Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Parliamentary sovereignty works here - If parliament passed a bill stripping that power it would be gone by the end of the week, and no reason they can't?

Maybe, but unfortunately (or at least as I understand it?) Brenda would still have to sign the piece of paper on advice of Privy Council before the Parliamentary Act becomes law, and what if the privy council says 'don't sign it' or simply doesn't take it to her?

I could be talking out my rear end buy still?

AceOfFlames posted:

My therapist ended my process in which even she recommended I go see someone else with "I am going to write to your GP that you are feeling better". Now I don't know if that can be a basis for my insurance to gently caress me over if I go somewhere else.

I don't have an answer to this, but you gotta go outside more and get some help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AceOfFlames posted:

My therapist ended my process in which even she recommended I go see someone else with "I am going to write to your GP that you are feeling better". Now I don't know if that can be a basis for my insurance to gently caress me over if I go somewhere else.

If you're not going to actually open up to your therapist about how loving desolate and empty you are its a waste of your time.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYG6Bw29o7U

This BBC Music is a loving gaff they're playing the amityville horror fuckin theme song lmao

It's Tubular Bells, which was used in The Exorcist, you mook.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

Atleast we don't have to worry about Kate Hoey loving this up.

Why? She won't contest the next election but she's still an MP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Who programmes the computer?

As much as I can see the appeal it's humans all the way down AoF.

The high programmers, obviously.

And if you don't like it, that's Communism, and the Troubleshooters will be along shortly to rectify it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope tubular makes a comeback in the same way that radical and cyber did.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

If you're not going to actually open up to your therapist about how loving desolate and empty you are its a waste of your time.

I loving did. I believe I mentioned several times how one time I even explicitly told her about how I believe the world is irreversably hosed, society will collapse and I am just waiting for every one who cares about me to die so I can kill myself and she merely looked at me blank faced and asked "In that case, why are you even in therapy?"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I do think there's scope for compelling MPs to use state education, public transport and the NHS and other publicly funded services to go about their lives. (I guess with some exceptions such as MPs from far flung corners being able to fly to and from London instead of 2 days on a train). And some kind of provided mid week 'student residence' (some of those are extremely flash now) for those needing to stay in London during the week.
I think we'd soon see a dramatic improvement in local bus services for one thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Inaction is better than failure. Low expectations are better than disappointment. Loss aversion is better than risky victory.

These have been my mottos for the past decade. Terrible ones, painful ones but they have shielded me from even more pain than what I have now. Live your life in managed decline because that's how the world will go.

Gonna suggest they've actually just painted you into a corner where you are more terrified to be wrong about those axioms than anything else. Failure is exactly what you get if you don't try, loss is inescapable in the absence of attempt.

Be a real shame if the last decade was actually wasted, best be right about those!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AceOfFlames posted:

Inaction is better than failure. Low expectations are better than disappointment. Loss aversion is better than risky victory.

These have been my mottos for the past decade. Terrible ones, painful ones but they have shielded me from even more pain than what I have now. Live your life in managed decline because that's how the world will go.
Quite often I feel like giving up on fighting depression and just accepting that everything is going to be poo poo until I kill myself but seeing that philosophy written down is kind of inspiring as a reminder that its still worth fighting to be happier every exhausting stupid day, so thanks for this.

OwlFancier posted:

Be a real shame if the last decade was actually wasted, best be right about those!
IDK if this is a joke but it’s very powerfully accurate

TACD fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 3, 2019

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
e: nm

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 3, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I got that job I interviewed for :unsmith:

My spies tell me that I was not the first choice (for basically my own job lol) & there was a massive row about it, but at least I know who my friends are now, & more to the point, no soul destroying job market for me! :D

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

AceOfFlames posted:

I loving did. I believe I mentioned several times how one time I even explicitly told her about how I believe the world is irreversably hosed, society will collapse and I am just waiting for every one who cares about me to die so I can kill myself and she merely looked at me blank faced and asked "In that case, why are you even in therapy?"

Sounds like a pretty lovely therapist to me. Maybe try another

TACD posted:

Quite often I feel like giving up on fighting depression and just accepting that everything is going to be poo poo until I kill myself but seeing that philosophy written down is kind of inspiring as a reminder that its still worth fighting to be happier every exhausting stupid day, so thanks for this.
IDK if this is a joke but it’s very powerfully accurate

Same. I don't think I'll ever be a hopeful person but I'm not going to stop trying to apply myself as if I am. A think a big part of being a (relatively) well-realised person is to stare absolute defeat in the eye and saying 'gently caress you, I'll fight til I die regardless'. It's irrational but then so are most things we do

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

AceOfFlames posted:

Is this really you though, from what I know of you, you moved from Portugal to the Netherlands, that's not inaction or loss aversion to me. Seems like a risk taking thing to do, to tear up your roots and move somewhere else that's completely different.

I mean I personally wouldn't do that. But you did.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

A think a big part of being a (relatively) well-realised person is to stare absolute defeat in the eye and saying 'gently caress you, I'll fight til I die regardless'. It's irrational but then so are most things we do

This is, technically, what you're doing every second you're alive anyway.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Looking forward to seeing how Parliament will fail us today. It's going to be exciting!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

This is, technically, what you're doing every second you're alive anyway.

Well, yeah, exactly

Although bare living isn't what I think most people would call necessarily worthwhile

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

Beat me to it (though I don’t think it’s a stupid assumption, just not a thought-through one). There’s a reason every successful anti-corruption drive in history has involved raising government salaries.

Basically, don’t give people power and then make them dependent on abusing that power to have nice things.
Right, but MPs earn over 100k at the moment and are still corrupt as gently caress.

At least if you set the salary as (for example) 1.5x the modal average income for the country they rule, there'd be incentive for them to improve the economy and also hack down billionaire incomes without it loving them up too much.

There are potential flaws sure, but for fucks sake it's better than what we currently have.

AceOfFlames posted:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

feedmegin posted:

As a programmer I have wondered if we could do a better job of a planned economy with modern computers as opposed to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Cybersyn ...

It gets complicated, from what I've read. People's Republic of Walmart gives an interesting overview of the history and current state of the planning debate from a left perspective hopeful about planning. Optimal planning by Linear Programming, not yet (good post here from 2012, courtesy of ronya), unless we're able to reduce the number of commodities we have by a factor of, say, 1000, or we manage to improve the LP algorithms significantly. Approximate planning might be possible - there's some work going on in that area with possible positive results afaik, but it's an open question.

Cybersyn's faults weren't computational. US sanctions in response to nationalisation then a military coup did them in, they weren't able to get everything established quickly enough, so it was never confirmed whether or not it'd work in practice, although it did show the power of rapid information flow when breaking the (right-wing) truck drivers' strike. It's worth disambiguating cybernetic organisation principles (like Cybersyn) from economic planning - organisational / management cybernetics is about creating viable (adaptive, self-sustaining) institutions and social systems, and doesn't require massive amounts of tech, as such. Planning can be used without cybernetics, and cybernetics without planning!

As always, thought is needed on how to do the transition from here to [optimal system] in a not-collapsed way as much as working out [optimal system] in the first place.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/KeithSimpsonMP/status/1168814966188761088?s=20

Fitting. On the titanic the officers and the first class got on the lifeboats and left the rest to drown too. Thanks for your Tory service and rest in piss.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

AceOfFlames posted:

It's interesting that you were advocating government by AI, because this is the kind of hosed strategy that an AI asked to optimise someone's happiness would come up with.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Borrovan posted:

I got that job I interviewed for :unsmith:

My spies tell me that I was not the first choice (for basically my own job lol) & there was a massive row about it, but at least I know who my friends are now, & more to the point, no soul destroying job market for me! :D

Congratulations :woop: :woop:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Junior G-man posted:

https://twitter.com/KeithSimpsonMP/status/1168814966188761088?s=20

Fitting. On the titanic the officers and the first class got on the lifeboats and left the rest to drown too. Thanks for your Tory service and rest in piss.

Something... odd about that Twitter.

https://twitter.com/IainDale/status/1168224029381136385

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

What did you say? Because it sounds like something asked to provoke an honest response along the lines of "because I don't want to feel like this anymore"?

But if you were/are getting nothing out of it you should be looking for a referral to a different therapist. Because I'm telling you that you need help. Desperately, urgently.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

AceOfFlames posted:

you really are the goon in the well

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Party Boat posted:

It's interesting that you were advocating government by AI, because this is the kind of hosed strategy that an AI asked to optimise someone's happiness would come up with.
That or burning down a hospital because algorithms.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/mollygiles2015/status/1168606000968060929

This is a concerning article. The tl;dr is that the MPs seeking to prevent No Deal have a big problem with the specific wording of any bill. While Parliament can force Boris to seek an extension (like they did with May), if they forced him to accept one that would trigger a procedure called ‘Queen’s Consent’. This allows a minister to simply veto the bill even if it has passed both houses.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks, Guardian liveblog, for letting me know that Cuminic Dommins has arrived at work. Thanks as well for talking about his outfit and adding some pictures.

I'm informed now.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Right, but MPs earn over 100k at the moment and are still corrupt as gently caress.

At least if you set the salary as (for example) 1.5x the modal average income for the country they rule, there'd be incentive for them to improve the economy and also hack down billionaire incomes without it loving them up too much.

Most of them don’t earn over that, and I suspect the ones you would identify as corrupt (which is a dubious definition here) are going to be the ones that were wealthy beforehand.

The problem isn’t an MP’s salary, the problem is the level of financial stability you need in order to be selected, run, and then win in the first place, which has biased outcomes.

Also people like to throw out “power corrupts” as some sort of given, even though the “power reveals” line has more merit in my view.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Step one is building a computer that can survive being smashed up by men with guns.

Engineers: "We did it! Our mega-computer is invulnerable to all that man can do!"

Ultra-Gov 4.0: "BEEP. Final Solution to Human Politics Found: Delete Humans."

Engineers: "Well, poo poo."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Thanks, Guardian liveblog, for letting me know that Cuminic Dommins has arrived at work. Thanks as well for talking about his outfit and adding some pictures.

I'm informed now.

As Sun Tzu says, 'a good general can direct the battle just as well at home in his pants'

It's a development

Hobo posted:

Also people like to throw out “power corrupts” as some sort of given, even though the “power reveals” line has more merit in my view.

Stealing dis

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

I'm informed now.

Now you've been informed can you please donate to The Guardian Media Group so we can continue paying Nick Cohen and Polly Toynbee and Suzanne Moore and Andrew Lawnsley and bunch of other melty twats?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

AceOfFlames posted:

Your therapist might not be a very good fit for you, but the implied answer to that question is that some part of you is not convinced of those things and that's why you're pursuing therapy.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
While most people are thinking it's the ol' Hanlon's Razor way of operation ( Never attribute something to malice instead of stupidity etc. ) the :tinfoil: part of me wonders if maybe the whole, 'oh no, not a GE! :ohdear:' schtick is so they can trigger one from the opposition / rebels. Then hope that Labour gets this whole loving mess dumped on them so close to the deadline, and basically gets hosed trying to sort everything out in a fortnight. So long-term they can point fingers and blame them for the next decade, when everything goes to poo poo. :shrug:

But, it's kind of weird how some things come full circle.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

josh04 posted:

Your therapist might not be a very good fit for you, but the implied answer to that question is that some part of you is not convinced of those things and that's why you're pursuing therapy.

That's essentially what she said. But how the hell is that supposed to help? At best you sound like you are calling your patient a liar at worst you sound like an utter psychopath.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It's supposed to help because you need to actually engage with your therapy for it to work & acknowledging the very obvious answer to that question is the first step towards doing that you numpty

E: like the whole point of therapy is to help you acknowledge that you're basically wrong about a bunch of stuff which is causing you harm, how the hell are you supposed to do that without asking questions that expose the contradictions in your thinking

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 3, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

That's essentially what she said. But how the hell is that supposed to help? At best you sound like you are calling your patient a liar at worst you sound like an utter psychopath.

She was trying to find a chink in the wall of absolute despair and apathy you've built around yourself, and make you realise that maybe there was another way of thinking about things.

I revise my earlier assessment that she was a bad therapist; she just didn't realise the depth of your addiction to misery, it would've worked on someone less dedicated to being utterly supine

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's interesting because this sums up the absolute sham our consitutional foundation is. The entire process is underpinned by gentlemens agreements, and all it takes to break it is a shameless manbaby basically saying 'No I'm not going to do what the mandated representatives of the people say, because they're not allowed to tell the queen what to do, even though i'm not the queen."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/SamGyimah/status/1168815558437085187

another rebel sticking to their convictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Plot twist: the government will be saved by the Lib Dems and Change UK today.

You know it’s true