Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Sanford posted:

But elections have to be on a Thursday I can't cope with this :psyduck:

Why are elections on thursdays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because everyone will be too drunk on a friday to vote.

(historically speaking) ((probably still accurate))

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Tradition, ofc. I've heard it's so the plebs are the longest possible time from payday so won't be too pissed to turn out to vote.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I mean yeah it's gonna be hard for labour to put together something that will appeal to everyone they need to.

But it's gonna be a bit harder, I think, for boris to mount an effective election campaign having just hosed his party and possibly brexit too :v:

Oh absolutely. It's not going to be a 1997 cakewalk, but I think it being easy for the Tories is laughable.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1168982702235815939?s=09

I love how the Tories are being given the benefit of the doubt over what is some blatant anti-Semitism.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sanford posted:

Tradition, ofc. I've heard it's so the plebs are the longest possible time from payday so won't be too pissed to turn out to vote.

I thought it was to give farmers time to make the three-day-trip* after the farmers market to get to the polling station

*I assume it took that long to get around

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

I see our collective pretence as “these 650 individuals represent all of us, so we are OK with them making decisions”. It’s not the worst, tbh.
As long as I can ignore anything they do that threatens to grossly inconvenience me (says I, but also the rich and powerful who have better odds of actually making good on that without building parallel structures (they already have those, it's called being rich and powerful)).

Beefeater1980 posted:

That works so long as the losers accept the validity of an election result. The more times in a row that happens the better. There’s a lot of evidence now from our and the US’s various post-colonial smash and grab raids nation-building exercises that democracy is a really really bad, divisive and dangerous system if it doesn’t have that legitimacy. Everywhere it’s ever worked well has built it locally.
I think the most popular democracies aren't the ones that are viewed as 'local' or 'legitimate' but that deliver the best improvements to the people they purport to represent. From that view, the battle is social (and admittedly sometimes populist) forms of democracy vs. technocratic forms of neocolonialism.

quote:

During the South’s post-colonial decades, those successful Keynesian policies I mentioned earlier were rolled out by democratically-elected governments: Nkrumah in Ghana, Mossadegh in Iran, Arbenz in Guatemala, Allende in Chile, and many more. This legacy of progressive economics was destroyed by neoliberal structural adjustment, which worked only because it effectively shifted power over macroeconomic policy from the national parliaments of Southern countries to bankers and technocrats in Washington, New York and London. There was no democratic consent for neoliberalization. It was imposed from above – against a tsunami of popular riots.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mega Comrade posted:

It depends. They want to first pass a block on no deal. The issue with just allowing an election to be called is Johnson can use it to delay the opposition and then move it at the last minute to after October 17th. Hes shown already he is willing to abuse his powers to undermine opposition.

xtothez posted:

Once an extension is legally secured, yes. They don't want to risk Boris overturning the bill once Parliament has shut down.

Also the date is now expected to be the 15th, as the Tories have finally caught onto the poor optics about about holding an election on a Jewish holiday while accusing their opponents of antisemitism.

Thank you.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jesus Christ what the gently caress is going on.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

<Philip Lee> I'm going to deny the tories their majority
<Boris Johnson> Hold my beer

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Samovar posted:

Hope came to kick rear end and chew bubblegum.

And it's all out of gum.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Qwertycoatl posted:

<Philip Lee> I'm going to deny the tories their majority
<Boris Johnson> Hold my beer

Hahaha someone make this into an image macro pls

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Is there any way to compel ministers to obey Parliament other than a VONC/election?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

coffeetable posted:

Is there any way to compel ministers to obey Parliament other than a VONC/election?

Parliament is Sovereign. The fact is that unless it passes through parliament it isn't getting passed as a law.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Hope is a lie etc.

Dont jinx it goons lol

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Josef bugman posted:

Parliament is Sovereign. The fact is that unless it passes through parliament it isn't getting passed as a law.

what

say parliament passes this no-no-deal-brexit bill. how does parliament prevent him from ignoring it? they can VONC him, but if a election follows the date can be set to after brexit day

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

coffeetable posted:

Suspension, expulsion or being sent to the dungeon

Yes, seriously

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jippa posted:

Why are elections on thursdays?

Tradition, as people said. Specifically: they wanted to have elections on the working day furthest away from the Sunday so the clergy would be less likely to tell people how to vote. They decided on Thursday so the employers couldn't bribe their workers with beer, because they had to go out to work the next day.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Surely if he tried that there'd be actual riots.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

coffeetable posted:

what

say parliament passes this no-no-deal-brexit bill. how does parliament prevent him from ignoring it? they can VONC him, but if a election follows the date can be set to after brexit day

refuse to vote for an election until an extension has been granted? maybe force him to ask the EU for a flexible date that gets set after an election occurs (although I don't know if they'd grant that), and only then do a VONC? I mean, he can't call an election on his own now

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's pretty great that neoliberalism has also imploded in Denmark, but here we have more than two parties and the implosion has not affected the coalition who's currently in charge.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

coffeetable posted:

what

If it came down to it Parliament could just decide some rando was their representative an repel Article 50.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Hope isn't a lie?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Hope isn't a lie?

Jokes. It is.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Aramoro posted:

If it came down to it Parliament could just decide some rando was their representative an repel Article 50.

It's not like Johnson's prime minister anymore, lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

coffeetable posted:

what

Specifically I believe parliament could vote to hold the government in contempt at which point Bercow gets to break out his goon squad and lock them all in the tower.

We might need a bigger tower though.

Also I think it's elizabeth tower? Which is currently the one with all the scaffolding on it so that might be complicated too.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Morning all

A Cummings Brain hot take: they're going to restore the whip as a reward for tories who come back to the fold for today's vote. Not sure how many it's going to work on but certainly not the MPs who have already said they're not standing again.

They need 14 of 21 back to prevent the no-no-deal bill from passing without any more Labour/Independent wavierers. The parliamentary mathematics just doesn't seem to be there

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Have they actually withdrawn the whip for the rebels?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I know yeah. Or in either case the understanding is they can't stand again which is basically the same thing lol.

Boris just made 20 odd tories have nothing to lose, it's great :v:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Have they actually withdrawn the whip for the rebels?

Yes, Rory said it was withdrawn via a text message

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yes, Rory said it was withdrawn via a text message
Ah, the technological solution.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

CGI Stardust posted:

refuse to vote for an election until an extension has been granted? maybe force him to ask the EU for a flexible date that gets set after an election occurs (although I don't know if they'd grant that), and only then do a VONC? I mean, he can't call an election on his own now
the election isn't the goal; keeping everyone tied in knots up until the 31st is the goal. if no election is held, the gov is still in power and gets to do what it wants

OwlFancier posted:

Specifically I believe parliament could vote to hold the government in contempt at which point Bercow gets to break out his goon squad and lock them all in the tower.

We might need a bigger tower though.

Also I think it's elizabeth tower? Which is currently the one with all the scaffolding on it so that might be complicated too.

Gum posted:

Suspension, expulsion or being sent to the dungeon

Yes, seriously
right, okay, this is the concrete repercussions i was after. though i am skeptical of the serjeant at arms' ability to detain the prime minister, because presumably the PaDP report to the prime minister and it's like the queen's left hand detaining the queen's right hand. so then is it then up to liz to decide what the ~constitutional~ side to support is?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 4, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No I'm pretty sure that's the actual point of the serjeant, to enforce parliamentary power against anyone and everyone.

The role of the speaker is traditionally opposed to the monarch, they're supposed to be the guy that parliament sends to argue with the sovereign, hence why it's notionally a position nobody wants because the sovereign might decapitate them if they don't like what they say.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 4, 2019

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

No I'm pretty sure that's the actual point of the serjeant, to enforce parliamentary power against anyone and everyone.

went to check this and

quote:

In serving the Warrant, the Serjeant or his appointee may call on the full assistance of the civil authorities, including the police.

great - so the PaDP would obey the serjeant. ta all

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
PMQ's today is gona slap

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
what's the likelihood of the lib dems facing a crisis after welcoming in a bunch of ex-tories. obviously that LGBT chair resigning was one thing but surely most of them don't actually care right

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Samovar posted:

"Even with whipping a shaky Johnson is struggling to stay up."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nuclear Spoon posted:

what's the likelihood of the lib dems facing a crisis after welcoming in a bunch of ex-tories. obviously that LGBT chair resigning was one thing but surely most of them don't actually care right

LDs are apparently just Tories with even greater levels of cowardice, don't think they'll object

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Doccykins posted:

Morning all

A Cummings Brain hot take: they're going to restore the whip as a reward for tories who come back to the fold for today's vote. Not sure how many it's going to work on but certainly not the MPs who have already said they're not standing again.

They need 14 of 21 back to prevent the no-no-deal bill from passing without any more Labour/Independent wavierers. The parliamentary mathematics just doesn't seem to be there

That is a Cumbrain take indeed :)

Honestly, if you were sacked by text message late last night for the great crime of evolving a rudimentary spine, and the following morning you got a weasely call from your 'boss' that he'd really like you back under the exact same conditions, how would you respond?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Nuclear Spoon posted:

From what I've seen, lgbt link dems are pissed at the leadership and non-lgbt lib dems are pissed at lgbt libs for daring to put their rights above the interest of the party