was a guy in TFLC who was worried chalking up for deadlifts was cheating

He's right.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

RIP Franco

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Deadlifts should be done nude. A sock on the dong is acceptable if contact is an issue.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I feel like I got some sass from the girl using the squat rack as an iphone rack so she could face time sometime and to hold her gym bag after i asked if i could use it. She was polite and said yea but then put her stuff on the floor right next to it so i had to step over it to put weights on the bar for like 2 sets till she finally left.

i felt like a dick too

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Anyone ever get a dull general aching along the side of the leg, almost the entirety of the IT-Band, hip-to-knee on the days following squats? It's been painful enough that I've had to limit my squats to once a week on some weeks. Been lifting for 4.5 months.

Used to have this come up after long backpacking trips. Doctors did an MRI/x ray, gave me a shruggie, and sent me to PT to do crab walks which never felt all that helpful.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

Anyone ever get a dull general aching along the side of the leg, almost the entirety of the IT-Band, hip-to-knee on the days following squats? It's been painful enough that I've had to limit my squats to once a week on some weeks. Been lifting for 4.5 months.

Used to have this come up after long backpacking trips. Doctors did an MRI/x ray, gave me a shruggie, and sent me to PT to do crab walks which never felt all that helpful.

SI?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
fart club checking in

Not checking my drawers until I'm done, still don't regret eating an entire DiGornios supreme in one sitting last night

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

ElectricSheep posted:

fart club checking in

Not checking my drawers until I'm done, still don't regret eating an entire DiGornios supreme in one sitting last night

godspeed, brave goon

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

i let rip at the bottom of my squat yesterday and the two people next to met were the only two fuckers in that gym without headphones in

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ElectricSheep posted:

fart club checking in

*checks shorts*

It's not delivery! :dance:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Data Graham posted:

*checks shorts*

It's not delivery! :dance:

lol

update on squart (squat fart): gas only, hit a heavy double at 320, felt good and got good accessory work in after

I think there's a syllogism to be drawn between pizza and gains. gonna go back to school and write my dissertation, it'll be groundbreaking

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raffles posted:

i let rip at the bottom of my squat yesterday and the two people next to met were the only two fuckers in that gym without headphones in

Good. They are your bottoms now. Congratz

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

bomb posted:

I don't lift super heavy but haven't had to use straps - my biggest fear with them is the strap getting caught on whatever bar or dumbbell handle I'm using & yanking the gently caress out of my wrist/arm. I've seen that happen to a couple guys at my gym already when they were doing deadlifts or stuff like dumbbell shrugs, it's scary. I just chalk up & make sure to do exercises for grip strength so I don't have to worry too much during heavy sets.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
As I understand it, using belts or straps is about wanting to prioritize certain development over others. Lift as much as possible. Would you guyes describe this as accurate?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

What's a bigger muscle, your forearm or your glute? I'm not going to let my glute development stall because my tiny forearm muscles can't hold 500lbs. I'll work on grip separately.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I don't lift super heavy but haven't had to use straps - my biggest fear with them is the strap getting caught on whatever bar or dumbbell handle I'm using & yanking the gently caress out of my wrist/arm. I've seen that happen to a couple guys at my gym already when they were doing deadlifts or stuff like dumbbell shrugs, it's scary. I just chalk up & make sure to do exercises for grip strength so I don't have to worry too much during heavy sets.

How are they using their straps? I've had my grip fail with straps and the bar just rolls out of my hands like I wasn't strapped in at all. Olympic lifting aside I'm genuinely confused as to how they're getting "stuck" to the bar.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 31, 2019

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yeah, I've never had that happen. I just let go of the bar when I'm done. Maybe they are wrapping their straps around like 3 or 4 times? I wrap mine once or twice and that's it.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

Olympic lifting aside
It's been nearly a decade since I first saw this and it still haunts me.

I've no idea how anyone could hurt themselves deadlifting with straps though.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCERyd8n428

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
didn’t that dude beat up his gf

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

barkbell posted:

No way for any of us to know. In the audio she posted as proof Larry was the one calling the cops and neither got charged so believe what you want I guess :shrug:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Fhqwhgads posted:

What's a bigger muscle, your forearm or your glute? I'm not going to let my glute development stall because my tiny forearm muscles can't hold 500lbs. I'll work on grip separately.

How are they using their straps? I've had my grip fail with straps and the bar just rolls out of my hands like I wasn't strapped in at all. Olympic lifting aside I'm genuinely confused as to how they're getting "stuck" to the bar.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

yeah, I've never had that happen. I just let go of the bar when I'm done. Maybe they are wrapping their straps around like 3 or 4 times? I wrap mine once or twice and that's it.

Betting they were wrapping it more than twice before lifting but I couldn't tell for sure, that's all I can think of. It looked like the strap was getting caught on the grip marks on the bar/dumbbell & not unwinding, so when they'd go to drop it, it would "stick" & pull on their arms & wrists.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
If you use straps I can't think of any reason you wouldn't just follow the bar down if you need to abort the lift. Of course you're going to hurt yourself if you stop exerting any effort and just let the bar drag you down by the arms.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Betting they were wrapping it more than twice before lifting but I couldn't tell for sure, that's all I can think of. It looked like the strap was getting caught on the grip marks on the bar/dumbbell & not unwinding, so when they'd go to drop it, it would "stick" & pull on their arms & wrists.

Or they could be using figure 8-style straps?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Struensee posted:

If you use straps I can't think of any reason you wouldn't just follow the bar down if you need to abort the lift. Of course you're going to hurt yourself if you stop exerting any effort and just let the bar drag you down by the arms.

I forget sometimes.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

barkbell posted:

No

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Finally benched 304 with a slingshot

My lockout strength sucks so I was happy even if it was with a slingshot. Also, unless I got a 17% increase out of a slingshot, which I don't think I did, my raw max has likely gone up a decent bit. I also literally did heavy chain bench yesterday too, on top of some OHP before hitting the slingshot today, so really everything seems to be going well considering the factors. The BULK TO 242 road has been fruitful with gains so far. Woke up at 195 today, looking forward to what being 200+ brings.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Refresh my memory, wasn't he screaming and straight up threatening to kill her on the recording? Even if he didn't physically strike her, still seems like a POS to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

looking forward to what being 200+ brings.

Apnea, joint pain, and constant pants tearing.