Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Darth Walrus posted:

The first episode of SEED promises you soap opera and giant robots. The series then delivers soap opera and giant robots. It does its job.

I disagree on how well it previews the soap opera aspect of the show, and a Gundam show delivering on the promise of giant robot is, like, the lowest bar possible.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
G Gundam has the best first episode in all of Gundam. Dude beats the poo poo out of some angry wop while yelling at him about a photograph.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paper Kaiju posted:

Wing and Turn A both have excellent first episodes, because they both give you a great preview of what you can expect in both tone and focus for the rest of the series. Both SEED series kinda fail in this regard.

That raises a kind of interesting question, I think. A first episode is trying to do two things. First, it's selling you on the concepts for the show, letting you know what it's all about. Second, it's telling a story of its own.

For example, if the first episode of Turn A kicked off Gundam SEED, it would still be just as good taken in a vacuum, but it would do a terrible job at setting up the rest of the show. Or, to use an actual example, the Build Divers prologue is kind of fun, but sets up all the wrong expectations for the show and barely introduces you to anything that's going to be relevant. Meanwhile, the actual pilot is boring, but it sets up the "real" main characters, the premise, and the tone much better. Even when it's easy to say which is the better episode, the better pilot is a more difficult question.

Ignoring OVAs since they play by different rules, and going by rough memory, I think the pilot episodes, for me, break down something like this.

Iron Blooded Orphans (Dozens of characters, a solid hook, a distinct setting, and it still has room for action sequences. Show slows down later, but it kicks off at full speed.)

Turn A (IBO has to do more setup, making me give it the edge, but as an episode, it's almost certainly the best. We get Loran's time on Earth from arrival to just before the main fleet returns, and it's beautiful. And all without a single fight, or Gundam, and with the only Mobile Suit barely showing up.)

0079 (Points for being the first, obviously, but it's pretty impressive even aside from that. While most of the cast still hasn't been properly introduced when it ends, everyone we do meet is reasonably well defined. Even the Zeon grunts get bits to show they're people with reasons for their actions, not just villains for the sake of having a show. And Amuro spacing his dad is a pretty great bit of early tragedy to remind new viewers that this is the same Tomino who just finished Zambot.)

G Gundam (It's a bit fighter of the week, but you learn a lot about Domon and Rain, and the tone of the show gets set. Plus, it has Domon running through machinegun fire and catching all the bullets with one hand, so, you know. Got that.)

00 Gundam (Great opening scene, but then it's kind of awkwardly balanced, with us knowing too much and too little at once. It also felt like it had more trouble deciding on what to focus on than most Gundam shows.)

Then you have AGE, SEED, SEED Destiny, and Build Divers, in that order, which I don't really feel up to talking about more. Interesting spread, really.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I think you'll find ZZ Gundam episode 1 is the actual best first episode. It's just so darn educational :haw:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The best first episode of all of Gundam belongs to SPACE GUNDAM V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I45t35j8TSs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Really?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RillAkBea posted:

I think you'll find ZZ Gundam episode 1 is the actual best first episode. It's just so darn educational :haw:

Char's only appearance as a narrator and he spends the whole time arguing with school kids that he's cooler than Amuro and Kamille.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

0079 (Points for being the first, obviously, but it's pretty impressive even aside from that. While most of the cast still hasn't been properly introduced when it ends, everyone we do meet is reasonably well defined.

Char is the only major character I can think of who isn't introduced in the first episode, unless you want to count other major antagonists like the Zabis; which are almost never introduced right off the bat anyway.

chiasaur11 posted:

G Gundam (It's a bit fighter of the week, but you learn a lot about Domon and Rain, and the tone of the show gets set. Plus, it has Domon running through machinegun fire and catching all the bullets with one hand, so, you know. Got that.).

Minor point of contention, but he catches the bullets while crouching down to protect a kid rather than while running. The fact he's doing it to protect a kid is cool enough the distinction is worth making though, I feel.

chiasaur11 posted:

00 Gundam (Great opening scene, but then it's kind of awkwardly balanced, with us knowing too much and too little at once. It also felt like it had more trouble deciding on what to focus on than most Gundam shows.)

I don't really get what you mean by awkwardly balanced, and knowing both too much and too little. I think 00's first episode does a really good job of introducing it's cast and setting up some intrigue in the disparity in technology, how Celestial Being operate etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
G Gundam's first episode is incredibly weird because they spend a fair amount of time talking about how the Earth is a hellscape fighting arena full of downtrodden peasantry who were abandoned to die by the colonial elites but that plot point really doesn't exist in the show beyond then.

The Devil Gundam's backstory was it was created to regenerate the ruined Earth, and that's what Master Asia wants to use it for as well(as well as wiping out all humans on Earth), but neither of those points have much to do with the grizzled trenchcoat guy yelling about bastard colonials or the waifs surviving in their bombed out city.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tomokazu Seki is voicing characters that make reference to Domon's catchphrases 25 years later in TYOOL 2019, and that's something I can deeply appreciate about G Gundam. :kimchi:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I love the opening scene of 0079. The scene of the colony, the big blast that goes through it, the narration (seriously I love "where people are born and raised.... and die." bit) then shots of the colony drop and zaku's tells you so much about setting in such a short timeframe.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

The Devil Gundam's backstory was it was created to regenerate the ruined Earth, and that's what Master Asia wants to use it for as well(as well as wiping out all humans on Earth), but neither of those points have much to do with the grizzled trenchcoat guy yelling about bastard colonials or the waifs surviving in their bombed out city.

It's not much of an explicit plot point beyond then perhaps, but almost everywhere Domon/Rain go is ravaged and poor, with Neo Hong Kong being one of the few places that seems relatively prosperous and multiple people have notably shittier lives because of it. Including several of the new Shuffle Alliance. Chibodee was driven to become a Gundam Fighter because he wanted to escape the shittiness that was life on Earth, and maybe pull the rest of old America up with him if he can manage it, while Sai Saici is a poor monk whose temple/discipline is derided because it's part of Earth. The only characters who are better off on Earth are Gundam Fighters like the Shuffle Alliance or Gentle Chapman. It's more of a background element that is focused through Master Asia, and creates a frame for the rest of the show's melodrama than a plot point of it's own really.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

It's not much of an explicit plot point beyond then perhaps, but almost everywhere Domon/Rain go is ravaged and poor, with Neo Hong Kong being one of the few places that seems relatively prosperous and multiple people have notably shittier lives because of it. Including several of the new Shuffle Alliance. Chibodee was driven to become a Gundam Fighter because he wanted to escape the shittiness that was life on Earth, and maybe pull the rest of old America up with him if he can manage it, while Sai Saici is a poor monk whose temple/discipline is derided because it's part of Earth. The only characters who are better off on Earth are Gundam Fighters like the Shuffle Alliance or Gentle Chapman. It's more of a background element that is focused through Master Asia, and creates a frame for the rest of the show's melodrama than a plot point of it's own really.

Master Asia's MO doesn't really focus on downtrodden peasantry, though. Master Asia doesn't want to help people, he explicitly wants everyone dead in order to pursue an idealized vision of a pristine Earth because he thinks humanity is irredeemable and must be punished for their sins against nature.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Master Asia's motivation comes from the same place as Domon's father though; both saw the ruination of the Earth and while Domon's father wanted to heal it, Master Asia wanted to kill all the people and let it heal. The culmination of his fight with Domon and his arc is Domon pointing out that people are part of nature too, and you can't just heal the planet without them. Which he accepts as he's dying.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

Or, to use an actual example, the Build Divers prologue is kind of fun, but sets up all the wrong expectations for the show and barely introduces you to anything that's going to be relevant. Meanwhile, the actual pilot is boring, but it sets up the "real" main characters, the premise, and the tone much better. Even when it's easy to say which is the better episode, the better pilot is a more difficult question.

I really wanted to like BD, but gave up watching a couple episodes before the ending. :( It had a cool setting, good side characters and swanky suit designs. I even thought Riku's drive to constantly improve was pretty good. But the end product just didn't gel well together and melted into a pile of wasted potential thanks to the hamfisted living AI plot.

Wark Say posted:

Tomokazu Seki is voicing characters that make reference to Domon's catchphrases 25 years later in TYOOL 2019, and that's something I can deeply appreciate about G Gundam. :kimchi:

I can only hope that when it gets dubbed, Tomokazu Seki voices this cartoon character.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first episode of Wing gives you clapping students, unwarranted death threats and no machine guns for him.
Does anyone have a link to those old Wing videos thst condensed each episode down to four or five minutes of the craziest scenes? It wasn't an abridged series.

My favorite part is how the video maker made Relena introducing herself to thin air seem even crazier somehow.

Wing is the best.

Speaking of insanity, where is the love for the first episode of Zeta where Kamille attacks a Space Nazi for kinda saying something vaguely rude about his name and then he's arrested only for his mom to bail him out but then he immediately attacks his captors again before running away and stealing a car and jumping out of the car while it was still moving?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 4, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

amigolupus posted:

I can only hope that when it gets dubbed, Tomokazu Seki voices this cartoon character.
Hopefully!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

amigolupus posted:

I really wanted to like BD, but gave up watching a couple episodes before the ending. :( It had a cool setting, good side characters and swanky suit designs. I even thought Riku's drive to constantly improve was pretty good. But the end product just didn't gel well together and melted into a pile of wasted potential thanks to the hamfisted living AI plot.

Even the loving music is a ref.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

amigolupus posted:

Build Divers feels like a show where the Director or writer got handed the project and decided to use it as a vehicle to tell their own pet story at the forefront.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Even the loving music is a ref.

Brock and his girlfriend of the week did a Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken to beat up team rocket's devil gundam in an episode of the pokemon anime, unfortunately the video I had found of it was taken down.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kurieg posted:

Brock and his girlfriend of the week did a Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken to beat up team rocket's devil gundam in an episode of the pokemon anime, unfortunately the video I had found of it was taken down.

Here's a tweet, tho'

https://twitter.com/GengarFantasma/status/1082712641058103300

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

What really sold it was how deep they bought in. The loving Team Rocket robot had a drat Mobile Trace System in it and looked like the drat Devil Gundam.

edit: https://twitter.com/Story_terrorV2/status/1081858852973236225

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 5, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

in retrospect these stills make me feel it's more a cautionary tale about not love love tenkyoken'ning unless you're really sure, and comfortable with your partner lol

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Warmachine posted:

What really sold it was how deep they bought in. The loving Team Rocket robot had a drat Mobile Trace System in it and looked like the drat Devil Gundam.

They do an abbreviated version of the invocation too. It's great.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Warmachine posted:

the real surprise of this clip is the randomly thrown-in time bokan reference at the end

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

dogsicle posted:

the real surprise of this clip is the randomly thrown-in time bokan reference at the end

Not really that random considering Team Rocket has been one giant reference to Time Bokan from the very beginning

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like it's usually not so directly acknowledged, and it made me glad

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

drrockso20 posted:

Not really that random considering Team Rocket has been one giant reference to Time Bokan from the very beginning
Yeah the dynamic of a hot lady and two doofuses is like a cosmic pattern now.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Has there been any word on when Gundam Battle Operation 2 is getting released in NA? I periodically google it for updates, but there really hasn't been anything since July.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Goddamn Louise. I'm rewatching 00 for the first time in years and gently caress, I forgot how much I loathe Louise for the first half of season 1.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Goddamn Louise. I'm rewatching 00 for the first time in years and gently caress, I forgot how much I loathe Louise for the first half of season 1.

Well poo poo goes south for her pretty soon

I actually kind of liked Louise and Saiji kinda being a metaphor for the average first world citizen in S1.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lousi and Saiji in get better on rewatch IMO, seeing 00 for the first time they seem like pointless filler outside of Saji's sister.
Not saying their s2 arcs are fully worth it in the end, they aren't perfect.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zedd posted:

Lousi and Saiji in get better on rewatch IMO, seeing 00 for the first time they seem like pointless filler outside of Saji's sister.
Not saying their s2 arcs are fully worth it in the end, they aren't perfect.

I agree with this. When I initially saw 00, they seemed to distract from the "Ooooh cool mecha," but as I grew up and re-watched the series, they're important as the 'civilian perspective' on all of this Gundam fuckery.

Speaking of rewatch, I just finished Gundam Wing again, and concluded that we need more Dorothy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'd like louise and saiji a lot more if their lives were actually interesting to watch. The civilian perspective thing is cool though

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I distinctly remember some of the reactions to Louise on /m/ being about the time I started realizing "oh these dudes just really hate women huh"

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Warmachine posted:

Speaking of rewatch, I just finished Gundam Wing again, and concluded that we need more Dorothy.

It's a scientifically proven fact that every Gundam show is quantitatively improved with an increase in the amount of Dorothy.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The civilian perspective on Zeta owned in the first episode. Gundams are terrifying

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Imagine your wife never comes home from work because Jerid pilots like an imbecile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I definitely appreciate the civilian perspective in 00 and, to be honest, Louise and Saji don't annoy me the entire time. But man I will say that the whole wedding droning of her fam and the aftermath was a big moment of me feeling really awful. I didn't finish the second season way back when I first watched and haven't started it yet in my rewatch (just got to Lockon losing his eye) but it really ramps up. Saji's whole life crashing down along with Louise's is more effective than I remembered.