Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

twoday posted:

Look, they are starting a new round (or “rogue”) of parliament, so they need to “prorogue” it. But the only one with any power ceremonially is the queen. So she must ceremonially give away her power to the parliament, so she must be involved. And where does the queen get her power? From her ancestors who are buried in a “cairn” or stone tomb under Buckingham palace, which represents the realm of the dead. But the living can only cross the bridge between the realms of the living and the dead in the darkest phase of the lunar cycle, a.k.a. the “New Moon.” To guarantee that she will have enough time to do this, she is given 4 weeks (28 days, one full lunar cycle) to do the ritual in the cairn, plus one more week to prepare the speech. This is why there are 5 weeks of proroguement. On the night of the new moon she consults with the spirits of her ancestors in the cairn, and “charges up” the Golden Mace with parliamentary authority from the collective ancestors of the crown. Then she delivers a speech and the mace is returned to the House of Commons, newly recharged with ancient authority, and a new session (or “rogue”) of parliament can begin. The queen is the only one who can wear the crown, and thus the only one who contact the dead monarchs on the New Moon, so it is essential that she is involved. It may be largely ceremonial, but failing to comply would be a violation of the Druidic code by which Parliament functions, and if they didn’t do this, the whole house of commons would be considered “tainted” and they would have to ceremonially sacrifice them and throw them into a bog. This would require an entire set of local elections to be done, and even more delays (to prepare them for sacrifice, etc.), it would really be a giant headache.

British parliamentary procedure may seem a bit old-fashioned at times, but it’s not as complicated as it seems, and really quite logical, and when you think about it it’s ultimately not very different from the American system.

now i understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/VP/status/1169728827213303808?s=20

Very wholesome vibes here

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*

redleader posted:

yeah, i can't believe they still let the queen have all the swans

how much wealth do you think the royal family has in the commonwealth tax havens?

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

a bunch of sticks bound together can be a symbol of government, makes u think

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

oh yeah free trade deals with the US are always super great for the victim uh participant

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

sorry what

https://twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1169720609095462913

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Maybe that forces an election to happen, which could mean that any useful business gets pushed back a couple of weeks, which means the country slides into no-deal Brexit.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

prefect posted:

The Lincoln Memorial has fasces carved right into the front of it. It wasn't an uncommon symbol before you-know-who.

READ ANOTHER GODDAMN BOOK

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Squizzle posted:

???the southern baptists are an evangelical denomination tho?????????
Boy, did I mess up. I was thinking of (but not saying) "holiness churches and Pentecostals". There are a heck of a lot of newly-Pentecostal Hispanic people. Not so many Southern Baptist Hispanic people.

(thread drift ends.)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is that a thing that happens?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is that a thing that happens?

*picks up phone*
BREXIT!
*click*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Raskolnikov38 posted:

READ ANOTHER GODDAMN BOOK

I realize this is a joke, but I would like to say in my defense that I have never read a Harry Potter book or seen one of the movies. I might have touched some of the books -- I used to work in a bookstore. But I haven't read the jacket copy, either. :colbert:

(There are certain accusations that must be denied, even if they were made in jest.)

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I think it is the speakers gift to hear a vote of no confidence, only the leader of the opposition is guaranteed a vote.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

he's not wrong

your country is also called "Airstrip One" now

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Kaedric posted:

did I do this right

you did good man

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a gammon than the outside of a chud.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

grape i mean this in the nicest possible way when i say this, but please stop making posts

Oh no, oliwan and This Guy are upset. I've gone too far.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Would be epic if a vote of no confidence also failed to pass.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1169740741846982658?s=20

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i'm just gonna post this here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoR4h6SQGg

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Once the UK is out, the US is in. No lube or nothing, so get ready.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Jo Jo in blow to bro Bo Jo’s majo as Bo Jo’s bro Jo Jo goes

page 2: ScarJo, ho?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
broad germanic forehead and coiled potency

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
this government failing to pass its own no confidence motion would be completely on brand

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

We're joining the EU?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Martout posted:

broad germanic forehead and coiled potency

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because its stupid as gently caress that you haven't beheaded them in the past 200 years

You have a political office that's got all the power of a monarch but they use that power every day, and 1/4 of every term is dedicated to the country going completely insane in a disgusting media spectacle in order to prepare for the next term. in comparison our old lady seems to last about 70 years with maybe only commemorative plate collectors going insane at the start and end.

hobbesmaster posted:

it didn’t really have the same connotations until Mussolini

The yanks started using it even more after Mussolini, specifically around the time they started their most public suppression of political dissident groups like communists and black people

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

shyduck posted:

We're joining the EU?

In a manner of speaking

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

HorseLord posted:

You have a political office that's got all the power of a monarch but they use that power every day, and 1/4 of every term is dedicated to the country going completely insane in a disgusting media spectacle in order to prepare for the next term. in comparison our old lady seems to last about 70 years with maybe only commemorative plate collectors going insane at the start and end.

The yanks started using it even more after Mussolini, specifically around the time they started their most public suppression of political dissident groups like communists and black people

yes but we elect them so its infinitely better

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

like the third time ive mentioned this so i know your getting tired of hearing it, but if the govt fails a vonc, law doesnt compel a ge until 2 weeks have passed w/o someone gaining the confidence of the chamber

hes just running out the clock

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

HorseLord posted:

yeah we know the country was super in favor of nazis until pearl harbor

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

like the third time ive mentioned this so i know your getting tired of hearing it, but if the govt fails a vonc, law doesnt compel a ge until 2 weeks have passed w/o someone gaining the confidence of the chamber

hes just running out the clock
Or in this government's case, if the government passes a VONC there is not a GE until 2 weeks have passed.

If the government fails to pass a VONC in itself then there is no election.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

people laugh, but when England is the worlds greatest Amazon Fulfillment Centre who'll be laughing then!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

airstrip 1!!!!

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

the 80s were a great time for art and I therefore welcome the brexit apocalypse.

up the (classical) fall

twoday
May 4, 2005

According to FPTA 2011, if the VONC succeeds than there must be a GE unless the parliament approves an alternative within 14 days, which it can not do if it is prorogued, so does it default to an automatic election, or is that 14 days counted once parliament is back in session?

Are they still going to be prorogued?

I just saw that there are two prorogation-related petitions scheduled to be debated in parliament but I can’t figure out if they are going to be prorogued before debating them or not?

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

dpf posted:

the 80s were a great time for art and I therefore welcome the brexit apocalypse.

up the (classical) fall

The Fall were the soundtrack to what a post-apocalyptic version of Britain would sound like. Which I guess was contemporary Manchester at the time.