Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s US politics, but everyone should check out the saga of Bedbug Bret Stephens if you haven’t already, it’s some of the the greatest lols in years.

I saw that a few days ago. I thought it was hilarious. I cried laughing for ages. I posted about it on FB but no one else seemed to find it funny. One friend was going 'is calling someone a bedbug even an insult?'

256= 16 squared.
When I was a student in 1978, I used to walk past 256 Tottenham Court Road every day to get the tube and I would think "oh look 16 squared". How sad am I?

Sorry I messed up this did originally say 14 not 16 and it was 16 squared I used to say to myself.
This is what comes of multi-tasking.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Here is a decent little page on purifying water for those interested, including how to purify with normal household bleach. Hopefully it won't come to that, but it's useful to know

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I saw that a few days ago. I thought it was hilarious. I cried laughing for ages. I posted about it on FB but no one else seemed to find it funny. One friend was going 'is calling someone a bedbug even an insult?'

It's gotten so much worse/funnier

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ms Fuchi posted:

Here is a decent little page on purifying water for those interested, including how to purify with normal household bleach. Hopefully it won't come to that, but it's useful to know

Can also get purification tablets from Milletts, Mountain Warehouse or Amazon etc.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

256= 14 squared.
When I was a student in 1978, I used to walk past 256 Tottenham Court Road every day to get the tube and I would think "oh look 14 squared". How sad am I?

I'm afraid I have to say that's 16 squared.

Though maybe that's the joke.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

I'm afraid I have to say that's 16 squared.

Though maybe that's the joke.

Yeah sorry I'll go back and edit it. I did used to say 16-squared to myself.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Just finished wrecking my voice outside Downing Street.

Looked like there was someone close to the front throwing up Nazi salutes and swearing at everyone. Was a bit odd ...

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

SpaceCommie posted:

Just finished wrecking my voice outside Downing Street.

Looked like there was someone close to the front throwing up Nazi salutes and swearing at everyone. Was a bit odd ...

They really shouldn't let Rees-Mogg out in public unsupervised.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah sorry I'll go back and edit it. I did used to say 16-squared to myself.

I only know it because computers, I'm sure you could get away with a typo for 18 squared or 14 squared.

e: Unrelated but a typo of my own made me wonder - do unicode emojis work on SA: 📛🆒️🆓️🆔️⁉️

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 31, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

I only know it because computers, I'm sure you could get away with a typo for 18 squared or 14 squared.

e: Unrelated but a typo of my own made me wonder - do unicode emojis work on SA: 📛🆒️🆓️🆔️⁉️

I can see your emojis (using Windows / Chrome to view)

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's gotten so much worse/funnier

Wow just checked it out on Graun:
You're right!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/aug/30/bret-stephens-bedbug-column-twitter

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Dear god. Made the mistake of looking at the Facebook comments on an article about the (well attended) protest down here in Exeter.

"We should go far right on them" etc etc. I loving hate this country sometimes.

Did like the "don't they have jobs to go to" line though. On a Saturday. I know that's a go to line when there are protests but think what day of the week it is champ.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Fuchi posted:

You can also get germicidal UVC lamps that run off a battery if you don't have enough power to boil water and don't fancy adding cleaning chemicals.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Roblo posted:

Did like the "don't they have jobs to go to" line though. On a Saturday. I know that's a go to line when there are protests but think what day of the week it is champ.

In fairness having a job where you reliably have Saturdays off is way more common among Tories.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There’s a new development today which raises the whole affair to the lolosphere.

E:

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1167578038483259394
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1167586983436271616
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1167589815354875905
https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1167594833231269890
Then the NYT lies to cover his arse:
https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1167618185052508160

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 31, 2019

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

njsykora posted:

In fairness having a job where you reliably have Saturdays off is way more common among Tories.

Pretty sure this guy wasn't a labour voter.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Non-Brexit minor news which is definately a novelty for NI politics

https://twitter.com/JohnODowdSF/status/1167713720610557952?s=19

Sinn Fein MLA declaring an open challenge for the vice presidency of the party (and thus leadership of it North of the border and right to be Deputy First Minister if Stormont comes back).

This is extremely out of the ordinary for SF - might be a sign that some of the lads up North are a bit frustrated with SF's losses in the Euros/Locals south of the border and want to take a more active role at the top.

Of course there are people saying that if this has been openly declared it's likely it's been decided that Michelle O'Neill should be replaced already - SF does not like open factionalism in the party.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 31, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s US politics, but everyone should check out the saga of Bedbug Bret Stephens if you haven’t already, it’s some of the the greatest lols in years.

I am so glad that Americans have now got the various sagas of Toby Young in return

It is magical hearing people read his article about how no-one turned up to his stag do and so now friendship is dead

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

THIS IS MY JOB!

THIS IS MY LIFE!!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Diet Crack posted:

Let us all donate £1 to your survival. GoonFundMe.

Unironically this tho?

Tarnop set it up

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
I still think we should goon project to take over that castle during the brexit riots

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

I still think we should goon project to take over that castle during the brexit riots

Buckingham? Seconded.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Leeds protest had a good breakout march, SP had a dumb chant but we carried on through the rain fine.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

To any of the doctors in this thread, is trepanning a good cure for a headache? Because I'm really tempted to drill a hole in my skull just in case

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

To any of the doctors in this thread, is trepanning a good cure for a headache? Because I'm really tempted to drill a hole in my skull just in case

I mean, you probably won't have a headache afterwards, but not in a good way.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Yes but you have to drill the hole in the balls to release the pressure there, this is a common mistake

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes but you have to drill the hole in the balls to release the pressure there, this is a common mistake

This is true, it redirects the qi to your brain.

Qi is stored in the balls.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Get some bottled water for rehydrating all that dried stuff and drinking. After all, Johnson did promise that the chemicals needed to purify water would definitely be available post Apocalypse....

Not trying to jump on anyone here, be prepared and all that, but what kind of brexit apocalypse are people thinking of that's going to cause the water supplies to turn off? Water companies have a legally mandated requirement to supply water in the case of an outage, and backup generators to keep plants going in the case of rolling blackouts because the continental electric interlinks went down etc. Cant' find a decent source, but look at page 22 of https://assets.publishing.service.g..._pdf___002_.pdf as a brief example.

Food I can see getting some long life supplies just in case, to get through a couple of weeks of panic buying clearing shelves etc, but a couple of litres of water isn't going to last long compared to just filling up a bath tub the day before we leave. I can't quite get my head around the mindset. Is it people have worked themselves into a froth, just want to feel like they're doing something in a world they can't control, or are seriously planning?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RockyB posted:

Not trying to jump on anyone here, be prepared and all that, but what kind of brexit apocalypse are people thinking of that's going to cause the water supplies to turn off? Water companies have a legally mandated requirement to supply water in the case of an outage, and backup generators to keep plants going in the case of rolling blackouts because the continental electric interlinks went down etc. Cant' find a decent source, but look at page 22 of https://assets.publishing.service.g..._pdf___002_.pdf as a brief example.

The fear isn't the loss of the water itself, but the purification - cleaning it usually relies on imported chemicals.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1167812223630225409

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Listened to the podcast, it was very good. Volume was a bit up and down occasionally, but my volume twister dial is close at hand and solved the problem.

Is 1hr 20mins too long? The Dominic Cummings part felt like it lasted about an hour of that.

A blogroll is what we used to have in the olden days on our blogs when we had a list of other blogs and links we liked in our sidebars. Like a rollcall of people on a blog - a blogroll if you will.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Red Oktober posted:

I mean, you probably won't have a headache afterwards, but not in a good way.

So what you're saying is I'm onto a good idea.

I mean, I was considering copying that episode of house where he was bet by Cuddy he couldn't go a week without Vicodin so he smashed his hand with what looked like a pestle. Also cutting my nose off so I could get access to my sinus and give them a good clean. But trepanning seems more novel.

But I guess I'll settle for seeing if ibuprofen will take the edge off

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dead Goon posted:

Listened to the podcast, it was very good. Volume was a bit up and down occasionally, but my volume twister dial is close at hand and solved the problem.

Is 1hr 20mins too long? The Dominic Cummings part felt like it lasted about an hour of that.

Also just finished it - very enjoyable and informative :)

1 hour 20 is a pretty good length - and the topics are spaced out fairly well - I think it's just the subject of super rationalist Cum Daddy Dom that automatically makes anything seem longer than it is :v:

Also Comment or Commentariat is pretty good.

forkboy84 posted:

But I guess I'll settle for seeing if ibuprofen will take the edge off

What sort of headache is it? I normally get tension headaches, which stretches can help ease, although, if possible some painkillers and a siesta somewhere normally helps.

[e]:
https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1167814833108127746

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 31, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

RockyB posted:

Food I can see getting some long life supplies just in case, to get through a couple of weeks of panic buying clearing shelves etc, but a couple of litres of water isn't going to last long compared to just filling up a bath tub the day before we leave. I can't quite get my head around the mindset. Is it people have worked themselves into a froth, just want to feel like they're doing something in a world they can't control, or are seriously planning?

This:

Tenebrais posted:

The fear isn't the loss of the water itself, but the purification - cleaning it usually relies on imported chemicals.

I have about 6 weeks supply in . I learned to do this living in the Middle East where (1) mains water could be dodgy and (2) when bottled water plants shut down because of purification problems not only did bottled water escalate in price, but it was also rationed to 2 x2l per day. Fine for me and my kitties but not if you were a family. For an outlay of under £20, worth it. And with 'use by' dates running into 2021 now, not a big problem. Just rotate a bottle a week out or whatever.
I wouldn't fancy drinking water that had been festering in the bath for a few days - and you might find it drains away / evaporates slowly anyway.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Dead Goon posted:

A blogroll is what we used to have in the olden days on our blogs when we had a list of other blogs and links we liked in our sidebars. Like a rollcall of people on a blog - a blogroll if you will.

Yeah, I’ve found some handy tools to sort the volume issues in future, so the next episode should be a big improvement on that front.

We were aiming for between an hour as the ideal and an hour and a half as the upper limit in general, though obviously preferring it to be closer to the one hour mark. That Dom Cummies bigbrain article was a long one, typically they’re a fair bit shorter, but with an article read it’ll always take up a big chunk of an episode with all the bullshit takes in it that need laughed at.

I figured blogroll was a genuine term, I just couldn’t get past it sounding like bog roll, which considering the absolute shite that comes out of the “rationalsphere” felt v fitting.

Im glad you enjoyed it :)

Pesky Splinter posted:

Also just finished it - very enjoyable and informative :)

1 hour 20 is a pretty good length - and the topics are spaced out fairly well - I think it's just the subject of super rationalist Cum Daddy Dom that automatically makes anything seem longer than it is :v:

Also Comment or Commentariat is pretty good.

Thanks pal!

Honestly that article was a cursed gift when I clocked it the day of recording. I had some simpering Sandbrook article from the mail as the article - which featured briefly in Comment or Commentariat - but the UberThunk being advocated there was just begging to be content, even if it did melt my brain reading over it multiple times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Benzedrex is good for sinus headaches. Hard to find in the UK though.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Pretty sure bottled water will still be widely available in one of the richest European countries, comrades

I mean come on, I swear this thread sometimes...

Everyone in Latin America would be long dead if civilisation was as fragile as you make it out to be

We still have a good ~50 years before we really get hosed IMO

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 31, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pochoclo posted:

Everyone in Latin America would be long dead if civilisation was as fragile as you make it out to be

Yeah, but we've seen 28 days later.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What's the UKMT Discord, I'm an IRC goon by heart but I can lurk and never speak in both I suppose!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/Hebsie/status/1167801183236440064?s=20

Sigh.

Also Corbyn was at a demo in Glasgow.

loving London melts can't conceive that there might also be stuff going on elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Btw guys good news, I was chatting to the DJ at my local last night and apparently pop punk is coming back in a big way.