Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Welp it's the end of preseason and I'm still kinda bummed we drafted Gary instead of Burns. Also that all of our ILBs are dead and teams are going to run up the gut on us all year but aside from that I'm excited to see what this new offense can do.

I've really started tampering my expectations though. I've talked to a lot of people that seem to think anything less than a return to the nfc championship game is a complete disaster, and that seems kinda insane to me given how completely devoid of talent this team was the past few years.

i think a lot of packers fan optimism throughout this offseason has been based on the expectation that MVS and some combination of ESB and Kumerow would make a leap, as well as the scheme and defense

someone can easily theorize that the lack of receiver depth last year prevented rodgers from carrying the team thru its defensive, special teams and running game shortcomings the way he usually does, and go "well, if the young guys mature into valuable receivers we'll be golden"

projecting young WRs is usually a crapshoot though so im like, who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Sure, just do whatever the gently caress, Bob, cool

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1167543794880974848

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Play posted:

For me, realistically I agree with you. Rodgers is amazing but I just don't think the roster is there. There's also a lot of young guys who seem to make a ton of mental mistakes. Add in a brand new scheme and you've got a recipe for tasty, delicious clownball.

I think they at least have a chance of winning the NFC North, although wouldn't be remotely surprised if they didn't. NFC Championship game seems unlikely to me, there are quite a few teams in the NFC with much better rosters

Too bad anything less than a playoff appearance will get LaFleur fired. Once a team and fanbase see something like that work once (Ray Rhodes), they're going to be convinced it's the right move every time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

PupsOfWar posted:

i think a lot of packers fan optimism throughout this offseason has been based on the expectation that MVS and some combination of ESB and Kumerow would make a leap, as well as the scheme and defense

someone can easily theorize that the lack of receiver depth last year prevented rodgers from carrying the team thru its defensive, special teams and running game shortcomings the way he usually does, and go "well, if the young guys mature into valuable receivers we'll be golden"

projecting young WRs is usually a crapshoot though so im like, who knows

I think I picked up MVS, who is slotted to be WR2 for a team that traditionally throws the ball a lot, in the 9th round of my fantasy draft. So not a lot of confidence most places that those guys are ready, and you can see why by watching the tape from last year. Drops, incorrect routes, bad reads galore for those guys, Kumerow, ESB and Allison included. And now they have to learn a totally new offense? I like MVS because in theory he could be a really good WR but from what we've seen so far it's gonna be Davante Adams: ride or die. Which is why he's going so insanely high in those drafts.

Then there's the defense, which is in a similar situation with a lot of young guys who haven't shown much especially on the back end. They're fast and athletic but will they actually form a good secondary?

The biggest unknown by far though is the coaching and play calling. It might work right away, it might get off to a slow start and then pick up steam, or it might fail utterly. If I was a Packers fan I'd try to go into this season with literally no expectations because the range of potential outcomes is so wide.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I was curious, so I went to PFR to find out how many Lions 2nd-round draft picks this millennium stayed with the team beyond their rookie contract:

- Dominic Raiola, 2001
- Shaun Rogers, 2001
- Kalimba Edwards, 2002
- Louis Delmas, 2009
- Darius Slay, 2013

I think that's it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So you can craft QBs right? Like you can cut parts off one and use them to make another QB better? I assume that's what Quinn is going for.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Quinn just loving around with 7 round picks like Brad Kaaya and poo poo. Should have gotten somebody in rounds 3-4. Austin Bryant(Clemson, DE) better be good because we could have gotten Stidham.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MJeff posted:

So you can craft QBs right? Like you can cut parts off one and use them to make another QB better? I assume that's what Quinn is going for.

'DRAFT! D - R - A - F -T draft, not craft. Jesus Christ, Bob. Is that what all this surgical equipment is about?'

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fullmetal Alchemist Robert Quinn

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Rodgers is gonna tear the league a new rear end in a top hat to spite Fat Mike and the Packers are winning it all this year hth.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Pops Mgee posted:

Rodgers is gonna tear the league a new rear end in a top hat to spite Fat Mike and the Packers are winning it all this year hth.

That's right

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Skimming the new posts, apparently Rodgers tore his rear end in a top hat.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

MJeff posted:

Skimming the new posts, apparently Rodgers tore his rear end in a top hat.

BREAKING...

Aaron Rodgers is being listed as questionable for Week 1 with what is described as a lower body injury.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Pops Mgee posted:

Too bad that defense is gonna collapse again.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Rectal Placenta posted:

Only good thing the Lions are allowed to have.

I remember when the Lions had a bad kicker for a season before we got Prater and it was close to the end of the world for us.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

PupsOfWar posted:

ive known high-school teams that onside kicked a lot just because their kicker couldn't get it downfield very well anyway

another who did it once in a surprise halftime move in a tight game (like in the saints-colts super bowl), then decided it worked so well they should just keep doing it. they're still going to this day.

also saw a team that didn't onside, but whose kicker could pooch it so accurately at about 25 yards that they could just have a gunner run under it and catch it for a recovery - the opposing team had never seen this done before and took a while to realize kickoffs don't operate on punt rules

high school football is a weird uncharted universe where most people don't know what they are doing. Many coaches have gone mad with power and are full of crazy schemes

Not high school but I played in the UK and everyone was running poo poo like single wing offences from the 1920s with offset o-lines, wishbone formation or just making the qb the fastest runner and running bootlegs every play

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Jay Cutler was too good for us

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

OxySnake posted:

Too bad that defense is gonna collapse again.

Extremely possible! But like half of the starters got upgraded so who knows.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sam Ficken released, Packers keeping Crosby.

Who signs Ficken, Bears or Vikings?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1167539509166297088?s=19

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Only one of those who was ever good was Eddie Lacy. :rip:

Nick Perry and Datone Jones were especially frustrating because they were picked in the first round, two consecutive years apart, when the defense really needed help and neither of them amounted to poo poo.

That's almost a Lions-worthy list of draft failure.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sam Ficken released, Packers keeping Crosby.

Who signs Ficken, Bears or Vikings?

Sam gently caress

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I remember when the Lions had a bad kicker for a season before we got Prater and it was close to the end of the world for us.

Losing to the Jim Schwartz Bills because of that is up there with my worst memories as a Lions fan.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

MJeff posted:

Losing to the Jim Schwartz Bills because of that is up there with my worst memories as a Lions fan.

I was at that game with Hizawk!

It was a fun time except for the soul-crushing disappointment.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

J'Mon Moore has been cut.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1167870000801017856

The Kaiser is dead.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

4th round 2018 pick... not a Ted pick. :ohdear:

Good.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

Good.

Boyle seems mostly on par with Kizer, with less upside.

I mean if the backups playing it doesnt really matter either way.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Vikings are taking their special teams to strange new places.

https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/1167890581143474178?s=19

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Just throwing that 5th rounder straight into the dumpster

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Shepherd has made the Packers team for now. Pretty wild, he didn’t even get an undrafted offer from anyone after the draft. He was picked up by the Packers after a group tryout.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

Shepherd has made the Packers team for now. Pretty wild, he didn’t even get an undrafted offer from anyone after the draft. He was picked up by the Packers after a group tryout.

I'm surprised, I thought we would practice squad him and keep Lazard. Ended up cutting Lazard instead.

Team seems really young this year compared to the last couple years, but that might just be a side effect of focusing on rookies and UDFAs all month.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Huh, Josh Johnston won the backup job. Definitely didn't see that coming.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Packers final 53 is out. https://www.packers.com/news/packers-keep-only-two-qbs-here-s-the-initial-53-man-roster

Only real surprise is EQ went to permanent IR, he won't be back until 2020. I also have no clue who Chandon Sullivan is but admittedly I haven't been following the secondary much.

I expect these players to get signed to the practice squad (if they make it through waivers): Manny Wilkins, Allen Lazard, Markus Jones, Kabion Ento. And Curtis Bolton (once he's healthy).

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Packers final 53 is out. https://www.packers.com/news/packers-keep-only-two-qbs-here-s-the-initial-53-man-roster

Only real surprise is EQ went to permanent IR, he won't be back until 2020. I also have no clue who Chandon Sullivan is but admittedly I haven't been following the secondary much.

I expect these players to get signed to the practice squad (if they make it through waivers): Manny Wilkins, Allen Lazard, Markus Jones, Kabion Ento. And Curtis Bolton (once he's healthy).

Sullivan is a pretty decent press man corner. Had a pick in preaseason.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ybrik posted:

Just throwing that 5th rounder straight into the dumpster

Lions got Snacks for a 5th, lol

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The Lions roster actually seems pretty solid...

So, clearly, something's gotta give.

Ragnow will probably miss week 1.

I kind of understand why the Lions have SO many defensive players on the 53. Apparently the defense is hard to pickup (hence why a rapist created it), so I can see why they want depth players who know what to do.

The offense barely has any room for injuries, and is a bevell offense, so basically all everyone needs to learn is how to block for the run play that's going to be called on first and second down.

Hizawk fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 1, 2019

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MikeCrotch posted:

Not high school but I played in the UK and everyone was running poo poo like single wing offences from the 1920s with offset o-lines, wishbone formation or just making the qb the fastest runner and running bootlegs every play

Think you might need a VPN but if anyone wants to catch the cream of British football: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/american-football/49494578

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hizawk posted:

The Lions roster actually seems pretty solid...

So, clearly, something's gotta give.

Ragnow will probably miss week 1.

I kind of understand why the Lions have SO many defensive players on the 53. Apparently the defense is hard to pickup (hence why a rapist created it), so I can see why they want depth players who know what to do.

The offense barely has any room for injuries, and is a bevell offense, so basically all everyone needs to learn is how to block for the run play that's going to be called on first and second down.

I think the team has enough talent to succeed, so it's really going to come down to Patricia being a garbage rear end coach dragging down the team. He will lead the lions to 7-9 (Caldwell would've gotten 9-7, a wild card slot, and a wild card loss), get another year, go 5-11, and get fired along with Quinn. His replacement will be a safe retread who goes 9-7 and picks up a wild card slot, loses, and then will never do that good well again as Stafford declines and retires. Martha Ford will then die, the team will be relocated to San Antonio, and the entire city of Detroit will sink into the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't believe i have to root against Wildcats North