Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pochoclo posted:

No Recall or Intervention can work in this place

There is no escape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-K2rUP86M

Come, Black Rod. Friend or traitor, come. Come and look upon the Speaker's Chair, and St. Edward's Crown. And bring the Mace... I have need of it."

e; What a lovely snipe lmao

de Pfeffy did nothing to distance himself from implications that 80 million Turks would come to the UK if we stay in the EU except tell lies about what he said.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

D. Ebdrup posted:

Why not both?

Cheesewire noose.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cheesewire noose.

I'm not sure what this says about my current state of mind but it reminded me that I need to order new guitar strings.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1169365318478815233
loving lol they've already got the knives out, this is hilarious.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1169365639103991809

interestingly she initially typo'd this to say the complete opposite lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not sure what this says about my current state of mind but it reminded me that I need to order new guitar strings.
Be thankful that the current London moral panic is zombie knives and not garotters as it was in the mid 19th century, when they were campaigning for laws to prove you were a musician of good character before you could buy music wire.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Be thankful that the current London moral panic is zombie knives and not garotters as it was in the mid 19th century, when they were campaigning for laws to prove you were a musician of good character before you could buy music wire.

oxymoronic surely

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1169366112884207616
Leaning towards this being the better option, but still scary that Boris might get Erdogan to veto an extension or some bollocks.

EDIT: Orban, not Erdogan.

jabby fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 4, 2019

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I'm watching the Lords stream and I have absolutely no loving idea what is going on...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

awesmoe posted:

oxymoronic surely
No moreso than any of the other moral panic related laws we've had in the subsequent 170 years.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

jabby posted:

Leaning towards this being the better option, but still scary that Boris might get Erdogan to veto an extension or some bollocks.

I think with all the Brexit news I missed that Turkey had become a member of the EU.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

RockyB posted:

Conservative lords to try to filibuster, have multiple heart attacks, legislation passes lords by the skin of its teeth, Corbyn finally puts a bangin' VONC on it.

EDIT: Reminder, this was Boris' THIRD DAY officially on the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZlOhSt_qW0

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

painted into a coroner posted:

I think with all the Brexit news I missed that Turkey had become a member of the EU.

I'm mixing up my borderline dictators and now I can't remember who the gently caress I mean.

EDIT: Orban!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

jabby posted:

I'm mixing up my borderline dictators and now I can't remember who the gently caress I mean.

EDIT: Orban!

Orban probably?

e: oh wow same time edit i guess

anyway what happens if johnson just fuckin. ignores parliament. and tries to crash us out anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

painted into a coroner posted:

We brexited because they were just about to, even though the only EU member really considering it was the UK and the Tories let the Turkish Army buy British Steel.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

jabby posted:

You're thinking of Orban, from Hungary :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

No moreso than any of the other moral panic related laws we've had in the subsequent 170 years.

Fairly sure they mean "a musician of good moral character" is oxymoronic. I had a good sensible chuckle about it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

jabby posted:

EDIT: Orban, not Erdogan.

This was a very good error though, I could absolutely see Pfeffy trying to get Erdogan to veto it and not realize he's making a few major errors :v:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'd love to be able to jump forward in time 200 years just to see how they teach Brexit in history class.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

bessantj posted:

I'd love to be able to jump forward in time 200 years just to see how they teach Brexit in history class.

"And that was just one of the countless examples of human stupidity and mania in the dying years of their species. Planets like Earth are commemorated for a reason - we must never become like them."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

They bang the rocks together in a particularly derisory way.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1169351673464205317

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I listened to the UKMT podcast today and it was actually good, nice work folks.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm a dumb American who doesn't understand the complex minutiae of your parliament. That said, how can the government just decline to count the votes against an amendment and call it a win? Like I thought the government over here was pretty broken, but that just sounds crazypants. I get that it's a completely pointless amendment that won't do anything, but still. Is there some kind of protection in place to keep someone from pulling that same trick on a more important vote?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bessantj posted:

"Chapter 22: Scotland's remarkable rise to world domination"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

"History class" will be just a bunch of skulls in the dirt.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 4, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Deteriorata posted:

"Chapter 22: Scotland's remarkable rise to world domination"
Based on importing the only food the rest of the world was willing to give the UK decent trade on. The Durian Scheme.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Peston is such a poo poo interviewer. Johnson shouts that he "can only SPECULATE" why Labour don't want an election (it's because they're cowards, obvs) and Peston says nothing. No follow up question, despite Labour being incredibly loving clear why they don't want an election.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm a dumb American who doesn't understand the complex minutiae of your parliament. That said, how can the government just decline to count the votes against an amendment and call it a win? Like I thought the government over here was pretty broken, but that just sounds crazypants. I get that it's a completely pointless amendment that won't do anything, but still. Is there some kind of protection in place to keep someone from pulling that same trick on a more important vote?

It's the same principle as a voice vote (which I know your legislature does). No tellers bothering to turn up for one side means nobody cares enough for that side so there's no point in the vote and it goes automatically to the other side.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1169370023581880320
It's really weird seeing Jess Phillips go on TV and attack the Tories while backing up Labour's position, it's like I've slipped into the mirror universe.

EDIT: Also lol The Saj is having such a poo poo time.
https://twitter.com/MatthewOToole2/status/1169361686186340352

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

I listened to the UKMT podcast today and it was actually good, nice work folks.

Same here, good job. Made a long drive a bit less onerous :)

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Sensible centrists have finally noticed how terrible the BBC is

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1169307573729845248

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm just spitballing here, but I think the idea is that since the Government generally controls what gets voted on and is supposed to have a majority then usually only Government bills end up passing. Given this the Government would naturally fight any amendments to its own bills and hence it wouldn't pull poo poo like this.

But who the hell knows if there's any actual logic behind this or if it's just more Parliamentary Calvinball.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

"And that was just one of the countless examples of human stupidity and mania in the dying years of their species. Planets like Earth are commemorated for a reason - we must never become like them."
Solid Culture reference and context-appropriate user name - I give this post 9.5 / 10.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's the same principle as a voice vote (which I know your legislature does). No tellers bothering to turn up for one side means nobody cares enough for that side so there's no point in the vote and it goes automatically to the other side.

From what I've read on it, and I may be way off here, the government is supposed to provide the tellers. Which to my understanding means that the tories actually have control over whether something is counted or not. Correct me if I'm wrong. But if so, that sounds like a ridiculously huge loophole, and also a pretty terrible precedent to set if a GE is being delayed, leaving the tories nominally in control of the government. Couldn't they just keep doing this?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/samlove8888/status/1169371941289037824
Dick joke writers confirmed back at work.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Posted this for the voter registration graphs not the Corbyn bit.

Ed: this graph is either missing a bit or has been mislabelled. Better graph on page 81 from the Graun.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1169285387065470976

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 4, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

From what I've read on it, and I may be way off here, the government is supposed to provide the tellers. Which to my understanding means that the tories actually have control over whether something is counted or not. Correct me if I'm wrong. But if so, that sounds like a ridiculously huge loophole, and also a pretty terrible precedent to set if a GE is being delayed, leaving the tories nominally in control of the government. Couldn't they just keep doing this?

No, the Government supplies one set of tellers, the Opposition the other. I mean technically any four randos could do it but as almost all House business is Government vs. Opposition this is the way it usually shakes out. This was an Opposition amendment so the Government were supposed to provide tellers for the No lobby but didn't, so the Opposition amendment passed on the nod.

Besides if they'd discovered One Weird Trick to win all divisions do you not think they'd have deployed it at some other point over the last 36 hours instead of to get May's deal dragged out of it's grave for one more ceremonial kicking?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

if loving only

this would have improved immeasurably every single house party I've attended in the past decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Posted this for the voter registration graphs not the Corbyn bit.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1169285387065470976
Where's the 35-44 band? :(