Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ojo posted:

I just saw someone on Facebook say that they support Johnson because "he's a down to earth guy!" and my mind is completely blown. How does anyone believe that?

Same way Trump is a "man of the people" as he's making GBS threads into a gold toilet.

these people are morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ojo posted:

I just saw someone on Facebook say that they support Johnson because "he's a down to earth guy!" and my mind is completely blown. How does anyone believe that?

It's been his shtick for probably 15 years. If it didn't work he'd have done something different.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Once more Labor will rule the galaxy.

Corbyn after tonight’s vote: I love democracy

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ojo posted:

bozza legerrrrnd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WJuejPFxF0

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

https://twitter.com/steamedhamms/status/1168961358848806912?s=21

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ojo posted:

Last thing on FB this afternoon was a friend who claimed to be a lifelong labour supporter, but who is a no dealer, saying he would rather 5 years of Johnson than have a Corbyn government because Corbyn will destroy Britain (hello - is Britain being destroyed as we speak?) Then the claims that deals were an invention of remoaners which I've seen quite a few make.

Another friend contradicted him by posting a link to a Vote Leave document from before the referendum showing quite clearly that Vote Leave were talking about deals before the referendum. Haven't checked the reaction to this yet.

Been far too exciting on here tonight! And a big thanks to those who put themselves through watching the live action and report back because I can't bear to!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ojo posted:

I mean he is demonstrably very stupid, that's relatable for some people :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

drat I didn't know there was a Twitter: Live! show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWURk8Bo5bY

Ash calling people out left and right, and Jeremy Vine made a face

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Last thing on FB this afternoon was a friend who claimed to be a lifelong labour supporter, but who is a no dealer, saying he would rather 5 years of Johnson than have a Corbyn government because Corbyn will destroy Britain (hello - is Britain being destroyed as we speak?)

Maybe I'm just drawing a blank here, but since any prospective Corbyn caretaker government majority would presumably be razor-thin (given the number of people both within and outside Labour who are loudly skeptical of the concept), what exactly is it that he would be able to get majority support for that would Destroy Britain[tm] without umpteen MPs doing to him what happened to Boris today?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

baka kaba posted:

drat I didn't know there was a Twitter: Live! show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWURk8Bo5bY

Ash calling people out left and right, and Jeremy Vine made a face

Lmao just calling out chuka to his face, Ash is fuckin great.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
It’s more likely we are going to see a Con-Lib-DUP coalition

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

It’s more likely we are going to see a Con-Lib-DUP coalition

That's fine, it'll ruin all three of them :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I just caught up.

:lol:

Ah, someone with true taste in waking hours :v:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Sleep is for the weak.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am in favour of sleep but I do not intend to simply allow boris johnson to tell me when I will sleep, I will sleep at a time that is convenient for me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I am in favour of sleep but I do not intend to simply allow boris johnson to tell me when I will sleep, I will sleep at a time that is convenient for me.

I am sure he will oblige and will continue melting down 24/7.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ms Adequate posted:

Ah, someone with true taste in waking hours :v:

Being awake at night is just nicer, somehow. Definitely makes me feel more at ease. Not good for interacting with the outside world, but that's something I only have the energy for a couple of times a week anyway.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Night owls of the UKMT represent!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Early mornings are great for retail cos only the weirdos are waiting at six for the store to open.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, as someone who isn't 100% tuned in to this side of the pond, what exactly happened that caused such a rebellion? I thought there wasn't much hope of anything getting passed before the deadline?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Roluth posted:

So, as someone who isn't 100% tuned in to this side of the pond, what exactly happened that caused such a rebellion? I thought there wasn't much hope of anything getting passed before the deadline?

Not a single person seriously expected 21 conservatives to actually grow a loving spine and put their jobs on the line.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Mebh posted:

Night owls of the UKMT represent!

WHERE IS MY NIGHT TUBE?????

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ratjaculation posted:

Can't really call this a brilliant Labour long play superplan

Its like everyone saying the England football team won an incredible match, when their opponents are all useless jellyfish spread across a pitch

This is a common take but like, the government wouldn't be in such shambles without a strong opposition that they're clearly making GBS threads themselves about, and they wouldn't be anywhere near to the situation they've found themselves in unless Corbz destroyed their majority in 2017.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roluth posted:

Essentially, as repeatedly happens whenever Boris actually fails into any position of power, everyone realises he's actually a massive loving moron with no social skills so he managed to actually alienate 20 odd tory MPs to deselect themselves and vote him down lol.

Boris is exactly as stupid as he looks, he only ever gets anywhere by people occasionally forgetting that, or by the force of more competent organizations putting their PR weight behind him.

The tory party at the moment has no competent people, it hasn't since Cameron left. May was the least poo poo option they could manage.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Early mornings are great for retail cos only the weirdos are waiting at six for the store to open.

and the night shift workers

the best thing about working overnight for Domino's was getting fresh croissants from the bakery next door for "breakfast"

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Hurtful and yet truthful

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

and the night shift workers

the best thing about working overnight for Domino's was getting fresh croissants from the bakery next door for "breakfast"

Night shift IME are definitely all weirdos lol. There's a noticeable shift between the night crew and the day crew and that's that the night crew probably wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the customers :v:

Which is another good reason to work at night!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Lmao just calling out chuka to his face, Ash is fuckin great.

She really is. Wonder if she'll ever go into politics.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If this election goes ahead and the Tories lose, will tomorrow’s PMQs be Johnson’s only one?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

If this election goes ahead and the Tories lose, will tomorrow’s PMQs be Johnson’s only one?

Probably, actually. If parliament breaks up before next Wednesday due to prorogation or VONC, then it will be unless him somone manages to prorogue and then win a queens speech in a month.

EDIT: no night shifts for me, just living halfway around the world now so didn't get to watch BoJo's humiliation.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 4, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I started working overnights a month ago now and time has ceased to mean things. I eat breakfast at 4pm.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

AceClown posted:

Not a single person seriously expected 21 conservatives to actually grow a loving spine and put their jobs on the line.

It's truly, truly amazing. Most people were expecting that if we won this vote at all, it would be by a margin of like, one. If one wished to be very optimistic, you'd push that as high as five! Everyone was convinced that we'd be lucky to see more than one Tory do this, half a dozen would be at the very wildest bounds of plausibility; 21 was bonkeys Looney Tunes talk.

As to what actaully caused it, the government essentially issued a blanket threat to their entire set of MPs that disobeying would be punished with withdrawal of the whip, i.e. expulsion from the Tory party. The rebels promptly turned around and said "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me". There are Tories who think No Deal Brexit is a terrible idea and want to stop it, some who think it's okay in itself but only as a last resort and see that de Pfeffel was making no effort at all to avert it, and some who don't really care about that but do care about the methods he's trying to use to get it. Combine all those with him being an unbelievably unlikable wanker who is advised by a couple of the only people in town who are even less pleasant than he is, all of them convinced of their own genius and capability, and they've managed to gently caress off enough of their own people to cause an absolutely huge (And hilarious) rebellion.

In short, Boris Johnson is so incompetent, so stupid, and so hated that he may have actually caused irreperable damage to the Conservative Party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's absolutely on boris, that's the wonderful bit. He's singlehandedly managed to obliterate the tory majority. He probably should have said OK we won't remove the whip and tried to work out some concessions. He wouldn't have got what he wanted but he could conceivably have held the government together a bit longer.

As it stands though he's completely hosed it, because he can't back down. He's gonna keep stamping his foot and annoying more and more tories until they're a wreck, and it's absolutely wonderful. Especially because the brexit party is waiting in the wings to split their vote when he looks completely incompetent.

The great blonde hope of the tories in the early 00s is now the man sticking the stake through the heart of the revenant that is the tory party and you could not write a funnier twist.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Can't sleep, don't know why. Might have been going deep on developments and indecision over booking a holiday (solo travel suggestions welcome)

Maybe I'm making it worse by picking up my phone in my boredom.

https://twitter.com/VauxhallLabour/status/1168830751607021568?s=19

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

I'm in Japan enjoying some hot springs and good scenery, and now I hear that Boris is imploding the Tories?

Keep it coming, this day is going prettttyy good

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This is why I tell people never to lock themselves into an escalation strategy, because it usually fails. If Boris had ever had to negotiate for anything real in his life, he would have learned this a long time ago.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Beefeater1980 posted:

This is why I tell people never to lock themselves into an escalation strategy, because it usually fails. If Boris had ever had to negotiate for anything real in his life, he would have learned this a long time ago.

Like I said earlier, the whole Dominic Cummings-style "Downing Street tough guy" shtick is really showing its age here.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Boris has monkey-pawed his way into executing one of his wishes - because a couple of months from now it seems certain Corbyn won't be leader of the opposition.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking forward to boris rolling around on the floor of the commons covered in his own piss and poo poo and screaming I'M THE PRIME MINISTER LISTEN TO MEEE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Hey folks, I kinda missed it with all the Commons stuff happening but now would be a real good time to donate to hurricane relief. I feel kinda bad about sitting here cackling my head off over Boris' misery when while it was happening half the Bahamas got wiped off the map you know? Red Cross is saying 99% of the population needs emergency assistance and 45% are now homeless.

EDIT: I know we basically just avoided a massive disaster of our own and that's cause for celebration but it still leaves me conflicted. Maybe I just need some sleep to get my feelings straight.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 4, 2019