Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Kyrosiris posted:

This might be a dumb question since I'm like one tutorial battle in, but do you ever get a way to automate the running forward part? I don't mind actually engaging with battles but sitting there and holding a finger on my phone is obnoxious.

They show you how to do it later in the tutorial so I'm not sure if the option is there before that, but in the upper right corner is a small white icon with two arrows (kinda looks like a recycle icon), that will make them both auto-run and auto-battle. When it's on, there are ability toggles in the bottom right corner that lets them use their second and third abilities or just basic attacks. Not sure what happens to the interactive items like chests/statues though, or the maze levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Crumbletron posted:

They show you how to do it later in the tutorial so I'm not sure if the option is there before that, but in the upper right corner is a small white icon with two arrows (kinda looks like a recycle icon), that will make them both auto-run and auto-battle. When it's on, there are ability toggles in the bottom right corner that lets them use their second and third abilities or just basic attacks. Not sure what happens to the interactive items like chests/statues though, or the maze levels.

Okay, cool. I figured I'd ask before I invested much more time in it because without that it was gonna be a no-go for me.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Crumbletron posted:

They don't pick up or interact with anything when auto-mode is on, you have to hit them manually. With the mazes, auto-mode will stop moving at each intersection, then take over again when you choose a direction.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I finally have a team I like and know the intro word for word!
Whats the name of the goon guild?

Oh uh for Epic 7

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 3, 2019

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Sleekly posted:

I finally have a team I like and know the intro word for word!
Whats the name of the goon guild?

Oh uh for Epic 7

Seconding, could use a discord link, too.

I get not much of anything out of my ten pull today, but got to the selective summon and came up with a Vildred in a mix of 3 stars so I kept it. He popped up as top tier in a couple lists u looked at.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea Vildred's good, he'll save you a shitload of time clearing trash if you build him right, get him a Dust Devil artifact asap

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lyto.garfieldpmd

Hell yeah

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Holy poo poo that is one hundred percent from the Garfield Eats guy. Look at the copy. It's the exact same style that he writes in. I'm dying

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

AFK Arena goon guild (Greater Goon) has a spot open if anyone out there is still interested. We have another player at 5 days inactive that might get booted soon too. Still only about two thirds of the way towards leveling up and getting another 5 spots. Make sure to post your player name here so we know it's not a random.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Bandire posted:

AFK Arena goon guild (Greater Goon) has a spot open if anyone out there is still interested. We have another player at 5 days inactive that might get booted soon too. Still only about two thirds of the way towards leveling up and getting another 5 spots. Make sure to post your player name here so we know it's not a random.

me, wangsbig

e: I will apply in one hours time as per the game's gimmick

Wangsbig fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 4, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bandire posted:

I will be applying as Morpheus, as soon as the 1-hour post-leaving-a-guild timer finishes.

E: beaten, but I'll apply if another inactive is booted.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Morpheus posted:

I will be applying as Morpheus, as soon as the 1-hour post-leaving-a-guild timer finishes.

E: beaten, but I'll apply if another inactive is booted.

Went ahead and cleared a spot for you as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I tried Epic 7 but there was an update today which puts a big Notices pop up over the game that can't be dismissed making it unplayable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bandire posted:

Went ahead and cleared a spot for you as well.

Sweet, applied.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Aramoro posted:

I tried Epic 7 but there was an update today which puts a big Notices pop up over the game that can't be dismissed making it unplayable.

The server is currently down for a patch. It'll be back up in an hour or so.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Can I get some AFK help.. Been stuck on 11-16 and floor 141 for a bit and I think it's cause of my lineup / not ascensioning the next hero...

What should be my build for the campaign? I leveled up my shemira+ to 153 and reset my rowan because I thought she would be better but I dunno if that was right.. Right now IM rocking Lucius, Brutus up front, then nemora, shemira and saveas at the back, but Im getting just stomped on.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
That was kind of my entire problem with the game. You breeze through until you hit a giant brick wall. You can either stop playing the main campaign and "AFK" as the title suggest until you get enough resources to break through, or throw money at it. Then you break through the wall, breeze past the next bit, and hit another wall. Rinse and repeat. I will admit that beyond the campaign there is a lot of neat stuff going on that no other game has, but it's all designed the same way.. Play until you hit a wall and squeeze money out of the impatient. Then they keep introducing new heroes to dilute the pull pool so it will become progressively harder and harder over time to rank up your team.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Yeah, and I am good with that. Just looking to make sure I'm starting the strongest team.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Put Tasi in the crystal. She freezes the highest dps enemy at the start of the battle. Her ult is putting the entire enemy team to sleep.

Make an Arden when you can to purple or higher
Oh just saw your purple arden, OK in the crystal with him too. He has an ability which roots 3 random enemies stopping their attacks. He is best paired with a Lyca otherwise he might not fire it off before dying but still worth trying him.

Front line try Lucius or Brutus paired with Shemira. Only one of the tanks, which ever fits the level better, make sure he has the best tank gear

Backline should be Nemora, Tasi, and Arden

If you get a Lyca then Nemora, Tasi or Arden (try one then the other if you get stuck), and Lyca. Sometimes you might take out Nemora and use haste (Lyca) and 2 CC

In this comp shemira should be highest level over everyone, with best gear.

This isn't by any means the only way forward but this comp has been my go to for a long while now. My wife doesn't use any of the heroes I use and she passes me every now and then.

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 4, 2019

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

AFK has taught me patience and not much else. But some days nothing happens at all and those suck. Level up a couple times, see you are still not strong enough, repeat over and over. I dont understand why people would spend money just to fast forward to the next wall but oh well.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Sleekly posted:

AFK has taught me patience and not much else. But some days nothing happens at all and those suck. Level up a couple times, see you are still not strong enough, repeat over and over. I dont understand why people would spend money just to fast forward to the next wall but oh well.

You answered your own question.. They spend money because the days of not doing anything suck and they have no patience.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

New Leaf posted:

You answered your own question.. They spend money because the days of not doing anything suck and they have no patience.

I've been tempted. Whenever I collect the regal rewards and it shows me all the purple shards I'd be collecting if I was VIP. But it just seems so silly to pay for this! Its an effective business model, gotta give em that. The whales at the top must be spending shitloads to maintain it.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
It's also like $15 for a 10 pull and there's no rarity guarantees. The game is a total rip if you pay

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Yea, I saw some numbers thrown around on reddit when they were discussing whales. Like tens of thousands for a full starred ascended tier hero. So the big whales like the bitcoin guy probably drop hundreds of thousands. Nuts but I guess thanks for paying for the games development so the rest of us can play

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sleekly posted:

I've been tempted. Whenever I collect the regal rewards and it shows me all the purple shards I'd be collecting if I was VIP. But it just seems so silly to pay for this! Its an effective business model, gotta give em that. The whales at the top must be spending shitloads to maintain it.
I think what I was trying to say the other day was that if there was one premium pass and it unlocked the premium rewards on everything, i'd be very tempted. But when there's three or 4 at £18 each... Not so much.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Aramoro posted:

Tap the notice and you can clear it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Resdfru posted:

Yea, I saw some numbers thrown around on reddit when they were discussing whales. Like tens of thousands for a full starred ascended tier hero. So the big whales like the bitcoin guy probably drop hundreds of thousands. Nuts but I guess thanks for paying for the games development so the rest of us can play

Yeah there is that. GTA Online is extremely similar come to think of it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Schubalts posted:

Tap the notice and you can clear it.

Nah it's down for patch and now it's just been pushed out for another 2 hr maintenance

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah there's a whale in our region named Bitizen and he has a fully 5* (or whatever) ascended new unit like the day or day after it comes out. The money it must take to do that is probably in the thousands if not close to 5-digits. He's also won I think 3 or 4 championships so far.

Don't feel bad for him or anything, these people are usually trust fund kids or bored real estate investors or whatever, they are completely in a different realm than normal people. I would say these amounts of money are only problematic if they are not disposable income or interfere with your daily life and he's been going for a while so I doubt that's the case. He's basically paying for AFK Arena salaries.

That said people like him and the popularity of gacha/phone games means it's way easier to just throw together a studio and make a new phone game than it is to make a new MMO or even AAA game, the profit margins on this poo poo are just insane.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I still find it amazing that the best way to make money on this platform is to take MMO style grinding, remove any of the gameplay that real MMOs have, and then hope to hook enough suckers who have both a large amount of money and extremely low resistance to skinner boxes.

This is not the future I envisioned for gaming when smart phones first hit the market.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

ponzicar posted:

I still find it amazing that the best way to make money on this platform is to take MMO style grinding, remove any of the gameplay that real MMOs have, and then hope to hook enough suckers who have both a large amount of money and extremely low resistance to skinner boxes.

This is not the future I envisioned for gaming when smart phones first hit the market.

:capitalism:

...I say while continuing to play AFK Arena.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I thought it over for days before dropping $1.49 worth of Google bux on the game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Clocks posted:

Yeah there's a whale in our region named Bitizen and he has a fully 5* (or whatever) ascended new unit like the day or day after it comes out. The money it must take to do that is probably in the thousands if not close to 5-digits. He's also won I think 3 or 4 championships so far.

Don't feel bad for him or anything, these people are usually trust fund kids or bored real estate investors or whatever, they are completely in a different realm than normal people. I would say these amounts of money are only problematic if they are not disposable income or interfere with your daily life and he's been going for a while so I doubt that's the case. He's basically paying for AFK Arena salaries.

That said people like him and the popularity of gacha/phone games means it's way easier to just throw together a studio and make a new phone game than it is to make a new MMO or even AAA game, the profit margins on this poo poo are just insane.

There was some Middle Eastern millionaire who dropped thousands at a time on some mobile game or another so they retooled their content drops to be the colors of his nation's flag so he'd spend more lol

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have the mindset that the paywall is a challenge to overcome. I'm often not up to it because the loop sucks but I find this oddly satisfying, though I also think I have a strong team

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The bonus for having 4 or 5 of the same faction is pretty strong. Im going lightbringer with the sheep, just broke the 140 wall, well into stage 12.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

That sheep! I've never simultaneously hated and wanted a character so badly.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Baddog posted:

The bonus for having 4 or 5 of the same faction is pretty strong. Im going lightbringer with the sheep, just broke the 140 wall, well into stage 12.

I'm going Belinda, Hendrik, Lucius, Rowan, and Saveas and it has carried me real far. Once I get past 160 though who knows probably swap Hendrik out with Brutus and Saveas out with Shemira and Rowan out with sheep.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Just gonna toss out another "Hi I'm interested in the Epic 7 goon discord and guild!" Post in case someone here sees it. I'm SaxSA in-game.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Saxophone posted:

Just gonna toss out another "Hi I'm interested in the Epic 7 goon discord and guild!" Post in case someone here sees it. I'm SaxSA in-game.

I'm Uhmmm in game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Clocks posted:

I was reading an article about microtransactions which put an interesting spin on it from the perspective of a 'whale' player.

We always view them as slightly stupid for paying for microtransactions rather than getting it for free by grinding. However, to them it's a simple 'time is money' equation.

Imagine you're silly rich, like Jeff Bezos rich. At the last estimate, Bezos makes an average of $8,961,187 million per hour. Lets be generous and say an hour's grinding in a game would get you materials that would cost $4.99 to buy.

So Jeff is faced with a choice of what to do for the next hour. Either grind at a mobile game and earn $4.99 of materials, or do his job, earn $8,961,187 million and then spend $9.98 on microtransactions and obtain twice as much in game AND an insane amount in reality.

He could very easily buy several $99 packs until he had an epic Lucius / Belinda team, and still be ahead in terms of the real world cash he earned in that hour, compared to if he had just ground the game for that hour.

Bezos is an extreme example, but the point remains - most whales are investment bankers and entrepeneurs for whom an hour grinding in game is not as productive as doing an hour's exchanging shares and then spending less than 1% of what they earned on just buying what they want and having it right away.

I think a lot of us tend to view it in a sunk-cost kind of wsy, like 'how much have I spent overall on this lovely mobile hell' rather than viewing it as a rolling cashflow thing.

To clarify, I do not think any of this is ok, I just understand that it happens and that a significant enough proportion of game development is driven by and panders to these people that it's impossible to ignore for the companies that get into it primarily to make money rather than games.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 5, 2019