Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MikeCrotch posted:

I hope you are all going to loudly announce that your creatures are Going On An ADVENTURE and emphatically place them on this token every time you use this ability

Adventure Time theme song, every single time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

I hope you are all going to loudly announce that your creatures are Going On An ADVENTURE and emphatically place them on this token every time you use this ability

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oKp9fdi7ubU

Already downloading my theme song, chief

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Eldraine has made me think that a Plane based on Santa’s Workshop and the darker Christmas stories could be really great; I hope that happens someday

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
was there this much stress about karn scion of urza and his silver counters? That implementation always seemed so clear to me idk why they don't just use adventure counters.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No Wave posted:

was there this much stress about karn scion of urza and his silver counters? That implementation always seemed so clear to me idk why they don't just use adventure counters.

I dont know, the dude yesterday who was acting like the sky was falling said Karn was okay because the silver counters came from his card?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
but like... the adventure cards would generate their own counters when cast (when the left side of this card is cast as a spell, put it into exile with an adventure counter on it). I would sort of prefer that to separate exile zones but it doesnt really matter. I also havent thought through what real differences there would be.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Grimdark fairy tales are boring. We should just have a set that is the sanitized version and have the grimdark planeswalkers walk around bewildered.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Wildly missed cross marketing opportunity to create a new zone in the game:

The Adventure Zone.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think it's a non-issue because at the end of the day, Magic the Gathering cards are physical objects that you can orient differently to display different states, and Arena already is a non-issue with cards in the same zone having multiple states and displaying them intuitively.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

AngryBooch posted:

Wildly missed cross marketing opportunity to create a new zone in the game:

The Adventure Zone.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Looking forward to the adventure time version of the token

Oh hey

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Adventure Time theme song, every single time

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Think about the feelbads when you cast an adventure creature straight to the battlefield

They could have had an adventure and you robbed it from them. You monster

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Think WotC made a mistake waiting this long between the initial trailer and spoiler season. Their video got a ton of buzz and now people are just sitting around waiting.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

moush posted:

Think WotC made a mistake waiting this long between the initial trailer and spoiler season. Their video got a ton of buzz and now people are just sitting around waiting.

it came out yesterday

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I imagine Adventure cards being exiled rather than using counters or poo poo to track it is to avoid the potential of someone thinking it's a permanent in play they can destroy, as opposed to a card in exile which is usually considered untouchable.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Taking bets that the Professor is gonna get either another crappy card as a joke or a pauper reprint for his preview just because I'm sure they're aware of how salty he is about that

On another note I hope Spellstutter Sprite is in this set, it's my all time favorite card and I like collecting them

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tainen posted:

On the live steam they just said they didn’t have any news today on the 2:1 Historic cards but that “the feedback has been heard, we are aware that people are not happy”

Also there is a token to put your creatures on that have gone on their adventure

this is literally the perfect solution to any complaints I had, and indeed justifies the entire mechanic :allears:

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I dont know, the dude yesterday who was acting like the sky was falling said Karn was okay because the silver counters came from his card?

No Wave posted:

but like... the adventure cards would generate their own counters when cast (when the left side of this card is cast as a spell, put it into exile with an adventure counter on it). I would sort of prefer that to separate exile zones but it doesnt really matter. I also havent thought through what real differences there would be.

I said that karn's silver counters were a good way to solve memory issues. Adventure Time is the best way to solve memory issues

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

I made a very janky Golgari deck that is all about getting Drakuseth, Maw of the Flames in the Graveyard, and then using Bond of Revival to pull it out and win the game. It wins pretty frequently but I mostly play unranked matches. Essentially the best starting hand is like 2 lands (1B, 1G), Erstwhile Trooper, Drak, Bond, Llanowar Elf, Leyline Prowler. I take a mulligan if I don't have a bond in my starting hand.

4x Llanowar Elves (ramp obviously)
2x Status // Statue (Creature / Enchantment removal, and in a pinch potentially give a creature deathtouch)
3x Kraul Harpooner (to take out enemy flyers)
4x Glowspore Shaman (chance to mill drak into gy, but also make sure I can get 5 mana to play Bond of Revival)
4x Gorging Vulture (see above, but also healing when I mill a creature)
4x Erstwhile Trooper (use them to sac a drak in my hand)
2x Leyline Prowler (ramp)
3x Deathsproud (ramp and removal)
2x Golgari Findbroker (use them to pull Kraul Harpooner out if I need flying removal, if not I use them for Underrealm Lich)
4x Bond of Revival (the key card in the deck)
1x Underrealm Lich (I would get more of them, but I don't have that many mythic rare wild cards and it's not like I take this deck seriously. Use it to make sure I DON'T mill a Bond of Revival)
4x Drakuseth, Maw of Flames (The "I win" button of this deck, deals roughly ~17 damage, per swing. Can clear entire boards at once)
2x Molderhulk (Back up in case for some reason you can't get a Drak in play)
7x Swamp
6x Forest
1x Overgrown Tomb
3x Temple of Malady (So you don't accidentally mill a Bond of Revival)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SalTheBard posted:

I made a very janky Golgari deck that is all about getting Drakuseth, Maw of the Flames in the Graveyard, and then using Bond of Revival to pull it out and win the game. It wins pretty frequently but I mostly play unranked matches. Essentially the best starting hand is like 2 lands (1B, 1G), Erstwhile Trooper, Drak, Bond, Llanowar Elf, Leyline Prowler. I take a mulligan if I don't have a bond in my starting hand.

4x Llanowar Elves (ramp obviously)
2x Status // Statue (Creature / Enchantment removal, and in a pinch potentially give a creature deathtouch)
3x Kraul Harpooner (to take out enemy flyers)
4x Glowspore Shaman (chance to mill drak into gy, but also make sure I can get 5 mana to play Bond of Revival)
4x Gorging Vulture (see above, but also healing when I mill a creature)
4x Erstwhile Trooper (use them to sac a drak in my hand)
2x Leyline Prowler (ramp)
3x Deathsproud (ramp and removal)
2x Golgari Findbroker (use them to pull Kraul Harpooner out if I need flying removal, if not I use them for Underrealm Lich)
4x Bond of Revival (the key card in the deck)
1x Underrealm Lich (I would get more of them, but I don't have that many mythic rare wild cards and it's not like I take this deck seriously. Use it to make sure I DON'T mill a Bond of Revival)
4x Drakuseth, Maw of Flames (The "I win" button of this deck, deals roughly ~17 damage, per swing. Can clear entire boards at once)
2x Molderhulk (Back up in case for some reason you can't get a Drak in play)
7x Swamp
6x Forest
1x Overgrown Tomb
3x Temple of Malady (So you don't accidentally mill a Bond of Revival)

Sounds hilarious. I kind of want to run it IRL.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Argas posted:

Sounds hilarious. I kind of want to run it IRL.

It's very hilarious because most of the time once I get Drak into play it's an auto concede.

EDIT: I just calculated the price in Paper Magic and it's like $12

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 6, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SalTheBard posted:

It's very hilarious because most of the time once I get Drak into play it's an auto concede.

EDIT: I just calculated the price in Paper Magic and it's like $12

Too bad about rotation soon. And probably wouldn't hurt to have a sideboard.

But I have been wanting to play a Golgari deck (I got my hands on some JP art Vraska sleeves so now I feel obligated to run something Golgari) so hopefully it can be retuned when Eldraine comes out.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Argas posted:

Too bad about rotation soon. And probably wouldn't hurt to have a sideboard.

But I have been wanting to play a Golgari deck (I got my hands on some JP art Vraska sleeves so now I feel obligated to run something Golgari) so hopefully it can be retuned when Eldraine comes out.

I think the only thing in it rotating out is Llanowar Elves

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

From the smash Bros thread:

:D

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

I said that karn's silver counters were a good way to solve memory issues. Adventure Time is the best way to solve memory issues

Karn's silver tokens also allow new copies of Karn to access the Karn stockpile, whereas effects like Bag of Holding don't carry over from one bag to the next.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ItBreathes posted:

From the smash Bros thread:

:D

x'D

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MikeCrotch posted:

i don't even play paper magic anymore and i'm already doing it

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know it's standardized for simplicity's sake but it would have been a big flavor win if the Golidlocks card made a 3/3, 2/2, and 1/1 bear

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

This token bear is too big (with a +1/+1 counter), this token bear is too small (with a -1/-1 counter), but this token bear is just right (although it’s still a 2/2 with cmc 0 instead of cmc 2)

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have a Rankle rule question.

Since you are the active player, do you order the trigger of the abilities or do they resolve as the card is listed.

Being able to make your 0 card handed opponent draw and then discard while you loot a land seems alright.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

I have a Rankle rule question.

Since you are the active player, do you order the trigger of the abilities or do they resolve as the card is listed.

Being able to make your 0 card handed opponent draw and then discard while you loot a land seems alright.

Multiple actions trigger in the order they're listed on the card.

So if you activate all 3 modes, Rankle will, in order, cause each player to discard a card, then each player to draw a card and lose a life, then each player must sacrifice a creature.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Me thinking this card would be more than a side board option against fatty creatures the deck went from possible to almost zero

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Me thinking this card would be more than a side board option against fatty creatures the deck went from possible to almost zero

Rankle's a little suspect, but mostly because they decided to continue the tread of printing interesting legendaries with the most dies-to-removal statline in existance (4 CMC, 3 toughness, no protections.) Alone he probably can't even establish a discard lock because any removal spell this side of Shock the opponent draws is live against him.

That said, it's the cards that surround him that probably will dictate if he's good enough to at least see Standard play, because his effect IS very powerful even if you only land it once.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DangerDongs posted:

Rankle + Bitterblossom, choosing to Fleshbag Marauder every time the opponent plays a dorky ground creature, sounds like a pretty good lock against a bad 8th edition draft deck.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Can even do it in Standard with Dreadhorde Invasion, sounds like a good lock against a bad Core 2020 draft deck.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Terrible gimmick format idea:

Standard, but Planeswalker Deck walkers cost 2 less to cast.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

mossyfisk posted:

This makes me wonder what modern would be like without planeswalkers.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type%3Aplaneswalker+legal%3Astandard+is%3Aplaneswalkerdeck

Most of them would still be pretty lousy, but Dovin and maybe Liliana would probably reach the realm of playable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mossyfisk posted:

Gideon the Oathsworn would almost be playable except for Gideon Blackblade still being better, even after the discount.

Ral, Caller of Storms has a draw as a +1 and Arc Lightning as -2, which might make him better than Storm Conduit for certain lists at the same CMC.

Dovin, Architect of Law would be actually good at 4 cmc because that + is a hell of a stabilization thing and he'd follow up Time Raveler really well.

Liliana, the Necromancer at 3 cmc would be a worse Last Hope but that's still way above most things.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheDemon posted:

Can even do it in Standard with Dreadhorde Invasion, sounds like a good lock against a bad Core 2020 draft deck.

naw there's way too much removal in 2020 for it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the planeswalkers deck cards got spoiled today

unfortunately, they're still planeswalker deck cards