Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/6INNER/status/1168642796489756673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

and it’s not like a flood in Nebraska or something where the water is just kinda sitting there. that’s an expansive raging ocean full of currents and waves that will absolutely kill your rear end, banging on your door. on the second floor.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

angerbeet posted:

Oh cool I was on an island today and missed this

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1168664114677407745

Piss prez all butthurt about being called out by the NHC whatever

We're all going to die

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

soy posted:

and it’s not like a flood in Nebraska or something where the water is just kinda sitting there. that’s an expansive raging ocean full of currents and waves that will absolutely kill your rear end, banging on your door. on the second floor.

to be fair when the waters that high in Nebraska it's usually moving 30 miles per hour and full of debris

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

while I, in principle, agree, Puerto Rico's shows that these cat 5 storms have the potential for catastrophic loss of life. we'll see how the Bahamas fair, but it could be very bad. but a Florida landfall is less everyone dieing and more everyone being turbo hosed.

generally the immediate death toll from a traditional Mother Earth disaster is low

what fucks people is usually the period of time immediately after the disaster, when all of our modern infrastructure has been compromised. most shelter has been destroyed, power is out, fresh preserved food and uncontaminated running water are no longer available, communication and transportation networks have largely broken down, medical facilities are damaged and overwhelmed, and so on

the flooding and wind don't usually kill that many people with modern building codes and weather forecasting. but in the aftermath of the storm, the necessities of life are often in short supply, which can kill a lot of people if aid doesn't arrive quickly

for example, maybe a tree limb fell on you or something. you're not dead, but your arm's broken in a real nasty way. time to go to the hospital? good fuckin luck with that
https://mobile.twitter.com/SincerelyReal1/status/1168664411210420229
https://mobile.twitter.com/gwancool/status/1168617934220124160
https://mobile.twitter.com/CAffairsTCI/status/1168644155230294017

where are they evacuating the hospital to? dunno, but it's not gonna involve any fuckin planes
https://mobile.twitter.com/kionnemcghee/status/1168540276949954560

needless to say, it's gonna be a while before anyone injured in the storm gets medical attention. hopefully no one gets infections or other entirely preventable consequences while they're waiting for replacement medical and transportation infrastructure!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

This is all extremely grim.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Negrostrike posted:

This is all extremely grim.

i am pleasantly surprised by the stark reduction in "lol" and "I hope the storm strengthens for my personal giggles" posts since Dorian started annihilating the northern Bahamas

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
dorian killed some folks

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
When Sandy hit New York there were quite a few people on the coast who ended up drowning in their attics. Some of the houses were even ripped from their foundations and carried out to sea entirely, with people trapped inside. Sandy had devolved into a Cat 1 by the time it hit the Bahamas, and even devolved further into a tropical storm, before restrengthening to a Cat 1 before it hit NJ/NY

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The ocean just loving rose up and ate the god damned island, christ.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
where is the airport in that last video?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this is a sobering reminder that the rich and powerful are going to just run away in a mad panic and take none of us with them

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i am pleasantly surprised by the stark reduction in "lol" and "I hope the storm strengthens for my personal giggles" posts since Dorian started annihilating the northern Bahamas

i still hope it wipes out maralago, but yea i know what you mean

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
This is an unusual move.

https://twitter.com/WAFB/status/1168675451734306816?s=20

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Chuka Umana posted:

under the water

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Chuka Umana posted:

i circled it in that image that was posted a few pages back.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Is the US planning to send in USNS Mercy or anything like that?

twoday
May 4, 2005

How are u posted:

The ocean just loving rose up and ate the god damned island, christ.

Did you know that the peoples who lived in the Mississippi river delta and along the gulf coast and in Florida and in the Caribbean who had inhabited the region for thousands of years built massive mounds which could provide shelter in times of extreme flooding?

It's a pretty neat fact, anyway, most of these mounds have been bulldozed and replaced with sea-level houses and strip malls because ancient shell mounds block the view of the beach and aren't considered to be a proper foundation for modern buildings, so let's see how that works out

twoday has issued a correction as of 02:32 on Sep 3, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
well im sure they're growing salt-resistant crops and fishing from ever more bountiful oceans of sustainable or overpopulating varieties of fish and not either cash crops to feed imperialism or working for the rich who decide they'd better off writing that one off to the insurance company

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

a helpful bear posted:

mercy is based out of San Diego, comfort is in Latin America rn so that'd be the ship to send but uh

no

(independent of either of those facts)

also I'm super depressed thinking about that class of ship as the way resources COULD be allocated in our system

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
^^^^
'In mid-2004 Vice Admiral Michael L. Cowan, the Surgeon General and chief of the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, said that the Comfort and Mercy should be retired. "They’re wonderful ships, but they’re dinosaurs. They were designed in the ’70s, built in the ’80s, and frankly, they’re obsolete".[2]

Few, if any, options are presently being explored to replace them with a platform better suited to the mission at this time.'

a helpful bear posted:

USCG's on scene, I've seen a few videos of them landing on Abaco to evacuate people, presumably to Nassau.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think I heard on the news that the coast guard was going to go to the Bahamas when it was safe to try and help.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Gonna attach a bunch of balloons to my house to pull an Up to avoid a hurricane

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

twoday posted:

Did you know that the peoples who lived in the Mississippi river delta and along the gulf coast and in Florida and in the Caribbean who had inhabited the region for thousands of years built massive mounds which could provide shelter in times of extreme flooding?

It's a pretty neat fact, anyway, most of these mounds have been bulldozed and replaced with sea-level houses and strip malls because ancient shell mounds block the view of the beach and aren't considered to be a proper foundation for modern buildings, so let's see how that works out

That would have been a nice time to be alive instead of now.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

this is a sobering reminder that the rich and powerful are going to just run away in a mad panic and take none of us with them

twoday
May 4, 2005

Al! posted:

well im sure they're growing salt-resistant crops and fishing from ever more bountiful oceans of sustainable or overpopulating varieties of fish and not either cash crops to feed imperialism or working for the rich who decide they'd better off writing that one off to the insurance company

not only that, these mounds were made of their waste - they were all made of leftover shells from shellfish they had eaten. Our society also creates landfill heaps, and if there had been some in the Bahamas it could have provided a place for people to escape to, instead of drowning in their homes. That ancient society had an awareness of the dangers posed by the environment in which they lived, as well as the waste they produced, and figured out a way to organize and control these various destructive factors in such a way that it would serve the collective good over the long term. But our society considered these people to be savages and exterminated them, and now, instead of learning anything from their system, we have the one we have now, which ignores both our place in the world and the damage we do to it.

twoday has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Sep 3, 2019

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

twoday posted:

not only that, these mounds were made of their waste - they were all made of leftover shells from shellfish they had eaten. Our society also creates landfill heaps, and if there had been some in the Bahamas it could have provided a place for people to escape to, instead of drowning in their homes. That ancient society had an awareness of the dangers posed by the environment in which they lived, as well as the waste they produced, and figured out a way to organize and control these various destructive factors in such a way that it would serve the collective good over the long term. But our society considered these people to be savages and exterminated them, and now, instead of learning anything from their system, we have the one we have now, which ignores both our place in the world and the damage we do to it.

but aesthetics

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

a helpful bear posted:

Is the US planning

lmfao

twoday
May 4, 2005

We have top men working on it right now.

Top... men.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

twoday posted:

We have top men working on it right now.

Top... men.

truml isn't a man they are a god

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

like the lowest form of deity but still one

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poniard posted:

demigod emperor trump

pray the hurricane away

twoday
May 4, 2005

Poniard posted:

Someone with a wikipedia account please update this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_been_considered_deities

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly the only thing I would have done differently from the last hurricane was to put trash bags inside the house on the windows that didn't have storm shutters. since water kept seeping in and I spent all night mopping. The windows are aluminum jalousie type with iron bars on the outside so its not like they would be damaged by debris and getting shutters on them wouldn't be practical since gently caress getting on a ladder to install them. Higher probability of me killing myself installing them than from the actual storm.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Honestly the only thing I would have done differently from the last hurricane was to put trash bags inside the house on the windows that didn't have storm shutters. since water kept seeping in and I spent all night mopping. The windows are aluminum jalousie type with iron bars on the outside so its not like they would be damaged by debris and getting shutters on them wouldn't be practical since gently caress getting on a ladder to install them. Higher probability of me killing myself installing them than from the actual storm.

have you tried sitting at the exact midpoint of all windows and just channeling a repulsor field? that seems like the easiest way, you are keeping your crystals charged right?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

What are the chances that Cuba is going to score another political coup by sending a massive swarm of doctors over?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

have you tried sitting at the exact midpoint of all windows and just channeling a repulsor field? that seems like the easiest way, you are keeping your crystals charged right?

Dont have a bro, but you are always welcum in my house if you bring your own crystal

Heartcatch posted:

What are the chances that Cuba is going to score another political coup by sending a massive swarm of doctors over?

As if we would let them in

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Why? Do the Bahamas have a problem with Cuba?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Heartcatch posted:

far more likely than more american doctors just volunteering to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Heartcatch posted:

Why? Do the Bahamas have a problem with Cuba?

Oh I thought you were talking about florida