Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

More importantly, when she realises he doesn't have solid enough control of the government to send MI5 after her.

lmao he can't even got MI6 weirdo Rory Stewart on side, MI5 are probably confused as gently caress about everything going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's truly incredible how disconnected Westminster's journalists are from everyone else

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
look all i'm saying is that if we burn david cameron in a wicker man on college green we can undo the last 3+ years of hell world

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Gasmask posted:

she was in the year below me and my friend nearly cast her in a play that's my gossip

my partner never got on with her, which i take as another sterling recommendation of her character

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
uk politics is... good??

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
UK politics is the best soap on British TV.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I don't know about good but UK politics are bloody entertaining.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i hope he turns up absolutely pissed and just spills the beans on everything once it looks like he's hosed https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1169566207676178433

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Junior G-man posted:

FT with the view from the EU (note: it's an opinion piece so grain of salt etc, but I think it's not far removed from where we are):
Angry white yokels in England elect to threaten their own productive base as a way of shoring up their immediate political / superstructural position, paradoxically strengthening Europe over Britain and risking the U.K.'s fragmentation.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

uk politics is... good??

Unlike in the USA, its conservatives will relentlessly ratfuck each other, which is at least entertaining.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

lmao he can't even got MI6 weirdo Rory Stewart on side, MI5 are probably confused as gently caress about everything going on.

Never seen a domestic intelligence agency that didn't like the fash, though.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/1169567381909323778

gently caress that was quick

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jose posted:

It's truly incredible how disconnected Westminster's journalists are from everyone else

Relatedly, John Nosferatu thinking that actually that Boris shitshow was actually him owning Corbyn.
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1169229773870116866

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn could have given Boris Johnson a hard time at his first Prime Minister’s Questions. He asked tough questions about the consequences of a no-deal Brexit, and the prime minister conspicuously failed to answer.

But it was Johnson who actually won the exchanges easily because he challenged Corbyn on whether he wanted an election on 15 October – “or is he frit?” Johnson knows that the Labour leader wants an election but is being held back by his MPs, who are urging him to make life hard for the prime minister by refusing to vote for it.

Johnson returned to the theme repeatedly, calling Corbyn a “chlorinated chicken”, and was unexpectedly supported by Ian Blackford of the Scottish National Party, who quoted the opinion polls in Scotland and said: “If he wants an election, enable the bill and bring it on.”

It's literally an article from bizarro land.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 5, 2019

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

sean10mm posted:

Unlike in the USA, its conservatives will relentlessly ratfuck each other, which is at least entertaining.

we have sat through a LOT of the tories bending over backwards to prevent so called blue on blue (blue as in the tory color) - pigfucker refused negative campaigning during the brexit referendum for that reason.

this public ratfucking started super late in may's tenure and has only gotten worse, it's great.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Vlex posted:

I'll keep you all updated on the Carrie Symonds situation as it propagates through the Warwick uni alumni whisper network.

Goddamn every time that university is mentioned here I regret doing my postgrad at Warwick more and more.
At least we in life sciences were the red-headed ignored stepchildren of that university.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 5, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CoolCab posted:

we have sat through a LOT of the tories bending over backwards to prevent so called blue on blue (blue as in the tory color) - pigfucker refused negative campaigning during the brexit referendum for that reason.

this public ratfucking started super late in may's tenure and has only gotten worse, it's great.

The tories backstabbing each other is the rule, pigfucker was the exception.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

Goddamn every time that university is mentioned here I regret doing my postgrad at Warwick more and more.
At least we in life sciences were the red-headed ignored stepchildren of that university.

Why? It's a good uni!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Vlex posted:

Why? It's a good uni!

If you ignore their handling of sexual assaults

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:thunk:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i hope he turns up absolutely pissed and just spills the beans on everything once it looks like he's hosed https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1169566207676178433

nah, there'll be half a dozen millionaires at standby to airlift him out of accountability

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can we all take a moment to appreciate Corbyn's official portrait, especially in stories like these. He looks so goddamn smug and he deserves to be that smug

It’s because his eyes are looking to the side, which is a really confident and charming expression. I have an amazing two photos from when my dad was still alive; one of me, late 20s and ok looking but tryhard af and one of my dad, 72 and looking twinkly eyed and silver foxish and, like, a million times better looking than I did, with dad having essentially the same expression as JC there.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

why is this a loving talking point? "why don't you play into my strategy, leader of opposition to, eh, me??"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Surprised I didn't see this on the Sun Front cover today.

this is really quite damning

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
who's the particle physicist with the shiny new grant again

https://twitter.com/ResFortnight/status/1169210391961985024

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

coffeetable posted:

That reads like you’re moving to Copenhagen with funding?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gove is bullshiting to Hilary Benn at length atm https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/2e9c4033-92b3-4edb-b5dd-09f0990e832c

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1169523004180705281

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loving lol

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1169570618871824384?s=20

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

coffeetable posted:

Yeah I mean this is obviously disastrous for UK research and scholars with deep personal ties and family in Britain, but it can also be read as a chance to be poached by European institutions that will be extremely happy to have your prestige and output associated to them rather than the rapidly sinking HMS Britannia. I wouldn't be surprised if there are vice-chancellors across the EU drawing up plans and sharpening their knives at this very moment with an eye to "acquire" researchers on very favourable terms.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

That's some very, very impressive :brainworms:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Vlex posted:

Why? It's a good uni!

In Life Sciences it felt like they could not give less about the department, having to move from the nice Wellesbourne campus onto the way more cramped Gibbet Hill site in the middle of my Ph.D. was, to put it mildly, not ideal. 'Luckily' the university freed up some space with a multiple rounds of redundancies in the relatively short period I worked there.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay I've seen your answer but can you show your working?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On election timing - I'm just going to quote Steven Bush on this.

Steven Bush posted:

Good morning. After ten hours and sixteen votes, an agreement has been reached between supporters and opponents of  House of Lords to pass Hilary Benn's bill to seek an extension to the Article 50 by 5pm on Friday, which means that it is certain to become a law and an election in on the way. 

But when? The various opponents of a no deal Brexit agree on the answer - as soon as their move to seek an extension has been legally confirmed. But they disagree about what that means: does it mean after the bill has become a law? That's the opinion of the leaders of both the Labour and Liberal Democrat leaders - at least, that's what they both argued in the House. 

The reason why passing the bill into law is important is that it guarantees that if the next parliament is hung, Boris Johnson cannot simply let the United Kingdom tumble out of the European Union before the new parliament meets.  That, at least, is clear.

But some within their parties think that it means waiting until after Johnson has triggered the Article 50 extension, the better to humiliate him and deepen his problem with the Brexit party. 

In practice, the debate is one over electoral strategy: what maximises the chances of producing a parliament that can prevent a no deal Brexit again? I think both sides are at risk of being too clever by half.

The Conservative line that Jeremy Corbyn is scared of an election gives Johnson something to talk about other than his flawless record of four defeats in four in the House of Commons and seventeen defeats in seventeen in the House of Lords. The problem is that attacking someone for being too chicken to hold an election ceases to be a viable attack line once the election is underway. There's the risk, too, that the time simply gives Johnson longer to disintegrate on the campaign trail.

But the 'let Johnson stew in his own juices' crowd are at risk of being too clever for their own good too. Holding off the start of the formal election campaign until after the extension has been triggered means effectively, a two month election campaign on top of the 25 working day statutory campaign - but crucially, a two month campaign in which the tighter broadcast rules around elections do not apply and there are no restrictions on what political parties and outside groups can spend. 

That does mean that various pro-Remain and anti no-deal groups can organise and campaign to the heart's content: but more importantly it means that the full might of the government's advertising budget can also be deployed, while the government will continue to enjoy a disproportionate level of coverage for its announcements up until the contest proper starts.  It also means two months of prominent headlines about Labour MPs and their trigger ballots. 

Delaying also facilitates Nicola Sturgeon's attack line against Scottish Labour, that they are weak and indecisive and only a vote for her party is guaranteed to produce a Scottish parliamentary contingent capable of standing up to the Conservative government. (Though Labour may reason that they are going to get shellacked in Scotland come what may.) 

Of course, an election runs the risk of a Johnson majority - but that's the risk of any election at any time. Neither big party looks certain to do best with an imminent election or by pushing it out to November: but to my eyes the risk of waiting is heavier for Labour.

I think I agree, but it's certainly up for debate - I'd say strike while the Iron is hot but don't know how prepared Labour is at the moment.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Michael Gove lying to the select committee

https://twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/status/1169570821859360768

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nothingtoseehere posted:

On election timing - I'm just going to quote Steven Bush on this.

I think I agree, but it's certainly up for debate - I'd say strike while the Iron is hot but don't know how prepared Labour is at the moment.

I'd say strike before the Tories have time to compose themselves.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah even the Graun handed him a win on that, albeit somewhat by default because 80% of the snap verdict was calling Johnson a lying dishonest oval office.

Which was also fun to read.

I really like Corbyn in his role as LotO - he's tailored strategies in PMQs specifically to make the PM uncomfortable.

Cameron was a joker & bully who could push Milliband about so Corbyn did that gimmick where the public sent in questions. Totally neutered Cameron, because he couldn't be seen to dismiss or attack so had to do this weird solemn approach.
May was all-brexit-all-the-time so Corbyn would do Q's on everything else, right down to local issues - shows how May was fanatical and aloof.
& yeah, he could turn the screw on a bullshitter like Johnson until we see a tantrum

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
The forums have been unblocked on my work wi-fi, meaning I don’t have to use up my previous data catching up at lunchtime!

Also, I listened to the podcast and it was good and funny and informative. I’d like to be involved and invariably ruin it.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Gasmask posted:

look all i'm saying is that if we burn david cameron in a wicker man on college green we can undo the last 3+ years of hell world

Great goon project.

I'll bring the wicker.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

coffeetable posted:

Not me - I had the smart strategy of getting piss-poor reviews on my H2020 bid to save all the bother around brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

every day i think back with regret...

if only we had chosen owen j....

owen smith....?