Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so....what comes after this shitshow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Presumably another shitshow tomorrow?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1168998323245785088

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doccykins posted:

Nicky Morgan has resigned her chair post so sounds like that's BSJ's first cabinet casualty

PM has nothing to do with select committee appointments. Morgan resigned from the select committee so she can now take up her place as DCMS Secretary, which is a cabinet position.

sexpig by night posted:

poo poo shows all the way down.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Only 2 Lab Noes?

That is pretty good. I know it will be Hoey, but who do you think the other one is?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
UKMT September 2019 - 'Not a good start Boris!'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

loving lolling at this result, eat poo poo alexander boris de pfeffel johnson you loving piece of poo poo

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Only 2 Lab Noes?

That is pretty good. I know it will be Hoey, but who do you think the other one is?

It's John Mann

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
So the Conservatives just lost 21 seats?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I don't always like John Crace, but when he's on form;

quote:

“We are on the verge of taking back control,” Johnson began. Just as Tory MP Phillip Lee rose from the Tory benches and crossed the floor of the house to join the Lib Dems. In that moment the Tories had lost their majority. Taking back control now looked rather like losing it completely. The crown had just got even more hollow.

Boris tried to make light of it. To carry on making a few weak gags that drew no laughter. To treat the occasion as if it was just another night out at the Oxford Union. But slowly it dawned on him that the Age of Entitlement had passed. He just wasn’t up to the job he’d always believed to be his birthright.

Being prime minister required more than arrogance and bullshit. More than a quick read of Game Theory for Dommies. It involved both clarity of thought and responsibility. Neither of which had ever been his strong suit. He mumbled and bumbled, waving his arms at random. Even his own front bench looked embarrassed when he started accusing the opposition and Tory rebels of being collaborators.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/03/clown-prince-johnson-cowers-in-the-face-of-the-rebel-alliance

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Josef bugman posted:

Only 2 Lab Noes?

John Mann.

They list them under the table.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Is that 21 Tory rebels I count?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Josef bugman posted:

Only 2 Lab Noes?

Mann but I read it on the website so it's cheating

Interestingly Field voted Aye, he may be a libertarian poo poo but I guess he's at least not a dogmatic bigot.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I don't think they have the balls to remove the whip on that many lol

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

PM has nothing to do with select committee appointments. Morgan resigned from the select committee so she can now take up her place as DCMS Secretary, which is a cabinet position.

Ah yes she did vote with Govt in the end;

Kate Hoey and John Mann voting with the government ofc

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Chuka Umana posted:

So the Conservatives just lost 21 seats?

No. They sort of kind of keep the seats, but without the whip so essentially you've got an additional 21 independent-ish MPs who are now free to do as they wish. They'll still vote tory 95% but the Brexit stuff is all ???

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Doccykins posted:

Lol at Rory not having a picture

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Wait, Nicolas Soames is getting kicked out for not being Tory enough?
what the gently caress

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Junior G-man posted:

No. They sort of kind of keep the seats, but without the whip so essentially you've got an additional 21 independent-ish MPs who are now free to do as they wish. They'll still vote tory 95% but the Brexit stuff is all ???

It's not as if there's any other normal government business going on for them to vote for

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's John Mann

Oh Gods that prize winning muppet.

He's not long for the party is he, do you think?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sexpig by night posted:

MPs now have control of the agenda tomorrow, so they're gonna table a bill to block no deal. So there'll be another vote that needs to be won...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

John Mann.

They list them under the table.

Kevin Barron & Derek Twigg both abstained (as did former Labour MPs Woodcock, Williamson, O'Mara & Hopkins)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Out of interest, is JC in a league of his own for winning the most defeats against the Government whilst in opposition?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm still pretty dubious that we can get a GE through. But we might get another short delay request maybe?

Anyone know if the EU is likely to tell us to go gently caress ourselves if we do?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

It's not as if there's any other normal government business going on for them to vote for

I dunno I caught some tail end bits of Bercow announcing a committee on water or some poo poo as the next point on the agenda. But essentially, no there's not.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Junior G-man posted:

this is assuming that Boris follows through on his threat to sack them all, which was already being walked back even before the vote

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stewart the best looking one of the bunch

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

feedmegin posted:

More like 15?

Niric posted:

Half that: any rebels count as -1 Noes AND +1 to the Ayes, so it's around 14 or so rebels

Okay well in my defence I'm a girl now and I have to live up to stereotypes like "bad at maths" if I'm going to be accepted :negative:

Even so 21 Tory rebels is far far more than I expected, I thought we'd be very lucky if we got 10 and I was crossing my fingers that we'd squeak this through with a majority of like three.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Not sure why I find it so funny that May voted alongside the government.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
ahahahaha cowards

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Johnson's already had the quickest by election loss of any PM, I wonder if this adds the quickest defeat in the house.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

Lol at Rory not having a picture

they kept mysteriously rotating 15% anti-clockwise

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Doccykins posted:

Rory doesn't get a picture? But we have the perfect picture for them to use!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ratjaculation posted:

Out of interest, is JC in a league of his own for winning the most defeats against the Government whilst in opposition?

Just looking at the list of defeats I think Ted Heath and Thatcher might have him beat just.

Doccykins posted:

ahahahaha cowards

loving cowards lmao

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Kevin Barron & Derek Twigg both abstained (as did former Labour MPs Woodcock, Williamson, O'Mara & Hopkins)

Also Ian Austin.

Ratjaculation posted:

I'd be pretty surprised if anyone else has inflicted this many defeats, and certainly this is the first time in more than 120 years that a first bill has been defeated if that post from probably 3 pages back is right.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm still pretty dubious that we can get a GE through. But we might get another short delay request maybe?

Anyone know if the EU is likely to tell us to go gently caress ourselves if we do?

The EU's only gonna grant it if they think that yet-another-election has a reasonable chance of materially affecting the outcome of the negotiations. In the current circumstance the BoJo government is never going to ask for more time and the EU would probably refuse him if he did, seeing as he's terminally damaged goods and they haven't trusted him for 25 years.

You need a GE and then double quick send a polite note to the EU, that'll probably do it. But you're gonna have to put something on the table as to where you wanna go; Norway/EEA/Canada whatever but it's gotta be better for the EU than Chequers. So it probably involves freedom of movement. Otherwise Barnier's gonna point at the clock and say sign here or gently caress off.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Oh Gods that prize winning muppet.

He's not long for the party is he, do you think?

He's not planning to quit, and Labour aren't going to lose Basstlaw, a seat they've held since Ramsay MacDonald's son Malcolm defected with his dad in '31. So no, I suspect we'll be stuck with him for the forseeable future. Until conference is able to pass a motion allowed his CLP to punt him

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

this is assuming that Boris follows through on his threat to sack them all, which was already being walked back even before the vote

Doccykins posted:

ahahahaha cowards

yeeeeeah called it

turns out that Boris's spine is just as absent as the rest of the party's

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Doccykins posted:

ahahahaha cowards

lmao that's weak af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU