Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Oh my god, that would be so much more humiliating than even just losing the election! I’m just lolling to myself thinking about the fact that this colossal idiot was the overwhelming favourite to win the Tory leadership from well before the contest began. Even the Republicans had to be dragged to the Trump train kicking and screaming.

E: 89 is like a 69 where one participant is too fat and lazy to put any work in. I’m sure there’s a political allegory there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tony should be replaced with Boris. This is Corbyn's most spectacular kill so far.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

No loving way!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Nuclear Spoon posted:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1169560579280912385

poliitical editor of the sun has apparently never heard of tories before
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1169574642870304773

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmfao

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
https://twitter.com/spconnolly/status/1169554644261134336

just lol if brexit makes sinn fein take their seats for the first time since *checks notes* ever

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I do, but it usually takes me half a week to read it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gasmask posted:

just lol if brexit makes sinn fein take their seats for the first time since *checks notes* ever

Hoooooooooly poo poo enormous if true.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh god, if Johnson resigns the premiership within a week of parliament opening without having ever won a vote it'll be remembered for centuries. :getin:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Gasmask posted:

Nah, article makes it clear that they're considering standing aside in some constituencies in a Remain pact, they've no intention of going to Westminster.

Hilarious idea though.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, but here's their reason:

They want to push for another GE.

i could link you any dozens of boris quotes on how he genuinely absolutely certainly does not want en election

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Gasmask posted:

They're not breaking their abstention policy, just considering the idea of standing aside in certain areas at the next election to give Remain-supporting candiates a better chance of beating the DUP

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They won't take their seats just not challenge other parties in dup areas

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
yes if you re read my post you will clearly see i said "take their seats and let someone else sit in them"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the "we never take our seats" party may be taking their seats!

update: they didn't

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tenebrais posted:

Oh god, if Johnson resigns the premiership within a week of parliament opening without having ever won a vote it'll be remembered for centuries. :getin:

This would be just the best thing.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

xtothez posted:

They're not breaking their abstention policy, just considering the idea of standing aside in certain areas at the next election to give Remain-supporting candiates a better chance of beating the DUP

This

But also this was talked about last election and it boils down to the other parties standing down to give SF a clear run in their target swat of North Belfast, as this means electing an abstentionist MP who will not effect parliamentary arthimetic it's unlikely the SDLP (the main party SF want to go away in North Belfast) will accept it as they are also fighting tooth and nail with SF to retake their heartland seart of Foyle from them.

The only seat where SF standing aside would make an actual difference is Belfast South where SF finished fourth and it's more likely an agreement between Alliance, Greens and the SDLP will deliver this seat to a party who will go to Westminster without SF getting invovled - with recent vote increases for Alliance in the wards of that seat they absolutely like their chances it's likely the greens with back them over the SDLP and expected swings will let them outpoll the DUP based on contemporary polling

It's pretty much an offer of "get out of our way so we can have another MP"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Basically asking the other parties to let them take a seat from the DUP and in exchange they get very little - Alliance will hardly accept it and as the SDLP are fighting against SF to try to reclaim two seats where the issue of actually going to Westminster to vote will deffo be raised to try to swing remainer votes to their corner I'm not sure of they will be keen either

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/zippiesteve/status/1169377677326913536?s=21

lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/andrealeadsom/status/1169559415252537344?s=21

lmao

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CoolCab posted:

the "we never take our seats" party may be taking their seats!

update: they didn't
I'm a dumb American, so I don't really understand the SF abstention policy. It it just "gently caress you, we won't participate in the UK government because no part of Ireland should be in the UK"?

Seems like they have enough seats that they could sway close votes that would be helpful to their own interests.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
normal

https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1169589361723224064

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm a dumb American, so I don't really understand the SF abstention policy. It it just "gently caress you, we won't participate in the UK government because no part of Ireland should be in the UK"?

Seems like they have enough seats that they could sway close votes that would be helpful to their own interests.

Partly what you said, but also serving as an MP requires taking an oath of loyalty to the Queen.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

You need to swear an oath to the queen in order to be an MP. Which is something of a sticking point if your whole stated reason to exist as a party is to become part of the Republic of Ireland.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

Being an MP requires swearing loyalty to the Queen. Now consider what Sinn Féin's driving goal for its entire political history has been.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhiteHowler posted:

They could, but one of their key interests is not swearing loyalty to the Crown. And they still do constituency work, they just don't show up at the big British building for controlling bits of Ireland from Britain.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tbh this is the best move lol

Go "okay then you guys decide who is PM and who goes to Brussels"

*entire commons erupts into knife fighting*

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jedit posted:

Partly what you said, but also serving as an MP requires taking an oath of loyalty to the Queen.
Oh, that totally makes sense. Thanks.

I've been lurking in these threads for a couple of months now and find UK politics fascinating (and a nice break from the stuff in the States -- just as crazypants, but in a different and interesting way).

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

WhiteHowler posted:

To sit in parliament you have to swear an oath to the queen and sf don't acknowledge the queens power

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

WhiteHowler posted:

Because they believe that the UK has no moral right to interfere in Irish affairs, they will not implicitly accept the authority of the UK parliament by participating. Further, SF politicians make the point that it would be ludicrously hypocritical of them to complain about a foreign country (as they see the UK) interfering in Irish affairs, and then send Irish people to Westminster to interfere in another country’s affairs.

You also hear it said that the reason is the oath of loyalty you swear to the queen, but SF politicians have said they’d maintain their policy even if this is removed.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah you could just cross your fingers behind your back when you swear loyalty because that works too

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

Like others have said, the oath to the queen is part of it but only part. Sinn Fein don't take seats because they don't believe the UK government should have a say in Ireland, but also don't believe Irish people should have a say in British affairs. The article below gives a good summary

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/06/sinn-fein-mp-british-parliament-irish-republicans-brexit

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TACD posted:

Possibly they're planning on using that Queen's Consent procedure to request an extension and then simply refuse it if offered.

That seems to argue that Queen's Consent would be needed to get past the 3rd reading in Commons, which it has. If they were going to use QC to get it killed haven't they missed the timing for that?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're going to use Prince Andrew instead, he has a different definition of Consent.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If there was no oath to the Queen SF would still not take their seats, the oath is never cited by SF as the reason for their abstention - it's the whole idea of supporting a parliament in exercising jurisdiction over Ireland which they believe is wrong

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sinn Fein though will still happily walk about with pictures of the Queen in their pockets.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Sinn Fein though will still happily walk about with pictures of the Queen in their pockets.

Its lEGAl TENDER

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Has Johnson ”majority” shrunk every day since Parliament opened now?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

happyhippy posted:

They just write “Wanted: dead or alive” underneath