Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
brexit

https://twitter.com/williamcrawley/status/1169022754370330624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

actually I’ve got it, the EU should offer the UK an extension of one month per county they hand over to Ireland

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

if this whole thing doesnt end up with pm bercow cancelling brexit then the world has gone mad

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is Brexit:

https://twitter.com/rosshardyyork/status/1168998356397494276

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Vermain posted:

not quite: due to the fixed-terms parliament act, calling a new election during the given parliamentary term ends requires a 2/3rds majority vote, something that bojo absolutely does not have.

He only needs a simple majority to repeal the FTPA or even make an exemption to it though.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Bryter posted:

He only needs a simple majority to repeal the FTPA or even make an exemption to it though.

Guess what he doesn't have any more

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
All hope's lost for a red, white and blue brexit

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

so does this mean brexit isn't happening or what

nah it's still gonna happen there's too much money behind it. even if some miracle occurs they'll just ignore anything saying they cant and power on through then say whats done is done its too late to go back. everyone involved has a lifetime of experience of bending rules until they break and getting away with it

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

really queer Christmas posted:

haha there's no way the Brits would be dumb eno-

*time skip*

wow! prime minister Nigel firage!

It's going to be this, isn't it.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Gum posted:

Guess what he doesn't have any more

He only needs one minor party to decide they're up for an election, though, whereas there's no getting 2/3 without Labour votes.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Boreese Moggson

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avirosb posted:

Boreese Moggson

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Bryter posted:

He only needs one minor party to decide they're up for an election, though, whereas there's no getting 2/3 without Labour votes.

He needs the lib dems, snp or labour and all 3 have said they want a Brexit extension before they would support an election

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

What's the funniest (dumbest) outcome that could happen? Trump as PM?

brexit

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
jason voorhees-mogg

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Gum posted:

He needs the lib dems, snp or labour and all 3 have said they want a Brexit extension before they would support an election

yeah getting together a majority for repealing the FTPA in time is going to take some doing with parliament clearly quite happy to just seize control of the agenda at its own convenience. now that a fair chunk of tories have killed their own careers, they have absolutely no reason to cooperate with this sort of agenda

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the government has significant ill will and absolutely no leverage. it really is spectacular how badly this gambit backfired lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

like two divorced parents going through a messy divorce, hedge funds and corporate banks are screaming at each other about who gets to keep the kids, and the U.K. just wants to be left alone to cut itself

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MichelleGhsoub/status/1169009281099808769

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Turns out trying to strongarm people doesn't work when you have no strength

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

If surreal counts as a type of real then yes Britain is real

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so can i make money betting on an election by halloween or not

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Oh, won't you brexit
You know I don't believe it when you say you'll leave the EU
Oh, won't you brexit
Disaster capitalists gonna be quite upset with you

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

i say swears online posted:

so can i make money betting on an election by halloween or not

Moot point, the pound will be worth 0 of itself

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Obliterati posted:

Moot point, the pound will be worth 0 of itself

predictit.org is based in the US

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Jacob Brex-Hog

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Just going to steal a phrase that used to be common in the trump threads:

I think the mattering is happening.

There have been flashes of hope in the past, hell timeline don't ruin this!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

cool dance moves posted:

She says an election would be bad for Labour and good for Leave in general (though not necessarily the Tories). How does this figure? Is Labour doing that poorly? If so, why?

It's going to be a one-issue election based on leaving or remaining. If you want leave, then voting for the Tories at this point is probably a pretty safe bet since they're looking mad enough to actually go through with no deal. Before Johnson got in and put us on this path the Brexit Party may have split the leave vote but now they may not be much of a threat.

Remain vote could be split between labour and lib dem. Labour is viewed with suspicion because to many people they're hardest of the hard left, and are led by a man who, according to the press, has a love of terrorists, a burning hatred for jews, and possibly built his own gas chamber on his allottment.

Voting lib dem is a loving waste of time at this point you might as well set your ballot and yourself on fire, but a bunch of people will probably do it anyway.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

What's the funniest (dumbest) outcome that could happen? Trump as PM?

Brexit Party + Lib Dem coalition with PM Farage.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bercow: hors d'oeuvres

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

alphabettitouretti posted:

Brexit Party + Lib Dem coalition with PM Farage.
:dudsmile:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Valko posted:

Just going to steal a phrase that used to be common in the trump threads:

I think the mattering is happening.

There have been flashes of hope in the past, hell timeline don't ruin this!

That's a cursed phrase, which is why it's a good thing you just mentioned it eather than say it, right?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Just before people start getting hysterical, the Lib Dems will NOT enter into a coalition with the Tories. It almost completely destroyed their party last time and they will not do it again.

I will :toxx: myself over this.

If they can pick up a couple of people like loving Phillip Hammond, Kenneth Clarke and the more liberal Tories they have an actual shot at completely splitting the Tory vote down the middle.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1169027184696184832?s=19

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Dravs posted:

Just before people start getting hysterical, the Lib Dems will NOT enter into a coalition with the Tories. It almost completely destroyed their party last time and they will not do it again.

I will :toxx: myself over this.

If they can pick up a couple of people like loving Phillip Hammond, Kenneth Clarke and the more liberal Tories they have an actual shot at completely splitting the Tory vote down the middle.

it is interesting how the lib dems keep opening themselves to criticism on LGBT+ stuff. it might be a decent line of attack, 'labour is more liberal and more democratic' etc

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Private Speech posted:

That's a cursed phrase, which is why it's a good thing you just mentioned it eather than say it, right?

Point taken. I didn't say the words out loud and it's probably best just to forget it. Anyhow, it's 10.16am GMT in the UK. Boris faces his first PMQs (prime ministers questions) today at 1200. It's going to be an interesting day.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Do we know who the 21 Tory MPs having the whip removed are?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

DeadButDelicious posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-49563357

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013

DeadButDelicious posted:

One of them was Sir Winston Churchills grandson.. Nice optics throwing him out of the conservative party