Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Scottish court ruled prorogation legal, so that's that

https://twitter.com/bbclornag/status/1169176395689418754

+58 is the code for international direct dial phone calls to Venezuela

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vlex posted:

It's funny but that X-axis isn't linear yet the Y is and it's doing my nut in.
Put JRM on the rack, you say?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tsaedje posted:

Oh please let the Tories split them selves into the Conservative Party (Faragist-Johnsonist) and the Real Continuity Conservatives and cannibalize each other at the polls

Would anyone even vote for the continuity party

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Hentai Jihadist posted:

There isn't a left wing paper in the UK sadly, on account of not many press barons wanting to be taxed

Kevin Maguire sheds a single tear.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Yeah that's most pro-click for a lot of Tory tears and rage.

Pochoclo posted:

Hey thread, are there any decent UK left wing online newspapers? New Statesman?

FT isn't left wing but it is the best at actually reporting news.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nuclear Spoon posted:

But surely the rule of law will save us :qq:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Did anyone seriously expect that to work?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

sebzilla posted:

I'm about eight pages behind so if this has been posted already I apologise

They lost by 27 votes, why is it marked as -43?

I'm an American, so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 4, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So before I get up properly and go to the job centre to see if they can do it the job I've got want me to provide proof of my entire time on benefits. This has pretty much all been paperless including bank statements and I don't have a printer. Any suggestion as to what is the easiest way to get this history in paper?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Charlz Guybon posted:

They lost by 27 votes, why is marked as -43?

I'm an American, so I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Someone going from aye to no is a swing of two votes

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Or vice-versa in this instance

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

-43 is the government's new majority after deselecting a bunch of MPs last night. 27 is just the difference in votes between aye/nay on yesterday's vote.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jose posted:

So before I get up properly and go to the job centre to see if they can do it the job I've got want me to provide proof of my entire time on benefits. This has pretty much all been paperless including bank statements and I don't have a printer. Any suggestion as to what is the easiest way to get this history in paper?

Christ, why?

But I imagine job centre can do it.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Hey thread, are there any decent UK left wing online newspapers? New Statesman?

its this thread op

OwlFancier posted:

Order paper for today:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmagenda/OP190904.pdf

Will be this afternoon I believe before anything happens.

PMQs at 12 is going to be worth a watch

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
read the FT and morning star, the communist newspaper

it's like red bull and vodka

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 4, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Private Speech posted:

Christ, why?

But I imagine job centre can do it.

they want an extremely thorough background check I guess. its really extreme. I can cover some of the benefits time because its in my tax refund but that obviously doesn't cover the last few months

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Junior G-man posted:

Gotta say, very much enjoyed the liveposting last night. Way more fun to do it with you maniacs as my fiance, lovely in every other aspect, does not have deep politics brainworms and doesn't want to stay up till midnight talking about parliamentary procedures.

She's probably the healthy one in our relationship.

Same, although my gf is getting more and more interested which led to her badgering me to explain what was going on just at the climactic moment, lol

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Hahahahaha even Tories can't stand the Mogg:

quote:

Rees-Mogg's 'arrogant' speech cost government four extra vote, says Tory rebel
Turning back to Jacob Rees-Mogg, it has emerged that he single-handedly managed to push the size of the rebellion last night over the 20 mark. In an interview with the Today programme’s Ross Hawkins, Guto Bebb, one of the most prominent rebels, said that Rees-Mogg’s speech helped to persuade four MPs to join him in voting against the government. Bebb said:

quote:

There were at least four individuals who were still doubtful who changed their position to being supportive and voting with us on the back of Jacob’s performance. He was deemed to be arrogant, out of touch and I think the way in which he treated some of the interventions was a red rag to bull in many cases.

Mogg is getting most publicity this morning for his unusual posture on the Treasury bench. (See 6.37am.) Last night the government was, quite literally, flat on its back. But the picture has distracted attention from his speech which, even by Rees-Mogg’s standards, was unusually pompous, as well as peevish and at times offensive. You can read the highlights on last night’s blog here.

I love the tears and rage so much this morning.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Mogg is legitimately the UK equivalent to Ted Cruz in that they're both detested, snivelling losers who absolutely no one respects and yet somehow remains in politics.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Mogg is legitimately the UK equivalent to Ted Cruz in that they're both detested, snivelling losers who absolutely no one respects and yet somehow remains in politics.

now now, jess phillips is best mates with him

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's like chernobyl where the smugness is supposed to be contained in a stable reaction but boris inserted the control rods too fast and caused the reactor core to explode and spread the smugness all over britain

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Odds on BoJo just pushing forwards May's old deal but with the backstop ripped out and replaced with a hard border down the middle of the Irish Sea?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Inspiration struck me:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Itzena posted:

Odds on BoJo just pushing forwards May's old deal but with the backstop ripped out and replaced with a hard border down the middle of the Irish Sea?

There's no point. The ERG won't vote for anything except No Deal, and Labour won't support a Tory brexit deal without a public vote. Without one of those he won't have the votes.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's like chernobyl where the smugness is supposed to be contained in a stable reaction but boris inserted the control rods too fast and caused the reactor core to explode and spread the smugness all over britain

I quote the Mail so you don't have to click it. They've got a hilarious blow-by-blow of the rebels meeting Boris yesterday afternoon:

quote:

Just before 10.15am, around 15 rebels entered Downing Street.

Nobody was calling them peace talks, and by the end it was clear they had only served to expose the Brexit civil war tearing the Conservative Party apart.

One attendee described it as 'the most extraordinary meeting I have ever been in'. The rebel group included former Chancellor Philip Hammond, former justice secretary David Gauke and ex-business secretary Greg Clark – as well as a raft of former junior ministers and senior backbenchers including Sir Nicholas Soames, the grandson of Sir Winston Churchill.

The meeting was held in the Cabinet room, around which many of the rebels had sat as ministers only weeks earlier.

On the Prime Minister's left sat Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd who has urged him not to pull the trigger on the rebels but to 'hold our party together'.

The Prime Minister began by arguing that progress was being made with the EU, and the threat of No Deal was having a real impact on Brussels.

If the Bill was to pass, he argued, it could result in a second referendum or even the revocation of Article 50 – the death of Brexit. And he made clear to the rebels that, yes, they really would lose the whip if they did not back down. From his seat in the corner, next to Mr Gauke and Michael Gove, Mr Hammond couldn't hide his displeasure. In truth, he argued, No 10 didn't have a negotiating strategy or even team in place.

They weren't really trying to get a deal. Even if Mr Johnson could secure a last-ditch deal at the European Council on October 17, there wasn't time to pass the required legislation ahead of Brexit day on October 31, he insisted.

No, Mr Johnson said, there was in fact time. What's more, he said, there would also be time for the rebels to try again to stop No Deal after the Council.

But Mr Hammond wasn't listening. 'Hammond and Boris were just refusing to listen to one another. Hammond kept talking over him, tutting and shaking his head,' one source said.

'Boris was doing the same.'

At one point the exasperated PM declared: 'You all just want to keep us in the EU.' Hammond hit back: 'We voted for the deal three times.' The row escalated.

PM: 'I will not tolerate a Bill that hands over power to Corbyn.' Hammond: 'We are handing over power to Parliament.' PM: 'You are handing power over to a junta that includes Jeremy Corbyn.'

He added: 'Extension [of Article 50] would be an extinction-level event for the Conservative Party.' 'Their mutual loathing was very apparent,' a source told me.

Dominic Cummings was not present throughout the meeting, but had spoken to a group of rebels waiting outside. One later accused him of 'hectoring' them and starting a row, a claim denied by Government sources. 'I've seen Dom argue and it was not a Dom argument'.

He did, though, make one short cameo appearance in the room, described as 'deliberate trolling' of the rebels. 'Dom turned up just to needle Hammond.' (Insiders also say that while they were waiting for the meeting to start Mr Cummings had told the waiting rebel MPs: 'I don't know who any of you are!')

One hour and 25 minutes after the meeting began, Mr Johnson banged the table, urged the rebels to 'trust my position' and the meeting was over. The PM concluded: 'I assume everyone is with me.' It would quickly become clear they were not. Then the briefing war began.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7424867/Explosion-loathing-No10-incendiary-row-led-Tory-defeat-writes-JACK-DOYLE.html

Truly a great unity figure and party leader.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Quite enjoying BoJo's wild flailing as he discovers he doesn't actually have the political strength to pull off his strongman act.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That Italian Guy posted:

Inspiration struck me:

:discourse:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Junior G-man posted:

Hahahahaha even Tories can't stand the Mogg:

:smugjones:
I love the tears and rage so much this morning.

This is the Moggmentum I've been hearing so much about

That Italian Guy posted:

Inspiration struck me:

:golfclap:

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

read the FT and morning star, the communist newspaper

Morning Star is okay, but you have to treat the Features section like a literal minefield (you might get something decent on Ireland, or whales dying, or you might get some crusty old man bitching about idpol or advocating Lexit, or a TERF doing TERF things). They also have a paywall, but I can easily 'find' a voucher code for a discount.

I'm actually legitimately considering a subscription for the FT though.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Jose, you can maybe stick everything on a usb drive and print it at a library.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Inspiration struck me:

This is lovely, you are lovely.

Brexit is not lovely.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Junior G-man posted:

I quote the Mail so you don't have to click it. They've got a hilarious blow-by-blow of the rebels meeting Boris yesterday afternoon:

Truly a great unity figure and party leader.

I love the 'I assume you all are with me' after a big argument.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

Inspiration struck me:

This is very good.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol at Johnson calling a Corbyn-led parliament a junta, in a private meeting. They actually believe this garbage.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Tsaedje posted:

Oh please let the Tories split them selves into the Conservative Party (Faragist-Johnsonist) and the Real Continuity Conservatives and cannibalize each other at the polls

You splinter groups will fall to the Provisional Conservative Party of Dialectical Roryism

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lol at Johnson calling a Corbyn-led parliament a junta, in a private meeting. They actually believe this garbage.

I don't think Johnson believes in anything but himself.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So, uhh, as a non-UK person what happens if there's another delay, another election, and at the end of it your Parliament still can't figure out wtf it wants to do? Eventually, the EU gets sick of it all and stops granting extensions, right?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
No idea what his source for this is, but interesting if true

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1169190722546876416

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

xtothez posted:

There's no point. The ERG won't vote for anything except No Deal, and Labour won't support a Tory brexit deal without a public vote. Without one of those he won't have the votes.
Oh, I'm not saying it'd work, I'm just wondering if Cummings is that loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Skippy McPants posted:

So, uhh, as a non-UK person what happens if there's another delay, another election, and at the end of it your Parliament still can't figure out wtf it wants to do? Eventually, the EU gets sick of it all and stops granting extensions, right?

Uncharted waters, nobody has an answer to these kinds of questions

Nobody knows what's happening in the next week let alone any further