Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

what's the likelihood of the lib dems facing a crisis after welcoming in a bunch of ex-tories. obviously that LGBT chair resigning was one thing but surely most of them don't actually care right

I would imagine that come an actual election, when Lib Dem campaigners will be expected to canvas for unvarnished straight-up Tories, we may see some friction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

what's the likelihood of the lib dems facing a crisis after welcoming in a bunch of ex-tories. obviously that LGBT chair resigning was one thing but surely most of them don't actually care right

Many of the seats the Lib Dems could reasonably aim to pick up are currently tory. They could be banking that there's space for a non-insane remain-leaning conservative-leaning party to carve chunks off the tories. This probably isn't a terrible strategy but who knows it it'll work out for them or if they'll stick with it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nuclear Spoon posted:

They've had a decade that has tended to select against any members who care more about principles than power, so...

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So I don’t quite get this part - why do they have to vote on it again if they already voted last night?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/1169165917881810944?s=19

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Gotta say, very much enjoyed the liveposting last night. Way more fun to do it with you maniacs as my fiance, lovely in every other aspect, does not have deep politics brainworms and doesn't want to stay up till midnight talking about parliamentary procedures.

She's probably the healthy one in our relationship.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

coffeetable posted:

the election isn't the goal; keeping everyone tied in knots up until the 31st is the goal. if no election is held, the gov is still in power and gets to do what it wants

Both are goals. He genuinely thinks he can be remembered by history as a great Prime Minister, but to do that he needs a majority back. Johnson wants to deliver No Deal and hold onto power for as long as possible to sate his ego. An election is essential for the latter, and until yesterday it was a handy way to run the clock down and help achieve the former.

Now his best hope for No Deal is that enough people deliver a mandate for him to override yesterday's parliament decision before the end of October.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

So I don’t quite get this part - why do they have to vote on it again if they already voted last night?

The vote last night was to change the order paper to make sure today's vote comes first and must be held today. Today's vote is the actual bill that ties Boris' hands.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Lib Dem voters would actually have to pay attention to who the party are and what they do, rather than living in fantasy 90s world where the lib dems are the most progressive party for sensible people with a social conscience.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

They voted last night to take control of the agenda, today is actually putting their legislation forward.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Strap yourselves in, lasses. Today's going to be a day.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm about eight pages behind so if this has been posted already I apologise

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

sebzilla posted:

It bears reposting, it's the best edit of that image so far.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

So what's today's timetable? Whoever posted guidelines of when interesting stuff was likely to happen yesterday was very useful.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

:yeshaha:

quote:

In his morning London Playbook briefing for Politico Europe, Jack Blanchard has some more evidence of the backlash in the Conservative party against Boris Johnson’s decision to remove the whip from the 21 Tory rebels. Here’s an extract.

‘Richard bloody Benyon?’ Despite all the threats and aggressive briefings from No 10 in lead-up, plenty of Tory MPs and aides were still gobsmacked by the unprecedented purge of the moderates we saw last night. When was the last time any major political party threw out more than 20 of its MPs for disobeying orders? Worryingly for Downing Street, even slavishly loyal Brexiteers were unnerved. “It’s like something out of North Korea,” one normally supportive No 10 aide phoned Playbook to say. “I honestly think they’ve completely overreached. They have f***ed this up. We look bonkers. You’re trying to frame it as parliament vs. the people — and then you deselect 20-odd of your own MPs, including Winston Churchill’s grandson? I mean — deselecting Philip Hammond is one thing, but Richard bloody Benyon? Imagine what we’d be saying if Corbyn did something like this” ...

Caught in the middle: Centrist Tory MPs such as ex-Minister Tobias Ellwood told my colleague Annabelle Dickson they too were worried by Downing Street’s response. “It is a sad day indeed when the grandson of Churchill is threatened with deselection,” Ellwood said. “We shouldn’t lose sight of the party we used to be — an open, center-right, one nation, progressive party. Given how many people rebelled under Theresa May’s government it is a worrying precedent that has been set.” Another Tory MP told her the deselections were “completely unacceptable”, adding: “There are a lot of moderate people who won’t be at all happy with this.”

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

We can only hope that as the majority goes through the floor, so will Rees-Mogg enter the ground.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
What time is the vote today?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

sebzilla posted:

tbf, depending on what happens in the next few days, it should really go in next month's OP

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He needs kicking out

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1169162507006697473?s=19

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Junior G-man posted:

"Imagine what we’d be saying if Corbyn did something like this” ...

It would be an absolute shitstorm, waaaaaaay more dramatic than what actually happened that's for sure.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Paperhouse posted:

What time is the vote today?

11.30am

Prayers

Afterwards

Oral Questions: Wales

12 noon

Oral Questions: Prime Minister

12.30pm

Urgent Questions, Ministerial Statements (if any)

No debate

Presentation of Bills

Up to 20 minutes

Ten Minute Rule Motion: Compulsory Purchase and Planning (Emma Hardy)

Until 7.00pm

European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 6) Bill: All Stages

Up to 90 minutes

Early Parliamentary General Election (Motion)

Until 7.00pm

Animal Welfare (Sentencing) Bill: Remaining Stages

No debate after 7.00pm

Motion relating to the membership of the Selection Committee

No debate

Presentation of Public Petitions

Until 7.30pm or for half an hour

Adjournment Debate: Treasury funding for the Department of Health and Social Care (Robert Halfon)

WESTMINSTER HALL

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Oh please let the Tories split them selves into the Conservative Party (Faragist-Johnsonist) and the Real Continuity Conservatives and cannibalize each other at the polls

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sebzilla posted:

God, he's such a loathsome oval office

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Order paper for today:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmagenda/OP190904.pdf

Will be this afternoon I believe before anything happens.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I'd grumble about how he's getting interviewed and not, like, Abbott or McDonnell, but it's the BBC of course they're interviewing the rightwing backbencher and not the leadership.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hey thread, are there any decent UK left wing online newspapers? New Statesman?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

the whole piece is excellent

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/...-a-pro-part-ii/

Pochoclo posted:

as recently agreed by the thread, the FT is the best

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/OdysseanProject - apparently this is Cummings' Twitter account if anyone happens to have some thoughts they want to share with him.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pochoclo posted:

No. Not consistently.
There are some decent articles in some online newspapers sometimes.
Personally, I find the FT and the Independent best. My card-carrying, tory party member, ultra wealthy relative calls both of those 'very left wing'.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the new statesman is terf city, steer clear imo (although i have a soft spot for @stephenkb)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pochoclo posted:

You're not going to get real left-wing news in the mainstream media. Best places to go are sites like Novara Media and Another Angry Voice. This thread aggregates the best/most important stories from a wide range of biases though so if you keep up to date with it you'll be doing all right.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Vlex posted:

We can only hope that as the majority goes through the floor, so will Rees-Mogg enter the ground.

https://twitter.com/GazWeetman/status/1169011754820657154

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
If I've learned anything from yesterday's events, it's the term "manspreading", which I somehow managed to avoid until now.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

New Statesman and the i (not the independent, the weird offshoot of it) are sometimes not terrible but can't be relied on and have a tendency of falling into Blair hagiography. New Statesman also published Helen Lewis' insane TERF rants until fairly recently.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Having a quiet chuckle at Tories melting down because 'we're supposed to be the progressive one nation conservative party'. They've completely bought their own bullshit.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

still loling

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

Repeatedly, but don't worry. Andrew Adonis tweeted it and it's made it to the Guardian.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Indie is kinda garbo and owned by oil sheiks

There isn't a left wing paper in the UK sadly, on account of not many press barons wanting to be taxed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Jedit posted:

Repeatedly, but don't worry. Andrew Adonis tweeted it and it's made it to the Guardian.

It's funny but that X-axis isn't linear yet the Y is and it's doing my nut in.