Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

goethe.cx posted:

Warren's really shooting herself in the foot with her wishy-washiness on health care. If she laid out a specific medicare-for-all plan she'd be able to peel off a bunch of Bernie's support
Warren painted herself into a corner here. If she backs a specific non-Sanders plan she has to explain both A) Why she cosponsored Sanders' plan in the first place, and B) Why her plan is different, which is either going to involve lies or technical details no one really cares about. Additionally, running as "Sanders, but a slightly younger 7 decade old person" is going to upset all kinds of people, including in the donor class and people who are trying to not vote for Sanders. I think being wishy-washy here is her best strategic choice, though obviously "Having a consistent set of ethics you champion in public" would have been a better choice.

twodot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

Warren painted herself into a corner here. If she backs a specific non-Sanders plan she has to explain both A) Why she cosponsored Sanders' plan in the first place, and B) Why her plan is different, which is either going to involve lies or technical details no one really cares about. Additionally, running as "Sanders, but a slightly younger 7 decade old person" is going to upset all kinds of people, including in the donor class and people who are trying to not vote for Sanders. I think being wishy-washy here is her best strategic choice, though obviously "Having a consistent set of ethics you champion in public" would have been a better choice.

Using the term “access” was a stupid mistake. Everyone knows what it’s code for.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jealous Cow posted:

Using the term “access” was a stupid mistake. Everyone knows what it’s code for.

everyone? I don't think so. That's the entire point of saying 'access' in the first place.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a very intentional move to distinguish her from Sanders because both her donors and her supporters need her to not be Sanders. It turns out not being Sanders also generally means you are saying you want bad things out loud in public, but in terms of electoral strategy, I don't think she has much choice beyond hiring a faerie queen to murder Sanders and turn her into his doppelganger.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

goethe.cx posted:

Warren's really shooting herself in the foot with her wishy-washiness on health care. If she laid out a specific medicare-for-all plan she'd be able to peel off a bunch of Bernie's support

I really wish people would stop using this sort of language ("a specific medicare-for-all plan"), though I don't blame them for getting the wrong impression that "medicare for all" is a slogan instead of a reference specifically to Bernie's bill. The strategy to conflate the term "medicare for all" with things other than Bernie's bill has sadly been pretty successful.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"preferred" has jumped way up there with "access" for words that trigger instinctual revulsion in me

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sanders has openly cursed middle-ground thinking on healthcare. There is no compromise, the medical industry barons must be annihilated.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

twodot posted:

why do you think she's running, is it because she's a power hungry or because she wants to 'centrist-lize" the progressive movement?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Typo posted:

why do you think she's running, is it because she's a power hungry or because she wants to 'centrist-lize" the progressive movement?
Being that I am not literally Elizabeth Warren, I don't know. If you think this is an interesting conversation to have, perhaps you can look up some quotes from her about why she's running now (and didn't run, and did endorse Clinton in 2016) and we can then compare those quotes against her past actions?
edit:
Is she merely power hungry? Is she actively malicious and attempting to coopt the progressive movement? Why was she a literal Republican well into her 40s? I don't know these answers. If you know the answers you should share them.

twodot fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 3, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nonsense posted:

Sanders has openly cursed middle-ground thinking on healthcare. There is no compromise, the medical industry barons must be annihilated.

https://i.imgur.com/72HUTEg.gifv

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Can somebody please explain what middle ground thinking is when it comes to healthcare?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

a.lo posted:

Can somebody please explain what middle ground thinking is when it comes to healthcare?
It goes from "Everyone gets health care" to "People should be shackled into forever debt for receiving health care" to "People should just die in the streets"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://twitter.com/citizensmediatv/status/1168513713466433536?s=20

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

a.lo posted:

Give a public option, think that the insurance companies won't gently caress you up over it, think that GOP majorities are not going to litigate, defund and make your option as painful as possible to then get to say "you see, it doesn't work!".

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

a.lo posted:

Currently the ACA with a public option is considered the middle ground. But to see the danger in that, think of another service that has a public option, education. If the GOP ever get any majority anywhere in government, they'll do to it what they've done to public schools. They'll defund it, criticize it, and neuter it to make private plans look like the sensible option. Then, after everything they've done, they'll point to the public option as a grand failure and an example of what happens when big government gets involved. "It screws up everything it touches! Only private enterprise can provide the efficiencies that government can't do!" They will say it without a hint of irony.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I really wish people would stop using this sort of language ("a specific medicare-for-all plan"), though I don't blame them for getting the wrong impression that "medicare for all" is a slogan instead of a reference specifically to Bernie's bill. The strategy to conflate the term "medicare for all" with things other than Bernie's bill has sadly been pretty successful.

I was using imprecise language but what I meant was “a single payer healthcare plan that eliminates private insurance like she said during the debates.” I haven’t seen Medicare for all conflated with anything else, candidates who want to keep private insurance all call it something else

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

goethe.cx posted:

I was using imprecise language but what I meant was “a single payer healthcare plan that eliminates private insurance like she said during the debates.” I haven’t seen Medicare for all conflated with anything else, candidates who want to keep private insurance all call it something else

Other candidates (including Warren, actually) have used language treating MfA as some sort of synonym for "universal healthcare," which basically muddies the waters such that you can define things that aren't actually single-payer systems as "Medicare for All" (plus takes "ownership" of the term away from Sanders and his bill).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

a.lo posted:

To my mind it's a solution that allows the insurance companies to keep on existing and being the main way in which health care is funded, allowing them to keep on leeching money from health care. Thus keeping the american system as number one in the world (for inefficiency).

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
gently caress insurance companies. They are leeches on the American people, thriving on the fear of pain and death. Hang every executive from a loving lamppost so that no one tries to monetize suffering ever again.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1168849897447219200

And they said Clinton was acting as if she deserved it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1168849897447219200

And they said Clinton was acting as if she deserved it.

Yet another one for the "Who Said It - Trump or Biden" game. Man I can't wait for him to gently caress off forever

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’m actually a Biden voter and supporter but on Election Day I might fill in the circle next to Bernie Sanders. But ya know details aren’t really important when it comes to decision making.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mahoning posted:

I’m actually a Biden voter and supporter but on Election Day I might fill in the circle next to Bernie Sanders. But ya know details aren’t really important when it comes to decision making.

Joe Biden is the Hello Games of politics.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Office Pig posted:

Access.
https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1168312265369628672
Is there anyone still craven enough to pretend this isn't inevitably reverting into schlock about 'protecting the ACA'?

M4A is a "healthcare access" policy.

poo poo, maybe I'm not paying the kind of attention to this that some folks ITT are, but I don't see M4A as a healthcare system "improvement", I see it as the key for which everyone gets to utilize the system we've got, and scrapping private insurance as a necessary thing.

Why wouldn't that be "access to healthcare?" What am I missing?

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 3, 2019

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Unoriginal Name posted:

gently caress insurance companies. They are leeches on the American people, thriving on the fear of pain and death. Hang every executive from a loving lamppost so that no one tries to monetize suffering ever again.

The best way to deal with vampires is a stake through the heart.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Beto realizing six months too late that it's better to be an authentic human being instead of a focus-grouped homunculus riding a skateboard and surfing countertops to appeal to the kids.

kidkissinger posted:

Honestly I get the feeling his current material was also focus grouped

lol you were right. Never give any Dem the benefit of the doubt.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1168586655546183681?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chilichimp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y7nchytFSQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Yikes

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Do people really think that Elizabeth Warren and Ted Cruz are speaking the same language on healthcare?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Do people really think that Elizabeth Warren and Ted Cruz are speaking the same language on healthcare?

I think that if your vision of the future of healthcare in America isn't single-payer healthcare, the differences are so minor that they don't matter.

So to answer your question, yes. Until proven otherwise (since Elizabeth Warren has no healthcare plan she is advocating for), she is trying to perpetuate the current system just like Ted Cruz.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

poo poo, maybe I'm not paying the kind of attention to this that some folks ITT are, but I don't see M4A as a healthcare system "improvement", I see it as the key for which everyone gets to utilize the system we've got, and scrapping private insurance as a necessary thing.

Why wouldn't that be "access to healthcare?" What am I missing?

"Access" is an ambiguous term that can mean whatever someone wants it to mean.

I have "access" to a Porsche, there are Porsche dealers in my city, I could go test drive a Porsche, I could rent a Porsche, with sufficiently long term financing I could own a Porsche (with a 30-year mortgage on it lol). Everyone in my town has "access" to a Porsche but they aren't all gonna actually get one in reality.

I also have "access" to the public school system, I can send my kid there anytime, for free, and so can everyone else, and they all do it unless they affirmatively decide to refuse or make other arrangements.

So if a politician says they support everyone having "access" to healthcare for is that "access" like primary schools or "access" like public universities or "access" like Porsches?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

"Access" is an ambiguous term that can mean whatever someone wants it to mean.

I have "access" to a Porsche, there are Porsche dealers in my city, I could go test drive a Porsche, I could rent a Porsche, with sufficiently long term financing I could own a Porsche (with a 30-year mortgage on it lol). Everyone in my town has "access" to a Porsche but they aren't all gonna actually get one in reality.

I also have "access" to the public school system, I can send my kid there anytime, for free, and so can everyone else, and they all do it unless they affirmatively decide to refuse or make other arrangements.

So if a politician says they support everyone having "access" to healthcare for is that "access" like primary schools or "access" like public universities or "access" like Porsches?

Yeah. The question with "access to healthcare" language is that giving someone "access to" [x], rather than simply giving them [X], implies that there is some additional requirement they have to fulfill first.

E.g., if I live in an apartment complex, I might have "access to" the shared pool. But maybe only during specific hours, or maybe I have to pay a fee, or maybe I have to reserve it first, etc. If my apartment has its own pool, I can just use my pool.

If one person says they're giving me paid free healthcare, and the other person says they're giving me "access to healthcare," the words "paid" and "free" are missing. Maybe they just forgot them but maybe they didn't. In a nation where people are rationing insulin that poo poo matters.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also, the term is almost always used as "access to affordable healthcare" which is another completely meaningless term. What is affordable? Obamacare tries to create this illusion of "affordable healthcare" by giving you subsidies to lower the monthly premium for private health insurance. So in that sense, my health insurance (which I purchase from the exchange) is relatively affordable from a monthly premium perspective. After all, it is under $300/mo for a family of 3! How affordable! What isn't affordable is anything beyond routine check-ups. With a $7,200 deductible per person and a $14,400 deductible per family, all of a sudden a broken bone, a child birth, or hell a hearing test for my kid is essentially not covered by my affordable insurance.

Burn the whole system to the ground.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

E.g., if I live in an apartment complex, I might have "access to" the shared pool. But maybe only during specific hours, or maybe I have to pay a fee, or maybe I have to reserve it first, etc. If my apartment has its own pool, I can just use my pool.

Way to speak the language of proletariat there Mrs Warren :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chilichimp posted:

linked it for bernie's opening line.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eschenique posted:

Way to speak the language of proletariat there Mrs Warren :v:

I thought it was obvious that I was supporting free pools for all! (also don't actually get a pool, they kill thousands of children every year, home pools are deathtraps)

Mahoning posted:

Also, the term is almost always used as "access to affordable healthcare" which is another completely meaningless term. What is affordable? Obamacare tries to create this illusion of "affordable healthcare" by giving you subsidies to lower the monthly premium for private health insurance. So in that sense, my health insurance (which I purchase from the exchange) is relatively affordable from a monthly premium perspective. After all, it is under $300/mo for a family of 3! How affordable! What isn't affordable is anything beyond routine check-ups. With a $7,200 deductible per person and a $14,400 deductible per family, all of a sudden a broken bone, a child birth, or hell a hearing test for my kid is essentially not covered by my affordable insurance.

Burn the whole system to the ground.

Yup. "Affordable", in the healthcare context, is synonymous with "pay or die."

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I thought it was obvious that I was supporting free pools for all! (also don't actually get a pool, they kill thousands of children every year, home pools are deathtraps)

What about the right to bear pools in self defense in case the prince of England shows up?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Eschenique posted:

What about the right to bear pools in self defense in case the prince of England shows up?

If Prince Andrew shows up in your neighborhood, please call your local child protective services agency.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Eschenique posted:

Pools full of bears are a rad idea in general to be fair.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

100% of the proceeds to Moms Demand Action and March for Our Lives.

Clearly he's a literal monster for this.