Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

VitalSigns posted:

This is DnD where we only playact at serious discussion, while in reality the goal is just to find some rhetorical way to own our posting enemies, so yeah sure let's just make up some bullshit equivocation.

Think I found my new sig.

In all seriousness though I feel it's important to scrutinize any candidate and make sure that belief and optimism dont disguise thier faults, but i struggle to come up with solid criticisms of Bernie as someone on the left. Heres what I got
1:He old
2:He may have trouble making good on his promises as the otherside of the aisle will not work with him and it's not unlikely members of his own party may obstruct him.

He just seems to generally mean well and is relatively well versed on most major issues. And he seems like the only leading candidate that has consistently tried to uphold the ideals he expresses on the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"The other side of the aisle will not work with him and members of his own party might obstruct his agenda at the behest of their donors" is an odd criticism to me because the former applies to every Democrat (Republicans filibustered their own ideas once Obama adopted any of them) so if that's a reason not to support someone then we'd have to vote straight-ticket Republican. The latter is also odd because that also applies to every Democrat (the excuse for ACA sucking as bad as it did was that Lieberman obstructed the public option, the reason the DREAM Act failed despite enough moderate Republicans crossing the aisle to pass it were chud Democrats like Manchin and Tester crossing the aisle the other way to filibuster it), so I'm not sure what the alternative is there, just directly elect Aetna Corp to the presidency?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wait, does Diamond Joe always wear aviators because his eyeballs are constantly exploding?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Trump had total control of the govt for 2 years and couldn’t repeal healthcare or do anything meaningful or useful beyond the big tax cuts and Supreme Court appointments that would’ve gone through in spite of him unless a Democrat won.

I’d argue that Bernie being president while being a step in the right direction will probably be an equally scandalous presidency in that nobody in congress or the senate will give him the votes he needs to pass any of his signature policies without watering them down to ineffectiveness.

I could also see 2022 congress defunding M4A before it comes into full force or stopping it even if it passes in much the same way the ACA has been stunted now.

The media will also double down on straight up slandering the Bernie administration to the point that everyone will think he was worse than Jimmy Carter.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kraftwerk posted:

Trump had total control of the govt for 2 years and couldn’t repeal healthcare or do anything meaningful or useful beyond the big tax cuts and Supreme Court appointments that would’ve gone through in spite of him unless a Democrat won.

I’d argue that Bernie being president while being a step in the right direction will probably be an equally scandalous presidency in that nobody in congress or the senate will give him the votes he needs to pass any of his signature policies without watering them down to ineffectiveness.

I could also see 2022 congress defunding M4A before it comes into full force or stopping it even if it passes in much the same way the ACA has been stunted now.

The media will also double down on straight up slandering the Bernie administration to the point that everyone will think he was worse than Jimmy Carter.

Lol at the boogyman of worse than Carter. Carter was one of the best presidents of the last 50 years.

Also 'equally scandalous' is a loving riot.

What other good ones do you have for us Mr prognosticator.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

That's because the rest of his agenda was hilariously crushingly unpopular, only a handful of donors wanted to cut $2 trillion from Medicaid in order to finance a payroll tax cut for the rich.

The opposite situation, a platform with massive public support being opposed by only a handful of donors, might not play out the same way.

E: Also just from an electability standpoint maybe we shouldn't run on "better ideas will never ever happen" again, that turned out really bad last time!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

"The lovely things that exist now, will continue to exist after Bernie Sanders is elected."

Spot on political prognostication there, my friend.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Mahoning posted:

"The lovely things that exist now, will continue to exist after Bernie Sanders is elected."

Spot on political prognostication there, my friend.

This also completely ignored the strength of the bully pulpit.

Just look at all the crazy poo poo Trump has pushed mainstream in just 2 years.

Angry Bernie forcing the issues is going to wake up a lot of people and they’re going to be pissed if their supposedly D reps are blocking poo poo that has overwhelming support.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Lol at the boogyman of worse than Carter. Carter was one of the best presidents of the last 50 years.

Also 'equally scandalous' is a loving riot.

What other good ones do you have for us Mr prognosticator.

Carter had an EXTRAORDINARILY bad relationship with Congress, which seriously hurt his ability to pass things.

I'm somewhat less concerned about Bernie having trouble in that particular way (not least because he comes from a billion years in the Senate and nonzero success there), but Congress is more inherently intransigent these days even without the McConnell Factor too soooo

edit Warren almost certainly has the same problems (and similar reasons to be mildly optimistic) and lol Biden

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Carter had an EXTRAORDINARILY bad relationship with Congress, which seriously hurt his ability to pass things.

I'm somewhat less concerned about Bernie having trouble in that particular way (not least because he comes from a billion years in the Senate and nonzero success there), but Congress is more inherently intransigent these days even without the McConnell Factor too soooo

edit Warren almost certainly has the same problems (and similar reasons to be mildly optimistic) and lol Biden

I know time feels weird under Donny, but being a Senator since 2007 is hardly a billion years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Bernie has been in Congress for nearly 30 years. His overall point is valid.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I like how we say it's "just a tax cut." That tax cut costs 1.9 trillion over 10 years if the middle class part is allowed to expire and the tax hikes on individuals go through. If, instead, the tax hikes on low and middle classes that are set to kick in in 2027 (that are there just to make it fit in under reconciliation rules) never happen (no one is going to allow tax hikes to go into effect on the bottom half of the income distribution), the expected effect on yearly deficits is in the order of nearly 400 billion a year. In other words, in fiscal terms, the tax cut is more money than eliminating all student debt (1 time 1.5 trillion expense), making all public college free (estimated 80 billion a year) and make 60k the minimum salary for teachers across the country (estimated cost about 180 billion a year). The tax cuts were a big deal, for all the wrong reasons. And here's the thing, they were deeply unpopular, unlike these 3 policies I mentioned that are all extremely popular.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gyges posted:

I know time feels weird under Donny, but being a Senator since 2007 is hardly a billion years.

He's been there longer than 67 other Senators by my count.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Phone posted:

You know you can save everyone a lot of time by just saying “better things aren’t possible”, maybe throw in a few clap emojis.

Your argument against pending climate catastrophe is that it’s inevitable and trying to avoid it isn’t realistic. Cool.

Climate change is a huge foreign policy issue, and I was curious why people here have this “only one candidate will save us” attitude about it. From what I can tell, it’s because he’ll adjust reconciliation to shove through the GND.

It’s not an unsatisfactory answer. I still think the theatrics about how hosed we are that the next person just slightly to the right of that dooms is all is ridiculous, but it’s not surprising given that this forum will slowly rule out every option until only the furthest to the left one remains.

VitalSigns posted:

How did young hip virile President Barack Obama do at keeping the fash from getting stronger.

Oh god right

He didn’t bother to do anything, and that was the problem.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Craptacular! posted:

I still think the theatrics about how hosed we are that the next person just slightly to the right of that dooms is all is ridiculous, but it’s not surprising given that this forum will slowly rule out every option until only the furthest to the left one remains.

dude we're probably completely hosed, as in human civilization will end within the next hundred years, even if sanders does win, and if you think otherwise you know approximately jack poo poo about climate change. poo poo is happening right now that wasn't predicted to happen for another fifty fuckin years. we do not have time to gently caress around with any candidates who are not pushing the absolute hardest against climate change. it is absolutely and without question the biggest issue right now, nothing else even fuckin matters if we don't address it as aggressively as possible right the gently caress now. this is an existential crisis to humanity and the fact that you see it as an excuse to push out less-left candidates is maybe the dumbest take i've seen on climate change, and that includes all the idiot poo poo chuds say about it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Climate change is a huge foreign policy issue, and I was curious why people here have this “only one candidate will save us” attitude about it. From what I can tell, it’s because he’ll adjust reconciliation to shove through the GND.

It’s not an unsatisfactory answer. I still think the theatrics about how hosed we are that the next person just slightly to the right of that dooms is all is ridiculous, but it’s not surprising given that this forum will slowly rule out every option until only the furthest to the left one remains.

His climate plan is considerably better than Warren's ($16T total cost vs like $4T for Warren's*), and he has a history that makes him a far more reliable vector for actually pushing to achieve it (while there's no logical reason to trust Warren to actually be strong on pretty much any issue other than possible banking regulation).

* there are a lot more details than this obviously, but it's a good shorthand for how seriously they're taking the issue

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 5, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joepinetree posted:

eliminating all student debt (1 time 1.5 trillion expense), making all public college free (estimated 80 billion a year) and make 60k the minimum salary for teachers across the country (estimated cost about 180 billion a year)

but how will we pay for it

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Craptacular! posted:

Consider the following:

1) A lot of the people suggesting that it's either Bernie or the end of electoralism don't think Warren is "just slightly to the right" of Sanders. They think she's considerably to the right of him; in fact, there are people posting in this thread who have explicitly stated that they think she's much closer to Harris or Buttigieg than she is to Sanders.
2) There are a lot of people who are pretty upset about how far to the right Sanders himself is; this is why you'll see a lot of people in this thread suggesting that Bernie is a compromise candidate, even though he's obviously the furthest left candidate in the field.
3) There are people who think that electoralism has already failed, and that people working to elect Bernie are wasting their time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Please explain how we avoid climate death without banning fracking, preferably with links to scientific papers or something like that, instead of smarm about how anyone who thinks we need to is a crazy far left theatrical radical who is so melodramatic that we don't need to concern ourselves with theatrics like "evidence" or "science".

Craptacular! posted:

Hm you don't say, it's almost like
(wait for it)
age of the president isn't the determining factor in whether fascism gains or loses appeal, but rather the ideology that president is offering as an alternative to fascism.

Maybe
(wait for it)
an old demsoc president with a demsoc VP is going to be better at creating a movement to combat the appeal of fascism even if he dies after one term than another neolib empty suit whose sole goal in life is to make rousing West Wing speeches that catapult him into power where he can mulch the poor into stacks of money for his Wall Street friends while he collects kickbacks then retires to parasail on billionaire island.
Maybe.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 5, 2019

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Craptacular! posted:

What is it about people that makes you think Bernie, who gave an old fashioned “talking forever” filibuster for eight hours, would want to completely erase the filibuster?

Also, some people say stuff like this...

...all while others accuse Warren supporters of not having sufficient reasons. I like Bernie, but the ideal of Bernie that lives in your guys heads doesn’t seem like the real person, and I certainly don’t see the world in such stark definitions. I can’t see “vote Bernie or democracy dies” resembling any such thing as a good faith argument.

My God how do you people still keep talking yourselves into such blatant bullshit like this? This take is even more naive than partisan at this point.

Warren blew it early on by 1) not adopting the Sanders policy platforms, especially M4A, and 2) falling for Trump’s stupid Pocahontas DNA test early on, which demonstrates a level of arrogant, political incompetence that even Hillary never managed to accomplish during the 2016 election, other than losing.

None of her “plans” address the fundamental trinity of unholy bullshit that is going to wipe this country out: corporate welfare, automation, and climate change. You’ll notice how late capitalism is at the heart of all three.

And yes, Bernie is literally the last chance at electoralism saving the perceived incarnation of this country as we know it i.e. liberal democracy from collapsing into a fascist dystopia of corporate monopolies destroying everything from social bonds to infrastructure with a mad king sitting on the ashes.

This bullshit from the media and Warren surrogates that he has a personality cult is projection. I’ll even give you a major critique I have of Bernie (other than refusing to send every billionaire to the guillotine). Not adopting a form of UBI. Automation is loving real, I see it every day, and I genuinely don’t think Bernie or his team yet realize the impact this is having on most people. It should be alarming to the Bernie team when you have a goddamn libertarian cretin like Yang amassing support that quickly solely for addressing the issue.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1169737267436539904?s=19

He's good, folks

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tim Ryan surge in Texas

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Re: Bernie vs. Yang

https://twitter.com/zackgianino/status/1169657860378132480?s=21

Whoopie is needlessly antagonistic here, but her views on UBI I believe represent most of America. There is no rational reason for Bernie to not adopt a UBI policy. FFS if anything do it so we never have to hear from Yang and his libertarian fans like Musk again.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I do think that tweet is from a different planet, I don't see that as a "striking blow to Bernie Sanders".

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 6, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol that they had to cut his answer from the video

I wonder what it was

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wait, does Diamond Joe always wear aviators because his eyeballs are constantly exploding?

Biden 2020: Where we’re going, we won’t need eyes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

readingatwork posted:

Biden 2020: Where we’re going, we won’t need eyes.

Biden 20: Vision

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mahoning posted:

Bernie has been in Congress for nearly 30 years. His overall point is valid.

I actually did think he was a senator for longer though :saddowns:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamcbest/status/1169425524638306309

We need answers actually.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Guys, I think wapo might have it in for Bernard Sanders

https://beta-washingtonpost-com.cdn...From%20%251%24s

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
WaPo, owned by Amazon Founder Jeff Bezos, who is set to lose in a Sanders victory, who Sanders campaigned for them to pay employees a fair wage, that Amazon screwed them out of their bonus' and restructured to gently caress them over...that guy...his paper...has it out for Sanders?

I'd give for Teddy Rex to be President for a bit.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Really telling how she didn't even quote the question he was asked that lead to this "blunder"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Man, I really should have looked into a career of being paid to be an idiot. Democrats are against a thing, Bernie just said he was also against that thing, what a gaffe! Cash check.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
You know it's a real and big gaffe when it takes 6-7 explanatory paragraphs to even make the argument that it's a gaffe. Oh and also it's in the opinion section instead of the news section.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Magic Underwear posted:

You know it's a real and big gaffe when it takes 6-7 explanatory paragraphs to even make the argument that it's a gaffe. Oh and also it's in the opinion section instead of the news section.

This Sanders gaffe has been brought to you in part by Chevron, with Techron.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I just happened to notice the thread title while thinking of Joe Biden's exploding eye. What are the chances they are related?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/eponawest/status/1169471793389690881?s=19

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Tag yourself. I'm the person in this thread who literally just said thousands of innocent people should be killed in the name of leftist politics.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Oh for gently caress's sake I'll bear the burden, I'm 'it' you bastards and I'll carry it to the grave of our current recess.

You fucks better appreciate this playtime weight upon my soul and do something in the interim. Should society be steadily breaking down in the meantime remember that I pantomimed my heart out for a brief fleeting moment on a message board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

CelestialScribe posted:

Tag yourself. I'm the person in this thread who literally just said thousands of innocent people should be killed in the name of leftist politics.

I'm the idiot Australian who shitposts bad faith poo poo in an American politics thread

e: can I get a quote of whoever you imagine said that, cause I could use a good laugh