Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

User0015 posted:

Cost? Part of the cost calculation in UBI is assuming about 1.5 - 1.8T out of the 3.4T it costs a year comes from already existing social safety nets. If we simply added on, you'd start seeing costs exceed 4.5 to 5T a year. That might even be doable, but I'm also fine with piloting UBI first and then growing safety net budgets if needed if that doesn't account for enough.

Here's a radical thought: Maybe letting some Silicon Valley techbro billionaire slash the everloving gently caress out of the social safety net without an actual proven replacement is, in fact, a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

she was talking about the PhillyBuster food truck, obviously

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Nah, Kamala isn't going to back track on gnd. She will instead create a policy of tax credits for adding bike racks in under served communities, call that "green new deal" and use every endorsement of the existing gnd as if it was an endorsement of her policy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1169383337909260288

This strikes me as a not-bad thing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The editor of the Root getting eviscerated for bad faith tweets is cool and good.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This guy was mocking and openly hostile to the left only a few weeks ago. Internals got his rear end scared.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nonsense posted:

This guy was mocking and openly hostile to the left only a few weeks ago. Internals got his rear end scared.

That and the unending stream of horrific press that the DCCC's been getting this entire election season.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Kamala Good? Or is she just choosing to ignore that the Green New Deal as stated includes single-payer healthcare, free college, and a jobs guarantee?

CNN lost an important bit of context there. What she actually said (or, at least, what her campaign tweeted) is that she'll pass a Green New Deal, not the Green New Deal.
https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1169376592419786755

Let's not forget how many Democrats say they support "Medicare for All" - but not Bernie's Medicare for All.

To be fair, Harris is a co-sponsor of AOC's Green New Deal bill. But on the other hand, she's also a co-sponsor of Bernie's Medicare For All bill, yet she was caught at the Hamptons a week or two ago saying she didn't actually support it.
https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1163422811165286405

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also Court packing is definitely correct. too bad so sad we’re gonna do it get over it libs

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1169370090145554433?s=20

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Here's the thing:
EITHER

You pay more in a VAT tax on all consumer goods, BUT take the dividend and then keep approximately the same level of benefits as you had before (admittedly with more flexibility) AND THEN are either approximately as well of as you were before, or worse (due to the VAT)

OR

You pay more in a VAT tax on all consumer goods, BUT don't take the dividend AND THEN are worse off mathematically than you were before

It's math, it's logic. Yang's proposal shafts anyone currently using government benefits, because they get the same benefits OR a comparable benefit (the UBI), BUT also pay significantly more in tax.

100% agreed that a VAT tax is regressive in a vacuum. But that VAT tax won't be in a vacuum. Combine it with UBI, M4A, his plan to introduce free child care, paid time off, single parent assistance along with a host of other social proposals, and I would expect to see a gain even on the low end.

But let's say you're right: In either scenario they choose, their cost of living goes up instead of down and they end up paying more shopping from Amazon. Compare those numbers with a min wage increase to $15 an hour. With UBI, the wage increase is roughly $6 tax free, so given Amazon will raise prices regardless of a VAT Tax + UBI or a minimum wage hike, what is the cost difference going to look like for the poorest consumers? I'd bet not much different in the end. But Amazon would continue to pay zero taxes in one of those two cases.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
If you decreased all tax rates to zero imagine how much the consumer would save!!!1

Congrats, you are a republican parrot or a loving moron. In either case, sorry for your lots

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Oh my God the brainworms are eating their own.

https://twitter.com/rethe125/status/1169358350934585345

e: Also I didn't see this posted yet:

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1169354932492931074

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 5, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

User0015 posted:

Cost? Part of the cost calculation in UBI is assuming about 1.5 - 1.8T out of the 3.4T it costs a year comes from already existing social safety nets. If we simply added on, you'd start seeing costs exceed 4.5 to 5T a year. That might even be doable, but I'm also fine with piloting UBI first and then growing safety net budgets if needed if that doesn't account for enough.

That's the fundamental flaw in every aspect of Yang's UBI plans - whenever he needs to hurt one group in order to help everyone, he chooses the poor to bear the pain. Cutting programs for the poor in order to hand out money to the middle and upper classes is a downright silly approach. He could raise a couple trillion dollars with progressive income or wealth taxes, but he prefers to make that money by imposing regressive sales taxes and slashing services for those who are worst-off.

User0015 posted:

100% agreed that a VAT tax is regressive in a vacuum. But that VAT tax won't be in a vacuum. Combine it with UBI, M4A, his plan to introduce free child care, paid time off, single parent assistance along with a host of other social proposals, and I would expect to see a gain even on the low end.

Yang doesn't have a plan to introduce free childcare, unless you have insider info about something he hasn't released yet. And he's backtracked significantly on M4A as well; for instance, he scrubbed all mention of "single payer" from his website back in April, and his current site is so vague about his current healthcare stance that it doesn't really say anything.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

User0015 posted:

How many people currently benefit from the services you're saying we need to cut for yangbux? Because if it's less than half of the country, then either the numbers here are ludicrously wrong, or they're based on some people opting in to yangbux and losing more than a thousand bucks a month in benefits, or both. My money's on both.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

Probably she only gets 40, and then take a break for jibber jabber while they set up for Biden.

Also, even though climate change is the biggest problem we face, this format looks loving excruciating to watch.

Tom Perez: See?! We were right to not hold a debate on this!

e: https://twitter.com/kaitlin_sb/status/1169401266784493568

Biden's taking a beating tonight so far. Loving it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 5, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Majorian posted:

lol someone just asked Joe about this

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

lol someone just asked Joe about this

And Cooper's not letting him wiggle out of it, either. Good stuff.

e: HOLY poo poo, "I didn't realize [the exec whose fundraiser I'm going to right after this] does that!"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

lol joe doesn't even know the people whose fundraisers he's going to

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DC Murderverse posted:

Doesn't care, either.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Main Paineframe posted:

That's the fundamental flaw in every aspect of Yang's UBI plans - whenever he needs to hurt one group in order to help everyone, he chooses the poor to bear the pain. Cutting programs for the poor in order to hand out money to the middle and upper classes is a downright silly approach. He could raise a couple trillion dollars with progressive income or wealth taxes, but he prefers to make that money by imposing regressive sales taxes and slashing services for those who are worst-off.

Yang doesn't have a plan to introduce free childcare, unless you have insider info about something he hasn't released yet. And he's backtracked significantly on M4A as well; for instance, he scrubbed all mention of "single payer" from his website back in April, and his current site is so vague about his current healthcare stance that it doesn't really say anything.

Besides the VAT, he's mentioned capital gains and carried interest taxes. He also has taxes on market trades, which I assume is pretty much bernie's plan of taxing high-frequency trading. I think it's more an issue that all of these taxes he could levy on people will just be circumvented in some way. Part of the reason a VAT is on the table among any other taxation method is specifically because avoiding VAT is near impossible, which is precisely what most of these businesses have been doing for so long already.

You're right about the childcare. He mentions tax credits for it, but that's a wet fart compared to freely available childcare.

Single payer is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPqmThOc5lI&t=68s

TL;DR is he wants to remove private insurers except for super rich people who want to pay piles of money for some reason, roll out medicare for everyone and allow the government to negotiate drug prices.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

joe doesn't seem to be aware of where he is right now either

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Man, Biden is really not coming off as a "happy warrior," as they say.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
SO. MANY. NEW. JOBS

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Majorian posted:

Ok but what if he didn't have a face for some reason

I had a half an idea for a joke when I made this but I can't remember what the hell it was. Hopefully somebody can find a funny use for them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1169407359921348608

Old man Biden not doing so hot tonight?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/SymoneDSanders/status/1169403850928902144

Look. A paid liar is lying.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/BernieBroStar/status/1169374612729282560?s=19

Can't wait to see the audience plants that ask Bernie questions all get outed as the children of oil execs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Crowd's more Bernie-friendly than I thought. Nice.

"If you're in the fossil fuel industry, you're gonna be paying higher taxes, that's for sure!"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/OkieLibSherry/status/1169405639904374789?s=20

c'mon Symone, gotta do better than that

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I have a weird acquaintance that supports Bernie but also defends VAT because he says the IRS can simply refund the money to those that needed it. E.g. yang tax, poor person pays tax on food, gets that tax money back because they're poor. I said that hurts them because they live paycheck to paycheck. He said the system can pay them back every week or month, doesnt have to be once a year. How do I respond to that? Aside from saying regressive vat tax is bad and also rich people can avoid it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ranter posted:

I have a weird acquaintance that supports Bernie but also defends VAT because he says the IRS can simply refund the money to those that needed it. E.g. yang tax, poor person pays tax on food, gets that tax money back because they're poor. I said that hurts them because they live paycheck to paycheck. He said the system can pay them back every week or month, doesnt have to be once a year. How do I respond to that? Aside from saying regressive vat tax is bad and also rich people can avoid it

How the hell is someone living paycheck to paycheck supposed to fill out itemized monthly tax returns

Vat bad

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ranter posted:

This same idea was floated for the flat tax, i.e. we'll just send millions of people a monthly check to make up the difference. The problem is that such a system requires a MASSIVE amount of bureaucracy to carry out, requires poor people to jump through even more hoops than they already do to prove they deserve the refunds, and as you noted to your very dimwitted friend, offering a refund assumes they can afford the higher cost in the first place.

Long story short: if your tax is so burdensome that you need to institute a massive refund apparatus to make it work, then maybe you should try a different taxation model. There are a lot of ways to do taxes that don't hurt the poor, so maybe try one of those.

Edit: And of course "the IRS can simply refund the money" is the most laughable statement ever. I doubt the current IRS could keep up with that sort of workload. Staffing the IRS to the levels necessary to accomplish the work would require years of buildout while people starve due to six month processing delays and erroneous denials that require you to miss work on a Tuesday to show up to an appeal hearing.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 5, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Hes saying they dont need to fill anything out regularly. The IT systems at the other end will send them the money back pronto, but the private business must be regulated to send such info back in real time.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

overmind2000 posted:

I don't remember registering in the past few years as my state has an open primary, but I might have registered back in 2008 or something.

Based on the state you lived in, if you voted in a Democratic primary, that would be public information.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ranter posted:

Hes saying they dont need to fill anything out regularly. The IT systems at the other end will send them the money back pronto, but the private business must be regulated to send such info back in real time.

Lots of poor folks don't have fixed addresses and it's ridiculous to think that kind of itemized regular recompense is possible. You'd lose more in admin costs than you'd gain.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ranter posted:

What? Does he think the IRS logs all purchases individually or something? How will the IRS know I bought three loaves of bread and saw the doctor and am due X amount of tax money without me telling them?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ranter posted:

He has no idea how tax collecting actually works then, there's no point in debating with him because he's living in a fantasy.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
edit: this isnt cspam

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A tax ID number per merchant/transaction isn’t the dumbest idea ever suggested. If I can enter the vat ID for Subway and then the ID for my receipt and get the tax deposited to me, that’s cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Wicked Them Beats posted:

What? Does he think the IRS logs all purchases individually or something? How will the IRS know I bought three loaves of bread and saw the doctor and am due X amount of tax money without me telling them?

Those private businesses must have an IT system to connect back to the IRS in real time. Hes saying all such problems eith vat could be solved with tech but the government must impose and pay for it.