Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Jesus Christ I loathe these fuckers.

24 is the largest power with a named SI prefix (yotta)

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Good news everyone, Podcasting Is Praxis is now available on Google Podcasts!

Good for you, but come back when I can get it on Pocket or else gently caress off (j/k)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

CyberPingu posted:

Sorry, didnt realise this had been brought up before

Attacking a woman based on her looks? Uh, yeah. Don't do it. Attack Hoey for her politics, for the company she keeps, whatever.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Good for you, but come back when I can get it on Pocket or else gently caress off (j/k)

I’m trying I promise :negative:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rust Martialis posted:

Attacking a woman based on her looks? Uh, yeah. Don't do it. Attack Hoey for her politics, for the company she keeps, whatever.

Attacking a man for their looks still very encouraged though. We just try not to think about it too much

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?
Just wanted to say that I listened to the podcast and loved it. You guys have great chemistry already.

FWIW I managed to get it through (and subscribe to it) on Podcast Republic with no trouble.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

It’s okay to say that Kate Hoey looks like a desiccated corpse if you also point out that she has the politics of a person who would make us all desiccated corpses.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
why does no one care that dennis skinner supports brexit?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Plank Sanction posted:

Just wanted to say that I listened to the podcast and loved it. You guys have great chemistry already.

FWIW I managed to get it through (and subscribe to it) on Podcast Republic with no trouble.

Well, look forward to an all new cast this week, which I’m sure will be as good if not better in that regard! :)

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Chuka Umana posted:

Generally in a clash between “getting the thing I want” and “loving the Tories up” he picks the right side

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

He's been a knob about it on a few occasions actually and it is kind of annoying.

Also as noted he likes murdering tories more than brexit, generally.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Chuka Umana posted:

Because he's otherwise an extremely cool guy, never uses it to undermine the leadership or prop up the Government, and tbf is probably well below average Brexitiness for a guy his age.

Am posting this from one of those work pods everyone was railing against last month. Oh, except it's owned by the University I'm visiting, is free to use, and is actually pretty drat useful. Nationalise shitposting booths imo

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

chestnut santabag posted:

How is this name not more common for him??

I don't want to associate the positive emotions of Pratchett with Johnson.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I have noticed that pretty much all the left opposition to the EU has gone away since the referendum. I was expecting a lot of old school leftists to oppose the EU.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Well, look forward to an all new cast this week, which I’m sure will be as good if not better in that regard! :)

Is it going to be a continuous rotation, or do we expect Darwinian action to prune out the betas to form a stable elite cadre of political jokemen and jokewomen?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chuka Umana posted:

Because Brexit isn't the only thing in British politics. Dennis Skinner is good on most things. Kate Hoey is trash on most things. Also Dennis Skinner would stay in the EU if he knew voting to stay in the EU would bring down Boris's government & you can't say that about Hoey.

Chuka Umana posted:

I have noticed that pretty much all the left opposition to the EU has gone away since the referendum. I was expecting a lot of old school leftists to oppose the EU.

It's not gone away. Mostly it's just muted because most left wing anti-EU people are deeply sceptical of a Tory Brexit being anything other than a total dismantling of the limited workers rights & protections we get from the EU. The complaints are still there but there's little loving point talking about why we need to reform the EU quite drastically if we're not going to be in it in 2 months time.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Chuka Umana posted:

It's harder to be pro-brexit for left wing reasons when brexit is nakedly being used as an excuse for disaster capitalism I'd guess

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

forkboy84 posted:

Because Brexit isn't the only thing in British politics.

wait what?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chuka Umana posted:

We do, but in a choice between "racist helldive crash out of the EU to enrich multimillionaires" and "not that, but we will protest TTIP and state aid rules and Fortress Europe with a view to leaving later as a functioning economy" I'd go with the latter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hope I passed the audition...

Really seems like the only obvious choice, given the way the statements are framed

So the way my results were broken down was Council Communism, then Next Closes matches were Eco-Anarchism: 99.8%, Anarcho-Communism: 98%, Eco-Marxism: 76.4%. And then at the bottom is Marxist-Leninism with 0% because I'm a good lad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

That's essentially what she said. But how the hell is that supposed to help? At best you sound like you are calling your patient a liar at worst you sound like an utter psychopath.
You need to be open with your feelings with your counsellor. Completely open. Even the unpleasant stuff.

You sound like you had a similar problem to me, a lifetime of trying to answer people appropriately, to the point that when a counsellor expects you to just honestly answer a question straight, you can't see it because you're so used to trying to work out the meaning behind the question and what it might reveal about you.

None of this is your fault, it's just a difference between how you talk to a counsellor and how you talk to people normally. What it reveals is usually a person in your past that you've opened up to and they've used it to hurt or belittle you. This is very common for men.

Breaking the habit of a lifetime and opening up is hard, good luck but also maybe ask to see a different counsellor - i had to try 2 or 3 before I found one I could trust.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

So the way my results were broken down was Council Communism, then Next Closes matches were Eco-Anarchism: 99.8%, Anarcho-Communism: 98%, Eco-Marxism: 76.4%. And then at the bottom is Marxist-Leninism with 0% because I'm a good lad.

Much the same but with 2% M-L. Out, damned spot!

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Personal bug bear, does anyone else get irritated when they see a 12 hour forex chart with ridiculous axes of less than a cent. Pisses me right off when BBC article do it. If the pound is the lowest against the dollar since 1985, or the last three years, or whatever, show me that context.

Or are the market reports all being written by AIs with no sense of history now.

Edit: every day for about the past 2 weeks there's been a 'pound slides!' article on the BBC. Then you look at the chart and it's €1.10. Which is slightly higher than a couple of weeks back. Just chum and churn and arrrgh stop amplifying the idiotic market traders as a story.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 3, 2019

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I've listened to the podcast and liked it.

Especially that it wasn't a buncha southern wankers talking about wonky poo poo, however can I be demanding and ask some our female posters to get involved so it doesn't become another sausagefest podcast.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
This clearly very deliberate misinformation is extremely frustrating:

Headline: here's a bad idea we're attributing to 'Labour' (and therefore implying is the official - that is, the leadership's - policy position).
Small print: Actually, it's just few idiots acting in direct opposition to the stated party policy.

I dunno it's really standing out today.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Much the same but with 2% M-L. Out, damned spot!

You mother loving tankie!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Idiot shits in own mouth for the fifteen millionth time" isn't an interesting headline I guess.

Which imo is wrong, people should be more appreciative of autocoprophagia.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

That quiz is purely there to promote factionalism, comrades.

Of course, anyone who is not an eco-Marxist is directly in contradiction to the one true path to Real Communism, is a traitor, and must be sent to a GBS work camp for one year

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pleased to see that Kate Hoey is as reliably shite as ever. Sometimes constancy can be comforting even as you get hosed over.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]:
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1168825578121846785
Hoey voting with the government. Shocking, I know.

I can't remember, is anything happening to punish her for literally siding with the tories over her own party over and over and over and over again?

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Good news everyone, Podcasting Is Praxis is now available on Google Podcasts!

acast pls

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Ready to lol when boris calls an election the mail runs a crush the saboteurs headline and Corbyn gains 20 seats

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Junior G-man posted:

That quiz is purely there to promote factionalism, comrades.

Of course, anyone who is not an eco-Marxist is directly in contradiction to the one true path to Real Communism, is a traitor, and must be sent to a GBS work camp for one year

I believe some environmental destruction is necessary to preserve quality of life for workers. Send me to the gulag.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't have a gulag, fences disrupt the environment.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Barry Foster posted:

I can't remember, is anything happening to punish her for literally siding with the tories over her own party over and over and over and over again?
Her CLP voted no confidence in her, and she's deselected herself for the next GE (presumably jumping before getting pushed, and freeing herself up to act like an arse in the meantime knowing there's nothing more the party can do)
https://mobile.twitter.com/KateHoeyMP/status/1148198081143476225

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Borrovan posted:

Her CLP voted no confidence in her, and she's deselected herself for the next GE (presumably jumping before getting pushed, and freeing herself up to act like an arse in the meantime knowing there's nothing more the party can do)

Fuckin' A. Look forward to her being wiped off the map in a month or so, then

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

She’s quitting the party before the next election. Unfortunately she still has this opportunity to gently caress up.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Borrovan posted:

Would this take effect for a snap election though?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I believe the canvassing of Labour MPs was specifically in preparation for a snap election.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

GE dates on her resignation letter suggest she might not have known that when she signed it though :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Yep. A couple of months ago Labour HQ sent out letters to all MPs because they expected a snap GE before the next scheduled election, specifically to give certain MP's a chance to jump before being pushed.