Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Necrothatcher posted:

Do you have a tenancy agreement for your specific room or does it cover the entire house? If the former, then your room should have a lock. If the latter - a shared tenancy agreement - then no, the landlord doesn't have to provide internal locks.

The tenancy is for Room 1 at this address. There are other tenants who I have not yet met. The landlord is not a live in landlord, I have checked the council's register and this address is not listed as a HMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Podcast content was good, and I'm looking forward to the next one. Could use some extra editing, like getting everyone to sync the start of recording with a set tone, which makes it easier to line up (one person seemed to be delayed a bit judging by the delay between their jokes and the laughter), and the volume was spiking hard one one person's audio, so could have done with some high end clipping.

But the content itself was good and enjoyable and I was genuinely laughing along with it. A++ cast would pod again.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
You shouldn't guess the law says the landlord who almost certainly thinks the law is whatever his scumbag landlord forum buddies tell him he can get away with :laugh:

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Murder all landlords.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168241551069319169?s=21

lol, amazing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
oh my god could literally any of these fuckers grow a backbone

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

"I can't oppose no deal because, actually, that is in fact supporting no deal" :smugbert:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Endjinneer posted:

It's the socially acceptable middle class gateway protest movement that you can tell your colleagues about, but they've warmed a lot more people to the idea of direct action than any masked figure smashing up NatWest. If XR dissipates they'll still have moved a lot of people in the right direction, and those people will have learned that activism can go well beyond a letter to the Guardian and £5 to Greenpeace.
On the left wing we're far too keen to find enemies amongst our allies- I think it's far more effective to recognise what they've achieved and build on it than to tear it down because it wasn't exactly the thing we wanted.

I was perhaps a little harsh in that post. It has been great for mobilising people and I find that the people on the ground are quite a bit more sensible than the leadership. Their organisational abilities are to be admired, but yes the next step is definitely to pull people from XR into more radical groups. Like GAF!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

*Psst* All the Tories are Brexiteers, just some are more wishy washy about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168243205026045952?s=21

holy poo poo he did it, he found the one Tory who likes May's deal.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Lol raise your hands whoever is actually surprised by this

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I don't like to post about personal stuff (or posting that much in general) but I'm kind of involved in a hosed up situation and I can't think of anywher better to get advice.
Long story short I recently came out as gay to my sister. My sister has a work friend who is sort of an aunt figure to a kid who recently came out as bisexual to his family, and his father is being an incredible piece of poo poo about it. Like full on homophobic abuse, basically trying to bully him into being 'normal' and blaming his mother for 'feminizing' him with unmanly skincare.

So thats just an enormously poo poo situation and the kid is understanably not dealing well. And now my sister wants me to come along to an evening at a local boardgame cafe so I can be a counterpoint to the vile poo poo his father's been spewing.

The only problem is I don't feel qualified? I'm so oblivious that I only realized I was gay this year (I'm in my 30s) so I never had to put up with that kind of abuse and even if I had it would never have come from my cool and supportive family.

Basically, how do I help this kid? Like I can pick apart the toxic poo poo and point out how dumb and irrational his father is being, but I can't make it stop, I'm afraid that telling him to push back against his dad might make things worse.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Mr Phillby posted:

I don't like to post about personal stuff (or posting that much in general) but I'm kind of involved in a hosed up situation and I can't think of anywher better to get advice.
Long story short I recently came out as gay to my sister. My sister has a work friend who is sort of an aunt figure to a kid who recently came out as bisexual to his family, and his father is being an incredible piece of poo poo about it. Like full on homophobic abuse, basically trying to bully him into being 'normal' and blaming his mother for 'feminizing' him with unmanly skincare.

So thats just an enormously poo poo situation and the kid is understanably not dealing well. And now my sister wants me to come along to an evening at a local boardgame cafe so I can be a counterpoint to the vile poo poo his father's been spewing.

The only problem is I don't feel qualified? I'm so oblivious that I only realized I was gay this year (I'm in my 30s) so I never had to put up with that kind of abuse and even if I had it would never have come from my cool and supportive family.

Basically, how do I help this kid? Like I can pick apart the toxic poo poo and point out how dumb and irrational his father is being, but I can't make it stop, I'm afraid that telling him to push back against his dad might make things worse.

Sounds like a delicate situation, this is just my opinion but I'd involve a professional if possible. Might not be a bad idea to just have a chat though (or just listen to the kid), but I'd say don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 1, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It would be so funny if May was still going around Westminster trying to get people to back her deEeeEeAaaaAal

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

And now my sister wants me to come along to an evening at a local boardgame cafe so I can be a counterpoint to the vile poo poo his father's been spewing.

Just do that, if his father is a hateful homophobe then do the opposite and just be kind, listen to the kid and don't make any judgements about his dad to his face.

I will say please be careful though goon brother, if his shithead dad finds out he's been hanging about with a 30yr old gay dude that might not end well for yourself.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

they know Johnson can't call an election without a 2/3 majority, right

(wrong)

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Mr Phillby posted:

Good on you for meeting him but as you've realised you can't fix it. Neither could you if you were a highly qualified therapist or similar.

He needs to work out what he wants to do. Ask a lot of questions about how he is, what he's experienced and what he would like to do next. Just genuinely listening to the answers will help a lot.

Disclaimer: As just about the only 'religious' person in this thread I'm no expert on LGBT stuff, although perhaps I should be, this answer just comes from my human experience.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

AceClown posted:

Just do that, if his father is a hateful homophobe then do the opposite and just be kind, listen to the kid and don't make any judgements about his dad to his face.

I will say please be careful though goon brother, if his shithead dad finds out he's been hanging about with a 30yr old gay dude that might not end well for yourself.

This ^ ^

I second the 'professional' suggestion. They might know of support groups led by professionals that might be better suited.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

they know Johnson can't call an election without a 2/3 majority, right

(wrong)

why would this be a problem? labour and the SNP would obviously vote for an election

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
On the other hand
https://mobile.twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1168223399803531264
Thank god we avoided chaos with Ed Milliband

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

marktheando posted:

why would this be a problem? labour and the SNP would obviously vote for an election

if they've got an extension with the EU already negotiated they would

if not they might be worried that dissolving Parliament for long enough for the election campaign to take place could take us past the 31st (and there's not any mechanism I'm aware of for securing an extension while Parliament is dissolved)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr Phillby posted:

Like people have said, a professional (which can just be someone who does counselling in some capacity, not necessarily a therapist or anything) is probably gonna provide the best concrete guidance

But if you think about it, you're both in the same kind of situation - both come out recently, both come to terms with some stuff, it's just this kid is in much worse family circumstances. So you can listen, but you can also both talk about your experiences, how it's going in general, what you're looking forward to in the future

And because you're in a better place, with a bit more life experience, you get to provide a bit of a grounded perspective, let the kid see how things should be and that it's not their fault their dad is flipping out. I think that's probably worthwhile?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's no wonder that they all think Corbyn is a Stalinist monster if they treat having the whip withdrawn like they're having their life threatened. Worthless fucks.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tory rebels

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Like people have said, a professional (which can just be someone who does counselling in some capacity, not necessarily a therapist or anything) is probably gonna provide the best concrete guidance

But if you think about it, you're both in the same kind of situation - both come out recently, both come to terms with some stuff, it's just this kid is in much worse family circumstances. So you can listen, but you can also both talk about your experiences, how it's going in general, what you're looking forward to in the future

And because you're in a better place, with a bit more life experience, you get to provide a bit of a grounded perspective, let the kid see how things should be and that it's not their fault their dad is flipping out. I think that's probably worthwhile?

Yeah you don't have to be a professional to listen to someone and empathise. It can help to have someone to talk to who's in a similar situation.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

The word rebel is rolling in its dictionary right now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Apraxin posted:

On the other hand
https://mobile.twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1168223399803531264
Thank god we avoided chaos with Ed Milliband

This is politics talk for 'Boris is hiding' isn't it.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

MrFlibble posted:

The word rebel is rolling in its dictionary right now.

I think the word Tory in that phrase is like the word Dutch in all those old fashioned insults. A Tory rebel.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

Most puzzle games of that period were bullshit because it was the only way to get their 5 hour (or one hour) game to last longer.
See: everything Sierra made.

You’re right of course, but Discworld takes this phenomenon to unheard of heights. There is literally a puzzle where, in order to get a guy to take off his robe so you can steal it (of course, it is the only black robe in the world), you must catch a butterfly (which is a bullshit task in itself), travel backwards in time, and then release the butterfly at the lamppost where the guy will later stand. Strange waves will emanate from the insect and then the “butterfly effect” causes a localised rainstorm to soak the guy in the future, forcing him to take off the robe to dry it.

I refuse to believe that even a single person solved this puzzle without following a guide or brute forcing the solution by trying every possible possibility in the game.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Comrade Fakename posted:

You’re right of course, but Discworld takes this phenomenon to unheard of heights. There is literally a puzzle where, in order to get a guy to take off his robe so you can steal it (of course, it is the only black robe in the world), you must catch a butterfly (which is a bullshit task in itself), travel backwards in time, and then release the butterfly at the lamppost where the guy will later stand. Strange waves will emanate from the insect and then the “butterfly effect” causes a localised rainstorm to soak the guy in the future, forcing him to take off the robe to dry it.

I refuse to believe that even a single person solved this puzzle without following a guide or brute forcing the solution by trying every possible possibility in the game.

You just gave me horrible flashbacks

e: I often get a crazy idea I'd like to play through some of the old point and click puzzle classics but I just know I wouldn't have the patience I did pre Internet and I'd just end up reading a guide

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 1, 2019

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168243205026045952?s=21

holy poo poo he did it, he found the one Tory who likes May's deal.

This is completely crazytown logic from that MP, there won't be a deal to vote on unless Johnson puts May's deal up, because Johnson won't reach a different deal with the EU, and nothing indicates that Johnson would prefer May's deal over No Deal.

As long as Johnson is Prime Minister, there won't be a Brexit with a deal.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Comrade Fakename posted:

There's an easter egg that was so well hidden that it wasn't discovered until decades later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkCA2yl4MQE

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I posted this on reddit's legal advice UK subreddit but I'll repost it here to see what advice I can get.

Hello, I have just moved to a new city and into shared accomodation. I had moved most of my stuff in when I realised the door to my room did not have a lock on it. I have a key to the front and the back doors (which if not actually locked can be opened from the outside without a key).

I did some cursory research, which indicated that houses of multiple occupancy are required to have locks on the rooms, and texted my landlord to request a lock for my room. He said it wasn't possible, as he did not want to be called out for when people lose their keys. I pushed back a bit, stating that from my understanding that it is the law that shared houses have locks on the rooms, and he responded by telling not to "guess the law", that he is a professional landlord, that he does not need this on a Sunday evening, and that if I don't like it he is willing to void the contract and I can find somewhere else.

I've decided to leave it there for now, but wanted to ask you folk, what is the legality of this? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

e: Also this is in England

For context, I am a 30 year old professional, this is not student housing. It is just the room I am renting, I have an en suite but there is a shared kitchen.

You have a rather significant leg to stand on, but you need to be asking yourself if this is the kind of landlord you want to be dealing with. If taking him up on his offer and telling him to get stuffed is not an option, I would fit a cheap lock to the door to tide you over while you look for a place not owned by a slumlord.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Government to scrap plans for 'Henry VIII power' to end free movement

Amazingly, this is because it might not be legal, not because there exists no way to distinguish between newly-arriving EU citizens, and ones who haven't filled in the "I want to stay" form yet!

Or indeed the ones who have, unless you print out your confirmation page (which the hostile border guard will definitely accept)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168264692520882176

EDIT
https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1168266343793221632

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So apparently the govt has just warned pensioners that after no deal, pensioners living in the EU will no longer get the triple lock, i.e. their pensions will be frozen (after 3 years)

Do it BoJo, anger the olds. Keep doing it. That can only end well

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bobstar posted:

Government to scrap plans for 'Henry VIII power' to end free movement

Amazingly, this is because it might not be legal, not because there exists no way to distinguish between newly-arriving EU citizens, and ones who haven't filled in the "I want to stay" form yet!

Or indeed the ones who have, unless you print out your confirmation page (which the hostile border guard will definitely accept)

Aside from everything else I just don't see immediate immigration enforcement as realistic - the UK currently indefinitely (though for the majority, albeit a slim one, it's only a couple months) locks up about 30k people per year for eventual deportation.

If that were to expand to even 1% of the EU migrant population (and LMAO if you think that they would stop at only 1%) it would still quadruple the current immigration enforcement rate, which I imagine would overwhelm the capacity just a touch.

If I weren't one of the people eminently at risk of being locked up I'd almost like to see the chaos it would be.

e: phoneposting

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 1, 2019

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

so is this just a regular 3-line whip or is it like Hyper 3-Line Omae Wa Mou Shinderu Whip

also given what the Whip actually is i am confused by the etymology of the phrase "withdrawing the whip"

https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/principal/whips/

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

everyone posted:

Good sensible advice
Thanks all.
I'll do my best. I hope my experience can be valuable as an example of what not to do at least. Its really heartening to see more and more of the next generation openly talk about this stuff from a younger age.
I don't know about seeking professional counciling at this stage but I can definitely look into local support groups and at the very least make sure the kid has Childline's contact info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Aside from everything else I just don't see immediate immigration enforcement as realistic - the UK currently indefinitely (though for the majority, albeit a slim one, it's only a couple months) locks up about 30k people per year for eventual deportation.

If that were to expand to even 1% of the EU migrant population (and LMAO if you think that they would stop at only 1%) it would still quadruple the current immigration enforcement rate, which I imagine would overwhelm the capacity just a touch.

If I weren't one of the people eminently at risk of being locked up I'd almost like to see the chaos it would be.

e: phoneposting

"Government writes laws it has no capacity to enforce" is brexit in a nutshell and part of why I'm not convinced boris has any idea what he's doing.