Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I thought the colorful backgrounds in TOS was to sell color TVs, which were new at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
TOS was insanely colorful partly due to the 60s aesthetic, and partly because most people still had b&w televisions. They went hog wild with colors to make it pop as much as possible on a b&w set. If it hadn't been for the 60s aesthetic, people with color sets would've been wtf-ing at the color schemes.

E:^^^ Oh yeah that reason too. But it was everything (esp. uniforms and that bright red-orange handrail), not just backgrounds, and that was due more to the reason I stated.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 5, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Was this the same colorblind guy who's responsible for the Orion slave girls and the adorable kzinti pink jumpsuits?

The color issue you might be thinking of with the green Orion women was that during film testing, they'd paint Majel green, and the test shots would come back muted and not nearly as green as they wanted. After a couple of rounds of trying more makeup they finally talked to the film development lab, and it turned out the lab thought the green was some kind of fault with the filmstock or something, and so the lab was trying to correct the color out.

But no, Hal Sutherland wasn't involved with TOS, just the animated series.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

What? Majel never played an orion. Were they just using her to test it?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I kinda want to see TOS in Black and White now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

What? Majel never played an orion. Were they just using her to test it?

Yep, just for screen tests.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

I kinda want to see TOS in Black and White now.

Many media players have a b&w option, I think. I'd expect MPC-HC/BE and potplayer at least do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You could also just turn color down to zero on your TV.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
For some real fun, twiddle the Vertical Hold dial, too!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

You could also just turn color down to zero on your TV.

What's a tv?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I don't see color

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't mind TNG Romulan goofy sleeves, but it does bug me how there's no variation on the clothes of any of the major races. And also how every major race wears grey.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The insides of TNG era Romulan ships had the same colour palette as my old public school

The 90's were an ugly time

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
D'rex were legit cool design for a ship though. Some of the best to come out of TNG besides the Galaxy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't mind TNG Romulan goofy sleeves, but it does bug me how there's no variation on the clothes of any of the major races. And also how every major race wears grey.

Humans cornered the market on goofy colored space pajamas. The other races are just pretending they’re too cool and serious for that kind of thing.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Turns out the reason the Federation signs treaties that seemingly don't favour them is because they include a clause that only allows Starfleet to have colourful uniforms and the other powers have to make do with grey.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hipster_Doofus posted:

TOS was insanely colorful partly due to the 60s aesthetic, and partly because most people still had b&w televisions. They went hog wild with colors to make it pop as much as possible on a b&w set. If it hadn't been for the 60s aesthetic, people with color sets would've been wtf-ing at the color schemes.

E:^^^ Oh yeah that reason too. But it was everything (esp. uniforms and that bright red-orange handrail), not just backgrounds, and that was due more to the reason I stated.

The rad thing is the colors in the corridors Like my whole life, it you'd asked me what colors the corridors in the TOS 1701 were, I'd have said "white, regular spaceship corridors."

Then I went to Cawley's sets in Ticonderoga and really noticed the purples and blues and pinks they lit the walls with for effect. Now I can't unsee it, but it never registered with me before. Somehow it works too.

In other words,

The Bloop posted:

I don't see color

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only good thing to come out of Nemesis was the Romulan uniform redesign.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

The only good thing to come out of Nemesis was the Romulan uniform redesign.
Which is never used again

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FlamingLiberal posted:

Which is never used again

Maybe it'll show up in ST:Picard

Not holding out hope though :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Nemesis uniform is actually used in Enterprise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The Nemesis uniform is actually used in Enterprise.
Did they? That makes no sense.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nemesis obviously took place entirely during Romulan throwback Thursday.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Surprise Remans!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Reman uniforms were recycled for the Xindi Reptilians.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Reman uniforms were recycled for the Xindi Reptilians.
I think I have a vague memory of that

I was watching ‘The Vengeance Factor’ and boy did those aliens sure come right from the Mad Max set

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Goons who have been to the Trek set reconstructions in Ticonderoga, I have questions:

1. How long should we expect to be there?
2. Can you take photos?
3. Can you sit in The Chair?
4. Is there a gift shop?
5. Is it handicapped accessible?
6. Is there a best time to go?

My grandfather is getting up in age and he's the one who introduced me to Trek; he loves TOS and basically kidnapped me from my dad to make me watch Encounter at Farpoint premiere at the age of 5.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Hipster_Doofus posted:

No that's not true at all. They went wild with colours because the show was a part of NBC's heavy promotion of colour TV sets, they wanted something that would be seen in the window of an electrics shop and make certain everybody who walked past knew what was the better buy. I've got a big philips B&W TV from the 60s sat next to me, and it's an expensive transistor model. Trek looks like absolute poo poo on it, specifically because of the wide colour palette.

Different colours translate to different shades of gray even if they're actually the same brightness. So bright red looks like a dark grey, bright yellow is very light, etc. You have to constantly adjust the contrast dial between scenes or else give up and accept that whole areas of the shot will vanish in the shadows or the backgrounds. Sometimes it's a blessing, it hides obvious stuntdoubles and cheap props.

You watch anything else on the same set and it's nowhere near as severe. Stuff originally filmed in black and white is best, because they deliberately picked out colour schemes that'd give good contrast. But more sober looking colour programming like a cop show or TNG is still a lot more readable.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Addams Family's goth house in the original TV series was actually bright pink on the sets, as it showed up better on black and white.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

HorseLord posted:

No that's not true at all. They went wild with colours because the show was a part of NBC's heavy promotion of colour TV sets, they wanted something that would be seen in the window of an electrics shop and make certain everybody who walked past knew what was the better buy. I've got a big philips B&W TV from the 60s sat next to me, and it's an expensive transistor model. Trek looks like absolute poo poo on it, specifically because of the wide colour palette.

Different colours translate to different shades of gray even if they're actually the same brightness. So bright red looks like a dark grey, bright yellow is very light, etc. You have to constantly adjust the contrast dial between scenes or else give up and accept that whole areas of the shot will vanish in the shadows or the backgrounds. Sometimes it's a blessing, it hides obvious stuntdoubles and cheap props.

You watch anything else on the same set and it's nowhere near as severe. Stuff originally filmed in black and white is best, because they deliberately picked out colour schemes that'd give good contrast. But more sober looking colour programming like a cop show or TNG is still a lot more readable.

Hmm well I know I read that somewhere (very possibly here!). I wasn't just pulling that out of my rear end, but I guess whoever wrote it was.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jeeves posted:

The Addams Family's goth house in the original TV series was actually bright pink on the sets, as it showed up better on black and white.

Fronts and such on TV weather maps were drawn in yellow because it didn't show up on black and white, and the forecaster would trace the lines with a black marker as they he talked during the broadcast.

Edit: it was the fifties

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HorseLord posted:

No that's not true at all. They went wild with colours because the show was a part of NBC's heavy promotion of colour TV sets, they wanted something that would be seen in the window of an electrics shop and make certain everybody who walked past knew what was the better buy.

I don't recall ever reading an account from someone involved with the production saying they were instructed to go wild with lighting due to the NBC/RCA connection - do you remember where you heard or read this?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
1960s Doctor Who looks shockingly vibrant in on-set colour stills because everything was designed to look good on BW sets. (The first UK colour broadcast wasn't until 1967.) The TARDIS console was meant to be a white/silver metallic (because SCI-FI!), but it was actually a kind of pistachio green. And it stayed that way when the show went into colour in 1970 because they didn't have the time or money to repaint it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't recall ever reading an account from someone involved with the production saying they were instructed to go wild with lighting due to the NBC/RCA connection - do you remember where you heard or read this?

Shatner's Star Trek Memories makes the claim, but as I've said before, about 90 percent of the book that isn't direct quotes from interviews is horseshit. I think it might be mentioned in the Solow / Justman book but I don't have either one at easy disposal at the moment.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Going off my memory of Inside Star Trek, there's no mention of NBC, RCA, or Desilu demanding bright colors (there's a cute line where Justman says something to the effect of 'go wild with the lights! nobody can tell you it's wrong! how can they? they ain't been to the future!' :3:), but Solow theorizes that NBC might have propped up Star Trek longer than they otherwise would have in part because it was getting disproportionately higher ratings among color TV owners. Even then though, he admits its only a theory.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Payndz posted:

And it stayed that way when the show went into colour in 1970 because they didn't have the time or money to repaint it.

That's not surprising, back in those days just cracking open a can of actual filmstock was a shocking extravagance for the BBC. :v:

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

jeeves posted:

Even though I knew B&W shows did this, I still had to google it and was shocked to see it

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gau posted:

Goons who have been to the Trek set reconstructions in Ticonderoga, I have questions:

1. How long should we expect to be there?
2. Can you take photos?
3. Can you sit in The Chair?
4. Is there a gift shop?
5. Is it handicapped accessible?
6. Is there a best time to go?

My grandfather is getting up in age and he's the one who introduced me to Trek; he loves TOS and basically kidnapped me from my dad to make me watch Encounter at Farpoint premiere at the age of 5.

1. It's pretty much just the set tour unless there's an event going on, so an hour or so. There's some nice restaurants downtown though, and the Fort so you could make a day of it.
2. YES! I took dozens my first trip. Like every little set detail, corridors etc.
3. Can you sit in The Chair? Yes, but that costs a bit more.
4. Yes, and a neat little prop museum in the same room.
5. For the most part. It's in a former grocery store, so you could just roll in with a wheelchair, then the entrance to the sets is a big sliding door, and the corridors are super wide. Obviously there are steps on the Bridge, but IIRC there is a ramp going to it. I'd be shocked if the Bridge wasn't accessible for handicapped fans. They seem like the people who would go the extra mile to make sure everyone can enjoy it. In fact now that I think about it on one tour I was in there was definitely a lady in a wheelchair.
6. If you go during a Con or event weekend, tours are rushed with big groups. Go up on a weekday and you'll get a slower, more personalized tour. It might be just you and your group. On the other hand, when I did a tour at a Con it was with Michael and Denise Okuda!

For me, as a Star Trek fan, it was a dream come true. It was like Disneyworld for me. I was standing on the sets I'd seen since I was a kid. It was like "HOLY poo poo THIS IS REAL!" You get to stand on the transporter, you see the Jeffries Tube, Sickbay, everything. Then when you back and watch the show you think "I was there, and I was there, I stood next to that wall, etc.

If they are able to do the TNG sets like Cawley wants, with that level of detail, the blueprints, and the Okudas helping, it will be amazing!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Astroman posted:

If they are able to do the TNG sets like Cawley wants, with that level of detail, the blueprints, and the Okudas helping, it will be amazing!

Whoa, is this actually in the works?

I went to Star Trek: The Experience in Vegas when I was like fourteen and I won't lie, as awful tourist trappy as it was, the turbolift doors opening onto the Ent-D bridge was pretty goddamn phenomenal iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Drone posted:

Whoa, is this actually in the works?

I went to Star Trek: The Experience in Vegas when I was like fourteen and I won't lie, as awful tourist trappy as it was, the turbolift doors opening onto the Ent-D bridge was pretty goddamn phenomenal iirc.

Same--the Vegas Experience was great!

They bought the building next door and for a while were talking about making it into a Trek themed hotel. Last time I was there Cawley was saying he was in talks with CBS about doing a full TNG set replica instead.

It would be perfect because they've been building and perfecting the TOS sets for years, and are running out of things to do. Also Cawley interned on TNG under Theiss so he actually saw the sets, and he's tight with the Okudas.

As busy as they get with events now, doing those sets, bringing in TNG actors, and that whole group of fans that grew up with TNG instead of TOS would be exponential growth.