Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Henry Black posted:

Lindsay Hoyle just tried to call a division off and is now being heckled though
Trying to get votes done while half the House is still in the lobby is a bit shady tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

That's what I mean the blarite ammendment wins by default what the gently caress is happening and what does it mean

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So does this mean we have another vote on May's deal? I'm confused.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Wait, do they seriously take the mace out of its stand when the Speaker is not presiding over the House himself?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I'm even more confused than I normally am when watching this arcane bullshit. Did an amendment just get passed by accident while all the MPs were off voting on something else?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

marktheando posted:

So does this mean we have another vote on May's deal? I'm confused.

Yeah wtf just happened

Has Stephen Kinnock just hosed us

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1169316764213288962

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah wtf just happened

Has Stephen Kinnock just hosed us

Hope is a lie

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Oh no.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

So, do they take it back and redo the vote?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Not watching the stream, what does that mean?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They'll just quickly vote it down again, it's not the end of the world just a colossal waste of time

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

this time parliament will get behind May's deal

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Cummings wandering around last night with a glass of wine picking fights is so stupid it feels like some rationalwiki inspired play, but unless he seriously thought JC would turn around and say “oh alright then, election tomorrow”, to what end?

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

frankenfreak posted:

Wait, do they seriously take the mace out of its stand when the Speaker is not presiding over the House himself?

It sits under the table during Committees of the Whole House, because they don't want the mace to hear any secrets.

That's not actually why, but it might as well be with all this ancient poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Enallyniv posted:

Has everyone accusing MPs of "blocking Brexit" collectively forgotten that there's like 10 different ways to leave the EU that aren't No Deal or are they just quietly hoping nobody remembers at this point?

Leaving the EU has never been, in the main, about enacting a policy. It's come about because charlatans have used it as a scapegoat for decades, and fascists have hated it for decades. The former primed a big chunk of the population to be open to leaving because they filled everyone's heads with nonsense about what the EU did and why - but the fash are the ones who are the ideological leaders and true believers.

Brexit is an article of faith. The more extreme it is, the better, because it puts more distance between us and hated Brussels. Combined with the usual right wing bollocks about how great $MYCOUNTRY is and it's a potent combination. EU both bad and duplicitous - UK both strong and Blitz Spirit. There's no way we'll be worse off that's Project Fear and even if we are it's worth it for Sovereignty.

And the one attempt at a deal was by Theresa and it was terrible so surely all other deals must be too!

Brexit is the realm of fanatics and fabulists, and there are few remaining voices to say that we must Brexit carefully and thoughtfully. Each seeks to prove themselves more devoted to Brexit than the last, each accuses others of betrayal and treason and propounds their own purity and zeal. No Deal Brexit has become the shibboleth of Brexiteers, and anything less is proof of secret Remain sympathies.

E; hahaha for gently caress sake, Kinnock you twat

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Henry Black posted:

It sits under the table during Committees of the Whole House, because they don't want the mace to hear any secrets.

That's not actually why, but it might as well be with all this ancient poo poo.

It's a known fact that the queen and the mace are bounded together through ancient Norman french blood magic

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Are the ones who don't know what second and third reading of a bill mean all American or are so many Brits uninformed about Parliament?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

It's a known fact that the queen and the mace are bounded together through ancient Norman french blood magic

The Queen is of German heritage.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Are the ones who don't know what second and third reading of a bill mean all American or are so many Brits uninformed about Parliament?

Both!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rust Martialis posted:

I went to uni for politics and I don't understand half the shite that goes on there, not surprising that folks might be unclear.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This means that Kinnock's sole success in life was accidental. Fitting really. I presume it can be amended in the lords?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

The Queen is of German heritage.

I said the magic was Norman French not the queen's blood. Listen it's all very complicated and German Magic is completely negated by the house of commons symbols of power so you gotta use the old stuff

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

I'll be honest, it took a while for me to get the hang of actual commons stuff that I don't really have any clue how the house of lords works or what "readings" are.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

A bill is read once and introduced into the house, it's read a second time and debated as a whole and then voted on (usually), then it goes to committee and a bunch of amendments are tabled and voted on individually, then the amended bill is read a third time and a final division on the whole bill is held

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Did anyone ever see what happened to the minimum letterbox height bill?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1169318025750880263

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Skarsnik posted:

Did anyone ever see what happened to the minimum letterbox height bill?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47457758

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rust Martialis posted:

The actual process - readings, committees, amendments, etc - are actually pretty similar between the UK and US (unsurprisingly), the details vary of course. I think the thing is, even for those normally fairly clued up, the idea of the whole thing - which can take years - happening in an evening is pretty confusing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Can someone explain to me exactly how this works? I know our system is pretty dumb but being able to pass votes without actually voting seems like one of those things that just shouldn't happen.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well thank gently caress for that, Britain is saved

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
May's thrice defeated deal or the cross party one that has a bunch of concessions in it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Sky reporting that the One Nation Conservatives (the wet bloc) have written a letter to Johnson demanding the 21 have the whip returned - as they have enough numbers to force an internal VoNC the whole thing has just got even funnier.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Guavanaut posted:

May's thrice defeated deal or the cross party one that has a bunch of concessions in it?

Kinnock's amendments all referred to cross party talks in May 2019, so it's the latter I think

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

Can someone explain to me exactly how this works? I know our system is pretty dumb but being able to pass votes without actually voting seems like one of those things that just shouldn't happen.

If one side can't find two people to count their votes then the other wins by default.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Guavanaut posted:

The latter
https://twitter.com/SKinnock/status/1169301840636317701

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Hellworld: Maybot Brexit by the end of the year.

Also 327-299

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
what the gently caress is going on https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1169320998572896258

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If one side can't find two people to count their votes then the other wins by default.

Like... Wait five minutes? Go into the hallway and ask if anyone's free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/woodstockjag/status/1169321176931426305