Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Garfu posted:

Follow up comment from the rear end in a top hat sister:

Assuming this isn't fanfic we might actually be seeing someone in the midst of a genuine breakthrough :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Maybe I'm too soft but I really hope the sister can realize how wrong she's been and start trying to make it up to Paulie

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Problem Sleuth posted:

Maybe I'm too soft but I really hope the sister can realize how wrong she's been and start trying to make it up to Paulie

Being raised by narcissists can really gently caress with a person's ability to relate to others, I hope so too (she needs to be ok with accepting its too late though and that if Paulie forgives her it is PAULIES choice and she doesn't owe the OP anything)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It seems like the young brother is the only one that sees what's going on and has sympathized with Paulie, which means that kid is going to be okay.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jake owns. His reward should be performance enhancing supplements and martial arts lessons so he can gently caress the racists up harder next time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Schools are absolutely not equipped at all to handle "talk poo poo get hit" situations. It's time for Jake's parents to explain to him that authority figures are just another set of people trying to get through the day, and that sometimes the value of doing the right thing comes with a cost. He did the right thing and he got in trouble for it. Luckily, getting suspended means jack gently caress in the grand scheme.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Coredump posted:

He returned her stuff and cut contact so no? Seems like he’s doing what he needs to do just feels lovely about it which is understandable.

He's still looking for people to convince him not to leave. He may not be digging down, but he's certainly open to the idea.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hellblazer187 posted:

Jake owns. His reward should be performance enhancing supplements and martial arts lessons so he can gently caress the racists up harder next time.

antifa supersoldier, the early days

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Power Khan posted:

My (28F) strict Asian family disapproves of my non-Asian fiance (37M)
Relationships
I've been dating my boyfriend for about 3 years and have kept it a secret until very recently. Recently he proposed and I said yes. So I decided to finally break the news to my parents. I had a feeling they would not approve but I did not expect their reaction to be that bad. I knew growing up that they were extremely racist and closed-minded but I did not expect this kind of verbal abuse.

For some background, he's American and he works here in Taiwan. My parents have shown nothing but contempt for him and our relationship. Some what they said were:

He's not Asian. Your kids will be ugly. -- My reply: Mixed kids are some of the cutest and grow up to be very attractive

He's older than you. -- My reply: I'm an adult and he's an adult. We are in a consenting relationship and that's all that matters.

He doesn't make enough money -- My reply: I don't want to marry for money. I want to marry for love.

He's not tall. -- My reply: He is taller than the average Asian.

He just doesn't understand our culture -- My reply: You don't even try to understand his. And if this is "our culture" I want out of it.

If you don't break up, we will cut you out of our will -- My reply: I don't care. I believe I have found the love of my life.

You're a race traitor. -- My reply: There's only one race, the human race.

You are evil and selfish because you are marrying a non-Asian. -- My reply: You are selfish to not want me to be happy.

When my older brother got married to a white woman, they said nothing. They even bought him and his wife a car and a house in America. When it's my turn they've done nothing but insult me and threaten to cut me out of their life. My younger brother threatened to have the guy beaten up or even murdered.

My father went through the trouble of even tearing me out of all our family photos at home.

What should I do? If you have gone through a similar situation, could you please give some advice on how to handle it? I just want to stop stressing and feeling trapped.

tl;dr - My racist Asian family is enraged that I, the only daughter, don't want to marry an Asian man. They have put me through physical, verbal, and mental abuse and I need advice.

You got played, son. OP turned out to be a SECRET RACIST.

quote:

nightmareking001 2 points 12 hours ago
u/AntifaTaipei actually is a 37 year old white supremacist who really hates Asian people. He spends months of his life trolling reddit and getting people to hate Chinese/Asian people through disinformation and lies. He also pretends to be an Asian woman from time to time.
https://imgur.com/2Jq2Q2k
When I called him out for his racism, he deleted his comments and said they were photoshopped. No surprise this racist is also an idiot who doesn't know about ceddit.

1) https://imgur.com/ddBA578
https://np.reddit.com/r/Chinesetourists/comments/ckt6vj/not_strictly_about_tourists_but_still_interesting/
https://np.reddit.com/r/Chinesetourists/comments/ckt6vj/not_strictly_about_tourists_but_still_interesting/ew4gd28/
2) https://imgur.com/FJMZIZW
https://np.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/cmrmpb/western_academia_helps_build_chinas_automated/
How to view deleted comments: remove "np.r" and replace with "c"

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

christmas boots posted:

You got played, son. OP turned out to be a SECRET RACIST.

A secret racist? ON REDDIT?

Now I've heard everything.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

dudeness posted:

Typically they don't bother with the secret part.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

dudeness posted:

Look to your left, now look to your right.

Statistically speaking, both of those people are secret racists.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My (33) physically and mentally capable mother (62) has stopped adulting

quote:

My mom was the primary care taker for my brother and I for our childhoods and was a wonderful mom. She was loving and patient and is still my biggest cheerleader. She cooked, drove us to practices, and played with us and we knew her as adventurous and capable. This is a woman who traveled Europe solo in her early 20s and lived a full adult life for many years. She's educated and kind and had always been someone that I aspired to be like. Of course she had her faults as well, but they were things my parents tried to keep private. My mom was always bad with money but it would always be my dad to get the second job to pay things off if she spent too much. She didn't like cooking, so he would do most of it but she made up for it by doing the housework and the dishes. They tried to make things fair and equal.

Since I moved out my mom has steadily been giving up basic tasks for taking care of herself until now where she is almost completely reliant on other people to provide for her. She doesn't cook, clean, drive, and it's a miracle she has a job. I think it's more of a charity than anything. They had her working as a librarian but she 'can't' use the computer so they moved her into being a 'greeter'. She gets free meals with work and on the days she's off she gets sandwiches or take away because she 'can't cook'. She gave up her car when she moved to the city and now says she 'can't drive'. She also has a tiny dorm-style apartment that she doesn't need to clean.

When I was pregnant she came to stay and 'help' but I ended up making three meals a day, cleaning, and later doing diaper changes all while I was supposed to be on bedrest. She was more work than the baby and when we would try to make things easier by doing things like ordering pizza she still would ask how to heat up the leftovers and I'd have to get up and show her how the oven worked every single time. She 'couldn't' turn on the stove to make her own coffee in the mornings and I had to show her every morning for a month. I would ask her to help by running a load of laundry but she could never remember how it worked no matter how many times I showed her. Her 89 year old mother drives her around when she comes to visit.

There is absolutely nothing that makes her incapable of doing tasks that she did daily for over 50 years before other than a desire to have someone else do them for her because that's easier than doing it yourself. I've thought about dementia or depression but she seem to have any confusion or fogginess and she doesn't seem depressed. She's always motivated to do things like meet up with friends and is impeccable with taking care of her appearance. I've had a conversation with her about the fact that her not wanting to do something is not the inability to do something. It's selfish to say you 'can't' do something just because you don't want to do it. It doesn't mean that it doesn't get done, just that she's making someone else do the work.

I don't know what to do because she hasn't saved anything for retirement and I think that the church thinks they're helping someone who is truly in need by giving her an easy charity job and providing all her needs when in reality I think they're enabling her 'meh, someone else will do it for me' attitude. She's not so subtly dropped hints that she wants to come live with me and 'take care' of the kids but I know that it would be a nightmare trying to raise two young kids and my mom. She has a total lack of awareness of how much work she is and thinks that apologizing for not helping is equal to helping. She has made no plans for what to do when she actually is incapable of taking care of herself and I would feel to guilty to put her in a home or leave her on the streets. I've tried talking to her and she took it as a "You should try to push yourself out of your comfort zone." and not "Stop making other people do everything for you." I've also tried just refusing to help. In the last week of her stay I stopped making her coffee and told her if she wanted it badly enough she'd figure out how to work the stove; she didn't.

My husband tries really hard when she's here but she lies often and just creates stress on relationships. I get tired from having to do so much and he gets tired to come home after a long day of working and have to deal with her. She'll do things like leave the door open when she comes home, then lie and say it wasn't her so she 'doesn't get in trouble'. She has also lied about leaving choking hazards around the house that I found the toddler with. She lies in the same way a kid lies because she doesn't want us to get mad at her instead of just admitting blame and not doing it again. He had a really hard time having her here for a month; I can't imagine him being able to stomach having her here long term.

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone dealt with a situation similar to this that might be able to provide some insight?

TL;DR My mom has stopped taking care of herself and has no plan for the future. I'm worried I'll have to take care of her and am afraid of the stress it'll put on my life.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

cumshitter posted:

I don't think Mom is all there anymore

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Help, my mom is showings signs of dementia and I, a person who is not a brain doctor, am sure she's faking it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

cumshitter posted:

early dementia?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

This kid was losing his vision and suffering a host of other medical problems and the doctors going "Is there anything you can tell us" had him shrug and shake his head for years before he finally admitted his diet of pringles, french fries, ham, and sausage.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My boyfriend (28M) has decided to learn my (23F) native language. He has decided he is better than me and wants me to relearn it and refuses to drop it. Please help.

quote:

Hello reddit,

I have a really strange problem and I was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer. To be quite honest, I am stuck. Despite it being a unique situation, I’d like to keep some details private.

I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years and recently he has decided to learn my native tongue.I have spent my childhood and the beginning of my teen years in my home country and the rest in the UK. I like to think I am great at both of my ‘native’ languages.

He started learning it about 3 months ago and he has an okay grasp at the language, but not great as he is still a beginner and my language isn’t easy. He has recently taken the jump from reading to practicing light conversation. Admittedly, his pronunciation isn't the best and this is where the problem begins. I'd like to state that I think his pronunciation is okay for his learning level, but that isn't the problem.

The problem is that he thinks that my grasp of my language has deteriorated and that he knows how to pronounce words much better than I do. He has started to interrupt my phone calls with friends and family saying that I have mispronounced a word and I should be saying it what he thinks is the correct way instead. When I take him to my parents' flat, he also has started to tell my family to their faces, that their pronunciation is wrong...

He also had decided that he will get into my culture more and has started to try and have more of my cuisine too. As people from all over the world may know, different families have different takes on 'authentic' dishes right? Well, not according to him. He has told me that a dish I was making for myself was wrong. He has told my mother that her take on a certain dish was okay but not great, because it was missing what he considered to be the true version of something.

Despite being from a strict culture, my parents have been nothing but accepting of him from the beginning and have enjoyed his company up until this point. Ever since he has started to trying to "help" my family, friends and myself "relearn" the language with him, my parents refuse to speak with him until he apologises for being disrespectful to them and to me. I don't think my mum is fully over the food incident either. :(

Anyway, before this gets too long... he has never really been like this? I don't really know what to even say. I have told him on multiple occasions since then that he has to remember that there are different accents and that native speakers speak a more 'rushed' version of the language and that if he wants, I can help him with pronunciation but he told me that mine is wrong, his app is correct, that I am out of practice and that he loves me, but because he is newer to the language, his ear for it is more fresh than mine... whatever that means.

I'm considering actually splitting over this, lol. He has been so rude to me and my friends and my family. He refuses to listen to actual natives and keeps telling me that everything I say or do is wrong.

TL;DR: My boyfriend has started to learn my language but he also wants me to relearn it because he thinks he has an ear for the language as a beginner... he has told me, my friends and my family that our pronunciation is wrong as well as other nitpicks at our culture. Refuses to listen and relationship is rapidly crumbling...

Please help and thank you for reading.

In the comments she reveals the language is Gaelic

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"doesn't seem to have any confusion or fogginess" but has to be shown how to run the oven, stove, or laundry machine repeatedly for a month

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

cumshitter posted:

My boyfriend (28M) has decided to learn my (23F) native language. He has decided he is better than me and wants me to relearn it and refuses to drop it. Please help.

Lol Jesus. There isn’t even one standard pronunciation for a lot of words

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

Were you searching for "gay lick" and autocorrect hosed it up?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

cumshitter posted:

Welp, sending this to all my linguistics buddies.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

cumshitter posted:

God, grant me the confidence of idiots.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

goethe.cx posted:

i don't know if pregnant women need to live in fear of that but it does happen. this story is pretty wild: https://nypost.com/2011/01/20/woman-abducted-as-an-infant-from-harlem-hospital-reunites-with-parents/

tl;dr: a woman posing as a nurse stole a newborn baby from a new york hospital and raised her as her own child for 23 years

also, the biological parents kept a trust fund for the child and one of the attorneys handling the case was skimming funds from it

a woman was murdered for her baby in Chicago just this year

https://abc7chicago.com/3-suspects-in-murder-of-pregnant-chicago-woman-appear-in-court/5418719/

neither the mother or the baby survived :smith:

and there's a reason lots of hospitals have a Hugs system in place to track all newborns an initiate a lockdown if they're brought out of the ward.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cumshitter posted:

Gaelic is a language without rules

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

brugroffil posted:

a woman was murdered for her baby in Chicago just this year

https://abc7chicago.com/3-suspects-in-murder-of-pregnant-chicago-woman-appear-in-court/5418719/

neither the mother or the baby survived :smith:

and there's a reason lots of hospitals have a Hugs system in place to track all newborns an initiate a lockdown if they're brought out of the ward.

Babies make people a special kind of crazy. Both our kids had the ankle monitors in the hospital and I'm glad.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

cumshitter posted:

loving fantastic. Lmao. Correcting the parents. Can you loving imagine?

His step parents should ground him lmao.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

cumshitter posted:

Rather predictably the language is actually Japanese. Why would you think Gaelic?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

Rather predictably the language is actually Japanese. Why would you think Gaelic?

I lied because I thought it was funny.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Aramoro posted:

My guess was instinctively Chinese between "strict culture" and "hard to learn", Japanese is almost disappointing

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I was betting on Italian

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

TheKennedys posted:

My guess was instinctively Chinese between "strict culture" and "hard to learn", Japanese is almost disappointing

Chinese is surprisingly easy for English speakers once you get past the writing system. Japanese is a lot harder because its grammar is hosed

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for insisting that a bouncer elaborates more?

Last evening I had a few drinks with some friends and decided to go to a club to join some other friends. Arriving at the door the bouncer asks for my iD, I give it then the other bouncer notices a hole in my shoe then says I can't come in because of the hole in my shoe because it is a "security risk". I ask in what way is it a security risk - no answer besides "just leave". I insist for an actual reason ans the bouncer grabs me by arm and chucks me to floor, I get up continue asking "what the hell?". The bouncer starts pushing me away so I just ended up leaving.

Firstly I'm fairly sure a bouncer can't be violent except in self defense and secondly a hole in a shoe isn't a reason, even less so if they don't explain why it is.

I was at best tipsy so no I wasn't too drunk.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for wanting a clear explanation? Does anyone have an explanation to why it can be a security risk?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

DemoneeHo posted:

Mu Son (12/M) punched classmate in the face for derogatory comments and doesn’t want to apologize. Not sure exactly how to proceed?

lol violence is 100% the correct answer here

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not giving my daughter money for school lunch?

My daughter is 12, and just started her last year of middle school. Already even though she's only been in school for a week and a half, we're having an issue that we had last year as well.

I prepare all of my daughter's lunches, or I will prep several ingredients for things and she can sort of assemble her own lunch. They're healthy, nutritious, and never made up of things she doesn't like. But towards the end of last year and now she has been basically throwing a fit once a week about how she's tired of having her own lunch and she wants to buy lunch. I looked into the school's lunch program, and while it's not as good as a homemade meal, her school has many lunch programs you can sign your kid up for including one that is pretty dang diverse and healthy. I told her I was fine with signing her up for the lunch program if she'd like.

Nope. She wants to have some extra money so she can buy junk and she claims that there is a huge culture of trading food and no one wants hers and she feels left out when everyone else has pizza. The school has little separate kiosks for junk food that are open at various points in the week, and I know if I gave her money for the whole week, she'd just eat that stuff or get candy from the school shop. I told her if she wants a little extra money she can do some more around the house, then use that for pizza or something once or twice a week, but that if she does that *we probably won't go out as a family for fast food on the weekends (not that we do much now already). She'd still be free to eat whatever snacks she buys, go out to eat with friends (which I usually pay for so she doesn't spend her own money to be social), etc. No go.

She gets money for grade improvements or anytime she learns a new skill, and she also has a "snack allowance" if she goes to the store with her mother or me, where basically in exchange for being useful at the grocery store, she has a set amount of money out of the grocery budget for the week just for snacks for herself. We do "tax" unhealthy snacks a bit more so she doesn't blow it all on candy or something. Point is, she COULD use her own money though I still wouldn't allow it daily.

I also asked my older child who went to the same middle school and was there with her for his last year and her first if he's ever noticed any bullying of her about this stuff. I don't trust him to be observant enough to know if she's being bullied, but he said no one cares what other people are eating and he doesn't know of anyone getting bullied for snacks. He also mentioned that when he was there, if she had a problem with someone, she came to him and she never mentioned anything about snacks. Of course, that was only the first year, and she started complaining the second year so who knows.

It's also worth noting that my daughter does not LIKE fast food for the most part, and so this is very socially motivated for her and not food motivated for her.

Her mother disagrees with me and is worried I'm going to give her an eating disorder, but I feel like if the only eating disorder I give my kid is one where she know how to make healthy, nutritious meals, then I'm fine with that. Even if she pushes back and eats unhealthily in college or something, at least she'll have good habits and the know how to get it back if she needs. AITA?

Edit: a lot of focus on the "tax" at the grocery store. First, it's not an actual tax, which is why I put it in quotation marks. It's more like, we say "you can get approximately $X worth of snacks while we're here, but if it's only candy/processed food, then you can only spend ($X-$5) or whatever. Or if she comes back with only a a tub of ice cream, a giant bag of candy and a giant bag of chips, we might tell her to put one back and not eat it all in one sitting, and next time we go shopping, just grab her some healthier stuff we know she likes. We don't even give her any money in these scenarios, nor make it an exact amount she can spend and certainly don't make her count it back to us or take the money back as an actual tax. Most times we don't even bring it up since we she usually gets a good mixture of snacks with a treat or two.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

Chinese could kind of make sense in that she might have a strong regional accent verging on dialect and he's learning standard Beijing Mandarin. Like he'd still be a total rear end but in a slightly different way.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

cumshitter posted:

Have we found the Ultimate Mansplainer?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for purposely catching my fiance masturbating?

For reference, he almost never wants to have sex and we have tried alarms,talking about it, etc. He masturbates 3/4 times a week and we recently talked about him cutting down to once a week to see if it improves his libido towards me.

I left for work,forgot something and came back in. He was still in the shower which is unusual for him, so I guess I spied on him. i listened outside the door and heard the literal fap noise and bursted in. I was just home. I wanted to have sex. drat this stings.

Sooo am I the rear end in a top hat for interrupting him I guess.

Edited for more info: Weve been having open communication about this for more than six months. He has been continuously masturbating instead of having sex. I am very sex positive and believe masturbating is normal and healthy. After trying a multitude of ways to improve his desire to have sex, this was brought up last week as a possible thing to try, logic being that he is releasing his sexual energy without me and so doesnt feel the need to have sex when we are together. It feels like we just had this discussion and already he is going back on his word and not trying. I do feel terribly guilty about bursting in now. This issue is making me crazy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for insisting that a bouncer elaborates more?

Last evening I had a few drinks with some friends and decided to go to a club to join some other friends. Arriving at the door the bouncer asks for my iD, I give it then the other bouncer notices a hole in my shoe then says I can't come in because of the hole in my shoe because it is a "security risk". I ask in what way is it a security risk - no answer besides "just leave". I insist for an actual reason ans the bouncer grabs me by arm and chucks me to floor, I get up continue asking "what the hell?". The bouncer starts pushing me away so I just ended up leaving.

Firstly I'm fairly sure a bouncer can't be violent except in self defense and secondly a hole in a shoe isn't a reason, even less so if they don't explain why it is.

I was at best tipsy so no I wasn't too drunk.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for wanting a clear explanation? Does anyone have an explanation to why it can be a security risk?

Unreliable drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not giving my daughter money for school lunch?

If there's one thing tween and teenage kids respond well to it's being denied one of the few areas of their life where they can make a choice for reasons that are only comprehensible to the adult authority figures around them.