Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Pochoclo posted:

“you great big girl’s blouse” has to be the shittiest possible posh toff oxbridge oval office insult you could ever possibly come up with, and of course it’s also sexist on top of it all

It went down a storm in the quad when the Earl of Quisling used it. How we all laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

:five::five::five::five::five:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

There's no mandate for remain (untested)

There's no mandate for no deal (3 votes)

So what about the deal that was voted down so loving hard. Maybe there's a mandate for Bringing The house together argle bargle

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Apparently something being readily available and on the shelf is more important than your quality of life folks.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Just got an email from Jennie Formby saying "With Boris Johnson's disastrous government now without a mandate and a majority, we are very likely to find ourselves with a General Election over the next few weeks." So maybe labour are planning to push for an election now?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

spiderbot posted:

Just got an email from Jennie Formby saying "With Boris Johnson's disastrous government now without a mandate and a majority, we are very likely to find ourselves with a General Election over the next few weeks." So maybe labour are planning to push for an election now?

not until No Deal has been well and truly pushed off the table

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

spiderbot posted:

yeah, but not as soon as the tories are wanting. It's happening, but it'll be after the extension is sorted, so look forward to a November election (happy birthday to me)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The big deal about the whip being withdrawn is you are out of the party and essentially going to lose your seat at the next election when your former party runs a new candidate against you (because people vote for parties not candidates).

To clarify, technically people vote for candidates not parties, but in almost all cases voters care more about party affiliation than anything else about the candidates.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

not until No Deal has been well and truly pushed off the table

Yeah Boris would love to have an election right now, even if it means the death of the Tories, because he would be guaranteed a hard brexit like he wants.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

spiderbot posted:

If the bill passes then bojo is required to ask for and accept an extension, but if there's an election before he actually does it then there's a chance he could win with a majority/coalition and overturn that legislation. (Plus he'd be able to campaign on doing exactly that)

So if they can wait until it's actually done, that's a better time to have a GE

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For the record, I know a number of CLPs are absolutely not ready for an October election, so pushing it to November is fine by me.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
making Pfeffy the shortest serving PM ever would be funny though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

For the record, I know a number of CLPs are absolutely not ready for an October election, so pushing it to November is fine by me.

Conversely, I know that at least 21 consituency tory parties are absolutely not ready for an October election.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm abroad in the middle of October so fine by me too! I want to vote in person dangnabbit

ShadowSpectre
Oct 6, 2016

Qwertycoatl posted:

Conversely, I know that at least 21 consituency tory parties are absolutely not ready for an October election.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Qwertycoatl posted:

Doubtful. I'd be very surprised if at least half of them haven't had a hard brexiteer candidate on standby for months.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

So despite all threats of deselection the bill still passed?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The email was about selecting candidates for constituencies that don't have one ready. Let's get a goon into parliament!

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Caroline Flint saying she regrets not voting for May’s deal

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Chuka Umana posted:

Caroline Flint saying she regrets not voting for May’s deal

:mediocre:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

How many amendments do we have to sit through and are any of them important?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The filibuster in the Lord's seems to have been adjourned with an agreed pause in hostilities with some talk about the guillotine motion being withdrawn and Tory peers backing off their filibuster of the bill proper if an election is allowed

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The ships sinking quick tell the sun to run another jeremy corbyn hit piece.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

kustomkarkommando posted:

The filibuster in the Lord's seems to have been adjourned with an agreed pause in hostilities with some talk about the guillotine motion being withdrawn and Tory peers backing off their filibuster of the bill proper if an election is allowed

What is the guillotine motion? That sounds fun

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Are the Tories trying to waste time in the commons here? This a long loving division

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maugrim posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49580185

quote:

As it stands, the motion gives a mechanism - known as a "guillotine" - ensuring all stages of the bill are finished in the Lords by 19:00 on Friday.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

How many amendments do we have to sit through and are any of them important?

https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1169313758180773888

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What was the amendment that just got crushed?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

marktheando posted:

What was the amendment that just got crushed?

Remove the requirement for parliament to approve no deal

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ten amendments? The actual bill won't be voted on until about ten or 11 pm then...

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

sebzilla posted:

The email was about selecting candidates for constituencies that don't have one ready. Let's get a goon into parliament!

It also likely indicates an immediate end to the trigger ballot process

E: I'd see where was available to stand for but the site is 504ing

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Maugrim posted:

Old fashioned way of saying programme motion - it's the motion tabled to try to restrict debate on the bill proper so that all stages have to be completed by Friday (not common for the Lord's). Tory peers co-ordinated a planned filibuster to talk about their 70+ amendments to the programme motion, which themselves aren't constrained by the time limits set out in the motion, to force the clock to run out to the end of the week so the Lord's never even get round to debating the bill being passed in the commons before prorogation

Latitude Ocotpus
Nov 17, 2009
Do we have a list of the amendments they are voting on?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Remove the requirement for parliament to approve no deal

Haha

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bardeh posted:

Ten amendments? The actual bill won't be voted on until about ten or 11 pm then...

Bercow usually provides a list of the ones he's selected, no?

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Depends how many go to division.

Lindsay Hoyle just tried to call a division off and is now being heckled though

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Wtf is happening

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Uhh Stephen Kinnock wins by default???

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Wtf is happening

Procedural noise. We've got a little while until the main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Steven kinnock :doom: