Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have the diaclone black omega supreme (incomplete though) kicking around somewhere. like most of my toys i picked it up at a car boot sale somewhere. he's got his arms, legs, head, hands, but not the wings that form the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Droyer posted:

I don't do KOs so yes it's real. This is DA-11 rather than DA-1 (all Diaclone releases get a DA number) from what i can tell the main differences are a few color differences, a connector on DA-1 which was prone to breakage was fixed (this is why I chose 11) and differently colored dianauts and bike. Not sure what you mean by extra accessories? If you mean the different backpack and arms those are Cosmo Battles 02, a separate purchase I found on Ebay bundled with the Powered Systems.

There is fiction to Diaclone but only in product catalogs for the old ones, and on their official page for the new ones. you can find translations of the 80s catalogs here: http://www.transformerland.com/blog/diaclone-toy-catalog-scans-translation-1980-in-the-beginning/. AFAIK the new stuff has never been translated.

Cool, thank you. And I've seen the Cosmo Battles 02 knocked off as well.

Haha, I'm actually good friends with the guy who runs Transformerland. We went to college and played in a band together, over 20 years ago! His collection has to be seen to be believed.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i have the diaclone black omega supreme (incomplete though) kicking around somewhere. like most of my toys i picked it up at a car boot sale somewhere. he's got his arms, legs, head, hands, but not the wings that form the track.

Omega Supreme was never a Diaclone toy.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Droyer posted:

Omega Supreme was never a Diaclone toy.

huh i guess I was wrong, he was a different brand of pre-transformers toy that hasbro bought

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Captain Invictus posted:

and the mechtech skids gun missing half the parts
Like at least with the wheels you could do a weird recolour of Nightbeat though...

idk if i am on crack but I pretty strongly remember seeing overlord in a shop in the uk at some point, I got a weird flashback to childhood when I first saw the character as an adult. It doesn't make a lot of sense cause iirc he was a japan-only transformer in G1, but I dunno who I would be confusing him with.
Overlord did get a European release, along with the Motorvators.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

For my money the most skulduggrous return was the reports I heard back in the Alternators days of those being replaced with regular 1/24 models

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My favorite was a build a figure piece that was replaced with a tomato.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

I like MMC Carnifex's face & glossy plastic the best, but I ended up buying double evil by fans hobby for a couple of reasons:

1) i could get him cheaper and cheap next day delivery in the UK vs ~£50 more + expensive shipping + long shipping for carnifex

2) pretty much every forum topic I googled had people rating double evil higher, but this was a comparatively minor factor cause I don't trust most people's taste and double evil is newer, and people always rave about newer stuff (except when they say it is the worst thing ever).

3) i think he is scaled better with the other masterpiece toys? i could be wrong

i was sad to read they were going to do another reissue of carnifex this year but cancelled it because preorder numbers were too low. I'd have been on that straight away.

idk if i am on crack but I pretty strongly remember seeing overlord in a shop in the uk at some point, I got a weird flashback to childhood when I first saw the character as an adult. It doesn't make a lot of sense cause iirc he was a japan-only transformer in G1, but I dunno who I would be confusing him with.

MMC stuff isn't cheap, true. As to the size...

(Shockwave is standing on something for height.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're both great bots. Gigapower teased their own version last year and you can bet your butts that I'm gonna own that one too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cyberverse Soundwave provides background music for the Decepticons.

He is now the best incarnation of that character to ever exist.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

MMC stuff isn't cheap, true. As to the size...

(Shockwave is standing on something for height.)

man, the face with the grin and the missing eye is so cool. overlord has to be one of the coolest transformers ever. I would've paid the retail price for MMC overlord, double evil actually retails for more, but double evil is still in stock some places, whereas for carnifex i'd have to pay secondary market prices. I still want to pick him up some day.

I wish any of the MMC decepticons were in-stock anywhere, especially the DJD guys

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

You guys, something happened. I came up with a project idea for a Transformer, and a started it, and then I finished it! I've never made it to that last step before for anything even slightly complex. And I'm even pretty much satisfied with the result.

I didn't really like Galaxy Force Optimus, the lack of a waist taper and thin chest windows on the regular robot mode made him look really fat, and his vehicle mode was fairly garbage, so I dyed Ultra Magnus red. All the blue and grey bits are straight transfers from a Galaxy Force Prime, as fortunately none of the them were remolded.

I also made a few other tweaks. Turns out Galaxy Force Prime's front wheel bits have a wedge that can be cut out to line up perfectly with the front bumper and fill that unsightly gap behind Ultra Magnus' front wheel. This does limit backwards leg movement in robot mode, but then major backward leg movement isn't really a thing in humanoids since mode people aren't regularly doing forward splits so I don't mind.

And since the Galaxy Force "trailer" didn't really serve a purpose in this mode since the super mode head/chest doesn't fit over the Ultra Magnus mode, I was able to remove the hand cover and greeble it up with various other bits cannibalized from the Galaxy Force parts to make a little mini-trailer/weapons holder thing.

And because of my irrational hatred of partsforming it can even stay on during transformation, and be carried around as some kind of ridiculous backpack.

Of course it also pops right off for the sake of a reasonable robot mode, but I couldn't stand to have something that absolutely has to be removed and set aide. This trailer's the weakest bit since it's noticeably other random bits superglued together if you look too closely at it, but it's removable so I can overlook that.

And now that I've gone through all this work some kind of Generations Select Ultra Magnus > Optimus red repaint is inevitable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How did you dye it red?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Holy poo poo, FT Quietus is so drat good! That alt mode is blowing my mind.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Droyer posted:

some more diaclone stuff arrived!

https://imgur.com/a/nKV0I2h

The one that can carry around all the mech suits in those little boxes is so cool. I need to get some of these ASAP. Also love the slow head rising action on Dia Battles.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Knormal posted:

You guys, something happened. I came up with a project idea for a Transformer, and a started it, and then I finished it! I've never made it to that last step before for anything even slightly complex. And I'm even pretty much satisfied with the result.

that looks really good, I had to re-read the post to figure out which one was the one you recoloured.

also man, i tried to watch the japanese G1 headmasters cartoon earlier today cause i wanted to see overlord in action there, and it's just loving terrible.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Overlord isn’t in Headmasters. He’s in Masterforce.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Overlord isn’t in Headmasters. He’s in Masterforce.

oh, dang. is masterforce any better than headmasters?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Headmasters rules.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Its more of a sentai-styled series because most of the characters are humans and pretenders, but I enjoy it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i'll give it another chance, i'm overall less of a fan of the human-focused stuff. I still don't fully understand the headmaster gimmick, beyond the broad strokes of a human turning into a head for a transformer. a lot of my transformers as a kid were headmasters (missing their heads, naturally) i got second hand. It took me a long time to find out their names, I had chromedome, fangry, scorponok, and snapjaw.

Fangry was in the marvel comic, in a form that looked exactly 0% like his toy, he looked more like a pretender of a werewolf with bat wings. I hope a third party or even hasbro does an updated version of him and squeezeplay sometime, they are both very cool.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
I did some Walmart and Target hopping today and found my Siege Smashdown and Caliburst which is wild because I couldn't seem to find them anywhere else, and then I found 4 of each at two Targets in a row. I almost grabbed as much as I could carry and stopped myself because I don't want to be That Guy (and I also hate the hassle of eBaying stuff). Also found two of the Rainmaker sets in the wild and and almost grabbed them before I realized, wait, dude, you think those are ugly and you'd be mad at yourself the moment you unboxed them.

I am way happy with what I've picked up so far. The transformations on some of the figures are tricky but it's totally worth it, everybody looks cool as poo poo and everyone is really poseable?? Like the last time I had Transformer toys was when I was a kid; I had a Gen 2 Optimus, a few of the early Targetmasters (I still have Kup here chilling on my desk, though I've long since lost his little partner, and Crosshairs was my favorite when I was a kid so you know I'm fuckin' amped for Siege Crosshairs), and a few of the Triggerbots and some of the second set of Targetmasters?? probably?? It's been a long time. Anyway, none of those old toys could do anything but unfold their legs and maybe move their arms up and down so some of these Siege toys are absolutely incredible by comparison. Siege Springer and Optimus are on my desk, posed like they're firing at incoming Decepticons and only if I actually pick them up do I realize they're not models, they're actual goddamn toys I can transform with my hands. Megatron and Red Alert and Hound are hanging out in vehicle mode until I get a little more time to hang out with them but man. Nostalgia overload.

Also after kind of checking online I guess I may be in the minority but I think the scuffing and combat damage looks extremely cool and I am all-in on the dirty, drug-out war-theme this series has going on. It is so wild to be excited about toys again.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

No. All the Japan-made shows are unwatchable trash.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I paid actual cash monies to rent the Japanese Headmasters series when I had no job and even then I couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

i'll give it another chance, i'm overall less of a fan of the human-focused stuff. I still don't fully understand the headmaster gimmick, beyond the broad strokes of a human turning into a head for a transformer. a lot of my transformers as a kid were headmasters (missing their heads, naturally) i got second hand. It took me a long time to find out their names, I had chromedome, fangry, scorponok, and snapjaw.

Fangry was in the marvel comic, in a form that looked exactly 0% like his toy, he looked more like a pretender of a werewolf with bat wings. I hope a third party or even hasbro does an updated version of him and squeezeplay sometime, they are both very cool.

The thing about Headmasters and Masterforce, it’s not a tinier robot or human becoming a larger person’s head, it’s that the tiny robot is attaching to what is basically a lifeless drone and using it to get on the same level as their enemies.

Keldroc posted:

No. All the Japan-made shows are unwatchable trash.

That reminds me, give RID/Car Robots a try. It’s a hoot.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Studio series Hightower is so adorable with his little head and tiny widdle t-rex arms.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

The thing about Headmasters and Masterforce, it’s not a tinier robot or human becoming a larger person’s head, it’s that the tiny robot is attaching to what is basically a lifeless drone and using it to get on the same level as their enemies.

That reminds me, give RID/Car Robots a try. It’s a hoot.

that is extremely lovely. does it even count as transformers if its just humans in mech suits?

i remember RID when it was on fox kids back in the day, and it was the worst loving show ever

also, the japanese VA for transformers is pretty bad. normally i like japanese voice acting but the characters all sound basically the same. I was hoping Overlord would sound like Dio from Jojos, but he is just generic.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Triple-Kan posted:

I did some Walmart and Target hopping today and found my Siege Smashdown and Caliburst which is wild because I couldn't seem to find them anywhere else, and then I found 4 of each at two Targets in a row. I almost grabbed as much as I could carry and stopped myself because I don't want to be That Guy (and I also hate the hassle of eBaying stuff). Also found two of the Rainmaker sets in the wild and and almost grabbed them before I realized, wait, dude, you think those are ugly and you'd be mad at yourself the moment you unboxed them.

I am way happy with what I've picked up so far. The transformations on some of the figures are tricky but it's totally worth it, everybody looks cool as poo poo and everyone is really poseable?? Like the last time I had Transformer toys was when I was a kid; I had a Gen 2 Optimus, a few of the early Targetmasters (I still have Kup here chilling on my desk, though I've long since lost his little partner, and Crosshairs was my favorite when I was a kid so you know I'm fuckin' amped for Siege Crosshairs), and a few of the Triggerbots and some of the second set of Targetmasters?? probably?? It's been a long time. Anyway, none of those old toys could do anything but unfold their legs and maybe move their arms up and down so some of these Siege toys are absolutely incredible by comparison. Siege Springer and Optimus are on my desk, posed like they're firing at incoming Decepticons and only if I actually pick them up do I realize they're not models, they're actual goddamn toys I can transform with my hands. Megatron and Red Alert and Hound are hanging out in vehicle mode until I get a little more time to hang out with them but man. Nostalgia overload.

Also after kind of checking online I guess I may be in the minority but I think the scuffing and combat damage looks extremely cool and I am all-in on the dirty, drug-out war-theme this series has going on. It is so wild to be excited about toys again.

One of us!

I think the reason that the Rainmakers (who are sold out online and near me) don't look that great is because they don't seem to have the scuff paint applied.

Some of the figures like Slamdance and Prowl (and the Seekers, I guess) look out of place because they're too clean.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i got Brunt yesterday and although he is an accursed parts-former, he is very cute and poses well and can hold a lot of stuff in his claw hands. He both goes with Trypticon, and looks like the robots Bludgeon uses in the IDW comic, so I had to have him.

i think my next third party purchase is gonna be the garatron thunderstorm, aka thunderwing, to complete the triad of cool IDW guys (bludgeon, overlord, and thunderwing)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, his purpose alongside sixshot and cog are to BE partsformers. it's literally their entire gimmick, to turn into a pile of weapons for other bots!

or to combine with themselves into a bigger buffer version of themselves

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, his purpose alongside sixshot and cog are to BE partsformers. it's literally their entire gimmick, to turn into a pile of weapons for other bots!

or to combine with themselves into a bigger buffer version of themselves

i think its cool, he can turn into a big backpack with claw arms. i just know a lot of people get mad about partsformers for some reason

edit: does anyone have any opinions about MP-scale astrotrains or octanes?

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 3, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

i think my next third party purchase is gonna be the garatron thunderstorm, aka thunderwing, to complete the triad of cool IDW guys (bludgeon, overlord, and thunderwing)

Is awesome bot, can confirm.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

One of us!

I think the reason that the Rainmakers (who are sold out online and near me) don't look that great is because they don't seem to have the scuff paint applied.

Some of the figures like Slamdance and Prowl (and the Seekers, I guess) look out of place because they're too clean.

They actually do have a pretty good amount of scuff paint applied when you see them in person, but it's just not enough to break up their big monoform blocks of neon colors. I wouldn't mind if they used some kind of dark color to break it up, but they look like someone just hit them with the MSpaint fill tool.

Is there any reason I can preorder Siege Impactor and Mirage off Amazon, but Siege Barricade doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on the site, or on Hasbro Pulse? Is there any rhyme or reason or have I been cast by the whims of fickle and laughing gods?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

How did you dye it red?
Hot water, Rit dye, and quite a bit of acetone. I plan to make a thread on it on TFW's customs forums to document the process, mostly so I have something to remind myself what I did in case I ever want to dye something again, I'll link it here when I do.

edit: does anyone have any opinions about MP-scale astrotrains or octanes?
This is a minority opinion, but I like Toyworld's. It's not quite Masterpiece aesthetic, the plastic's a little too matte and it looks more like a big Classics figure, but to me it has by far the best shuttle and train modes. The other Masterpiece Astrotrains have the vehicles too stylized or incorporate flaws of the G1 toys for ~*toon accuracy*~ for me, though I admit their robot modes do look better. Also the Toyworld figure came out years ago, so it's probably going to be have to a eBay secondhand purchase.

You likely want the "C" comic-accurate version of the figure, the earlier versions have really ugly heads.
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/24552

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh no, they're posting pictures of the Generations Select Nautilator and Seawing.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Dawgstar posted:

Oh no, they're posting pictures of the Generations Select Nautilator and Seawing.

RIP wallets

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Triple-Kan posted:

They actually do have a pretty good amount of scuff paint applied when you see them in person, but it's just not enough to break up their big monoform blocks of neon colors. I wouldn't mind if they used some kind of dark color to break it up, but they look like someone just hit them with the MSpaint fill tool.

Is there any reason I can preorder Siege Impactor and Mirage off Amazon, but Siege Barricade doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on the site, or on Hasbro Pulse? Is there any rhyme or reason or have I been cast by the whims of fickle and laughing gods?

I dont think Barricade has gone up for preorder anywhere yet.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really like that they're more modular, but that's kinda getting into a play gimmick that Transformers isn't usually about. Starts becoming something like Xevoz, which I also like, but dang, pegs are not enough to hold all these big complex things together, especially since there are issues with holes being too loose or too tight.

I got Brunt and Cog the other day, and they're real good.

Not really fully interchangeable either, although I'm willing to deal with this since it means these guys are way more varied than the Combiner Wars figures that wound up sacrificing a lot for interchangeability.

I have issues with Cog's butt too. I wish it had some kind of paint app to make it look more like an independent vehicle when not attached, especially since its tab is a pretty weak connection to drag it along by, and the "cab" looks better as a little independent buggy anyways. I can't figure what the handle is for either, can't make this butt look much like a gun.

Yeah booyyyyy pew pew pew blam vroom

Also all those diaclone things made me remember these guys I had as a kid. I think I got them at like a gift shop once and never saw the likes of them anywhere else. They have their own kind of modular junk going on. There's just this kinda SL logo on the bottom that I can't get a good picture of.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I dont think Barricade has gone up for preorder anywhere yet.

Sorry, I don't mean to spam a bunch of a dumb questions, but: is there any kind of timeline towards when figures of the same "wave" come out or, or are we left wondering when a figure releases or goes up for preorder up until it actually appears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Knormal posted:

Hot water, Rit dye, and quite a bit of acetone. I plan to make a thread on it on TFW's customs forums to document the process, mostly so I have something to remind myself what I did in case I ever want to dye something again, I'll link it here when I do.

This is a minority opinion, but I like Toyworld's. It's not quite Masterpiece aesthetic, the plastic's a little too matte and it looks more like a big Classics figure, but to me it has by far the best shuttle and train modes. The other Masterpiece Astrotrains have the vehicles too stylized or incorporate flaws of the G1 toys for ~*toon accuracy*~ for me, though I admit their robot modes do look better. Also the Toyworld figure came out years ago, so it's probably going to be have to a eBay secondhand purchase.

You likely want the "C" comic-accurate version of the figure, the earlier versions have really ugly heads.
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/24552

hmm that one does look really nice, I like the amount of detailing on the robot mode, and it has the cleanest jet/train modes i've seen on any of these. I was looking at one called Chigurh or something, but it had a really lovely looking hip setup. how tall is this one?

Rhyno posted:

Is awesome bot, can confirm.

that's good to hear, i gotta wait a lil bit cause i've spent too much the past couple of weeks. IDW did the impossible deed of making pretenders actually cool (bludgeon had been cool prior but pretenders as a whole sucked).