Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh I should clarify, I work standing on my feet most of the day, we are just in a big open plan room to have a briefing on how we are "not supposed to sit down all that often" as "You look untidy for the visitors".

We have to be walking around, talking to visitors etc.

I mean I understand the feelings but I have to be able to do better than them and not just retreat, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Captain Fargle posted:

Were these council or parliamentary elections?

they're council elections so in the grand scheme of things they mean less than nothing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Josef bugman posted:

Oh I should clarify, I work standing on my feet most of the day, we are just in a big open plan room to have a briefing on how we are "not supposed to sit down all that often" as "You look untidy for the visitors".

We have to be walking around, talking to visitors etc.

I mean I understand the feelings but I have to be able to do better than them and not just retreat, again.

Petition for stools that leave you tidy looking when resting.

I guess use your not inconsiderable powers of thought and reason to combat the darkness.

edit. recently my ill advised life partner asked me for help on a similar matter which I began to give. She soon stormed outside for a cigarette accusing me of being condescending. She didn't want ideas, she'd already had them all, I was supposed to be just generally supportive.

If thats what you want... Well done.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 6, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

No as in I am not wanting support. What I am asking for isn't really based around chairs.

It's the fact that I couldn't handle having two people disagree, not even with me, nearby and I responded to it like a freaking toddler. I need to fix that.

What I want is to be able to have conflict occur nearby and be able to help not just want to run.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Not the right thread

vvv this guy for instance is wrong.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 6, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

No as in I am not wanting support. What I am asking for isn't really based around chairs.

It's the fact that I couldn't handle having two people disagree, not even with me, nearby and I responded to it like a freaking toddler. I need to fix that.

What I want is to be able to have conflict occur nearby and be able to help not just want to run.

Sometimes you can't help, and trying to insert yourself in other people's disagreements can easily just make things worse. Learn to pick your battles.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Not the right thread

I mean that's fair. It did start as a more general one about conflict resolution but I made it to personal.

This will not happen again.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I mean that's fair. It did start as a more general one about conflict resolution but I made it to personal.

This will not happen again.

Lol chill fella. I don't get to tell you what to do.

It was meant to be a joke about, i dunno, conflict and stuff. Soz.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah bugman it's fine to post about things in your life or difficulties you're having in here, please do. I can't offer advice in the problem you're having, I've never had the kind of response to conflict that you describe. But I think most people itt are happy to see you posting and to talk through this kind of stuff if they can.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

Essentially I am realising a lot of my behaviours are lovely and need to change and I am trying to find out how to do it. Like today at work our boss was telling us how they've changed certain rules related to seating. We are all in a fairly open plan space, but don;t have much time to discuss it as it is more an announcement as we need to do opening up. The problem is that I know it's going to be contentious and I just want it to be over since nothing is going to get resolved in under 20 mins. So I realised I had, quite literally just looked down at my notes, covered my ears and hummed my way through it.

I know what happened and what was going to happen, but even being present in the same room as people getting mad at each other made me essentially try and check right the gently caress out. This isn't normal and I need to change that. Also yeah the seating rules are not all that important, but a lot of people get very cross about it because we are all cross about the organisation in general and want every opportunity to complain. I think that's good, but it doesn't change anything.

Was in the same situation a few weeks ago, we change teams and shifts once every two years. So seating is up for grabs, and I always want a 'corner' seat so I'm not inbetween two people.
Of course this means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but its worth the conflict for that small luxury.
In the end, gently caress them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Josef bugman posted:

Have a thing to ask the thread: How do you all deal with feeling uncomfortable/dealing with conflict.

I don't know how to deal with feeling uncomfortable other than to run away or to, quite literally, shove my fingers in my ears and try and pretend I am not there. I don't like doing this and would like to not. Any ideas?

You're actually asking two separate questions

first question is "how do I cope with the experience of conflict" and the main answer there is just getting more experience with conflict. Sports are good for that because they acclimatize you to the concept of conflict in a relatively non-threatening environment. You should probably talk to a therapist about how to get acclimatized to conflict situations.

second question is "how do I resolve conflicts" and there's a whole science that goes into that. One good essay on how to address most conflicts can be found here:

quote:

Once a week I make a roundtrip commute via Amtrak from NYC to Washington DC. On each trip I sit in the quiet car: the one car on the train where loud noise isn’t permitted. The rules of the quiet car are straightforward: no use of cell phones, no loud electronic devices, and keep all conversations to a library-like whisper.

As a PhD student in the field of conflict resolution, I frequently use the solitude of the three-and-a-half hour commute to reflect on the major conflicts in the world. It often happens, however, that the quiet car gives me an opportunity to gain first-hand experience with real-life conflict.

The trouble with the quiet car is simple: not everyone is quiet. When people don’t follow the rules, conflict develops between passengers who police the car and those who transgress its norms.

. . .

Andrea Bartoli, director of the Institute of Conflict Analysis and Resolution at George Mason University, and frequent rider of the quiet car, gets the offender’s attention and simply points, without talking, to the sign on the ceiling of the car. By communicating silently, Bartoli manages to inform and censure without breaking the no-talking rule. According to his observation this has a 2/3-success rate.

My approach, ever mindful of the fundamental attribution error, is to get up and say, “Excuse me, I am not sure if you know, but this is the quiet car.” By giving people the benefit of ignorance, I find less defensiveness and greater willingness to cooperate.

https://roiword.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/conflict-and-the-quiet-car/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 6, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sounds to me like you've been exposed to conflict in your past that made you really uncomfortable with it now. I'm the same, the fights I saw and heard as a kid have made me INCREDIBLY conflict-averse today, hearing people raise their voices at each other can give me panic attacks for example, and I absolutely cannot stand to be in the presence of an argument. I think you probably need to talk to a therapist to get help overcoming it I'm right in the cause, because that's the kind of poo poo that gets deep.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

Essentially I am realising a lot of my behaviours are lovely and need to change and I am trying to find out how to do it. Like today at work our boss was telling us how they've changed certain rules related to seating. We are all in a fairly open plan space, but don;t have much time to discuss it as it is more an announcement as we need to do opening up. The problem is that I know it's going to be contentious and I just want it to be over since nothing is going to get resolved in under 20 mins. So I realised I had, quite literally just looked down at my notes, covered my ears and hummed my way through it.

I know what happened and what was going to happen, but even being present in the same room as people getting mad at each other made me essentially try and check right the gently caress out. This isn't normal and I need to change that. Also yeah the seating rules are not all that important, but a lot of people get very cross about it because we are all cross about the organisation in general and want every opportunity to complain. I think that's good, but it doesn't change anything.

Not often I recommend this, but just dissociate. This isn't quite the same as what you're doing, which is trying to avoid the situation you're in. Just think 'this is dumb, people are being dumb arguing about it, I am in this situation but ultimately I'm just observing it, human beings sure have some weird foibles'. Like, take the panoptic view, rise above it. Observe what's happening but don't feel sucked into it.

Recently I've found that just saying to myself 'I accept this', about my situation that very moment, helps to calm me down. Not in the sense of saying 'this is fine', more saying 'I'm not shying away from the reality of what's going on right now'. I think the desire for avoidance is what causes the distress, basically, not the situation itself.

That doesn't really make sense. In any case, it's never fun being around an argument, but accept that it's happening and then let it go

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 6, 2019

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol chill fella. I don't get to tell you what to do.

It was meant to be a joke about, i dunno, conflict and stuff. Soz.

Why are you being such a dick?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Monarch posted:

Why are you being such a dick?

He's loving noxious, most of his 'contributions' to this thread are needlessly antagonistic shitposts

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/1169590969009922049

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Amazing. :golfclap:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Ms Adequate posted:

Sounds to me like you've been exposed to conflict in your past that made you really uncomfortable with it now. I'm the same, the fights I saw and heard as a kid have made me INCREDIBLY conflict-averse today, hearing people raise their voices at each other can give me panic attacks for example, and I absolutely cannot stand to be in the presence of an argument. I think you probably need to talk to a therapist to get help overcoming it I'm right in the cause, because that's the kind of poo poo that gets deep.

My parents separated when I was 7, after years of every night being an angry screaming fight. I don’t know if this is why I grew up wildly conflict avoidant or if it was even a contributing factor, but it seems to be a common thing for a lot of people. In the end I was brutalised by my career into being a lot more comfortable with conflict but I can’t recommend the process.

First off, it’s not always and everywhere a problem: it’s a style and a lot of senior people have it too. Negotiating thread favourite book “bargaining for advantage” has a good comparison of different styles including how to make use of being someone who doesn’t like conflict in one of the appendices, so you might check that out.

Alternatively, a lot of companies do conflict training - Intel for example does something called I think “wolf school” where you’re taken to an offsite to practice yelling at and contradicting your boss and other senior people, so that in a situation where you need to do that for real you won’t freeze up. That always sounded like a good idea. Maybe you can get them to pay for a course on that?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

New episode is up!

Podcasting is Praxis Episode 2 - Mr BoJo's Wild Ride

After an eventful week in parliament, and the probable imminent death of the tories, we thought it only fit to bring you a round-up of the comedy of errors. Parliamentary procedure, terrible speeches, and unity in opposition all get a look-in, followed by an awful article written by our favourite jauntily-angled former tory, Rory Stewart - and of course, another trip to the hot take mines for another game of Comment or Commentariat.

This week's cast:
Alasdair - http://twitter.com/SA_Ballistari - Firos
Michael - http://twitter.com/mehall - Mehall
Ben - He doesn't do twitter, smart man. - Miftan
Jamie - http://twitter.com/JimBobFreeman - Pilchenstein
David - http://twitter.com/SanitaryNaptime - Sanitary Naptime

SA Notes: Miftan didn't once mention his (wrong) attitudes about chocolate oranges

I think the audio quality is much better this time round, and as with the last episode, please give me as much of your feedback as you can :)

Enjoy!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I forgot to say how much I liked the first episode. Good chemistry between folks, and god drat the Scottish accent was custom built for talking poo poo about hapless political idiots

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Not often I recommend this, but just dissociate. This isn't quite the same as what you're doing, which is trying to avoid the situation you're in. Just think 'this is dumb, people are being dumb arguing about it, I am in this situation but ultimately I'm just observing it, human beings sure have some weird foibles'. Like, take the panoptic view, rise above it. Observe what's happening but don't feel sucked into it.

Recently I've found that just saying to myself 'I accept this', about my situation that very moment, helps to calm me down. Not in the sense of saying 'this is fine', more saying 'I'm not shying away from the reality of what's going on right now'. I think the desire for avoidance is what causes the distress, basically, not the situation itself.

That doesn't really make sense. In any case, it's never fun being around an argument, but accept that it's happening and then let it go

This isn't necessarily dissociation, it's very similar to detached coping and acceptance which is pretty healthy. Dissociation is feeling like you aren't attached to your body and things aren't real which isn't great and you can observe that you aren't actually involved/being attacked without pretending you're somewhere else.

It's ok to feel anxious around conflict, a good way to start addressing it is slow exposure. Every time you notice the urge to leave/look away/put fingers in ears then just slowly and carefully do the opposite. Take in your surroundings, observe what's happening, try and notice through your senses rather than getting caught up in worries in your head. Over time you learn that most of these situations aren't as scary as they seem (and are better at assessing when there's actual danger and gtfo is the correct action)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hell yeah 3:30am podcast uploads :c00lbert:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Josef bugman posted:

Have a thing to ask the thread: How do you all deal with feeling uncomfortable/dealing with conflict.

I don't know how to deal with feeling uncomfortable other than to run away or to, quite literally, shove my fingers in my ears and try and pretend I am not there. I don't like doing this and would like to not. Any ideas?

I am not recommending this.

I did a small amount of steroids after lifting weights for a few years, put on about 5 stone of muscle. I was shocked at how differently I'm treated, more so by men than women. I no longer get 90% of the poo poo I used to get, it's genuinely depressed me about how hosed up society is in that people are treated differently and respected more for such shallow and base instinct reasons. This is in all walks of life, men don't try and drunkenly fight me on nights out anymore, women are all over me in comparison and work colleagues treat me differently despite me not doing anything different at work.

I still feel super uncomfortable if there is conflict, but conflict happens way less now and when it does the other side seems to be more respectful and willing to compromise now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Holy poo poo Miftan you sound EXACTLY like someone I know only I have no idea who :psyduck:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
My advice: own your uncomfortable feelings. I've dealt with conflicts before just sitting there observing I'm feeling uncomfortable and noting it. I know it is not nice, I know I'd rather be elsewhere, I know this is poo poo I don't want to deal with. The key word is knowing it. I've actually had the most success when I've stopped engaging the person, and therefore letting them know I'm uncomfortable, and sitting back going "if they want me here to try this stuff, I wonder what will happen if I try this?". Alternatively, if I'm caught in the middle of an argument that doesn't involve me, applying the same attitude, I try variations of "I don't need to be here" (assuming I don't, i.e. no one's getting punched if I go).

I remember being on the other side of this before I started practicing it and seeing it as a skill rather than an ability you're born with. These words have no meaning until you've tried it several times. Sorry, if there was a pill you could swallow for this it would outsell Viagra.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly I don't know that feeling like conflict is kinda stupid a lot of the time is actually wrong?

Like if you can see where it's going in advance then wanting to skip to the end is pretty normal? Cos yeah it's just a waste of time, essentially. Unless you're looking to get stuck into the argument then arguing is often a foregone conclusion.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

willie_dee posted:

I still feel super uncomfortable if there is conflict, but conflict happens way less now and when it does the other side seems to be more respectful and willing to compromise now.

Well I suppose getting buff is one way around this.

Just getting bitten to gently caress by mosquitos atm so that is why I am awake.

Heners_UK posted:

I remember being on the other side of this before I started practicing it and seeing it as a skill rather than an ability you're born with. These words have no meaning until you've tried it several times. Sorry, if there was a pill you could swallow for this it would outsell Viagra.

Thanks. I will give this a go when I start feeling like that.

Robot Mil posted:

It's ok to feel anxious around conflict, a good way to start addressing it is slow exposure. Every time you notice the urge to leave/look away/put fingers in ears then just slowly and carefully do the opposite. Take in your surroundings, observe what's happening, try and notice through your senses rather than getting caught up in worries in your head. Over time you learn that most of these situations aren't as scary as they seem (and are better at assessing when there's actual danger and gtfo is the correct action)

Okay. Will do.

Apparently I used to do this as a kid, like if I saw something I found embarrasing I would just leave the room or put my fingers in my ears to block things out. I think the worst is when I am trying to watch "cringe" comedy and I just can't do it without feeling very sorry for the people on screen.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"Is Taki responsible for me taking up martial arts?"

Now, to be fair, if I thought I'd get to wrestle with girls who had titties THAT big I'd probably have taken them up too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure what the context for that but I am now wondering whether you're referring to the fash from the spectator or the lady from soul calibur.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure what the context for that but I am now wondering whether you're referring to the fash from the spectator or the lady from soul calibur.

The joke is the podcast referred to one and I referred to the other :v:

That was a very good episode, I laughed a few times and I'm grateful for someone explaining plainly what actually happened in the Lords. Listening to Podcasting is Praxis is praxis.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 6, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Whattup thread apparently my work has a company lottery and I won it without even knowing it exists. Its usually £70-80 apparently.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

“He looks like a horse in a oval office suit”

Best.
:mmmhmm:

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 6, 2019

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sanitary Naptime posted:

New episode is up!

Podcasting is Praxis Episode 2 - Mr BoJo's Wild Ride

After an eventful week in parliament, and the probable imminent death of the tories, we thought it only fit to bring you a round-up of the comedy of errors. Parliamentary procedure, terrible speeches, and unity in opposition all get a look-in, followed by an awful article written by our favourite jauntily-angled former tory, Rory Stewart - and of course, another trip to the hot take mines for another game of Comment or Commentariat.

I just want to say you guys do a really good job talking through things so that even an ignorant Canadian like me can follow along with what you are discussing. :unsmith:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Lol that after being asked to make shorter episodes we've managed to make an even longer episode this week.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Noted ex-knight of the British Commonwealth Robert Mugabe is dead.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-49604152

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Josef bugman posted:

Well I suppose getting buff is one way around this.

Do this! Mens sana in corpore sano still holds true. Aside from noticing how I get treated differently I must say that how happy my mind can be is anchored in how healthy my body is.

It's great that you are going outside, now take walks to an outside gym or buy yourself some kettlebells. You can get amazing results for very little time spent if your doing HIIT like Tabatha stuff. Dunno if your sad & skinny or sad & pudgy. But putting on muscle is going to help, that I promise

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Grouchio posted:

Noted ex-knight of the British Commonwealth Robert Mugabe is dead.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-49604152

Hope the oval office suffered horribly until the very end.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Josef bugman posted:

Go to law school.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hmmm idk about this whole podcast business , learning you people's real names and hearing your awful human voices rather than the ones I assign you in my head seems...suboptimal.

Maybe have a learning segment where everyone shouts at each other and Josef has to tell you all to stfu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

kustomkarkommando posted:

Also the Irish country delicacy of a bowl of vegetable broth with a boiled potato in the middle

My mum made stew with sausages and mince, an oxo cube and veggies. Sometimes she'd even brown the meat first. It looked like vomit but dear God I loved it.