Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

this happened last year over Houston right? It just parked and kept getting powered up by the boiling gulf for days

Yes, it stopped trucking but kept loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

The Glumslinger posted:

The wind blows the wrong way and water is way colder than the Atlantic

Spergin Morlock posted:

because the earth isn't spinning in the opposite direction.

ty

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Bip Roberts posted:

lol imagine spending all your time building a giant hill to keep society from dying only to get genocided by some yokel from Genoa

The last thing you see before your culture is forever extinguished:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bip Roberts posted:

lol imagine spending all your time building a giant hill to keep society from dying only to get genocided by some yokel from Genoa

or worse, a spaniard

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

isn't it going to merge with the next storm at some point if it keeps sitting there

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

isn't it going to merge with the next storm at some point if it keeps sitting there

Let Them Fight

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

this is just like my lovely scyfy movies

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Seconding this question. Do hurricanes ever knock into or interfere with each other?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

platzapS posted:

Seconding this question. Do hurricanes ever knock into or interfere with each other?

Yes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujiwhara_effect

Its bad!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Skippy McPants posted:

Fuckin' storm is just sitting there doing donuts on Grand Bahama's front lawn.

Goddamn. What did the Bahamas ever do to deserve this? Park that sumbitch over Florida where it belongs.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The first image in that article is, well, nightmarish.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

or worse, a spaniard

I fear the Portingales, personally, and perfidious Albion

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if you still care, here's an la times article about when hurricanes and tropical storms have come close. a tropical storm hit orange county in 1939

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-08-21/hurricanes-here-the-cordonazo-that-lashed-los-angeles

in this map from the article you can just baaaarely see a few reaching up toward southern california

but i think all of these (reaching socal) are tropical storms, not even category 1, so nothing compared to what happens elsewhere

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 12:43 on Sep 3, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

oystertoadfish posted:

if you still care, here's an la times article about when hurricanes and tropical storms have come close. a tropical storm hit orange county in 1939

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-08-21/hurricanes-here-the-cordonazo-that-lashed-los-angeles

in this map from the article you can just baaaarely see a few reaching up toward southern california

but i think all of these are tropical storms, not even category 1, so nothing compared to what happens elsewhere

that map image combined with "here be dragons" makes so much more sense :supaburn:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The storm doesn't even seem like it's going to hit the US.

How the gently caress did the Bahamas do anything to deserve this yet Florida gets out completely unscathed?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

if the actually living there bahamanian citizens could take over and freeze all assets that exist via companies parking in the tax shelter and then use all that money to build an archipelago of storm proof arcologies that stand as a rebuttal to the queen and the commonwealth that might be cool

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

this happened last year over Houston right? It just parked and kept getting powered up by the boiling gulf for days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rc89Qeu3TY

The eye parked to the west of Houston and the rain bands just kept coming in off the gulf for days.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

oystertoadfish posted:

but i think all of these (reaching socal) are tropical storms, not even category 1, so nothing compared to what happens elsewhere

cheers. these sound like the primary differences:

quote:

Unlike the eastern U.S., where the warm Gulf Stream flows northward along the Atlantic Coast, the California Current carries cool water southward along the West Coast. It literally throws cold water in the face of any tropical cyclones approaching the California coast and the coast of northern Baja California.

In addition, the upper-level winds known as steering currents tend to carry storms to the west and northwest, out into the Pacific and away from California. At lower levels of the atmosphere off the California coast, prevailing winds are northwesterly, creating vertical wind shear that rips hurricanes apart. These northwesterly winds near the surface also promote upwelling, pulling cool water from the deep and pushing warmer coastal water offshore, creating a less-hospitable environment for tropical cyclones.

Downward motion in the atmosphere off the coast of Southern California, as opposed to upward motion vital to the formation of thunderstorms, also discourages formation or continuation of cyclones. 

which incidentally raises the question of "what happens if climate change causes the gulf stream to shut down?" naively i'd guess it means you'd have hotter water hanging around in the gulf of mexico/caribbean sea causing maxxximum storms - but from a brief read of wikipedia it sounds like we don't need to worry because at that point everything falls apart and we all die

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

being an oceanographer studying those currents must be one hell of a trip. you get to gently caress around with simulations and poo poo and find all sorts of new and exciting ways in which small changes to a delicate system cause abrupt and apocalyptic changes in climate

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chuka Umana posted:

The storm doesn't even seem like it's going to hit the US.

How the gently caress did the Bahamas do anything to deserve this yet Florida gets out completely unscathed?

the universe doesn’t care about deserving things

nothing matters, hail satan

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1168835589027848194?s=20

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1168888878624698368?s=20

https://twitter.com/p0sitivechange/status/1168870569904922624?s=20

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

redleader posted:

cheers. these sound like the primary differences:

which incidentally raises the question of "what happens if climate change causes the gulf stream to shut down?" naively i'd guess it means you'd have hotter water hanging around in the gulf of mexico/caribbean sea causing maxxximum storms - but from a brief read of wikipedia it sounds like we don't need to worry because at that point everything falls apart and we all die

if the Gulf Stream shuts down, then the US East Coast and Northern Europe get a lot colder, major storms and tropical cyclones will get both stronger and less predictable, and ecosystems all around the Atlantic and surrounding land masses will be wrecked by the sudden major temperature change

there's also similar warm currents in the Pacific which could shut down as well with a comparable impact on Japan and Australia

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Holy poo poo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
is dorian still in the same spot

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I think it's been moving slowly northwest. the cone of uncertainty doesn't include landfall in Florida anymore, so it's unlikely

also my phone just told me it got downgraded to a category two, at least the friction and whatever else is slowing the wind down

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the tropical tidbits guy said that the north side of the islands had cold water since they shield it from the currents coming up from the south along the florida coast so weakening was gonna happen once the storm got there

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It also is/was undergoing an eyewall replacement, which usually drops storms a category or two on its own. If it finishes that and gets to the gulf stream relatively intact then it could strengthen back up again for a day or two before it zooms by the Carolinas.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Freeport no longer exists, the whole island no longer exists and won't be there in 10 years.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Lastgirl posted:

Freeport no longer exists, the whole island no longer exists and won't be there in 10 years.

Goddamn

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

Am I seeing this correctly? Is the entire island underwater?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Doc Walrus posted:

yes, you are seeing 20ft storm surge covering a 0 ft (sea level) island

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

Its flooded, but it doesn't indicate how deep, I saw people walking around in water just below their knees filming devastation which that could be reflecting.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
yes

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
how am i supposed to import beautiful bahamian sand to build my private beach in miami :qq:

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Doc Walrus posted:

The darker spots are still above water, I think

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lastgirl posted:

yes, you are seeing 20ft storm surge covering a 0 ft (sea level) island

Isn't the bottom dark portion above water or is that just less deep water

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

how am i supposed to import beautiful bahamian sand to build my private beach in miami :qq:

It's a hilarious fun fact how most of the beaches in Florida are artificial and they have to import sand in from other places.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

etalian posted:

It's a hilarious fun fact how most of Florida is artificial

Adbot