Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

'Look at how mad it made the progressives!' is a major selling point for those tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i love that "y u mad tho" has become an actual platform

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Powershift posted:

holy loving poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRD3vrSLPaw

I didn't even know they were canadian.

Would have been better if they kept the harmonies throughout.

The Stan Rogers/folk loving part of me loved the beginning and groaned at the 2:05 mark or so since their voices were so good.

The hard rock/metal/punk part of me got used to the last part.

Which is all to say, thanks for sharing this.

EDIT: Why does all power metal now sound like a computer AI trying to craft the perfect song from a video-game obsessed 14 year old's mind. Was it always this way? Am I getting old? *wrist snaps*

CrcleSqreSanchz has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Sep 3, 2019

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

edit:

Powershift posted:

holy loving poo poo

Would have been better if they kept the harmonies throughout.

Why am I crying?

Papa Was A Video Toaster has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Sep 3, 2019

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

The Stan Rogers/folk loving part of me loved the beginning and groaned at the 2:05 mark or so since their voices were so good.

The hard rock/metal/punk part of me got used to the last part.

Which is all to say, thanks for sharing this.

EDIT: Why does all power metal now sound like a computer AI trying to craft the perfect song from a video-game obsessed 14 year old's mind. Was it always this way? Am I getting old? *wrist snaps*

I satiate my power metal appetite with old-school metal revival-type bands, whatever they currently label the genre

I recommend the following albums:

Enforcer - diamonds
Holy Grail - ride the void
Skull Fist - head of the pack; chasing the dream 🇨🇦 Cancon 🇨🇦
Striker - enter the night 🇨🇦 Cancon 🇨🇦

There's a hard rock revival counterpart which I equally love

Bonus: wife and kids don't mind compared to heavier or proggier music

e: I mean, low production value videos are awesome https://youtu.be/GPh8EWRloTE

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Striker and Enforcer are bad rear end, also check out the best metal album this year New Organon by Slough Feg it whips

CanCon: where is Canadian chapo/cum town?

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

I'll check it out. I like some of their stuff.

I've been disappointed by a number of albums this year, especially from Astronoid and Soilwork. But I like the new Baroness and I've been playing the new Tool for a week now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My driving tunes include a lot of Deafheaven, very loud.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Powershift posted:

holy loving poo poo

Who else would do a Stan Rogers cover though?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I satiate my power metal appetite with old-school metal revival-type bands, whatever they currently label the genre

There's a plenty of power metal revival mixed into this scene too, I see Eternal Champion suggested all the time when people ask this but they really do rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZRi_9HwMbE

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Man it is so weird to see these types of statements in proper French.

"Say NO to the brainwashing of our children with alarmist climate PROPAGANDA"

Pretty sure it's fake.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah the bottom text is out of line with the billboard border

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dreylad posted:

yeah the bottom text is out of line with the billboard border

So is the top text. :v:

"Dites NON aux manipulations d'images PROPAGANDES pourries"

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

The French translation is off too

"Dites non à la propagande climatique alarmiste qui lave les cerveaux de nos enfants"

Dear PPC: my rates are competitive

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

A guy I play Magic with is the shithead in charge for PPC in Kootenay-Columbia, I'll get you his card.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Why do the french get a way better ndp ad?

https://twitter.com/NDP/status/1168871304545611776

https://twitter.com/NPD_QG/status/1168909469419528197

Oh wait, "Like you, my identity is my pride"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The link in the french tweet doesnt work.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Why is the sound more hosed up in the English one? I mean they're both jacked up, but the English one is sounds like it was transcoded about a thousand times.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
saw a guy in a big jacked up truck on the number 1 highway between winnipeg and brandon yesterday with a ppc sticker on the back. he was a skinny dude with lovely glasses that definitely looked like he would talk someones ear off about the overreach of feminism in canada

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I was going to ask which direction he was going but it wouldn't matter. The further the suburb is away from the city center, the more likely it is to support the PPC. These are the same people poo poo-scared of meth heads but refusing to vote for anyone who'd fund treatment centers.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:cheeky:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:26 on Jun 20, 2021

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I think it's a problem with Manitoba as a whole, and it's the comparatively high(er) income tax rates coupled with a latent racism and the perception that too many of those people get handouts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Henry Makow, author of A Long Way to go for a Date is from Winnipeg, too. What is it about the city that breeds a higher than average population of chudliness

Doesn’t Davis Aurini live out there too? Or is that Alberta?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Why do the french get a way better ndp ad?
because that's tradition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbSBqc-X5Y0

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I was going to ask which direction he was going but it wouldn't matter. The further the suburb is away from the city center, the more likely it is to support the PPC. These are the same people poo poo-scared of meth heads but refusing to vote for anyone who'd fund treatment centers.

he had sask plates and was heading home i think, i was trying to find out if the peepeecee had anything going on in winnipeg this weekend

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/70iqorless/status/1169073792204845058?s=21

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Arivia posted:

Doesn’t Davis Aurini live out there too? Or is that Alberta?

I think he lives in Calgary, Alberta.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

im_sorry posted:

I think he lives in Calgary, Alberta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5tlGJwvmCQ&t=170s

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Reality Sinner posted:

The link in the french tweet doesnt work.

It’s not meant to be a link. They wrote out shorthand to cover both male and female Quebecers (like writing (s)he) and that happened to end in .es like the Spanish TLD so Twitter interpreted it as a URL.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

“Raising taxes is not the answer. Alberta has a spending problem and the government needs to act quickly and decisively to reduce its spending,” MacKinnon told reporters at a news conference Tuesday.

“The province needs to go beyond merely cutting spending to transform the way services and programs are delivered.”

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
"Alberta is providing too many public services and needs to find an efficient way to funnel money directly into the hands of capital"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i wonder what level of spending it would take to not have conservative politicians characterize any government as having a spending problem

like, would employing one police officer and doing nothing else do it? or would they then complain the government has a spending problem because its one employee is overpaid

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The provincial conservatives have more coroplast garbage signs up in Brandon than all other parties combined.

"FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY"

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

i wonder what level of spending it would take to not have conservative politicians characterize any government as having a spending problem

like, would employing one police officer and doing nothing else do it? or would they then complain the government has a spending problem because its one employee is overpaid

At least one based person at CPP would keep their job

https://twitter.com/Ethical_Screen/status/1169184722301444096

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/opinion-mackinnon-report-cuts-1.5269337

quote:

MacKinnon says the government just can't freeze spending at the current $48 billion a year but has to cut spending by $600-million if it wants any hope of balancing the budget by 2022-23.

Among her report's recommendations: make greater use of private clinics to deliver health services; renegotiate fees paid to doctors and, if need be, use the hammer of legislation to bring doctors in line; end the tuition freeze on post-secondary students; assess the future of post-secondary institutions that "do not appear to be viable"; and use legislation to set wage levels in the public sector.

RIP albertans who want education or healthcare

quote:

The result is a report that talks a lot about the Alberta government's high per capita spending compared with the governments of British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec.

The report is silent on how Alberta taxes are much lower than any other province. Alberta could more easily balance its budget, without the shock of massive cuts, through a combination of moderately reduced spending and moderately increased taxation. But that's not what Kenney wants.

can't tax the oil, better privatize healthcare

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
comparisons to Ontario are also particularly egregious because Ontario spends and raises the least money per capita of any province, so that's basically them saying "we wish we were as cheap as the cheapest people in the country"

(figures from 2017, taken from here)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also pretty telling that AB has the second lowest revenue and the second highest spending

can't raise the revenue though!!!!!!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

also pretty telling that AB has the second lowest revenue and the second highest spending

can't raise the revenue though!!!!!!

She was specifically tasked with finding out how to balance the budget without raising taxes.

Shocking that the conclusion was to cut expenses.

I'm sure the public healthcare system with a 4 decade long wage freeze will have no problem competing for doctors with a private system

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
this is surely revealing my ignorance, but what is the point of ordering up such a report? you say these two numbers need to meet, then you mandate one of the numbers can’t change, so the result is foregone. I can’t imagine anyone who voted for you caring about the indirection, and I can’t imagine anyone who voted against you being fooled for even a moment. is it to funnel some friends three months' salary? is it to contract out the actual act of governing so you can get back to ignoring town halls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pokeyman posted:

this is surely revealing my ignorance, but what is the point of ordering up such a report? you say these two numbers need to meet, then you mandate one of the numbers can’t change, so the result is foregone. I can’t imagine anyone who voted for you caring about the indirection, and I can’t imagine anyone who voted against you being fooled for even a moment. is it to funnel some friends three months' salary? is it to contract out the actual act of governing so you can get back to ignoring town halls?

Facts don't care about your feelings, therefore to make reality match your feelings, you have to create compatible facts.