Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

etalian posted:

Practical sets were amazing too bad they all got burned down in a fire.
extremely roman of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Dalael posted:

Best place to ask would be the real ancient history thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

I did ages ago but got no reply. Cheers for the recommendation but I suppose I'll hit up the library or email an academic or something.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Augustus' handling of the senate in the principate is pretty easy to learn about but the senate post 476ce is gonna be troublesome

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

dpf posted:

I did ages ago but got no reply. Cheers for the recommendation but I suppose I'll hit up the library or email an academic or something.

So I had a quick look and the only thing I found is "The Senate of Imperial Rome" from Richard Talbert. From the description:

quote:

Richard J. A. Talbert examines the composition, procedure, and functions of the Roman senate during the Principate (30 B.C.-A.D. 238). Although it is of central importance to the period, this great council has not previously received such scholarly treatment. Offering a fresh approach to major ancient authors (Pliny and Tacitus in particular), the book also draws on inscriptions and legal writers never before fully exploited for the study of the senate.

Not exactly what you're looking for but, better than nothing?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
From what I heard, when Justinian invaded Italy, a good chunk of Italian nobles/senators packed up and moved to Anatolia to avoid the war and never came home. Afterwards the remainers didn't bother to convene anymore because there weren't enough of them to bother.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Again, I return to the graffiti of Pompeii which was mostly dicks or comments about dicks.

In 1920 archaeologists discovered a roman garrison town in Syria called Dura Europos. It was clear that the town had been destroyed in a battle but the identity of the attackers was unclear until they found some graffiti on the wall. The graffiti read "the persians attacked us" and beneath the text it was a drawing of a soldier on a horse.

Platystemon posted:

Carthage: uses boats

Rome: is bad at boats

Rome (internally): But what if we could turn sea battles into close‐quarters swordfights?

The vikings did the same thing. Before every sea battle they tied all their longships together to make a floating battlefield.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Overall the reason Rome is so fun to learn about is there is just so much humanizing information about them because we just luckily have it. Certainly it was no different in other ancient cultures as well, but we just do not have the same depth of information for many of them. The vindolanda tablets alone are goddamn amazing in the window they give to what amounts to everyday life.

Drawings made by Omfin, a kid who lived in Novgorod in the 13th century:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

omfin owns

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think you'll find Onfim was actually a wild beast

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
More evidence that there was civilization on the North American continent much earlier than previously thought:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2019/08/coopers-landing-idaho-site-americas-oldest/

or in the words of Graham Hancock, "duh".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The wrecks of the Terror and Erebus are surprising well preserved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxyTZ3F7mkA

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

etalian posted:

The wrecks of the Terror and Erebus are surprising well preserved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxyTZ3F7mkA

Fergus Fleming's Barrow's Boys is a great read

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

emfive posted:

Fergus Fleming's Barrow's Boys is a great read

lol

quote:

A few of John Barrow’s expeditions:

1816: Barrow’s first mission sends a crew up the Congo in search of the mouth of the Niger River. Within 200 miles yellow fever wipes out most of the crew; when the survivors turn around their African guides flee into the bush, stealing most of their supplies. None of the officers survive and only a few crewmembers limp back to England. The mission is a total failure, setting an unfortunate precedent for the missions to follow.

1819-1822: The legendary John Franklin takes his first overland mission to map Canada’s northern coastline. They run out of food and are driven to eating lichen from rocks, mice, and even their shoes, which are roasted or boiled before being devoured. Some of the men resort to cannibalism.

1825: Gordon Laing, the indomitable African explorer and dreadful poet, crosses the Sahara in search of Timbuctoo, rumored to be a wondrous city of learning and commerce. Attacked by Tuareg tribesmen, he covers 400 miles strapped to the back of a camel with numerous saber cuts, a fractured jawbone, a musket ball in the hip, three broken fingers, and a slashed wrist. He eventually finds Timbuctoo, which turns out to be nothing more than a squalid huddle of mud houses. Laing is murdered by Tuaregs on his way back and his body is never discovered.

1830: Richard and John Lander take up the intrepid task of following the Niger to its mouth. Along the way they are forced to bribe tribal leaders to let them continue, abducted by pirates and delivered into slavery, bought by a drunken chief who sets them free to sail away with a foul-mouthed British captain who desperately needs healthy crewmembers. They return to England in 1831, having discovered the mouth of the Niger, only to receive the cold shoulder from Barrow, who had long argued that the Niger ended elsewhere and was displeased to have his beliefs disproven.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

the deal was that after the Napoleonic wars there were many, many thousands of officers out of jobs. Barrow was the lowest-ranking member of the Admiralty but he effectively had full executive discretion on how to carry out the vague intentions of a bunch of drunk idiots higher up in the bureaucracy.

It was all completely insane, the book is amazing, like sci-fi

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

emfive posted:

the deal was that after the Napoleonic wars there were many, many thousands of officers out of jobs. Barrow was the lowest-ranking member of the Admiralty but he effectively had full executive discretion on how to carry out the vague intentions of a bunch of drunk idiots higher up in the bureaucracy.

It was all completely insane, the book is amazing, like sci-fi

The It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia approach to exploring the world?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
any ancient history books that have an audio book y'all would recommend? Or podcasts I suppose, I listened to the Rome podcast by that one guy and enjoyed it.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Id be interested in audiobook recs too but podcast wise it sounds like The Ancient World by Scott Chesworth is exactly what you're looking for. Its a lil rough in the beginning but the sound editing and diction improves considerably as it goes on.

After Scott finished up his main tour of the ancient world he next did something interesting and iirc unique among history podcasts: tell centuries of history framed by following the descendents of a single family from Cleopatra to Zenobia.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I really enjoy reading ancient histories that were written in ancient times. Diodorus Sicilus, Plutarch, Pliny the Elder. Especially when they are discussing places and cultures that were unfamiliar to them, they often included many strange and fascinating legends and stories, often compiled from other texts that have since been lost. The most famous in this genre is Herodotus, who is usually considered to be the inventor of history in the West, in the sense that he was the first one to come up with a systematic method for researching and compiling stories about the past into a single coherent narrative. And unlike some of the other people I just mentioned, he traveled to many of the places he wrote about, so his stories about Egypt were ones he heard there firsthand from local priests, etc.

Much of it is about actual history, and wars and rulers and such, but some of the stories are pretty ridiculous:

Herodotus posted:

Other Indians dwell near the town of Caspatyrus and the Pactyic country, northward of the rest of India; these live like the Bactrians; they are of all Indians the most warlike, and it is they who are charged with the getting of the gold; for in these parts all is desert by reason of the sand. There are found in this sandy desert ants not so big as dogs but bigger than foxes; the Persian king has some of these, which have been caught there. These ants make their dwellings underground, digging out the sand in the same manner as do the ants in Greece, to which they are very like in shape, and the sand which they carry forth from the holes is full of gold. It is for this sand that the Indians set forth into the desert. They harness three camels apiece, a male led camel on either side to help in draught, and a female in the middle: the man himself rides on the female, careful that when harnessed she has been taken away from as young an offspring as may be. Their camels are as swift as horses, and much better able to bear burdens besides.

I do not describe the camel's appearance to Greeks, for they know it; but I will show them a thing which they do not know concerning it: the hindlegs of the camel have four thighbones and four knee-joints; its privy parts are turned towards the tail between the hindlegs.

Thus and with teams so harnessed the Indians ride after the gold, using all diligence that they shall be about the business of taking it when the heat is greatest; for the ants are then out of sight underground. Now in these parts the sun is hottest in the morning, not at midday as elsewhere, but from sunrise to the hour of market-closing. Through these hours it is hotter by much than in Hellas at noon, so that men are said to sprinkle themselves with water at this time. At midday the sun's heat is well nigh the same in India and elsewhere. As it grows to afternoon, the sun of India has the power of the morning sun in other lands; with its sinking the day becomes ever cooler, till at sunset it is exceeding cold.

So when the Indians come to the place with their sacks, they fill these with the sand and ride away back with all speed; for, as the Persians say, the ants forthwith scent them out and give chase, being, it would seem, so much swifter than all other creatures that if the Indians made not haste on their way while the ants are mustering, not one of them would escape. So they loose the male trace-camels that they lead, one at a time (these being slower than the females); the mares never tire, for they remember the young that they have left. Such is the tale. Most of the gold (say the Persians) is got in this way by the Indians; there is some besides that they dig from mines in their country, but it is less abundant.

Despite such tales, it is interesting to read the histories because it gives you an idea of how people in ancient times believe their world worked, and shows you how much knowledge they had of it. That is very important if you want to understand why they did the things they did.

I used to listen to Librivox recordings of the histories while drifting off to sleep, and since those are user-submitted recordings some sections are of higher quality than others:

https://librivox.org/herodotus-histories-vol-1/

I am sure there is a proper audiobook of it too.

Someone mentioned 1077 BC on here before, and that's a good read, and seems to be available on audible:

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/1177-B...c3_lProduct_6_4

~~~

As for podcasts, I'm not a huge fan of Dan Carlin, but he did an amazing 5 part series (8 hours in total) about the history of the Mongolian Empire that was really cool. When I listened to it, it was available for free, though it looks like he is selling it now for :10bux: :

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-wrath-of-the-khans-series/

And though I mentioned it several times here already, it remains one of my favorites, the short-lived History of Exploration podcast:

https://historyofexploration.net/

The Maritime History Podcast is also good if you want to remember sailor, but the narrator's voice isn't the most engaging:

http://maritimehistorypodcast.com/episodes-maritime-history-podcast/

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Funny you use that story in particular because the gold digging ants are real, except due to probably a mistranslation by Herodotus they're not ants they're marmots:

quote:

They say the outsize furry 'ants', first described by Herodotus in the fifth century BC, are in fact big marmots. These creatures -Herodotus calls them 'bigger than a fox, though not so big as a dog'- are still throwing up gold bearing soil from deep underground as they dig their burrows. Most important, the explorers say they have found indigenous people on the same high plateau who say that for generations they have collected gold dust from the marmots' work.
https://www.livius.org/sources/content/herodotus/the-gold-digging-ants/

twoday
May 4, 2005

:stonklol:

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
I like the History of Egypt and Fall of Rome podcasts because they are made by academics and not hobby enthusiasts, who, whatever subject they cover, sooner or later fall into the swamp that is military history.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wouldn't be the first time people scoffed at something Herodotus said on for it to be completely real. I recall his accounts of nile river yachts being retarded as an exaggeration and welp they found one buried in the mud, just as described

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I really want them to find evidence of the Mediterranean tsunami that Ammianus Marcelinus talks about. Supposedly large ships where tossed into the beginnings of the Sahara sometime in the... late 3rd to 4th century?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Ali Alkali posted:

I like the History of Egypt and Fall of Rome podcasts because they are made by academics and not hobby enthusiasts, who, whatever subject they cover, sooner or later fall into the swamp that is military history.

On this note I randomly became curious about the megalithic era of Japanese History (or Kofun period), and listened to a couple of early episodes from the podcast called "Samurai Archives Japanese History Podcast" and found that it was incredibly professionally done, with actual historians and archaeologists commenting on the most nuanced details about excavations dating to several thousand years before the written record. Incredibly professional and also very scientific and dry.

I personally consider history to be more of an art than a science because no matter what they dig up, it ultimately ends up with someone weaving together a historical narrative out of it and that it how it is remembered by everyone else. So while I personally place a lot of value on archaeology and scientific data about the past, I place even more value on people who are able to compress all of this into a cohesive story, however incomplete it may be.

On that note, I want to mention an archaeology blog that I read every single week:

https://exploratornews.wordpress.com/

Every week, this blog compiles every singly interesting article about archaeology that was published, from the origins of ancient homo to the colonial era, categorized into several sections based upon region and culture.

Every week, archaeologists uncover amazing, mind-boggling things.

Every week, I read this, and I learn something which I didn't know before. I click on the titles of articles which sound interesting, and I don't always know what the gently caress they are talking about of course, but the articles provide enough keywords for me to look into it further. It has proved to be a continuous font of knowledge.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

So do the marmots chase down the camels?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Funny you use that story in particular because the gold digging ants are real, except due to probably a mistranslation by Herodotus they're not ants they're marmots:

https://www.livius.org/sources/content/herodotus/the-gold-digging-ants/

Also while I have not myself found gold in their spoils, I did find several Cretaceous conodont molar cusps in the spoils of a prairie dog burrow, and at another burrow found some limestone marine snail shells which must have been brought up from pretty deep because the surface was all bentonite shale. As I recall the early paleontologist Othniel Marsh loved searching anthills for the same sort of microfossils. So there's a lot of cool stuff animals can excavate for lazy humans!

twoday posted:

I personally consider history to be more of an art than a science because no matter what they dig up, it ultimately ends up with someone weaving together a historical narrative out of it and that it how it is remembered by everyone else. So while I personally place a lot of value on archaeology and scientific data about the past, I place even more value on people who are able to compress all of this into a cohesive story, however incomplete it may be.

I think if you're going to take this attitude to history, its going to inevitably lead you into making some mistakes. History HAS to be treated as a science, because unlike the quality of a painting or song, it is not subjective. We can't treat it like it is, and if we do, we liable to end up believing the things we want to believe. History must be falsifiable and empirical, and if it's not those things it's just fiction. Obviously when Plutarch says Tiberius was a baby fucker we can't go back in time and literally catch the Emperor in the act, we can't test history that way. What we can do is test if Plutarch actually existed in the time he says he does, we can check his reliability in other respects, and we can look to see if his statements are consistent with everything else we know. Ultimately for a lot of historical stories we just have to shrug and accept we don't know what really happened or who had sex with what. Acknowledging the extent of uncertainty might be the most important job of a good scientist, even if it's not very flashy, and even if it means we can't trust the saucy sex gossip of antiquity.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Squalid posted:

Also while I have not myself found gold in their spoils, I did find several Cretaceous conodont molar cusps in the spoils of a prairie dog burrow, and at another burrow found some limestone marine snail shells which must have been brought up from pretty deep because the surface was all bentonite shale. As I recall the early paleontologist Othniel Marsh loved searching anthills for the same sort of microfossils. So there's a lot of cool stuff animals can excavate for lazy humans!

I think if you're going to take this attitude to history, its going to inevitably lead you into making some mistakes. History HAS to be treated as a science, because unlike the quality of a painting or song, it is not subjective. We can't treat it like it is, and if we do, we liable to end up believing the things we want to believe. History must be falsifiable and empirical, and if it's not those things it's just fiction. Obviously when Plutarch says Tiberius was a baby fucker we can't go back in time and literally catch the Emperor in the act, we can't test history that way. What we can do is test if Plutarch actually existed in the time he says he does, we can check his reliability in other respects, and we can look to see if his statements are consistent with everything else we know. Ultimately for a lot of historical stories we just have to shrug and accept we don't know what really happened or who had sex with what. Acknowledging the extent of uncertainty might be the most important job of a good scientist, even if it's not very flashy, and even if it means we can't trust the saucy sex gossip of antiquity.

History cannot be treated as a science because it is inherently subjective! It is based upon countless layers of presumption which are not founded in science but rather upon hearsay, and those secondary sources make up a great deal of our understanding of history, especially when dealing with ancient times. Every history that has been written was colored by the understanding of the past which was popular in its time, and the multitude of inaccuracies has only accumulated. There is no objective way to interpret the past. We analyze artifacts and determine what they mean (while we ourselves are influenced by previous false interpretations), and make massive assumptions about entire societies based upon those conclusions. But we have no idea what they mean in actuality, it's all just an educated guess. Pretending that history or archaeology are in any way objective is a delusion. Though there are material remnants which are unquestionably a representation of the past, our entire understanding of the culture which surrounded those objects is based on little more than an accumulation of subjective interpretations. That is the basis of all historical interpretation, that is its bread and butter, sorry.

Read this and get back to me:

http://sultanaeducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Motel-of-the-Mysteries-Macaulay.pdf

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
History can never be a science but mocking people for trying to be scientific about history is in most cases equally stupid.

The truth ain't in the middle but the extremes are dumb as rocks.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Agreed. I don't mean to dismiss all of the science which has been used in the analysis of archeology, but merely point out some of the fundamental flaws underlying the ways in which those findings are often interpreted

Edit: I also didn’t want to come off as mocking, that was not at all my intention :(

twoday has issued a correction as of 06:40 on Sep 3, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

And that's also why there is a distinction between archeology and history

Whereas modern archeology is often based opon the scientific method, history is a subjective interpretation based upon those findings as much as it is based upon inherently subjective written records

There is no such thing as a scientifically verifiable interpretation of history

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

twoday
May 4, 2005

Reminds me of the caves of the Gran Canaria, the underground cave cities of Anatolia, and the caves of the Cobra Valley in Nepal, but the vegetation seems wrong for all of those places. Where is it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

twoday posted:

Reminds me of the caves of the Gran Canaria, the underground cave cities of Anatolia, and the caves of the Cobra Valley in Nepal, but the vegetation seems wrong for all of those places. Where is it?

Anatolia.

It’s the Derinkuyu underground city.

twoday
May 4, 2005

way slimier than I expected for Anatolia, gross

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

twoday posted:

History cannot be treated as a science because it is inherently subjective! It is based upon countless layers of presumption which are not founded in science but rather upon hearsay, and those secondary sources make up a great deal of our understanding of history, especially when dealing with ancient times. Every history that has been written was colored by the understanding of the past which was popular in its time, and the multitude of inaccuracies has only accumulated. There is no objective way to interpret the past. We analyze artifacts and determine what they mean (while we ourselves are influenced by previous false interpretations), and make massive assumptions about entire societies based upon those conclusions. But we have no idea what they mean in actuality, it's all just an educated guess. Pretending that history or archaeology are in any way objective is a delusion. Though there are material remnants which are unquestionably a representation of the past, our entire understanding of the culture which surrounded those objects is based on little more than an accumulation of subjective interpretations. That is the basis of all historical interpretation, that is its bread and butter, sorry.

Read this and get back to me:

http://sultanaeducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Motel-of-the-Mysteries-Macaulay.pdf

It’s pure nonsense. Good history is not subjective. If you look through old naval reports, and it says Ship X sank in 1944 off coast Y, you can actually go there and test if those reports are reliable. And very often they are.. There is nothing subjective about this at all. Either the ship sank there or it didn’t.

The mistake people make is that they confuse there being room for interpretation for subjectivity. These are not the same thing! If I present at the doctor with certain symptoms, there maybe more than one disease that could explain my condition, and the doctor may use their professional opinion to select between any one of several possible treatments. My condition however is not subjective, there’s just uncertainty.

People get confused on this distinction because academic historians are not usually the people who end up testing historical research. That’s typically done by other people in other fields who apply the data collected and organized by historians. However the fact they can use that data in what are clearly scientific investigations is proof that historical methods are scientific methods.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Squalid posted:

I'm gonna have to both agree and disagree with you on this subject. What you say isn't wrong, but I think it's also important to understand that when it comes to history, :airquote: evidence :airquote: is highly subject to interpretation because we lack so much of it. if it was so clear cut, there wouldn't be so much arguing amongst academics

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
My thesis was a bit of a comparative analysis on race relations in German vs Anglo settlements in Texas.

Science: statistics based on census data, estimated net worth from career type and land holdings, comparisons on numbers of lynchings reported, etc.

Not science: everything else, including the main idea of whether things were "better" for minorities in certain areas and how that compares to the modern idea of traditional German-American tolerance

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Most historians aren't doing research as to whether or not a ship sunk.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dalael posted:

I'm gonna have to both agree and disagree with you on this subject. What you say isn't wrong, but I think it's also important to understand that when it comes to history, :airquote: evidence :airquote: is highly subject to interpretation because we lack so much of it. if it was so clear cut, there wouldn't be so much arguing amongst academics

your error here is assuming that science isn't subject to interpretation.

Flavius Aetass posted:

My thesis was a bit of a comparative analysis on race relations in German vs Anglo settlements in Texas.

Science: statistics based on census data, estimated net worth from career type and land holdings, comparisons on numbers of lynchings reported, etc.

Not science: everything else, including the main idea of whether things were "better" for minorities in certain areas and how that compares to the modern idea of traditional German-American tolerance

you might not have had statistics to prove if one area was better or worse for minorities. However you probably had a variety of textual sources which you carefully referenced. If I disagreed with you I could go to those sources myself, because as a historian you reasoned from specific evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsOG_whfVck

This is one of my favorite youtube channels right now. This is short video but he lays out all the pieces of evidence that support the Great pyramid being built by Khufu. Each line of evidence he presents, textual and archaeological, is testable against the others, and all of them point to a single conclusion. Impressive considering the pyramid was built 4500 years ago!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Flavius Aetass posted:

Most historians aren't doing research as to whether or not a ship sunk.

what about the White Ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Bernstrike posted:

what about the White Ship?

scientifically, according to this contemporary image

the ship was much too small for four people