Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dave Grool posted:

If nothing else you'll learn breakfalls from judo which are an essential life skill imo. They should teach that poo poo to everybody in grade school

110%. Saved my rear end so many times.

Xguard86 posted:

Nice. Also one of the grappling panels includes a ball-shot before shanking them.

The assorted fechtbuchs are really not shy about the advantages of the tactical nut shot.

slidebite posted:

Best option is to not get in the position to need them in the first place, but there absolutely are knife defense moves. We recently spent a class focusing on knife defense and it was incredibly interesting since it was so different from what we typically do. You're not going to learn it on a forum though and needs to be taught from someone in person that knows what the hell they are doing.

Isn't knife defense mostly about accepting that you're going to get cut, and then learning how to keep those cuts to the places you're likely to live long enough to get medical help before you bleed out?

I've only ever seen the aftermath of a real knife fight once, but man did it stick with me.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

willie_dee posted:

Did you try it using marker pens? Because every video I've seen that's impartial shows the defense tactics do gently caress all and people end up with a poo poo ton of marker on them.

Liquid Communism posted:

Isn't knife defense mostly about accepting that you're going to get cut, and then learning how to keep those cuts to the places you're likely to live long enough to get medical help before you bleed out?

I've only ever seen the aftermath of a real knife fight once, but man did it stick with me.
Oh, you'll almost certainly get cut. Possibly die. It's foolish to think your going to get out unscathed, even against someone that's not skilled with a knife.

We used wooden knives and between my partner and myself we noticed we bruised each other up pretty good on our arms and torso when we were changing for class the next day.

I don't think anyone would argue the best way to "win" a knife fight is to avoid it at all costs. Run, scream for help, give the guy your wallet, cry, whatever. But if getting attacked is going to happen whether you like it or not, hopefully the attacker doesn't know how to use a knife. You will still almost certainly get cut, but there are some techniques which give you a chance to defend yourself.

As none of us knew how to use knives, we were attacking as best we could during class and some of the techniques worked. Some not so much, especially if the attacker did a last moment change.

Either way, this isn't really a specific martial arts thing so much as general self defense and you are not going to learn anything without a lot of one on one training with someone that knows what the hell they are doing.

But yep, still a good chance you're going to die.

e: \/ I think there is some logic there \/

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 6, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The serious answer for the extremely unlikely scenario in that you need to

a) fight someone with a knife

b) who has let you see the knife before attempting to stab you

c) with no opportunity to run or negotiate

Is teeps and wrist control.

"b)" is extremely important from a tactical perspective. If someone's primary goal is to stab you, they will almost certainly not let you see the knife before it is inside your body. What makes knives really dangerous is how concealable and quickly readied they are. If someone shows you a knife, it means that they actually want something else other than to stab you - your money, for you to gently caress off, for them to avoid getting their teeth kicked in, or whatever. If you see the knife, it means that you can probably negotiate, deescalate, or whatever.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Recommendations for de-stanking my sparring gear? It's getting to bio-hazard levels. I'm considering tossing my feet and hand protectors and replacing them.

EDIT: Hands are these: https://www.centurymartialarts.com/shop/sparring/sparring-gloves/c-gear-gloves-11540 . Feet are these https://www.centurymartialarts.com/shop/sparring/boots/c-gear-boots-11240

captkirk fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 6, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Feet and head seem to air out ok for me, it's my gloves which are tricky. Glove dogs and maybe a dryer sheet seem to work well. Put them in the when wet and the really help reduce the funk.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

captkirk posted:

Recommendations for de-stanking my sparring gear? It's getting to bio-hazard levels. I'm considering tossing my feet and hand protectors and replacing them.

EDIT: Hands are these: https://www.centurymartialarts.com/shop/sparring/sparring-gloves/c-gear-gloves-11540 . Feet are these https://www.centurymartialarts.com/shop/sparring/boots/c-gear-boots-11240

Anything that's made out of non-natural materials (nylon/foam/etc) can be soaked in the kitchen sink with oxyclean for a bit. Then you squeezed it out several times and do it again with clean water.

I'll then lay them over an air vent, or set them outside in the sun.

If it's leather I give it a wipe off with a vinigar/water solution.

Also, my gear bag is a net bag (and it's not stuffed full) so there's air flow and everything dries out pretty quickly in my hot car.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Phrase I've heard in EMS is that the loser of a knife fight dies in the street and the winner dies in our ambulance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Khizan posted:

Phrase I've heard in EMS is that the loser of a knife fight dies in the street and the winner dies in our ambulance.

That would fit with what I saw. I've butchered deer and had less of a mess than that street.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
On the knife fight topic: I'm super uncomfortable when we do knife self "defense" stuff in TKD with kids. It terrifies me that one of these kids might ends up at like 19 or 20 thinking they might successfully disarm a dude with a knife. Sure we mention all the time "don't do this stuff if they just want your wallet or phone, just give them up" but then we spend 20 minutes drilling something that isn't "hand over your stuff and cry like a bitch"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

captkirk posted:

On the knife fight topic: I'm super uncomfortable when we do knife self "defense" stuff in TKD with kids. It terrifies me that one of these kids might ends up at like 19 or 20 thinking they might successfully disarm a dude with a knife. Sure we mention all the time "don't do this stuff if they just want your wallet or phone, just give them up" but then we spend 20 minutes drilling something that isn't "hand over your stuff and cry like a bitch"

We didn't do self-d in my judo class this year but next time we do it we might do the marker thing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

captkirk posted:

My kid tkd class did a markers day and it sure as hell kept me from thinking I'd win any kind of knife scenario.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

You need ACTION JEANS with the flexible crotch.

You joke but these are a pretty big thing https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-duluthflex-ballroom-coolmax-jeans-46217.html

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Liquid Communism posted:

Its pretty much this.

Even the best training and athleticism only improves your odds of survival from 50% to about 52%.

On top of that, even with modern training tools like shock-knives and such, its still unreasonably hard to practice effectively since the kind of techniques/power/speed needed to subdue someone with a knife and the level of resistance needed from your training partner to get a realistic look is frankly only marginally more safe than just straight up actually knife fighting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Took a nice kick to the thumb. 5 minutes before the end of class.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

And yesterday morning lol. Actually *tons* better today.

I think icing it a lot Friday really helped.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ok, have a couple of updates on judo so far.

As I pointed out last time, by far the biggest 'culture shock' is having my hands/fingers free and being able to pull anywhere on the sleeve, not just around the neck or via underhook. Accordingly, I'm inconsistent/late with kuzushi (the off balancing aspect of each throw, for those who are not familiar with judo). When I see the black belts demonstrating, the kuzushi is efficient and smooth all through the throw. That's obviously the direction practing and drilling is supposed to take you, but I don't have any feel for it yet.
At best, my throws feel most natural when we're doing the drills where you step backward three steps and use uke's momentum in following you to assist a bit in the throw. It's easy to feel out when I'm stuttering and killing that momentum, though actually flowing nicely into the throw still eludes me.

The format our school takes is this:
- for a couple weeks, there's one standing technique and one ground concept covered.
- last cycle, it was seio nage (and variants) and attacks against a turtled opponent (in the context of judo newaza ruleset)
- usually, there's not any breakdown of the throw. We go into drills, and I have to practice new throws from scratch during the drill. I'm fine with it; it's just less productive for me as a white belt, and sometimes for my partner if I'm going slow and not letting them get in as many reps
- a lot of the drills focus on refinement when I haven't quite gotten the hang of the basics

Anyways, I've seen 4 or 5 throws, but can't remember most of the names or applications, certainly not the details of the technique.
The first throw I learned is the one I have the most practice with, so it's the one I keep trying to do when we have our choice of throw. Unsurprising in any respect.
Anyways, my go-to happens to be o goshi.
There's a few difficulties with it as my only throw. I haven't figured out how to gracefully move from a lapel grip to around the waist or grabbing the belt in conjuncton with kuzushi. For drilling, I've been told to just start with an underhook or behind the waist. That helps with drills, but I don't exactly get that edge in randori. I've been told that it's hard to go straight into an o goshi in sparring. I certainly hit a wall when the opponent has good grips and just stiff arms to keep me at bay.

I wish I'd learn one of the trips as a first throw. A few of the black belts seem sport oriented in their sparring and probably have 80% of their scoring throws with trips.
Anyways, it'll be a while before I have enough drill time before I'll try uchi mata or seio nage in randori.

One more thing that I'm struggling with is timing giving up grips and putting my arms out for breakfall. During sparring, I almost always hang on. I guess that's just my instinct from competition, to try to compromise/foul their scoring potential as much as possible by taking them with me? Anyways, I've been advised a couple times in drills not to hold on when being thrown. I don't quite know when to release -- it feels safer to me to hold on up until the apex of the throw, but I guess I can have my arms loose as soon as they go into kuzushi.

Ground rolling has been fun. They do let white belts roll with each other, which means I can get a round without waiting for some higher belt to free up.
One of the white belts got in my guard and immediately tried to break it by lowering his belt on my balls / inner legs. I was like, oh is this what we're doing? And put him in a triangle. I also got to rubber guard a few times, but I don't understand the judo pin rules to know if that's a stallable position.

On to something more interesting. I volunteered over the weekend to help tune up the mats/flooring. The main floor was fine; just needed to pick up the mats, clean them off, and swap them with the set in storage.

The smaller side floor was built with too-thin plywood, so the top boards (of two layers) were removed and replaced with thicker 1/2" sheets. Stepping on the single layer was tricky. Even with the 2nd layer laid on, there was a lot of cracking. The foam blocks under the first layer were (according to senior students) not quite arranged evenly, and the uneveness was amplified by the slight warping of the sheets:

No one likes sparring on the small floor cuz it's so hilly. After reassembing part of it, I'm not sure I want to spar on it, either.

Here's a cross section of how the floor is built up (thanks to one of the edge guards needing to be replaced):

Thick foam 6"x6" blocks are placed every couple feet on the hardwood floor. Then one layer of plywood sheets is placed on top. Another layer with edges offset is placed on top, and then drilled into the bottom layer. Then the judo mats (which have foam and cotton layers) are fitted on top, again with edges offset. The result is pretty firm but will give under heavy throws or falls. Still way less pleasant than the crash pads.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
O goshi is pretty difficult off a traditional sleeve-lapel grip. The time it takes to move your power hand to the back usually kills it. O goshi/tsuri goshi works best for me when fighting against an opposite grip, like I've got a right-handed grip and my opponent has left-handed. This allows me to open my stance, so my opponent and I are almost facing the same direction. I can also replace my right hand to the belt/lower back quickly and without as much risk. This allows me to enter with very little rotation, just a very quick hip movement.

If you like o goshi you'll probably really like koshi guruma. Instead of putting the right hand by the belt it goes around the head. If you've got a behind-the-neck lapel grip you don't need to move the hand at all. It's a quicker entry off a standard grip than o goshi, and if you really commit to it you can basically do a forward roll over your opponent, which feels nice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ihop posted:

O goshi is pretty difficult off a traditional sleeve-lapel grip. The time it takes to move your power hand to the back usually kills it.
It seems apparent both in drilling and sparring. I think at one point an instructor said that starting from sleeve-label would be how the throw would be graded for belt testing, which motivated me to practice it more traditionally, though I dunno if you have choice of throws for testing?

quote:

If you like o goshi you'll probably really like koshi guruma. Instead of putting the right hand by the belt it goes around the head. If you've got a behind-the-neck lapel grip you don't need to move the hand at all. It's a quicker entry off a standard grip than o goshi, and if you really commit to it you can basically do a forward roll over your opponent, which feels nice.
I see people doing that one a lot. Makes sense that it's easier given the shorter movement for the lapel hand. That's where most people who are drilling it start anyways.

I have no attachment to o goshi other than that was what was being shown the week I started, so I ended up with more reps and instruction for it than any other throw. We did a no gi version of it (grip/vine the forearm, underhook instead of behind the waist) in sanda, but it was mechanically way sloppier. I mean that we did it sloppily, even though it as always taught with the same care to foot placement and hip squareness. Punching someone first is a great way to have a bad entry not get blocked.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
O goshi, along with osoto gari, were two of the first throws I learned. They're also two of the techniques I had the most trouble with early on. This led me to believe that they are not effective, and I unfortunately spent a lot of years ignoring them. As I became a bit more comfortable in the clinch o goshi started to make sense. Now if I really want to bury someone o goshi is the throw I'd use.

Don't worry about testing for o goshi. Keep in mind that demo techniques aren't usually applied anywhere near full speed and power, and against zero resistance. Once you're comfortable positioning your hips correctly it's a very easy throw to demo.

Edit: if you're drilling o goshi with the goal of making it effective when sparring then definitely start with your right hand on/near the belt, your right foot close to uke's left foot, and your shoulders and hips opened 60 to 90-degrees to uke's. The crucial part of the throw is the quick positioning of the hips, and that should be the focus of uchi komi, not how quickly I can move my hand from one spot to another.

ihop fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 18, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A good way to make ogoshi work against an opponent who won't volunteer the underhook is to take a left vs right grip with inside position. It's the opponent's sleeve grip which normally stops you from digging in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

A good way to make ogoshi work against an opponent who won't volunteer the underhook is to take a left vs right grip with inside position. It's the opponent's sleeve grip which normally stops you from digging in.

ihop posted:

O goshi/tsuri goshi works best for me when fighting against an opposite grip, like I've got a right-handed grip and my opponent has left-handed.

Yeah, I've gotten inklings of that when switching grips just to try to change _something_ during sparring and I can't get initiate anything.

Oh, another thing the coaches called me out for -- I was leaning forward and keeping my hips back out of reach, thinking mostly defensively. It was giving me more time to react to stuff but also keeping myself that much further from being able to initiate my own attempts.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone familiar with the downtown-ish area of Seattle? I'm moving out to Seattle for job based in the downtown area and so I'm trying to find a replacement for my TKD school I currently attend. Seems like tai chi and aikido are pretty common but karate or TKD less so...

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I don't know its proximity to downtown, but I'd be surprised if U of W doesn't have a very cheap karate and/or TKD club that's open to community members.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think we had a Seattle based TKD club at one of the tournaments we went to a year or so ago. We're having a club BBQ tomorrow, I'll ask the masters if they remember who/where they were from.

e: Sorry, no dice on Seattle club. They were from elsewhere.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 12, 2019

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

So I followed my own advice and started BJJ about three weeks ago. The gym I'm at is about 5 minutes from my house, has tons of classes (gi, no gi, wrestling), and hooked me up w/ a sweet new gi to start out. I've been having a blast and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be rolling BJJ as a lifelong hobby. My current goal is to show up 3 days a week for class (m,w,f), although I think I might dip my toe in the wrestling class next Sunday, and I think I've been making some legit progress even in the short time that I've been going. I'm trying to focus on: breathing, surviving rather than going for submissions, viewing being submitted or otherwise beaten as an opportunity to learn and grow rather than get upset or down on myself, not getting injured, and keeping it playful. I'm having a great time. The exercise aspect is top notch and I'm tired all the time but in a good way. Socially it's been helping as well, in fact I watched the recent UFC at BWW with a large group from the gym and we had a fun time, they're a good group. I don't have many opportunities to get out w/ people. Everyone is super nice and supportive btw. One thing I've been wondering about is how to take the techniques from BJJ and translate them to a real fight scenario. This is something they apparently don't stress at my gym and I was just wondering how to go about it. I've heard of the Gracie Combatives but that looks like you need a like minded and dedicated partner to do outside the gym, and also mats. Thoughts? There's a tournament in my state this October and I get the distinct impression that my instructors would like for me to compete. I'm seriously considering it. I have no idea how much progress I can make between now and October but I'm excited to find out. Win or lose it sounds like an opportunity to grow and have a good time. Just thought I'd hop in the thread and let everyone know what's going on. Any advice is welcome. TIA

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Money Bags posted:

So I followed my own advice and started BJJ about three weeks ago. The gym I'm at is about 5 minutes from my house, has tons of classes (gi, no gi, wrestling), and hooked me up w/ a sweet new gi to start out. I've been having a blast and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be rolling BJJ as a lifelong hobby. My current goal is to show up 3 days a week for class (m,w,f), although I think I might dip my toe in the wrestling class next Sunday, and I think I've been making some legit progress even in the short time that I've been going. I'm trying to focus on: breathing, surviving rather than going for submissions, viewing being submitted or otherwise beaten as an opportunity to learn and grow rather than get upset or down on myself, not getting injured, and keeping it playful. I'm having a great time. The exercise aspect is top notch and I'm tired all the time but in a good way. Socially it's been helping as well, in fact I watched the recent UFC at BWW with a large group from the gym and we had a fun time, they're a good group. I don't have many opportunities to get out w/ people. Everyone is super nice and supportive btw. One thing I've been wondering about is how to take the techniques from BJJ and translate them to a real fight scenario. This is something they apparently don't stress at my gym and I was just wondering how to go about it. I've heard of the Gracie Combatives but that looks like you need a like minded and dedicated partner to do outside the gym, and also mats. Thoughts? There's a tournament in my state this October and I get the distinct impression that my instructors would like for me to compete. I'm seriously considering it. I have no idea how much progress I can make between now and October but I'm excited to find out. Win or lose it sounds like an opportunity to grow and have a good time. Just thought I'd hop in the thread and let everyone know what's going on. Any advice is welcome. TIA

1 - grappling is a marathon, not a sprint. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Don't be the all-too-common dude who starts enthusiastically and then disappears after 3-6 months.

2 - imo 95% of applying grappling to a real fight is knowing how to smother strikes and how to keep your cool when someone is throwing a punch at you. Also see the thread title.

3 - competitions aren't for everyone, but some people love them. I don't see anything wrong with competing early, so long as you don't expect to be mopping the floor with everyone.

4 - come to the grapple thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3386441 it's much more active.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Compete at white belt, it's only time you compete that everyone will be relatively close in skill level.

See thread title for using grappling in real life. You will eventually or should eventually cover the basic self defense techniques of jiu jitsu, the rest is smothering strikes, off balancing, and creating distance so you can run. But worry about literally everything else in jiu jitsu before you worry about how you're going to use it to defend yourself.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A karate studio opened within a walking distance and their hours fit my dumb working hours, so I guess it's time to wash the old gi.

I hope they say "oss" a lot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sumo is indeed a great base:
https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1166422052330516480

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That ended too soon.

Any of you folks use "Mudo" brand gear?

All my gear is Adidas (club sells that and some Drako) but I find my gloves and footpads last maybe a year before my fingers start to go through the tips of the gloves and my toes wear into the boots.

Thinking of trying a set of Mudo as they're about half price compared to Adidas and if they are just a wear item and last a year, might as well spend half as much.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola posted:

I hope they say "oss" a lot.
They don't say "oss". :sigh:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
assert your dominance by going "oss!" even if no one else does. extra points if they're counting to ten in japanese and you just say "oss! oss! oss! oss!" every time.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Now there's an idea!

On an unrelated note I recently finished Charles Russo's book Striking Distance: Bruce Lee & the Dawn of Martial Arts in America and I really enjoyed it. It's less of a Bruce Lee book and more of a local history of the Bay Area martial arts scene of the time and it's full of all kinds of neat local colour. I love how these people's idea of a "street fight" was a showdown behind the local YMCA. :allears:

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Cephas posted:

assert your dominance by going "oss!" even if no one else does. extra points if they're counting to ten in japanese and you just say "oss! oss! oss! oss!" every time.

I would laugh my loving rear end off if someone showed up to a judo practice and did this.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We had/have an "Oss" guy at the gym. It's awesome. Like after literally every sentence the instructor says he will say "Oss!"...Rolling with him and catch him in a sweep or sub? "Oss" Line up after class and shake everyone's hand? You betcha "Oss"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
broke: oss

woke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm_vqjxzvWI

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Trained last night and this new older gentleman was there in a red belt. I always make a point of talking to new adults and spoke briefly at the end of class. Turns out he trained back in the early 90s when my master was running classes at a local aboriginal community outreach and he really enjoyed it, but life happened and stopped coming. So now, at I'd say in his late 50s/60s, he decided to try it again which I thought was pretty cool to be honest pretty impressive

His luck, our instructor last night is one who is notorious for running a very physically demanding class and she didn't really let up much (I literally had a puddle of sweat under me within 5 minutes of class starting), but the old guy did his best to keep up which was pretty cool.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

slidebite posted:

Trained last night and this new older gentleman was there in a red belt. I always make a point of talking to new adults and spoke briefly at the end of class. Turns out he trained back in the early 90s when my master was running classes at a local aboriginal community outreach and he really enjoyed it, but life happened and stopped coming. So now, at I'd say in his late 50s/60s, he decided to try it again which I thought was pretty cool to be honest pretty impressive

His luck, our instructor last night is one who is notorious for running a very physically demanding class and she didn't really let up much (I literally had a puddle of sweat under me within 5 minutes of class starting), but the old guy did his best to keep up which was pretty cool.

That's super cool. There's a 71 year old purple belt at out gym.

I've often wondered what happens to people who love martial arts and want to do it until the day they die. It seems like most classes are tailored to the 20/30 year old crowd who can train super hard and be back the next day.

It'd be cool if some gyms offered "Masters" classes for those of us over 40.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Some gyms do an older guy class. I imagine "country club bjj" as I've heard it called will get more popular as time goes on. The sport only came to the US like 20 years ago and got big 10(?) years ago.

So as all these guys in their 20s and 30s age there will be more demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Some gyms do an older guy class. I imagine "country club bjj" as I've heard it called will get more popular as time goes on. The sport only came to the US like 20 years ago and got big 10(?) years ago.

So as all these guys in their 20s and 30s age there will be more demand.

I'm all for sending people who start BJJ in their 40's who are having a mid life crisis and peaked in college/highschool to their own class. Its a tie between those guys and "I want my first MMA fight in a month" guys for "spazzes out and does something dumb and dangerous"