Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've come back to the snowy explorer island twice now and the flute hasn't echoed, but I have yet to find the pink dye, or the items that look man-made, like the chair. A quick Google told me there's a possibility that those items may not always be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
yeah I've heard people had issues with those specifically. they spawn Up High so if you happen to have a chimaera friend they're very useful for that.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The source islands definitely can spawn without some resource anywhere. I'd tell you to keep going and leaving until the flute goes off. I've had to double back to all of them so far. I'm assuming like some type of zones in the island can't spawn with others and the randomness can leave something out.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, I don't know if this was related but after 3 tries without the spa spawning, I rebooted the game and got the stuff the next time I went.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Yinlock posted:

it should always echo unless you're checked everything off the list

or you haven't closed the software for a long time in the switch version which makes Weird poo poo start happening

On later islands, it CAN indeed not spawn every single thing you need for credit. I've had that happen once or twice.

The flute will give a unique no-echoes message if this is the case, though, which isn't its usual "no echoes can be heard" message.

Unrelated: I recruited my first starwyvern on my new playthrough and I found out you can use wyverns to fly by holding onto their tails :3: it's amazing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Holy lol. I just had 8 Metal Slimes appear and wipe out my party in two turns in Dragon Quest 2.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm about 2/3 of the way through V now (I took a break between IV and this, playing the first Breath of Fire, to keep from burning out). I ended up going with the PS2 version, which actually looks pretty nice with the graphics all gussied up.

I will say, though, I so far think I prefer the official English translation over this fantranslation. I like all the jokes, and puns, and accents, and everything. It's not bad, however. The biggest issue is I've played the DS version so much that I'm having trouble remembering the names used for things in this.

I still vastly like Deborah more than the two original marriage choices. Nera is just...meh. And Bianca needs to mooooove on. I wouldn't want to know Deborah in real life, but she's way more entertaining than those two.

The PS2 version has been good so far, and I do really like how it looks. But I think after this run through, when I return to the game (and I absolutely will, it's my fave), it'll be the DS version from here out. Mostly for portability, and my preferred translation.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

On later islands, it CAN indeed not spawn every single thing you need for credit. I've had that happen once or twice.

The flute will give a unique no-echoes message if this is the case, though, which isn't its usual "no echoes can be heard" message.

Unrelated: I recruited my first starwyvern on my new playthrough and I found out you can use wyverns to fly by holding onto their tails :3: it's amazing.

I've never had it happen to me personally, though I HAVE combed through islands for hours while forgetting the flute existed which is arguably worse

also yeah the top-tier traveling monsters are Wyverns(flying) and Great Sabrecubs(infinite sprint-speed movement & a double-jump which clears like 6-7 blocks of height)

still not quite on the level of B1 switch's sabrecub that could move at mach 2 and break 90% of the game's blocks with it's claws, but it was still my most-frequent party member besides Malroth

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I still vastly like Deborah more than the two original marriage choices. Nera is just...meh. And Bianca needs to mooooove on. I wouldn't want to know Deborah in real life, but she's way more entertaining than those two.

Bianca rules, actually, she has a sharp coat and the DS remake gave her a kafrizzle which inexplicably hits like a loving truck. She has a ton more personality in the DS version too

also you raised a deadly tiger together, that's true love right there

e: Golems are also fun when you've freed up some bag space and just want to say gently caress you to a mountain

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 29, 2019

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm about 2/3 of the way through V now (I took a break between IV and this, playing the first Breath of Fire, to keep from burning out). I ended up going with the PS2 version, which actually looks pretty nice with the graphics all gussied up.

I will say, though, I so far think I prefer the official English translation over this fantranslation. I like all the jokes, and puns, and accents, and everything. It's not bad, however. The biggest issue is I've played the DS version so much that I'm having trouble remembering the names used for things in this.

The PS2 version has been good so far, and I do really like how it looks. But I think after this run through, when I return to the game (and I absolutely will, it's my fave), it'll be the DS version from here out. Mostly for portability, and my preferred translation.

Deb is best wife.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Argue posted:

but I have yet to find the pink dye,
I was playing with a friend and found this in a hot spring on top of a hill in the snowy/icy island

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Alma Mater and Divine Intervention. They prevent you getting one-shot while your hp is above a certain threshold, but the game says they block instant death moves instead

This post is old but I'm quoting it so I can find it easily if I need it again

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I cannot stop thinking about the fact that Malroth is InuYasha.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I cannot stop thinking about the fact that Malroth is InuYasha.

he's not even remotely though

RareAcumen posted:

This post is old but I'm quoting it so I can find it easily if I need it again

the true challenge is remembering those moves exist at all

they're completely worthless until they're the most important moves in the game

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 30, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Dragon Quest 6 seems extremely "I dunno man, you figure out where to go" which I've never liked but the smaller stories have been cool and Carver and now Milly have a million things to say so that's been keeping me engaged. Hope it gets a touch more enthralling though.

The Dying Dog plot that doesn't seem to be resolved for now was very weird tho

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Yinlock posted:

he's not even remotely though

They have the exact same personality.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Inuyasha and Kagome never high-fived.

Also they got married in the end iirc. Malroth has pure friendship feelings and wants nothing to do with marriage.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

they do not, like at all

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Final trip report on V, PS2 edition. To the end, I still prefer the DS translation over the admittedly more faithful (to names and such) fantranslation.

Also, the final dungeon is bugged out the rear end, and I had to navigate a portion of it basically blind because the camera was lodged quite firmly under the floor.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

Malroth has pure friendship feelings and wants nothing to do with marriage.
He keeps nagging me to build us a shared room, pretty sure that counts.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Final trip report on V, PS2 edition. To the end, I still prefer the DS translation over the admittedly more faithful (to names and such) fantranslation.

Also, the final dungeon is bugged out the rear end, and I had to navigate a portion of it basically blind because the camera was lodged quite firmly under the floor.

Under the floor? Yikes that’s a buzzkill. So are you moving on to VI now?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Social Animal posted:

Under the floor? Yikes that’s a buzzkill. So are you moving on to VI now?

Starting after IV, I'm playing something else between each to keep myself from burning out on them. After IV, it was the first Breath of Fire. Now after V, it's Mega Man X: Command Mission. After that, I'll be moving on to VI. Probably the mobile version.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I loved the first Breath of Fire when I was a kid. How does it hold up? I wonder if I should play the other games.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's aged pretty rough, but I still found it fun enough. My biggest complaint really was the music resetting after every battle. With how hilariously high the encounter rate is in some areas that got really old really fast.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Social Animal posted:

I loved the first Breath of Fire when I was a kid. How does it hold up? I wonder if I should play the other games.
My personal favorites are 3 and 4. 3's Dragon Gene system is hilariously broken and really fun to play around with, while 4 is probably the best-designed game in the series. Dragon Quarter is good as long as you're not expecting a Breath of Fire game; it's a radical departure from the rest of the series in both tone and mechanics and the shock of the changes caused it to be poorly received, but it's a good game on its own merits.

2 is good, I recommend the retranslation patch if you're going to play it, but the series' iconic dragon transformations are at their weakest in that game and are barely worth using most of the time. Otherwise it's a kinda generic but fun SNES JRPG, but probably the weakest of the series.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

sure malroth is pretty belligerent but he's not a tsudere at all lol

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If Malroth was Inuyasha he'd turn his back, cross his arms, and go "hmmph." instead of cheering and highfiving you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Commander Keene posted:

My personal favorites are 3 and 4. 3's Dragon Gene system is hilariously broken and really fun to play around with, while 4 is probably the best-designed game in the series. Dragon Quarter is good as long as you're not expecting a Breath of Fire game; it's a radical departure from the rest of the series in both tone and mechanics and the shock of the changes caused it to be poorly received, but it's a good game on its own merits.

2 is good, I recommend the retranslation patch if you're going to play it, but the series' iconic dragon transformations are at their weakest in that game and are barely worth using most of the time. Otherwise it's a kinda generic but fun SNES JRPG, but probably the weakest of the series.

If you pick up Deis in BoF2 it ends up being better to just not use dragon forms and instead buff people with the atk boost skill since you'll hit for 500+ damage every turn without needing to mess around with ap-restoring crap.

BoF 3's easily my favorite and has some of the best sprite work of any video game. Seeing Ryu go from scared flailing kid, to semi-confident kid, then to confident young adult is real cool too.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

So with Dragon Quest 11 coming along soon, I thought I'd take a stab at my first Dragon quest game,

My friend let me borrow his 3DS copy of 8, is there anything I should know about this game beforehand, and anything in general about the series?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

So with Dragon Quest 11 coming along soon, I thought I'd take a stab at my first Dragon quest game,

My friend let me borrow his 3DS copy of 8, is there anything I should know about this game beforehand, and anything in general about the series?

I think you have to be at a certain level to successfully Psych up to 50 and 100, Metal Slimes are rare enemies that give tons of exp if you can kill them (the first ones you encounter will give you like 2000) and your best bet is hoping for a critical from something like hatchet man or thunder thrust.

If the thought of putting points in for a reward you're not told what it is in advance worries you because the game goes 'Add skill points to what?
Swords
Boomerangs
Spears
Courage'
And doesn't tell you when you'll unlock the next skill iirc. It's also locked in, you can't readjust things later like you can in 11.

Anyway Sex Appeal and Staves are pretty solid for Jessica.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Pixeltendo posted:

Don't be afraid of dying, it's not that big of a penalty. Battle isn't about choosing Fight, but using items, buffs and debuffs. Just make what you want of it and enjoy the ride.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RareAcumen posted:

I think you have to be at a certain level to successfully Psych up to 50 and 100
Supposedly, your tension caps out at 50 until you've reached 50 enough times. It's not level-based, from what I could find. Reaching 100 after that is somewhat RNG-based, too. I don't think you're supposed to go past 50 unless you really need to.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I finished the main game in DQB2 and now I'm just working on the tablet targets; I know I can just look up room types/requirements online but is there a way I can organically learn, within the game, what all the ???? rooms are? Some of the tablet targets require me to make rooms I have no idea how to make, and even beyond that there's a ton of rooms that are just unknown.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Talk to your villagers a bunch. Also go back to the other islands and talk to the people that stayed behind.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

Oh gently caress, I forgot about the biggest thing in the 3DS version! Quick Save is just a normal rear end save, you can save and just continue playing whenever you like. The only worry is that it doesn't affect your save file at all so if you're not careful you can totally wipe out hours of progress if you just completely eschew using Church saves in favor of it's convenience.

Commander Keene posted:

Supposedly, your tension caps out at 50 until you've reached 50 enough times. It's not level-based, from what I could find. Reaching 100 after that is somewhat RNG-based, too. I don't think you're supposed to go past 50 unless you really need to.

Yeah, I never really knew how it worked, to be honest. I just assumed it was level-based.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

bentacos posted:

Talk to your villagers a bunch. Also go back to the other islands and talk to the people that stayed behind.

also remember that, post-game, villagers have different things to say depending on the time of day

every single one has some kind of room reveal besides the epilogue ones

e: there's still a lot of rooms the game just straight-up doesn't tell you though, the most hilarious of which is the Doomed Room which is just any room with a wrecking ball in it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 31, 2019

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1167865405555138562?s=21

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've been playing the Switch demo of XI, and I don't know if I'm just missing it in the Help stuff, but does moving in battle actually do anything? Like getting behind the enemy and stuff. I can't seem to tell.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Moving in battle is purely a cosmetic thing and has no functional purpose at all.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've been playing the Switch demo of XI, and I don't know if I'm just missing it in the Help stuff, but does moving in battle actually do anything? Like getting behind the enemy and stuff. I can't seem to tell.

It does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

turning it off gives you classic dynamic battle camera too