Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1169384686289702916

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

PAAAAARRRRP posted:

If live but untriggered, we envisage a mine’s lifespan to be measured in days rather than minutes.

Sure you can pull that off and make it fun too, buddy.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

RSI posted:

Q: What’s the rationale behind a near-capital size minelayer only having 24 mines to use in the infinite vastness of space?
A: A single mine covers a significant area, so a huge number of mines aren’t necessary.
Q: What is the detection range of the mines and sentries (how far away before the mines engage an enemy)?
A: That said, we expect each mine to have at least a minimum engagement radius of between 5 and 10km.

:lol:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So it can protect a spherical volume of about 15km radius.

How big are the space stations again?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fuuuuuuuuuuuucking lmao

I can't form the words to respond to this, its too bafflingly stupid

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Don't worry guys, pretty soon they'll announce the tier 2 minelayer which punches above its weight

Oh, you already bought the original minelayer? Well, you can upgrade for just $500! New cash, that is. $550 if you bought the thing we said would be great but now say sucks.

you bought it?

Cool, check out this tier 3 minelayer!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Hello thread, since several posters have been posting their SC-spanning bios, I thought I'd share a bit of my own recent life story. About a month ago, I had an adverse reaction to a psychiatric med I just started taking, and essentially had a massive, daylong series of panic attacks. After that calmed down, I developed a host of PTSD-style symptoms (basically PTSD, but they don't call it that unless it's been a while). So for the past four weeks I've been dealing with wild mood swings, severe bouts of anxiety and depression, dissociation, hypersensitivity, and some other fun stuff. Progress is also extremely uneven, meaning that I'll have a good day, followed by a couple of crummy ones. And on it's gone. But I'm finally starting to come out of it. The last few days have brought a lot of hope and positivity.

Throughout it all, though, this thread has been a lifeline of laughs. I've been too out of it to post myself, but needless to say you lot have helped get me through this. So as the curtain falls, I say thank you, and look forward to the same insanity in the next thread.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Thank you.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Tippis posted:

I only have my stored copies — not the original.

Thank you

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Hello thread, since several posters have been posting their SC-spanning bios, I thought I'd share a bit of my own recent life story. About a month ago, I had an adverse reaction to a psychiatric med I just started taking, and essentially had a massive, daylong series of panic attacks. After that calmed down, I developed a host of PTSD-style symptoms (basically PTSD, but they don't call it that unless it's been a while). So for the past four weeks I've been dealing with wild mood swings, severe bouts of anxiety and depression, dissociation, hypersensitivity, and some other fun stuff. Progress is also extremely uneven, meaning that I'll have a good day, followed by a couple of crummy ones. And on it's gone. But I'm finally starting to come out of it. The last few days have brought a lot of hope and positivity.

Throughout it all, though, this thread has been a lifeline of laughs. I've been too out of it to post myself, but needless to say you lot have helped get me through this. So as the curtain falls, I say thank you, and look forward to the same insanity in the next thread.

Stay strong Aqua, when I was a teenager the psych my dad forced me to go to gave me a med that turned me into a paranoid, kept thinking planes flying over at night were Russian bombers. Instead of taking me off it they put me on another that made me so hyper I couldn't sit still even in church. Finally, they gave me yet another which caused me to itch uncontrollably. I finally came to the conclusion the psych group I was going to were nothing more than med pushers. Took myself off them and never looked back. The diagnosis was I was suicidal, strange, here I am 30 years later with no ideation or desire to commit suicide.

I guess what I am saying is meds can help or hurt, make sure you find a doctor that actually gives a drat about you and not how much they can get in perks from the local drug rep.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Cheers, monkeytek, so sorry to hear about your travails. Yeah, I'm on a low dose of something else that seems to be doing little to nothing until I decide my next move. The psych I met with after the fact was pretty useless. I need to make plans.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is still my favorite poo poo shitizsn mokent

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Your average gun in Star Citizen has an engagement envelope of 100-500 meters.

The missiles in this game only go out to 2km.

They are operating on pure loving fantasy, once again.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Is that the real Lethality ? Or a troll account ?

Or did a goon FUDster impersonate or hack into his account ?

Does Tojal still like his sexy bears ?

Will Star Citizen be good one day ?

So many questions, so much confusion...

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/czs09e/physical_items_mia/

By the time the game comes out noone will be using USB drives anymore

first pre order bonus to ever go obsolete

You know I'm legit surprised they don't just section off like 5 mil to fulfill this. it can't cost much more than that for this, itt would be good will, and once they inevitably pack it in it'll look better in "they obviously tried" court.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Banner_Wolf/status/1169399130671595521

Possible.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

it's just bugged out terrain

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Derek Smart did nothing wrong :colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SoftNum posted:

You know I'm legit surprised they don't just section off like 5 mil to fulfill this. it can't cost much more than that for this, itt would be good will, and once they inevitably pack it in it'll look better in "they obviously tried" court.

They'd have to do it without telling Chris tho. It wouldn't be hard or expensive to have a novelty USB drive or a spaceship model model made in China, but to actually get it done they'd need to just assign the artists to bang something it out and get it made without Chris refactoring it into oblivion.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Nellistos posted:

"RSI posted:

Q: What’s the rationale behind a near-capital size minelayer only having 24 mines to use in the infinite vastness of space?
A: A single mine covers a significant area, so a huge number of mines aren’t necessary.
Q: What is the detection range of the mines and sentries (how far away before the mines engage an enemy)?
A: That said, we expect each mine to have at least a minimum engagement radius of between 5 and 10km.
:lol:

I feel like there needs to be a Douglas Adams quote here about how mind-bogglingly big space is here.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

RSI posted:

This is nuts. I can't wrap my head around how little you have to know about the subject matter you're ostensibly making a game about to think this is a good and normal answer to the question. The chance of hitting a "mine" in space, with a radius of 10km, is pretty much 0%, even if you're flying completely at random without even looking out the window. It would be nearly impossible to even hit the mine intentionally at those velocities and with the kinds of distances you're talking about with space travel. You'd have to have your computer target the mine and tractor it in to have a chance of getting hit by it.

#1 activity if the minelayer makes it in game: follow a minelayer ship and blow up the mine the moment it deploys it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Didn't their missile truck only have a range of 2km?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Anticheese posted:

Didn't their missile truck only have a range of 2km?

Yes and they literally had just finished advertising how it was going to cover this huge envelope.

Everything they say in the Q&A stuff is borderline fraud, I don't know how they justify it

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

#1 activity if the minelayer makes it in game: follow a minelayer ship and blow up the mine the moment it deploys it.

Actually the #1 activity that will happen if they actually put the minelayer in will be, watching it try to take off or fly anywhere without exploding/imploding/suddenly splitting into every renderable component instantly from the hitbox overlappy jittery "fidelity mines" janking out in the hull. Can almost bet money on the server making GBS threads its pants and 'nope'-ing into oblivion too. :)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Not if they have stuff to counter your NEMO drones!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

This is nuts. I can't wrap my head around how little you have to know about the subject matter you're ostensibly making a game about to think this is a good and normal answer to the question.

You need to come up some sort of in-game justification that allows you to limit the amount of objects the server has to actively track.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

This is nuts. I can't wrap my head around how little you have to know about the subject matter you're ostensibly making a game about to think this is a good and normal answer to the question. The chance of hitting a "mine" in space, with a radius of 10km, is pretty much 0%, even if you're flying completely at random without even looking out the window. It would be nearly impossible to even hit the mine intentionally at those velocities and with the kinds of distances you're talking about with space travel. You'd have to have your computer target the mine and tractor it in to have a chance of getting hit by it.

they are homing mines. but theres mines with turrets on them too so the turret mines will actually be shorter range, ?lol?

SCLUL
Jan 11, 2019

:vince: I'm ashamed I missed this and I lurk here pretty hard. Jesus Christ I laughed so hard. Beet and Galarox I salute you. Pure comedy.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

You didn't...you didn't...actually try to play Star Citizen, did you?

Seriously, remember it's just your brain doing stuff. Let it. Be open to what it's doing, listen to what it's saying, put that in the place it belongs, and ride it out. The important thing is that you persist.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

trucutru posted:

Funding Nemo

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
So before the thread closes and moves on, kicks the bucket, is bereft of life, can we get a "SCAM Chums" gang tag?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Sarsapariller posted:

Everything they say in the Q&A stuff is borderline fraud, I don't know how they justify it

Is there any possibility for a fraud case when real money stuff in games is provably not what was advertised?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

Or they could just wait for the mines to despawn (5 mins, if they dont jank out faster), or just not fly into the tiny engagement area, just go around/above/below them.

They did say they had like a sextillion cubed miles of space to fly around in, why if there was all that space would anyone worry about a specific 30 miles cubed of basically angry janky space midgets armed with tennis racquets? :shrug:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
CIG could've gone more creative with the minelaying machine being a disposable 3D printer that prints out mines covering an area of space like a cynosural field in EVE.

3 Types of mines:
- Anti Citizen
- Anti Whale
- Anti Reddit

Wouldn't be that hard the come out with something like that would it?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

They did say they had like a sextillion cubed miles of space to fly around in, why if there was all that space would anyone worry about a specific 30 miles cubed

Because that's where B'Tak is

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Facebook Aunt posted:

Will SCAM mods become Games mods, or will they lose the incredible prestige and authority that comes with being a Something Awful moderator?

The fact that I not only died but also killed Derek Smart and didn't become a mod is the worst mistale Lowtax made on the 13th of September 2018 at 1624. The rest of his day was swell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Dementropy posted:

Funding Nemo

mods please in our hour of need