Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Utah won :toot:

We had a hard time getting the offense going last year vs Northern Illinois, hopefully this year at home will be smoother

e: this is my page now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

He comes up as a bad Heisman winner here all the time and it's pretty much entirely because LT and Brees were better NFL players than him

:wtc:

He totally deserved that Heisman.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Grossman reached a Superbowl. :colbert:

We'll learn this weekend if they're better than Tennessee by proxy.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
Really excited that Northwestern has a bye week in part because they need some time for Hunter Johnson to figure his poo poo out and in part because weekends of college football where I am not emotionally invested in how they do are debateably more enjoyable. Not sure if that makes me a great or terrible fan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

He comes up as a bad Heisman winner here all the time and it's pretty much entirely because LT and Brees were better NFL players than him

LT and Brees did have a higher level of difficulty than Weinke did for an obscenely talented FSU, but you could say the same for like 90% of the winners.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Weinke to Warrick was some of the most fun I've ever watched in college football. Snoop Minnis the next season was really good too but christ was Peter Warrick electric.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

General Dog posted:

LT and Brees did have a higher level of difficulty than Weinke did for an obscenely talented FSU, but you could say the same for like 90% of the winners.

Hello Mark Ingram.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

wandler20 posted:

Weinke to Warrick was some of the most fun I've ever watched in college football. Snoop Minnis the next season was really good too but christ was Peter Warrick electric.

I still can't believe Warrick didn't translate to the NFL. He was so loving good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Actually I guess TCU had a pretty cushy schedule that year. They were C-USA at the time weren’t they? Or was it the WAC?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TCU has a real journey from 1996-2012. SWC to WAC to C-USA to MWC to Big East (but I think they never actually got there?) to Big 12

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LeeMajors posted:

I still can't believe Warrick didn't translate to the NFL. He was so loving good.

Heisman winner Charlie Ward didn't translate to the NFL at all.

:v:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I wonder how much more well-regarded by NFL scouts Ward would be if he came up now

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://twitter.com/BestVideosviral/status/1169251088198971393?s=19

Bevo scared em so bad hes in training now

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Heisman winner Charlie Ward didn't translate to the NFL at all.

:v:

Remember when Jason White won a Heisman

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remember when Charles Woodson was the Heisman, then they decided nobody on defense can ever win again? :smith:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

LT was mostly running it up on bad teams and Brees had worse passing stats across the board despite playing in a super pass happy spread in a league where no one else was doing that.

I think most people also forget that Warrick wasn't on the team anymore when Weinke won the Heisman

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Randaconda posted:

remember when Charles Woodson was the Heisman, then they decided nobody on defense can ever win again? :smith:

Suh coming in fourth convinced me of this.

I guess maybe if they'd played him at fullback or tight end or something on offense now and then like they did with Woodson. Or even better as a returner.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I guess maybe if they'd played him at fullback or tight end or something on offense now and then like they did with Woodson. Or even better as a returner.

Woodson wasn't even that great as a returner is the funny thing. He had one really big famous one and otherwise was really meh at it.

wyoak posted:

I wonder how much more well-regarded by NFL scouts Ward would be if he came up now

Yeah Ward was a genuinely amazing football player, he'd be looked at a lot different now that smaller QBs playing out of shotgun is a normal thing and you don't have to look like Troy Aikman to get drafted

MourningView fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 5, 2019

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

YES :mad:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

They did use Suh on offense his junior year, but not senior when he was in the Heisman chase.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

wandler20 posted:

I only ever watched that one game, but 1 reception for 7 yards wasn't that good.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I only ever watched that one game, but 1 reception for 7 yards wasn't that good.

Peter Warrick was ridiculous in college. Remember how explosive Reggie Bush was? Peter Warrick was the WR version.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Went to the trash heap bengals and was ruined by their organization, nagging injuries, and despair.

Also the nfl didn’t quite know what to do with players like him yet. If he was drafted today he’d be putting up video game numbers.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

colachute posted:

Peter Warrick was ridiculous in college. Remember how explosive Reggie Bush was? Peter Warrick was the WR version.

Didn't look that good to me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dango Bango posted:

They did use Suh on offense his junior year, but not senior when he was in the Heisman chase.

I'm just laughing at the idea of sr season Suh fielding a punt and breaking down to take on a college gunner now that I've thought of it.

I mean sure, they'd get him to the ground, but they probably wouldn't be happy about the way it went down.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

MourningView posted:

LT was mostly running it up on bad teams and Brees had worse passing stats across the board despite playing in a super pass happy spread in a league where no one else was doing that.

I think most people also forget that Warrick wasn't on the team anymore when Weinke won the Heisman

My memory from 20 years ago was that Brees was amazing and everyone else on Purdue was kind of lovely and if he had played on a team where he wasn't the only good player he probably would have been twice as awesome.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

MourningView posted:

Brees was a better college player than him too. It wasn't just about stats, Purdue's doesn't go anywhere in 2000 without Drew Brees and the no one remembers who the best wideout was on the 2000 Purdue team (John Standeford?). Weinke was slinging it to fuckin' Anquan Boldin and Snoop Minnis.......

If the award is for the "mvp" of college football then Brees and LT were certainly more deserving in 2000. That doesn't mean Weinke was garbage, just that Brees and LT meant more to both of their teams.

EDIT: For consistency, Brees had a 60% completion rate in 2000 with 3668 yards and 26 TD's. Weinke was 62% for 4167 and 33 TD's FSU was a steamroller for most of the year

wernox fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 5, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wernox posted:

Brees was a better college player than him too. It wasn't just about stats, Purdue's doesn't go anywhere in 2000 without Drew Brees and the no one remembers who the best wideout was on the 2000 Purdue team (John Standeford?). Weinke was slinging it to fuckin' Anquan Boldin and Snoop Minnis.......

If the award is for the "mvp" of college football then Brees and LT were certainly more deserving in 2000. That doesn't mean Weinke was garbage, just that Brees and LT meant more to both of their teams.

Stats certainly disagree.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol at josh heupel being Heisman runner up that year

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Metapod posted:

Lol at josh heupel being Heisman runner up that year

I was actually just looking up his stats. I have this memory of him being one of the great early spread QBs, but in 2000 (when he won a national title and was Heisman runner-up) he had an unsightly 20/15 TD/INT line.

For comparison, Reggie Ball threw 20 TDs and 14 INTs his senior year (please disregard the 44% completion rate)

General Dog fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 5, 2019

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

General Dog posted:

I was actually just looking up his stats. I have this memory of him being one of the great early spread QBs, but in 2000 (when he won a national title and was Heisman runner-up) he had an unsightly 20/15 TD/INT line.

For comparison, Reggie Ball threw 20 TDs and 14 INTs his senior year (please disregard the 44% completion rate)

Calvin Johnson caught 15 of those TDs, so if you removed him it would have been more like 1 TD and 20 INT.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Weinke had more yards and TDs on like 100 fewer pass attempts and Snoop Minnis wasn't really any more impressive after college than the Purdue guys were. Boldin's big breakout wasn't until the next year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When the NCAA changed the rules to include bowl games in career stats, why didn't they retroactively add bowl stats prior to that point? Seems like it would be doable at least back to the 60s. They should've either added bowl stats for all time, or left it alone.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I remember Vinnie Sutherland being an absolute beast on that 2000 Purdue team

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

General Dog posted:

When the NCAA changed the rules to include bowl games in career stats, why didn't they retroactively add bowl stats prior to that point? Seems like it would be doable at least back to the 60s. They should've either added bowl stats for all time, or left it alone.

Because Barry Sanders was just too drat good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ace Jameson posted:

I remember Vinnie Sutherland being an absolute beast on that 2000 Purdue team

And Standeford is I think literally the Big Ten's all time leader in receiving. It's hard to separate all that from Brees/Orton and the system generally but they had a bunch of really productive college receivers on those teams

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1169608119779037185

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Vols are lucky Weinke got hurt and couldn't play.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

MourningView posted:

And Standeford is I think literally the Big Ten's all time leader in receiving. It's hard to separate all that from Brees/Orton and the system generally but they had a bunch of really productive college receivers on those teams

That was Taylor Stubblefield, the current WR coach for the Miami Hurricanes and often referred to as Tyler Standafiled by Bob Davie. He didn't play for Purdue in 2000. Vinny Sutherland had 72 catches, Standeford 67. Vinny had more yards but what made the 2000 offense special was that they were a bitch to get off the field on 3rd down and Standeford and Tim Stratton were a huge chunk of that. Vinny was a deeper threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Drew Brees was just an inferior Kurt kittner in college