Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
like, have we, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bleck posted:

like, have we, though

To a much greater extent compared to back then I'd say it's a resounding yes. Obviously it's not perfect, but compared to back then it's clear that saying certain words is considered a big loving no no.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

well poo poo, that really sucks

it's a rotten experience to learn people you like enjoy using slurs when they think no one's listening. regardless of the clip's age, i can see why that would piss people off

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

U-DO Burger posted:

well poo poo, that really sucks

it's a rotten experience to learn people you like enjoy using slurs when they think no one's listening. regardless of the clip's age, i can see why that would piss people off

Last thoughts on this, but given the age of the clip I wouldn't put much thought if any on it. Like I said, that poo poo was EVERYWHERE(sadly). You'd likely hear WORSE stuff in school yards. That's how normalized it was back then. If they haven't grown up from that poo poo then yeah it's a problem, but otherwise an apology, acknowledgement of its wrongness, and promise of improvement should suffice.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

last month i went to check to see what pronoun the wikia page for kikunoji, the samurai with the heart of a maiden uses and it turns out they were using "they" during an interregnum period in which they were holding a poll. i just remembered about it and it turns out "she" won so that's cool. also the talk page on the subject is insanely long. anyway that's my story thanks

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

oddium posted:

last month i went to check to see what pronoun the wikia page for kikunoji, the samurai with the heart of a maiden uses and it turns out they were using "they" during an interregnum period in which they were holding a poll. i just remembered about it and it turns out "she" won so that's cool. also the talk page on the subject is insanely long. anyway that's my story thanks

I mean doesn’t she literally say she has a body of a man but heart of a woman? Seems like it’d be obvious what her preferred pronoun would be.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

doomrider7 posted:

Last thoughts on this, but given the age of the clip I wouldn't put much thought if any on it. Like I said, that poo poo was EVERYWHERE(sadly). You'd likely hear WORSE stuff in school yards. That's how normalized it was back then. If they haven't grown up from that poo poo then yeah it's a problem, but otherwise an apology, acknowledgement of its wrongness, and promise of improvement should suffice.

I get that, and that's why I would expect a heartfelt apology now. Because when you get older and you mature and times change, you know what you did back then was wrong (even if I was one of those people who seemed to know it was wrong even as a child, and didn't do it then, I try not to hold it too hard against those who didn't, as long as it wasn't truly malicious), and a decent person feels bad about that, rather than defensive.

And as long as it's heartfelt, that's good enough for me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Seems like Drake has some sort of ulterior motive towards Kaido, since he intentionally sought him out and now he’s letting Law go. Maybe just wants to kill him but realized when he met Kaido that it’d be impossible even with a few supernovas so now he’s waiting for an opportunity? Also since Hawkins isn’t working for Kaido voluntarily he’ll probably help out once the raid starts.

Also Big Mom is totally going to betray Kaido, she probably thinks this is a good opportunity to get rid of Kaido and the Strawhats at the same time.

Drake could be a Marine mole sent to figure out Kaidou's weaknesses. He's a "reptile maniac," after all, so it makes sense that they would send him to figure out how to kill a dragon.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RatHat posted:

Seems like Drake has some sort of ulterior motive towards Kaido, since he intentionally sought him out and now he’s letting Law go. Maybe just wants to kill him but realized when he met Kaido that it’d be impossible even with a few supernovas so now he’s waiting for an opportunity? Also since Hawkins isn’t working for Kaido voluntarily he’ll probably help out once the raid starts.

Also Big Mom is totally going to betray Kaido, she probably thinks this is a good opportunity to get rid of Kaido and the Strawhats at the same time.

[spoiler]Drake has ALWAYS been a wildcard to me given his past as a Marine and I'm curious about how it'll pan out and what exactly he knows about things.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Drake was shown to be tangentially related to Kaidou in the past, his dad was the Marine that was trading the Ope Ope fruit in Law/Rosinante's flashback.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Drake is going for a poor mans Blackbeard gambit where he ends up yonko in the wreckage of whatever this arc ends off in

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

drjuggalo posted:

im really really glad there isnt a clips of luffy and sanji saying the n word or my soul would shatter in a million pieces

The n word is nakama :ssh:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

drake is gonna end up fighting queen and it's gonna be sweet

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

oddium posted:

also, holy poo poo this link

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Raspberry Bang posted:

The n word is nakama :ssh:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lol man cancel culture is poo poo.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Lpzie posted:

lol man cancel culture is poo poo.

You could have just let it go and instead unleashed the dumbest take possible, nice work

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's the James Gunn thing all over again.

Back on topic, the whole over half the Supernovas vs half the Emperors thing seems like very much an old guard vs new guard thing. (Ironic since the Wano arc is about getting the old gang back together to take back the country from the usurpers, albeit colonial puppets)

Drake's a bit of a funny one given his dad was a corrupt and abusive Marine who became a pirate, and he ended up doing the same thing. ...actually put that way he's like an older version of Helmeppo.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
can't wait til someone asks oda about big mum and bad dragon making all that noise upstairs and he says something like oh you know it's just what adults do when drunk.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

doomrider7 posted:

https://youtu.be/gEdzuR6ng1I

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

That poo poo never gets loving old.😁

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Minion of Freya posted:

I think this could be a fake out.

The alliance is to take on the world government. Big Mom might trick Kaido into sending his toughest guys on a mission just before the Strawhat alliance attacks. And then she can pull an "our agreement said nothing about fighting Strawhats together." It would be a callback to the limited scope alliance Law wishes he had with Luffy.

A betrayal could happen but I doubt it'll take this form. When she first approached Kaido about an alliance it was explicitly about taking on the Strawhats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Viridiant posted:

A betrayal could happen but I doubt it'll take this form. When she first approached Kaido about an alliance it was explicitly about taking on the Strawhats.

I mean she literally said 'We can kill each other after we finish taking over the world'

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
My prediction, the Strawhats will be 'defeated' and retrained, but then the alliance will fall apart because Kaido will want to imprison and break/turn them, but Big Mom will just want to execute them on the spot.

During the ensuing chaos, the Strawhats will once again escape and resume their attack (or possibly make a tactical retreat).

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I mean, I thought that Luffy was going to beat Big Mom after rescuing Sanji when way back before Whole Cake the title card for this thing was "The Four Great Emperors Arc" so gently caress me if I have any idea how this is going to go.

At this point Shanks and Blackbeard are probably going to show up. The latter to cause some serious poo poo and the former to watch a WWE pay-per-view because Kaido's place gets great reception and Kaido invited them over last time he was reeeeeeally smashed and doesn't remember until Shanks brings it up.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I love One Piece.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Viridiant posted:

I love One Piece.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
shanks is gonna show up with kid's severed arm and save the day

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I hope the alliance keeps breaking and reforming over petty things

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just realized the Numbers might be the other All Stars. 1 to 10 along with Jack, Queen and King.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just realized the Numbers might be the other All Stars. 1 to 10 along with Jack, Queen and King.

Yeah, though going with the card theme 1 would actually be "Ace," a card that has the distinction of either being the highest or the lowest depending on the circumstance. Yammy except actually good?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah, though going with the card theme 1 would actually be "Ace," a card that has the distinction of either being the highest or the lowest depending on the circumstance. Yammy except actually good?

Could Ace still be alive?!?!!?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

That would make sense, although I’m a little confused about how it relates to the Headliner and Flying Six designations. Are the Flying Six a subset of the Numbers, above the Numbers, or below the Numbers?

Edit: After checking what’s been revealed about the Numbers, they actually seem to be a group of horned giants like Kaidou, so they’re probably a completely separate group from the Headliners.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 2, 2019

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

since ace is already taken then i guess they can call the ace position "trump" instead

as an aside, i'm only just now realizing this is probably why doflamingo called himself joker

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

since ace is already taken then i guess they can call the ace position "trump" instead

as an aside, i'm only just now realizing this is probably why doflamingo called himself joker

Hm. Given the alternatives, I think I'd prefer they just reuse the name Ace. Luffy would have extra motivation to beat them as a bonus.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Silver2195 posted:

That would make sense, although I’m a little confused about how it relates to the Headliner and Flying Six designations. Are the Flying Six a subset of the Numbers, above the Numbers, or below the Numbers?

Edit: After checking what’s been revealed about the Numbers, they actually seem to be a group of horned giants like Kaidou, so they’re probably a completely separate group from the Headliners.

Well... If I'm gonna speculate their rank within Kaido's crew, it'll probably be something like:

Kaido
King
Queen
Jack
Numbers (Scratchmen Apoo might go here, he's either this or a Flying Six member)
Flying Six (X. Drake goes here)
Other Headliners (Basil Hawkins goes here)
Gifters
Pleasures
Waiters

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Well... If I'm gonna speculate their rank within Kaido's crew, it'll probably be something like:

Kaido
King
Queen
Jack
Numbers (Scratchmen Apoo might go here, he's either this or a Flying Six member)
Flying Six (X. Drake goes here)
Other Headliners (Basil Hawkins goes here)
Gifters
Pleasures
Waiters

Hawkins not being part of the Flying Six would be odd; surely he’s stronger than Page 1?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Silver2195 posted:

Hawkins not being part of the Flying Six would be odd; surely he’s stronger than Page 1?

He's around that level of power I believe, but he doesn't have the authority that the Flying Six are. So his rank is essentially just a normal Headliner.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Folt The Bolt posted:

He's around that level of power I believe, but he doesn't have the authority that the Flying Six are. So his rank is essentially just a normal Headliner.

Yes lets not forget that Hawkins is new to the Beasts Pirates while Drake and Apoo have already been members for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I bet Drake got promoted quick just because he fits the theme.