Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

TheAgent posted:

I'm not even going to "hello" this because its p sketch, but someone has been very, very, very, VERY adamant that parts of the latest citcon demos are done with a different engine other than lumberyard/cryengine

this person was right in the past about a few things (I know the criminal gameplay thing was one, I think the animation/AI problems were others) and I don't think they work there anymore but this is so loving hilarious to me that I can barely believe it

sorry to interrupt the thread flashbacks, please continue

1. Switch engine.
2. Fire every employees working on Cryengine/Lumberyard.
3. Hire more fresh out of college slaves devs you underpay.
4. Reduce mostly cost of operation thanks to the previous step.
5. PLEDGE MORE.

No but seriously, let's entertain the idea. I'm illiterate when it comes to developing a game: could a good part of the 3D assets at least be salvaged and moved to a new engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Megalobster posted:

No but seriously, let's entertain the idea. I'm illiterate when it comes to developing a game: could a good part of the 3D assets at least be salvaged and moved to a new engine?

The important thing is will Miles Eckhart's many jacket's be preserved?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Megalobster posted:

I'm illiterate when it comes to developing a game: could a good part of the 3D assets at least be salvaged and moved to a new engine?

Sounds like you'd fit right in at CIG.

I don't know the answer to your question, but it does make a very nice takeoff ramp for this: they have been telling us for years how they had CryEngine's number. They had hired all the CryEngine experts, and had them craft something so perfectly suited to Star Citizen that they gave it a new name: Star Engine. Star. Engine. Backers talked about how this amazing engine technology would be coveted by other game developers. Amazon might buy the company, just to get their hands on it. This was technology that had never been done before, and was worth a mint. It was the very fount of the innovation that makes CI(G) so advanced.

Wouldn't want to be the PR person who has to explain that Star Engine actually sucks balls and you can't build Star Citizen on it and Unreal would be a whole lot better.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

"I'm really enjoying a game. Would I enjoy a not-game?"

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

I'm not even going to "hello" this because its p sketch, but someone has been very, very, very, VERY adamant that parts of the latest citcon demos are done with a different engine other than lumberyard/cryengine

this person was right in the past about a few things (I know the criminal gameplay thing was one, I think the animation/AI problems were others) and I don't think they work there anymore but this is so loving hilarious to me that I can barely believe it

sorry to interrupt the thread flashbacks, please continue

That would be just too perfect, because you'd be able to tell right away if they were using something like UE4.

An engine switch in year 7 would be the best the comedy we could hope for at this point.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Most open development ever!

Most mature community ever!

Tane

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

The important thing is will Miles Eckhart's many jacket's be preserved?

The outer four will, other than that who knows...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You'd think FIDELITY enthusiasts would be all over Cyberpunk. Instead they trash it for having insufficient scope. Maybe they are just confused when the whole screen doesnt zoom in.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

I really love that old image of Chris showing how every dollar he "crowdfunded" would be worth four times as much as a publisher dollar because most of it would go towards development instead of overhead. Now 8 years in we're seeing that not only is there enormous amount of overhead for an upstart brand new company, we're seeing that the money only goes a fraction of the distance as with a publisher because you're working with rank amateurs that have to redo everything because they're being micromanaged by an egomaniac that's been out of the industry for decades.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Megalobster posted:

I took a really quick look at how you get 3D models inside Cryengine. It seems like you are able to import usual 3D file formats, for example, .fbx from 3D software such as Maya or 3DSMax. They are then converted into .cgf files which stands for cryengine geometry format. All 2D maps, like textures are imported as .tif, which is usable in other engines. If they have the original work files available from 3D software, getting the models into another engine shouldn't be a problem. Same with textures. Although I am not sure if the up to date art asset pipeline doc I read is applicable to their version of the engine, as there might have been changes. Most likely they have also tinkered away in Cryengine itself, so possibly translating that work into another engine might take time and effort. In the end I do not know poo poo about Cryengine so I can't give a full answer.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Megalobster posted:

If you used normal dev practices and poo poo there's not really anything stopping you from moving the models from one engine to another. It's not free cause every one has it's quirks and you have to work with a different set of quirks. Getting the shaders to behave _exactly_ the same way may take some work but lifting the art assets is probably the least of their engine switch concerns.

That's assuming they haven't done something colossally dumb in their asset pipelines though so in reality who the gently caress knows

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Strangler 42 posted:

I really love that old image of Chris showing how every dollar he "crowdfunded" would be worth four times as much as a publisher dollar because most of it would go towards development instead of overhead. Now 8 years in we're seeing that not only is there enormous amount of overhead for an upstart brand new company, we're seeing that the money only goes a fraction of the distance as with a publisher because you're working with rank amateurs that have to redo everything because they're being micromanaged by an egomaniac that's been out of the industry for decades.

Yes, but he is getting paid four times more than a publisher would pay him!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
honestly, most of the work is just models at this point. they'd be loving stupid not to switch. UE4 can handle things far better than the branch of CE they are using

since their "procedural generation" tools amount to height map terrain scattering stuff found in games earlier than EQ1, nothing there is lost. 64 bit precision would be a lot easier too. same with their "physical grids" or whatever the gently caress they are calling them, that don't have actually any physics in them (like if you park your ship upside down, you still stand upside up, and if you open the cargo door you just do flips from upside down to right side up lol) would be loving easier

I mean, everything would be easier and have more "fidelity" in UE4. every goddamn thing

what won't ever be easier is solving the loving "lets have 500 players have a battle in low orbit, including ground, air and space vehicles loading with projectile weapons"

stadia could be a way for them to offload that for a time, because lol if you think loving AWS is going to handle that poo poo seamlessly

just loving lol

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Where's Santaball on the roadmap?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
like have them loving call me when they can get more players in a server than a loving call of duty map

goddamn

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
noclip physics, the ssocs bs, fake 64bit, the tiny models fighting for z, hosed up procedural textures and geometry etc..?
sure elevators and doors might work out of the box, but the rest...they have to redo every loving thing from scratch.
good for them that 97% percent of the game is jpegs and fmvs.

but at this point maybe it is not outside the realm of possibility for them to test the waters with a demo;
citcon would be the time and the place.

- "hey we also took a week to test ue4" ( 6 months really ) "here is a demo. what do you think? ( helmet flip )"
- W O W ( shut up and take my money )
- edit: sandi cries

Nellistos fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 4, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

TheAgent posted:

like have them loving call me when they can get more players in a server than a loving call of duty map

goddamn

Just imagine the geometric growth of bugs that would occur. It would be like Inception for game development, you just keep falling into new layers of fuckery until you aren't sure where the issue begins or ends.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I have dumb Kazan story I would like to memorialize.
Without offering the full doxx I admit to living in the same area as That Kazan. Once I was using the laptop we use as the family computer, its an old Toughbook. Nobody logs into anything with this computer, so it doesn't know any of us from logins. Basically, its a generic recipe and youtube computer for my wife and daughter.

While working in the kitchen one day I checked the front page of reddit. No user was logged in but reddit recognized my IP and offered the /r/seattle on the page I was viewing. This very day had been a day of some local news, a highway shooting, and I viewed the front page mega-thread about it. I had read a few top comments and I found a reply that struck me as plain odd. This was a reply to a top comment, not an actual top comment. This comment reply was so odd and out of place to the topic, with a twist of WTF ( I honestly don't recall the exact comment, but it was nuts) but I immediately asked myself "who would write such a thing". Luckily reddit offers the answer. I saw that this odd comment was made by a reddit user named Kazan. I literally had that eye rub moment to double check the commenters name. I even clicked the commenters name to check the history. I stood there wondering who the hell would comment such a thing and I found myself actually enunciating the actual words "oh, it is That Kazan". It all made sense.

after this I was convinced that the "That" moniker for Mr. Kazen was a public service. The guy is certifiable, and I am sure that other Kazans appreciate the distance they hold from him.

I do wonder about this local Kazan.

My stories suck but Kazan is pure idiot gold.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

honestly, most of the work is just models at this point. they'd be loving stupid not to switch. UE4 can handle things far better than the branch of CE they are using

since their "procedural generation" tools amount to height map terrain scattering stuff found in games earlier than EQ1, nothing there is lost. 64 bit precision would be a lot easier too. same with their "physical grids" or whatever the gently caress they are calling them, that don't have actually any physics in them (like if you park your ship upside down, you still stand upside up, and if you open the cargo door you just do flips from upside down to right side up lol) would be loving easier

I mean, everything would be easier and have more "fidelity" in UE4. every goddamn thing

what won't ever be easier is solving the loving "lets have 500 players have a battle in low orbit, including ground, air and space vehicles loading with projectile weapons"

stadia could be a way for them to offload that for a time, because lol if you think loving AWS is going to handle that poo poo seamlessly

just loving lol

You're doing that thing we sometimes do in this thread, where CIG hints at the beginnings of what might possibly be the end of a seven year string of bad decisions, and we start projecting what it would look like if they made good decisions.

Even if they ditched everything at the start of this year for a sprint towards Unreal, and I really doubt they did given that there's been any development at all still ongoing for CryEngine, it would mean a company that has barely been able to assemble a mod after seven years would be starting from scratch. No matter how much easier a new engine would be, this company couldn't develop for it. We know this because outside contractors literally wrote entire game modes for them and they still hosed it up.

Far more likely is that they're just now trying to panic-swap because Amazon doesn't give a poo poo about supporting them, and CryTek is probably going to win their lawsuit, and they will lie to backers about it as long as possible while using the "Staggered Development" excuse to put out literally nothing except art assets for the next 9 months.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Has anybody checked the job postings? Do they suddenly need more programmers more familiar with different engines?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Sarsapariller posted:

You're doing that thing we sometimes do in this thread, where CIG hints at the beginnings of what might possibly be the end of a seven year string of bad decisions, and we start projecting what it would look like if they made good decisions.

Even if they ditched everything at the start of this year for a sprint towards Unreal, and I really doubt they did given that there's been any development at all still ongoing for CryEngine, it would mean a company that has barely been able to assemble a mod after seven years would be starting from scratch. No matter how much easier a new engine would be, this company couldn't develop for it. We know this because outside contractors literally wrote entire game modes for them and they still hosed it up.

Far more likely is that they're just now trying to panic-swap because Amazon doesn't give a poo poo about supporting them, and CryTek is probably going to win their lawsuit, and they will lie to backers about it as long as possible while using the "Staggered Development" excuse to put out literally nothing except art assets for the next 9 months.

Also will all the magic Germans help them?
Do the magic Germans know UE4 or Unity?
Are the magic Germans staggered that there is any development?

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish
Surprised I got a response from the Junior level designer for SQ42...

https://twitter.com/repools/status/1168919514957918210
https://twitter.com/hey_mici/status/1168985573366861826
https://twitter.com/repools/status/1168988572780834821
https://twitter.com/repools/status/1168990016359587840
https://twitter.com/repools/status/1168991093079379974

rePool fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 4, 2019

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

EmesiS posted:

I have dumb Kazan story I would like to memorialize.
Without offering the full doxx I admit to living in the same area as That Kazan. Once I was using the laptop we use as the family computer, its an old Toughbook. Nobody logs into anything with this computer, so it doesn't know any of us from logins. Basically, its a generic recipe and youtube computer for my wife and daughter.

While working in the kitchen one day I checked the front page of reddit. No user was logged in but reddit recognized my IP and offered the /r/seattle on the page I was viewing. This very day had been a day of some local news, a highway shooting, and I viewed the front page mega-thread about it. I had read a few top comments and I found a reply that struck me as plain odd. This was a reply to a top comment, not an actual top comment. This comment reply was so odd and out of place to the topic, with a twist of WTF ( I honestly don't recall the exact comment, but it was nuts) but I immediately asked myself "who would write such a thing". Luckily reddit offers the answer. I saw that this odd comment was made by a reddit user named Kazan. I literally had that eye rub moment to double check the commenters name. I even clicked the commenters name to check the history. I stood there wondering who the hell would comment such a thing and I found myself actually enunciating the actual words "oh, it is That Kazan". It all made sense.

after this I was convinced that the "That" moniker for Mr. Kazen was a public service. The guy is certifiable, and I am sure that other Kazans appreciate the distance they hold from him.

I do wonder about this local Kazan.

My stories suck but Kazan is pure idiot gold.

It is said that the true That Kazan can be identified by the beard of his neck, and the excellence of his config files. But the Elect know that That Kazan will have many waifus clinging to him, crying out "we are not mere pillows! Take us rock climbing!" By this sign may he be known.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1169055461657608192

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Relic really weirds me out. You would 100% believe its a marketing account but it's an actual obsessed backer who I seriously believe loves CIG.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

I mean, not to toot to hard on my own horn, but I could have this entire mess out within less than 24 months, even with a severe engine change

I'd just cut like 70% of the poo poo they've already sold backers lol

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

TheAgent posted:

I mean, not to toot to hard on my own horn, but I could have this entire mess out within less than 24 months, even with a severe engine change

I'd just cut like 70% of the poo poo they've already sold backers lol

Is it too late to vote for you to be Chris's replacement?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

holy gently caress that was a lot of probations. I'm not doing any more unless I legit missed you during the last five pages or whatever, so thanks for playing if you got one!

Also big thanks to everyone posting their shops and stuff, make sure to quote into the new thread when it goes up!

e: scratch that, I'm not doing any more. They're a pain in the rear end and they make the leper's colony unreadable lol

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 4, 2019

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
I never did figure out how to disable reddit and twitter notifications in this thread

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Star Citizen goes on forever and never comes out

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I forgot how far down the rabbit hole I had gone before I saw the light. $1550. That's goddamned retarded. Can I get another probation for having ever been so goddamned gullible? I feel I've earned it, Beet.

On the subject of memes over the years, these were my humble contributions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001ZIKlGJrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws2kzfaj0zk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0s7vd07ago

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

rePool posted:

Relic really weirds me out. You would 100% believe its a marketing account but it's an actual obsessed backer who I seriously believe loves CIG.

His AV's hair weirds me out...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok you assholes, I know at least one of you saved the Kung Fury Derek video, Cough it up! I need it.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

I hope Star Citizen goes on forever and never comes out

That is the best of all possible outcomes. Oh, to be there when some backer says "Do you know how long it took them to finish the Hundred Years War?!? Maybe you should take a break for a few decades."

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

just loving lol

No matter how you "offload" the work to AWS, its not going to magically happen. You still need servers and code running to be authoritative. If stuff is as bad as it is now, there's no magic patch that will save them going forward.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

No matter how you "offload" the work to AWS, its not going to magically happen. You still need servers and code running to be authoritative. If stuff is as bad as it is now, there's no magic patch that will save them going forward.

Yes it will! Just give me 200 million dollars without any strings attached and I'll build a company from the ground up to fix that triviality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I've suspected for a while that they're working on a new/different engine in secret, and will announce it once they have most of the old features working on it. But that's purely a hunch based on how many people they have working there, and how slowly engine features are being dripped out. Though the more likely reality is that Chris and CIG are just incompetent.