Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unsurprisingly the people most unhappy with the government most want an election :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I wonder what happens if the government loses the "matter-of-confidence vote" but the Commons also refuses to pass an actual FTPA no-conf

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Josef bugman posted:

I think he wants folks to love him. I am not even joking in a twisted way I am sure that Boris is trying desperately to get everyone to love him. But he's finally happened into what he thought he wanted, and it isn't filling the hole inside of him.

I’m 99% sure you are right about this. I believe that a lot of womanisers, which is one of Boris’s most visible flaws, are driven by extreme approval-seeking behaviour. The clownishness works for this too. It doesn’t stop him being a dangerous proto-fascist poo poo but it maybe does explain why he developed that way instead of, say, taking his privilege and becoming Tony Benn Mk.2

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I had dinner tonight with a family friend who described herself as a “natural Tory” but is intending to vote Labour in any election because of Brexit. So it’s working for one person at least.

Oh and I finished watching the Dark Crystal series on Netflix earlier, and recommend it to everyone in this thread. Firstly because it’s generally and genuinely fantastic, but also because it’s an incredibly unsubtle Marxist allegory appropriate for children.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If someone described themselves as a "natural tory" to me I would interpret that as saying they're a paedophile tbh.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So are you guys going to another general election or what

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

The Virgin Sun Tzu and the Chad von Clausewitz.

The Virgin von Clausewitz and the Chad Sun Tzu t:mad:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
What time is this no no deal parliamentary shindig going down today?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Jezza is hosting an opposition leaders meeting first thing so I'd be guessing about dinner time but who even the gently caress knows.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Ms Adequate posted:

The Virgin von Clausewitz and the Chad Sun Tzu t:mad:

The only time I've seen someone reference Sun Tzu in a way that demonstrated they'd actually understood the Art of War was in the parody version in Jingo.

It totally is worth reading, as long as you recognize the commentaries are the fun part.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 3, 2019

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Feinne posted:

The only time I've seen someone reference Sun Tzu in a way that demonstrated they'd actually understood the Art of War was in the parody version in Jingo.

It totally is worth reading, as long as you recognize the commentaries are the fun part.

Interesting thing about working for a Chinese company: about 90% of the inspirational quotes our leadership uses are either Sun Tzu or Mao.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The problem with Sun Tzu is that people take it and, well, try to apply it to business and other fields. Like basically every other thinker, philosopher, or leader in history what he said has been misused and misquoted far more than it has been used accurately, but when you get to the work itself it turns out... Sun Tzu's famous for a reason!

The standard thinking on my Strategic Studies MA was that von Clausewitz was the superior of the two (Though very few people had anyone else in their top two it should be noted), but I honestly think Big Sun the better. It's not that he necessarily said more that was insightful or useful, but that almost everything he says in The Art of War is of use, whilst von Clausewitz said an immense amount that was extremely good, and also quite a lot that was extremely centered in time and place or fell into minutiae.

Not as bad as Machiavelli's The Art of War though, back then such manuals were almost entirely about minutiae like how your baggage train should be decorated and the precise distances your men should be apart from each other while marching. Not useless, as such, but not exactly enduring, nor the kind of thing generals and kings should need to worry much about.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Ms Adequate posted:

The problem with Sun Tzu is that people take it and, well, try to apply it to business and other fields. Like basically every other thinker, philosopher, or leader in history what he said has been misused and misquoted far more than it has been used accurately, but when you get to the work itself it turns out... Sun Tzu's famous for a reason!

The standard thinking on my Strategic Studies MA was that von Clausewitz was the superior of the two (Though very few people had anyone else in their top two it should be noted), but I honestly think Big Sun the better. It's not that he necessarily said more that was insightful or useful, but that almost everything he says in The Art of War is of use, whilst von Clausewitz said an immense amount that was extremely good, and also quite a lot that was extremely centered in time and place or fell into minutiae.

Not as bad as Machiavelli's The Art of War though, back then such manuals were almost entirely about minutiae like how your baggage train should be decorated and the precise distances your men should be apart from each other while marching. Not useless, as such, but not exactly enduring, nor the kind of thing generals and kings should need to worry much about.

It's interesting because the generals in the commentaries, while they'll often add in a bit more specifics, seem to track him as far as not bogging down in minutiae. Instead you get things like throwing shade on a fellow general who treated his officers like a supervillain treats henchmen.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYG6Bw29o7U

This BBC Music is a loving gaff they're playing the amityville horror fuckin theme song lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Going to sleep now, excited to see what madness tomorrow brings

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah, someone with true taste in waking hours :v:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ms Adequate posted:

Going to sleep now, excited to see what madness tomorrow brings

it'll be the same
it's always the same

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

it'll be the same
it's always the same

stronk and sable

Why is every dictator 5'2? Johnson, Napoleon, I mean really

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 3, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1168772193729355778?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Oh and I finished watching the Dark Crystal series on Netflix earlier, and recommend it to everyone in this thread. Firstly because it’s generally and genuinely fantastic, but also because it’s an incredibly unsubtle Marxist allegory appropriate for children.

I watched the first episode and it was more boring than the Silmarillion

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Justine Greening giving up on bring a Tory MP, announced on Radio 4 she won't be standing at any next election

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Boris's threat of not being an mp doesn't work on Tories who already have a director's job waiting for them. Who would have thought?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The smart ones will be frantically ditching the party for a consultant job yeah. Even if he wins the party's gonna be loving toxic to business for decades.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Current joint lead is Labour and BXP at 33% each. I don't think this is going the way he thought it would.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Grieve just said he expects Corbyn to get the numbers to pass a GE vote, but he himself would probably abstain

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Josef bugman posted:

Why are all these people in charge so utterly and completely poo poo at it?
They’re not poo poo at it; from their point of view they’re extremely good at it. The people in charge are extremely good at lying and buying their way into positions of power and failing upwards until they graduate from a senior role into the Lords or a cushy speaking gig.

The problem is that what the democratic system incentivises and selects for (the best manipulator) is not what most people actually want (the best leader). It’s a real-world version of that computer program that’s supposed to evolve a mechanism for walking across a virtual room but instead discovers how to break the simulation to get the maximum score. It probably can’t be fixed unless we adjust the incentives so that politics is an underpaid, thankless, and uncelebrated profession, so it only attracts people who actually want to make positive changes in the world.

E: gently caress me what crack eyed moron coded this twitter embedding thing so it only happens in the middle of a paragraph of text you godforsaken wasteman

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/974131257683537920

TACD fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 3, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm a Tory MP AMA

(not that)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

It probably can’t be fixed unless we adjust the incentives so that politics is an underpaid, thankless, and uncelebrated profession, so it only attracts people who actually want to make positive changes in the world.

This may be the stupidest thing any human being has ever said. You know what else is an underpaid, thankless and uncelebrated job? Internships. You know who takes internships? Rich people who can afford to work for free. And can you perhaps guess how rich people who don't need the money vote? I'll give you a clue: they're every loving one of them a Tory.

Your sterling plan would ensure that nobody who isn't a right wing shithead could afford to be an MP.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I said it before and I'll say it again: replace government with a computer. Even Samaritan would be better than what we have now.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Besides, the money in government comes from the power it provides, and someone will always hold that power - just the best method to decide who it so far is elected representatives. Power corrupts, or at least attracts the corrupt - same difference.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Jedit posted:

This may be the stupidest thing any human being has ever said. You know what else is an underpaid, thankless and uncelebrated job? Internships. You know who takes internships? Rich people who can afford to work for free. And can you perhaps guess how rich people who don't need the money vote? I'll give you a clue: they're every loving one of them a Tory.

Your sterling plan would ensure that nobody who isn't a right wing shithead could afford to be an MP.

Beat me to it (though I don’t think it’s a stupid assumption, just not a thought-through one). There’s a reason every successful anti-corruption drive in history has involved raising government salaries.

Basically, don’t give people power and then make them dependent on abusing that power to have nice things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TACD posted:

They’re not poo poo at it; from their point of view they’re extremely good at it. The people in charge are extremely good at lying and buying their way into positions of power and failing upwards until they graduate from a senior role into the Lords or a cushy speaking gig.

The problem is that what the democratic system incentivises and selects for (the best manipulator) is not what most people actually want (the best leader). It’s a real-world version of that computer program that’s supposed to evolve a mechanism for walking across a virtual room but instead discovers how to break the simulation to get the maximum score[/url]. It probably can’t be fixed unless we adjust the incentives so that politics is an underpaid, thankless, and uncelebrated profession, so it only attracts people who actually want to make positive changes in the world.

I think it is also something to do with the way many people think they want a strong leader. In actuality I think we need to accept that we can do more as a collective rather than just individuals. Also if you made politicians underpaid, thankless and uncelebrated you'd end up with actual rulership being taken over by another group much as we see in the USA.

OwlFancier posted:

When the golden boy goes away you're left with their dregs who only existed to prop up the big clever candidate, and then they all roll around in the poo poo trying to figure out who should be the best big clever candidate. Only none of them are because they weren't picked for being brilliant they were picked to do as they were told.

That does seem worryingly prescient, and I think also helps to illustrate why Neo-Liberal economic systems are starting to come apart. With greater access to peoples internal thoughts via things like twitter it is becoming increasingly obvious that there is no consistent intellectual power justifying people in charge being there. It's seeing the wizard without the curtain as it were.

BalloonFish posted:

They were formed and nurtured by the initial wave which dismantled the post-war consensus. Speaking purely in terms of effectiveness (not support!) the Thatcherites had to form their ideas, propose a solution to the problems in the country, become the ideological centre of the Conservative party, win an election and then radically overhaul society into the form they wished. They had to work towards something and achieve it.

Now it's all unraveling from all sorts of different directions and the party is stuffed full of people who had no part in writing the script but have just parroted the lines for 25+ years. Suddenly they're being forced to improvise and they're flailing. No one who is at the top got there by gritting it out or holding their beliefs against the consensus. They haven't had to work or fight for anything. They've never been really challenged, except by other neoliberals on the same career path.

That does seem worryingly accurate. Do you think any system can prevent this sort of ideological decay?

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m 99% sure you are right about this. I believe that a lot of womanisers, which is one of Boris’s most visible flaws, are driven by extreme approval-seeking behaviour. The clownishness works for this too. It doesn’t stop him being a dangerous proto-fascist poo poo but it maybe does explain why he developed that way instead of, say, taking his privilege and becoming Tony Benn Mk.2

Mhm. Never having to do anything other than people please whilst also demanding pleasure from every single interaction. Boris is never going to be as powerful as he believes and is going to be manipulated by anyone who turns on the happiness spigot in his brain.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

AceOfFlames posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again: replace government with a computer. Even Samaritan would be better than what we have now.

Ah, an opportunity to bring back one of my favourite UKMT memes.

DWP HAS FOUND YOU
DWP HAS FOUND YOU
DWP HAS FOUND YOU
DWP HAS FOUND YOU
DWP HAS FOUND YOU
RUN WHILE YOU CAN
RUN WHILE YOU CAN
RUN WHILE YOU CAN
RUN WHILE YOU CAN
RUN WHILE YOU CAN

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
MPs didn't used to get paid and just like amateur sport it was filled with toffs

crushing toffs and private property seems like a better plan

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

AceOfFlames posted:

*computer finds exploit where good governance is best achieved through stabbing*

Oh no! AceOfFlames' greatest fear!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MP pay should scale depending on your existing wealth and incomes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

Beat me to it (though I don’t think it’s a stupid assumption, just not a thought-through one). There’s a reason every successful anti-corruption drive in history has involved raising government salaries.

Basically, don’t give people power and then make them dependent on abusing that power to have nice things.
You could have them well paid but still thankless and ridiculed. Like they have to dress as clowns and are regarded as laughable by most of the country. Upside is you'd never get your Blairs or Coopers going for that kind of thing.

Downside:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Ms Adequate posted:

Ah, an opportunity to bring back one of my favourite UKMT memes.

DWP HAS FOUND YOU
DWP HAS FOUND YOU
DWP HAS FOUND YOU
DWP HAS FOUND YOU
DWP HAS FOUND YOU
RUN WHILE YOU CAN
RUN WHILE YOU CAN
RUN WHILE YOU CAN
RUN WHILE YOU CAN
RUN WHILE YOU CAN

[from behind desk] Can walk unaided for 100 metres ✔

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Being a legislator should be like being in the army: there should be a chance you'll die at any given moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

quote:

Hammond vows 'fight of a lifetime' if deselected

Today Programme

BBC Radio 4

Philip Hammond has said he was readopted as the Conservative candidate for his constituency last night, despite the PM warning Tory MPs who rebelled against the government that they would be deselected.

Mr Hammond said he does not believe the government would have the power to stop him from running as a Conservative candidate for Runnymede and Weybridge.

"There would certainly be the fight of a lifetime if they tried to," he added.

He said the issue could "possibly" become a legal battle.

"This is my party. I have been a member of this party for 45 years. I am going to defend my party against incomers, entryists, who are trying to turn it from a broad church into a narrow faction."

Yesss, do it.

"You are deselected."
"My consituants say otherwise."