Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nuclear Spoon posted:

is this philp guy filibustering. philperbustering

No, this is a separate order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Deleter posted:

Bit late for that Clarkson you fuckwit

Clarkson was always in favour of Remain as, which he doesn't like to advertise outside some photo essays in the Sunday times, he's actually a francophile

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
11 rebels in shot for the opening salvo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/MediaGuido/status/1168908930375999491?s=19

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

this loving owns but also wtf is the target audience for this tweet

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Deleter posted:

Bit late for that Clarkson you fuckwit

He's actually been saying variations on that for quite a while. Clarkson has always been a Remainer with a soft spot for revocation.

Also, lol:

https://twitter.com/simon_nixon/status/1168862880420311042?s=21

Your regular reminder that the prime minister's top strategist has this guy as his intellectual hero.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bump_fn posted:

this loving owns but also wtf is the target audience for this tweet

Literally just Fox and Friends.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tom Peck in being right shocker

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It would be really loving funny if we defeated BoJo and and then voted down an election, leaving him standing around with absolutely no loving plan and having promised the Earth to everybody and failed miserably to deliver.

Obviously then we have an election, but seriously just a few days of him being utterly humiliated would be awesome. The fact that he's going to be forced to deselect Winston Churchill's grandson is awesome enough.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So, if the bill tonight passes but Johnson's subsequent call for an election fails, doesn't that mean that Parliament can potentially block no deal (however they go about it) and not let Johnson try to force us out through an election and/or prorogation?

Cos that would be a pretty hilarious outcome, even if it means a bit longer in tory hellworld.

Edit: what Jabby said.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Do people get the feeling that a lot of the Remain side is starting to win, even with the normal very pro-leave press? There is only so much spin people can but up with and I think we are reaching that point.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
But Dominic Cummings reads the Art of War!!! How could he fail like this?!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
as much as I like the idea of Boris failing at everything he does is having an October election not basically the best-case scenario right now? especially since there seem to be enough anti-No Deal votes to pass an amendment calling for an extension

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, if the bill tonight passes but Johnson's subsequent call for an election fails, doesn't that mean that Parliament can potentially block no deal (however they go about it) and not let Johnson try to force us out through an election and/or prorogation?

Cos that would be a pretty hilarious outcome, even if it means a bit longer in tory hellworld.

Edit: what Jabby said.

I suspect what they're trying to do - after Johnson made such a big thing about how he would never "go begging" for an extension- is to make him do exactly that, or force a constitutional crisis.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1168947371692240896?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well, I've apparently got a 30 minute limit on watching parliament before I want to rip out my eardrums so I guess I'll come back in a couple hours

That'd certainly be nice.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Josef bugman posted:

Do people get the feeling that a lot of the Remain side is starting to win, even with the normal very pro-leave press? There is only so much spin people can but up with and I think we are reaching that point.

Maybe this particular fight but certainly not the war. Even if A50 gets revoked, this particular cat isn't going back in the bag - it'll just lead to the Tory party getting entirely consumed by the Brexit party.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
watching on twitch was a good idea

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I honestly wasn't expecting the Boris project to crash and burn quite this quickly.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lol the guy accusing labour of hypocrisy for opposing NDB when that's been their single most consistent position the whole time

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

watching on twitch was a good idea

Give me the link to this NOW

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Josef bugman posted:

We lost, and there is no evidence strongly suggesting we wouldn't lose again.

I think this is the big issue, I've not seen a decent poll that shows a strong swing to remain (feel free to link one someone if you do)

It's why I think Labours plan of pitting remain against no-deal was a good one, because I think only a NDB dealt a big enough blow to support to swing the vote.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Give me the link to this NOW

https://www.twitch.tv/ukparliament?twitch5=0

"standing by your principles doesn't always damage your prospects" lol JC is on it tonight

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mfcrocker posted:

Maybe this particular fight but certainly not the war. Even if A50 gets revoked, this particular cat isn't going back in the bag - it'll just lead to the Tory party getting entirely consumed by the Brexit party.

Oh I understand, but this battle feels more like an Austerlitz. It's a big showy win that can be used effectively and fundamentally demoralises your opponents.

Thetobester
Jul 14, 2012
So we're going for the "rubbing the dogs nose in the rug it's pissed on" strategy then. That's a new one.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Wait, isn't a snap election what Corbyn wants?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

"For those on the other side of the house, I have some words of encouragement for them: sticking to your principles doesn't always damage your future prospects."

Pretty killer line from Corbyn.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I honestly wasn't expecting the Boris project to crash and burn quite this quickly.

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1168938852200976384

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Well, I've apparently got a 30 minute limit on watching parliament before I want to rip out my eardrums so I guess I'll come back in a couple hours

Me too man, only I'm only on about a 10 minute cool down before I have to switch over or put my foot through the screen.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Julio Cruz posted:

as much as I like the idea of Boris failing at everything he does is having an October election not basically the best-case scenario right now? especially since there seem to be enough anti-No Deal votes to pass an amendment calling for an extension

Ask for an extension because ???, though? You need to change your negotiating position, or your government, or have a second referendum.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
lol https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1168949410832797697

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Thetobester posted:

So we're going for the "rubbing the dogs nose in the rug it's pissed on" strategy then. That's a new one.

It's not undeserved.

wocobob posted:

It'll be on labour's terms, not Johnson's

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hi UKMT

First off, thanks for all the kind folks from last thread that suggested setting up a GoFundMe or similar for my current financial crisis. You're all lovely people, and the generosity genuinely brought me to tears (several times). Thankfully I had a spot of good fortune and I'm due a tax rebate; thanks to hellworld time dilation I forgot that I was an actual salaried employee for three months last financial year so they've given me all my PAYE tax back.

I'm currently enjoying Tory meltdown. Thread is great when the smell of blue blood is in the water.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

wocobob posted:

A snap election on Johnson's terms where he can bluster about being hamstrung by parliament and traitors isn't as good as a GE called after he's had more time to look incredibly weak and unpopular

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ornedan posted:

Ask for an extension because ???, though? You need to change your negotiating position, or your government, or have a second referendum.

The EU have said they will extend for a GE. I mean thsts usually how we change governments.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

wocobob posted:

Let's delay a GE and let people suffer and starve for several more weeks to rub in in BJs face

yes i know a JC gov won't insta-fix everything

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

CUMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Tsaedje posted:

A snap election on Johnson's terms where he can bluster about being hamstrung by parliament and traitors isn't as good as a GE called after he's had more time to look incredibly weak and unpopular

What would the second scenario come from? A Corbyn VONC? Would that give more of a chance to not crash out? (sorry, i've been out of the loop on uk politics for a few days)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nice to see smarmy oval office Watson isn't sat behind Jeremy sneering as usual.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

So you're saying that the current party of government would collapse into a tiny, toxic cabal of far-right nutters in a FPTP system, and this doesn't excite you? Remind me, how are UKIP doing right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Ratjaculation posted:

Let's delay a GE and let people suffer and starve for several more weeks to rub in in BJs face

yes i know a JC gov won't insta-fix everything

I expect JC to get his agenda done in five years. He can massively increase government spending at least a few weeks after the election. The more substantial legislation would take a few years.

Just think about it

For the first time in 45 years, the British government will actually be progressive.