Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Padams posted:

I have a ton of things I ought to be doing instead, like redoing my resume, applying for better jobs than my current soul sucking customer care job, taking online classes etc. Ive always envied people who could decide what the gently caress they want to do with their lives and tirelessly work to achieve their goals since they were kids. Meanwhile here I am at 34 not doing anything important except some scattershot DSA/reclaim events once in a blue moon and not knowing what I want to be when I grow up (lol)

same but im not even scattershoting anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I made masoor dal tonight, and even though I overcooked the lentils, it is so good. I admit that I bought the naan at Trader Joe's. I don't know if I've ever had as satisfying an eating experience. I just rip off a warm piece of naan, scoop up some dal, and cram it in my idiot mouth.

Cooking is fun, and if you're coming off a depressive episode or an alcoholic/drug binge or just feeling sad and lovely in general, cooking a THING is really fun. It made me feel like a semi-competent human being again after a really lovely week. It doesn't have to be complicated. I really like broccoli, so I cut some up and tossed the pieces in some oil and roasted em. It was awesome, and the burnt bits were the best part. I know it sounds silly, but after a major round of feeling low, just making food to sustain you feels really good.

I hope all of you are well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

Ha my first unread post after getting out of the hospital. poo poo is rough. Currently hitchhiking from Charlotte to SE Michigan with relatively little money. Any bored goons in the Winston Salem area feel like a road trip lol. Things are desperate enough that I'm only half joking.

No idea what I'm going to do when I get there anyways, convince my mom to let me stay with her in Detroit I guess. Being a homeless transient sucks rear end lol.

Hey glad you're keeping on, man

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

mekyabetsu posted:

I made masoor dal tonight, and even though I overcooked the lentils, it is so good. I admit that I bought the naan at Trader Joe's. I don't know if I've ever had as satisfying an eating experience. I just rip off a warm piece of naan, scoop up some dal, and cram it in my idiot mouth.

Cooking is fun, and if you're coming off a depressive episode or an alcoholic/drug binge or just feeling sad and lovely in general, cooking a THING is really fun. It made me feel like a semi-competent human being again after a really lovely week. It doesn't have to be complicated. I really like broccoli, so I cut some up and tossed the pieces in some oil and roasted em. It was awesome, and the burnt bits were the best part. I know it sounds silly, but after a major round of feeling low, just making food to sustain you feels really good.

I hope all of you are well.

Hey!! I ate dal with trader joes naan tonight too!! Its so easy and you know you're getting a complete nutritional experience for basically the lowest effort and most palatability. Perfect!!!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

Ha my first unread post after getting out of the hospital. poo poo is rough. Currently hitchhiking from Charlotte to SE Michigan with relatively little money. Any bored goons in the Winston Salem area feel like a road trip lol. Things are desperate enough that I'm only half joking.

No idea what I'm going to do when I get there anyways, convince my mom to let me stay with her in Detroit I guess. Being a homeless transient sucks rear end lol.

Please be as safe as you can!

Was it Plinky that started the goonfood fund? Might hit him up?

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Failson posted:

Please be as safe as you can!

Was it Plinky that started the goonfood fund? Might hit him up?

I have no way of even getting it. My new plan is just to beg enough for a greyhound ticket but I'm still like 60 bucks short.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Sep 13, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That really sucks, USF. I'm sure you've tried lots of medications with such a chronic issue so I don't want to just glibly throw out random otc pills and stuff, but when I was dealing with sleeplessness aggressively pursuing pharmaceutical solutions was very helpful for nights where I'd otherwise struggle to sleep or stay asleep. Is there any kind of remote work you think you could do? I've been working with a private company at my job where they all work from home all the time and just use skype for meetings, and I get the sense the whole industry (educational consultants, I guess) is basically like that.

anyway I haven't been posting in here because I've been doing pretty good I guess, I have a girlfriend who I'm pretty sure I'm falling in love with, my full-time job that I did not have when I started posting in here is going okay. I took PTO yesterday for my monthly rehab clinic visit and decided to take the whole day to play some WoW classic and had a bit of a revelation. i'd been looking forward to it for years and was really pumped when it came out, since when I was unemployed in 2018 Nostalrius was a huge help to my mental health since it gave me something to do and a way to feel vaguely accomplished. I guess I didn't realize that at the time and thought I was just really enjoying an old-fashioned MMO. anyway, I'm level 19 or so, and I decided to do a dungeon with my paid morning off. it took like four hours because people kept loving up and at the end of my long rear end play session I just felt enervated and like I had wasted a bunch of time. I was really satisfied when I got some good loot, but when I stood up and realized I had wasted four hours of PTO and my whole morning when I already feel like I don't have time for stuff anymore, I felt pretty bad. i'd go so far as to say i felt the same kind of depression that plagued my every waking moment when I was jobless and playing MMOs full time.

i guess I'm gonna unsubscribe from WoW, but it was kind of a major moment for me realizing that for the first time in nearly a decade I had something (several somethings, really) to prioritize in the real world over video games or drugs and it's a very different mindset than I'm used to. i just really can't let my exercise slip and I want to see my girlfriend more than I want to play WoW, plus with a full time job it just feels absurd to try to devote that much time to one specific game, especially since I bought a PS4 two months ago to play all the stuff i've missed.

anyway I know this post wasn't super mental health related but this thread was helpful for me when I was doing really badly and I just want to pop in and say I am reading every goon post and really hope things improve for job goons, anxiety goons, and bad parents goons

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
glad everyone in the thread seems to be doing (relatively) well or at least processing poo poo, it's heartening

mekyabetsu posted:

Cooking is fun, and if you're coming off a depressive episode or an alcoholic/drug binge or just feeling sad and lovely in general, cooking a THING is really fun.

get yoself an instant pot if you can afford it, or even a rice cooker. (check goodwill, maybe you can get one cheap!) You can search the internet for some stupidly simple recipes for complete meals, just toss all your poo poo in there and wait. boom, tasty meals and sense of accomplishment :hai:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 04:29 on Sep 13, 2019

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Lol the psychiatrist I tried to see told me that they do not accept patients who are currently self-medicating with alcohol. "Please call back when you are at least one year sobor."

4 weeks on a waiting list to be told I should quote, "find an outpatient center" :cool: their website advertises substance abuse as a speciality

They were the 10th psych center I called.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
After 4 more calls to voice mail, I got a time with a specific Doctor at a hospital near me that I previously used for knee surgery. Over a month away, but at this point just having a physical Dr.'s appointment feels like a big relief. They are specialized in DBT, too, which seems like a great fit as I am becoming increasingly aware that I have borderline personality, or at least something close to it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The one big downside to moving to Australia is I've been forced to stop taking the two pills that sort of worked for me - benzos and melatonin. They just refuse to prescribe either here except very short term and in tiny doses. Melatonin is just on the shelf back in Canada.

So I've been tapering benzos with the help of a shrink that I've been seeing weekly but now I have no way of knocking myself out. When I was unemployed I survived by napping every day, but now that I'm a worker drone again that's impossible.

I'm approaching three hours without being able to go back to sleep and just got in an argument with my wife since she sneezed and it woke me up again. I've apparently wrecked her sleep with all my tossing and turning and getting up.

At best I can now get one more hour of sleep. Which means any hope of making a good impression are out the window. And the cycle continues.

And no I can't do remote work because I'm not qualified to do anything and have chronic hand pain which makes working very difficult on its own. I barely graduated high school due to all my issues, but now I'm too old to get the brainless student jobs I used to do.

I'm just not built for this kind of system. Maybe people like me were useful in the past because we'd stay up and notice a prowling sabertooth tiger or whatever but in modern society I'm just a liability.

I'm sorry my post contained another useless platitude I'm sure you've heard many times before regarding WFH, that kind of thing isn't productive and you've obviously thought about those things and those kind of boring generic pieces of advice grated on me like crazy when I wasn't working. I realized how bad that was after I made that post and I just wanted to clarify I think that kind of flippant "oh can you do <obvious solution thing>" is rarely a useful thing to say

that being said I'm really surprised melatonin is prescription since it has like no qualitative effects. tapering benzos is loving hard without substitutions, so all I really want to say is best of luck, sleeplessness is brutal and capitalist society is unable to easily accommodate anything typical, but that's an indictment of the world in general and nothing else

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TheAardvark posted:

Lol the psychiatrist I tried to see told me that they do not accept patients who are currently self-medicating with alcohol. "Please call back when you are at least one year sobor."

this is outright malpractice btw

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 04:29 on Sep 13, 2019

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

TheAardvark posted:

4 weeks on a waiting list to be told I should quote, "find an outpatient center" :cool: their website advertises substance abuse as a speciality

They were the 10th psych center I called.

this makes NO loving sense. Jesus Christ

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
not really a mental health thing but how much money saved would you recommend someone for a move to a new state/city to start out with? no job lined up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

succ posted:

not really a mental health thing but how much money saved would you recommend someone for a move to a new state/city to start out with? no job lined up.

From my personal experience, I would strongly discourage you from moving without a job lined up first. Otherwise I think three months salary based on the cost of living of the target city, and I get the feeling most people here don't have that. (I sure as poo poo don't.)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 04:30 on Sep 13, 2019

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah I only felt comfortable moving because I sold my condo for a big profit. Otherwise I'd be even more of a basketcase.

Second day at work went ok despite being dead tired. Glad I started on a Thursday. Co-workers are nice, mostly introverts who play video games and stuff. Very different from my usual macho man blue collar jobs where I have nothing in common with anyone.

Everyone's like 15 years younger than me though. Thank goodness Vancouver's complete lack of sunshine makes Aussies think I'm younger than I am.

Another benefit to living in an actually progressive city: got to go home early thanks to a climate change protest clogging the streets.

Just basing off my personal experience, not a doctor, etc, etc: Have you tried getting tested for sleep apnea?

I fought exhaustion for years, hated the idea of having to use a machine to sleep, and a face mask, and I thought the exhaustion was mostly just tied up with depression.

My doctor insisted I go in for a sleep study, and it turned out I have apnea real bad!

Took a couple months on an APAP machine to start feeling a difference, but now it's like night and day.

I have energy again! I get stuff done in the evenings! I don't always feel like crying at work! I don't want to fall asleep in the middle of the day! I can fall asleep at night easier!

Cut a little edge off the depression too, but not a huge change there.

Again, this was just my personal experience.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

That's also drat near word for word my personal experience too. Got it to cut back on snoring for my fiance's sake, ended up making a huge difference

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Oh yeah, I got engaged btw :buddy:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Goon Danton posted:

Oh yeah, I got engaged btw :buddy:

Goongrats

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
cool cool saw an acquaintance at the hospital today volunteering and couldnt do a goddamn thing to support them bc of professional ethics

havin a normal one today, not crying at all

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Chokes McGee posted:

cool cool saw an acquaintance at the hospital today volunteering and couldn’t do a goddamn thing to support them bc of professional ethics

havin a normal one today, not crying at all

You are a good and empathetic person, Chokes. Your acquaintance is lucky to know you even if you can't support them in that context.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Sep 13, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I feel you there, never again am I going to live with a window facing an intersection or traffic corner, and never again am I going to live in a condo. Either one of those is a life-ruining choice. Condos especially, because you can't control who the other owners are and when they're morons you suffer so, so much more than anywhere else (we've been flooded from upstairs four times and have had to live in a demolished shell ever since the first one). Never, ever make choices that increase your dependency on strangers. In our case it wasn't even for our benefit, it was so my inlaws can make money on real estate speculation while we get to live in it (and deal with all its problems and questions that they never have to be bothered about....)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

You are a good and empathetic person, Chokes. Your acquaintance is lucky to know you even if you can't support them in that context.

thanks. I may be in touch with them through a third party to pass along well wishes and an explanation why I didnt hi. honestly they probably wanted to be left alone by the outside world so they could heal, I know I did. keeping me as far away from my phone and work acquaintances was the only way I survived

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I woke up feeling miserable and alone, but I dragged myself out of bed and took the train to Maryland to go to the Russian store. I'm happy I made myself get out of the apartment, even if I really don't want to go back to it now and am dreading it.

Thank you for listening here is my cat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
love that adorable murder beast :3:

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Addamere posted:

love that adorable murder beast :3:

she is my best friend

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i realize the thread title is probably a joke but a NYC psychologist has an ad in this quarter's DSA democratic left newsletter

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My crisis plan isn't working, I don't want to go to a psych ward though. Interim plan is to go to the hardware store, pick up plumbing parts and storage bags, then do laundry, and try to stay numb so I can get things done. Not ideal.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

RandomPauI posted:

My crisis plan isn't working, I don't want to go to a psych ward though. Interim plan is to go to the hardware store, pick up plumbing parts and storage bags, then do laundry, and try to stay numb so I can get things done. Not ideal.

godspeed. if you need to talk to someone feel free to pm

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i realize the thread title is probably a joke but a NYC psychologist has an ad in this quarter's DSA democratic left newsletter

it was a joke response waaaaaaay back on like page 2 of the thread and now its real

we did it everyone, gj

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

godspeed. if you need to talk to someone feel free to pm

At this point, I'm trying to come up with, how to put this...

My judgment is compromised, my old friends and family and therapist are unavailable. And I'm panicking about abandonment.

So I'm going to play tonight by ear, see if Sunday is better, start some supplements that I crisis bought which probably won't help but will at least give me a sense that I'm doing something to get in control.

The biggest thing keeping me from going into the psych hospital right now is the fear that my therapist will quit me as a patient, which could probably be resolved if I could get in touch with her, but I can't.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

RandomPauI posted:

The biggest thing keeping me from going into the psych hospital right now is the fear that my therapist will quit me as a patient, which could probably be resolved if I could get in touch with her, but I can't.

id be amazed to learn a therapist would get rid of a patient for taking care of some acute issues. not saying it cant happen, but im sure they'd like you to get help for what is ailing you

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I finally heard back from her, I feel a lot better now.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Raskolnikov38 posted:

can you post the ad or take a pic of it please? I was talking to someone about this the other day but there are a few very minor code of ethics issues and Im curious to see how it's worded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Just feel really frustrated with how other people seem to always think being supporting means just acknowledging something I said. I get sad about job searching too doesnt help me search for a loving job, for instance, and Yeah I get nervous about passing too does not help me pass. It just feels awful to constantly have things echoed back at me while Im stuck in a rut. I dont know why people think it helps me and then get mad at me when I keep having the same problem.