Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

It took 14 months and more weather cancels than flights, but I’m a real boy pilot now :toot:

gently caress yeah, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

One flight only today, but a significant one. Found my first thermal and rode it up to cloud base. I noticed the wing lift and turned into it. Unfortunately all the continuous high angle circling made me sick (didn't barf). So still have to build tolerance. On the plus side, my control is getting better all the time and I can aerotow passably. My instructor suggested I might be ready for takeoffs. I'm back tomorrow so I'll see how it goes. Zooming around the clouds trying to find the clear bits was super fun and very pretty.
That's super neat! I really want to go get some glider experience. How're landings in a glider? Do you have the option to go around at all if it looks bad?

dupersaurus posted:

It took 14 months and more weather cancels than flights, but I’m a real boy pilot now :toot:
Congrats! :toot:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Toot toot! :toot: I also took my first real solo, like walking out to the plane by myself and doing it all start to finish, yesterday. Looks like lots of new pilots in this thread making milestones :wooper:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Toot toot! :toot: I also took my first real solo, like walking out to the plane by myself and doing it all start to finish, yesterday. Looks like lots of new pilots in this thread making milestones :wooper:
Nice! I remember being super nervous about my first solo up to the part when I wrote down the ATIS and then it clicked that I knew how to do this and I relaxed and look at all the room I have up here without the instructor. And this was just pattern work.

Solo cross countries are wonderful and I'm sad I don't have more hours of it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

cigaw posted:

That's super neat! I really want to go get some glider experience. How're landings in a glider? Do you have the option to go around at all if it looks bad?

Congrats! :toot:

The landings depend on the pilot. I haven't done any myself, but all the instructors have done really smooth landings except the very first who hit the ground like it owed him money. Half a dozen really hard bounces.

As for going around? Not really. I suppose if you have a motor glider you could go around, but otherwise in a normal glider over you've got low enough, you're landing whether you like it or not. The idea is to set it up so that it doesn't "look bad" in the first place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

cigaw posted:

Nice! I remember being super nervous about my first solo up to the part when I wrote down the ATIS and then it clicked that I knew how to do this and I relaxed and look at all the room I have up here without the instructor. And this was just pattern work.

Yep, same here. Super nervous until I called ground for taxi and then everything was just stuff I'd done dozens of times before.

This flight was also supposed to just be pattern work but the tower is egregiously understaffed (I was number 5 to take off; they had a single guy working tower and ground and doing clearance delivery for the turboprops) and the pattern is indefinitely closed so my instructor was like "well, normally you stay in the pattern your first time but you seem comfortable with entering and exiting the airspace so *shrug* go up and do some maneuvers" and that also was a little nerve-wracking but ended up fine and now I've done it.

:wooper:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 2, 2019

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

The landings depend on the pilot. I haven't done any myself, but all the instructors have done really smooth landings except the very first who hit the ground like it owed him money. Half a dozen really hard bounces.

As for going around? Not really. I suppose if you have a motor glider you could go around, but otherwise in a normal glider over you've got low enough, you're landing whether you like it or not. The idea is to set it up so that it doesn't "look bad" in the first place.
Well, setting it up so it doesn't look bad on the landing is par for the course for all flying contraptions, but stuff happens. Winds shift and shear, thermals may catch you unawares, a swarm of birds may cause you to maneuver unexpectedly, there could be a gator on the runway and sometimes you just had a bad approach. I'm guessing that hard multi-bounce landing had something to do with at least one of those factors and not being able to try again, like you mentioned.

Is the usual approach to land high to give you some buffer and then you use your spoilers and flaps to drop down when landing is assured? I'll need to find the time/money to do some lessons and stop asking you dumb questions. :)

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, same here. Super nervous until I called ground for taxi and then everything was just stuff I'd done dozens of times before.

This flight was also supposed to just be pattern work but the tower is egregiously understaffed (I was number 5 to take off; they had a single guy working tower and ground and doing clearance delivery for the turboprops) and the pattern is indefinitely closed so my instructor was like "well, normally you stay in the pattern your first time but you seem comfortable with entering and exiting the airspace so *shrug* go up and do some maneuvers" and that also was a little nerve-wracking but ended up fine and now I've done it.

:wooper:
That's super neat. Did you get your shirt tails cut?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I needed 2.9 or something to hit 40 to be able to go for my checkride, so my instructor said "go burn hobbs time and practice everything."

So I did a whole plan to an airport .4 away, flew there, came back into the practice area, did the whole test routine twice. Slow flight and power-on stalls are WAY different without a couple hundred pounds in the other seat. Good to know. So i'm sitting at like 1.8 hobbs and racking my brain to come up with something to do to burn another hour; I'm just really confident with everything in the testing, so I decided to not practice anymore and toodle around. Just lookin at stuff, noticing terrain, flying an airplane alone, having fun. Approximately seven seconds later, I look down and see 1.1 has elapsed on the hobbs, and it's time to head back. Nice landing, taxi in, 3.3 on the meter at the end of the flight.

It's glorious to just lose yourself in pure aviating.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dupersaurus posted:

Congratulations! Be safe, don’t get lazy, and have fun!

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

The way the FAA goes about checking your color vision is stupid and a bizarre throwback to the earliest days of aviation. The fact that they check it every time you get a new medical is stupid too, since the majority of reasons for color deficiency are all genetic, with reasons like a hard blow to the head or a certain STI being the only thing that might change it as an adult. I had to go through exactly what you're dealing with, only I didn't realize I had a color deficiency until I went to a different AME as a commercial pilot with a job and everything. The FAA will allow you to take pretty much any of their approved color tests as many times as you want to pass the test but if you decide to take the light test at a control tower you can only take it once. Do not take the light test! The good news is that once you do pass the FAA will issue you a waiver and you'll never have to deal with that BS again. Good luck!

The AME mentioned something about a "ride along". Is that a good alternative or should I just find plates I can pass?

At my last ophthalmologist appointment I was 20/15 in my left and 20/20 in my right. At the AME I was 20/20 and 20/30. I've never struggled so much with an eye test than I did at that AME. I'm thinking their equipment is just crap, but I suppose my eyesight could have degraded in the last 18 months.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cigaw posted:

That's super neat. Did you get your shirt tails cut?

the flight school actually gave me a t-shirt in commemoration, so I am net +2 shirts compared to a traditional solo student

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Prefect Six posted:

The AME mentioned something about a "ride along". Is that a good alternative or should I just find plates I can pass?

At my last ophthalmologist appointment I was 20/15 in my left and 20/20 in my right. At the AME I was 20/20 and 20/30. I've never struggled so much with an eye test than I did at that AME. I'm thinking their equipment is just crap, but I suppose my eyesight could have degraded in the last 18 months.

If the "ride along" is with the FAA, it's probably a one-shot deal.

Have your eyesight double-checked by an optometrist or opthalmologist, and I'd definitely try to find either a different set of plates (the Ishihara is affected by stuff like interior lighting and if the book itself faded), or someone that has one of the FAA approved alternate tests.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I needed 2.9 or something to hit 40 to be able to go for my checkride, so my instructor said "go burn hobbs time and practice everything."

So I did a whole plan to an airport .4 away, flew there, came back into the practice area, did the whole test routine twice. Slow flight and power-on stalls are WAY different without a couple hundred pounds in the other seat. Good to know. So i'm sitting at like 1.8 hobbs and racking my brain to come up with something to do to burn another hour; I'm just really confident with everything in the testing, so I decided to not practice anymore and toodle around. Just lookin at stuff, noticing terrain, flying an airplane alone, having fun. Approximately seven seconds later, I look down and see 1.1 has elapsed on the hobbs, and it's time to head back. Nice landing, taxi in, 3.3 on the meter at the end of the flight.

It's glorious to just lose yourself in pure aviating.

That’s awesome! Glad you got to have that experience. I flew with a buddy out to grab dinner after work a few weekends back, and it was the first flight like that I had made in months. No training objective, not trying to build time or anything, familiar airspace, gorgeous evening and man, it was just the best. Training flights are rewarding and enjoyable in their own way, but flying just to fly somewhere (and laughing at the fools on the freeway below) is great. I can see why people do this as a hobby :haw:.

Of course now I’ve got my CFI ride coming up this month so it’s been back to the no-fun zone!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Prefect Six posted:

I’ve never heard of a ride along before but if it’s an FAA thing stay the hell away. If you can tell the difference between the colors of a stoplight there’s a color test you can pass. It might take some doing to find the right one but you should be able to do it. There are also companies that will guide you through the process and even find you docs to do the different tests and deal with the FAA directly. It’s expensive, and in my case, worth it. It’s up to you to decide if it’s worth it for you.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

I’ve never heard of a ride along before but if it’s an FAA thing stay the hell away. If you can tell the difference between the colors of a stoplight there’s a color test you can pass. It might take some doing to find the right one but you should be able to do it. There are also companies that will guide you through the process and even find you docs to do the different tests and deal with the FAA directly. It’s expensive, and in my case, worth it. It’s up to you to decide if it’s worth it for you.

I've asked AOPA about it, so hopefully they have some good guidance.

Thanks to everyone for your input, you guys are a huge help.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Work wants me to do CLT-MIA-CLT on Wednesday morning.

OK YEAH.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Rolo posted:

OK YEAH.

Last year during whatever hurricane hit RDU the mothership cancelled everything our regional had planned in and out of there. One day I noticed an OFP on our system for a flight for a flight into RDU. Hm. Curious. Hurricane is dying but still pretty fierce. Who the hell is the skipper on this leg?! Oh, yep, crazy old resident middle-aged Russian guy. I asked him later WTF and he just said "Give me gas for far alternate, I try." Crazy fucker was allegedly one of the first airliners to land back at RDU after they partially reopened. Apparently there were like 3 people on that flight. :ussr:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

OK YEAH.

Ask Wonder Free in GiP if you can borrow some dropsondes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sagebrush posted:

:hfive:

cigaw posted:

I don't remember being nervous, but it finally hit me what was going on when I got airborne, looked right, saw an empty seat, and went "Welp. Got it up, got to get it back down three times. :getin:"

I have a ton of solo XC time since I had to have 50 hours to be eligible for my IR checkride Part 61. I remember going to CMH, LCK, ZZV, PKB, TOL, IND off hand, with the destination sometimes being based on how long I had the plane (I went to CVG once but it was a couple miles short of 50, so it didn't count). I had a few more XCs drawn up that I don't think I ever actually flew (BMG, MFD, SDF come to mind).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I miss solo flying, I should do it more often.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Started nose and wing stalls yesterday. I have decided that I do not like the sudden sight of ALL THE FUCKEN GROUND that comes with a wing drop. :piss: :supaburn: Enough g's pulled to get out of them for me, thank you very much. Super pissed I forgot to set up my GoPro for that flight. The first time the instructor did the wing drop was loving terrifying. Forcing myself to do the maneuver myself was not easy.

Also at least the instructor was a youngish, fit dude. Most of the instructors are old as poo poo and hearing about old dude's quadruple bypass does not inspire a lot of confidence for when I eventually do proper spin training. I've got a lot of motivation to get my landings and spin recoveries absolutely perfect on the first try though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Don’t worry about go proing your lessons, unless your instructor thinks you’d get something out of reviewing it. Typically it’s more of a distraction than anything.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Its more for vanity journalling and for stuff to show my friends and parents later than anything else. I don't see it as a distraction. Camera goes on before take off, and switched off after landing. I don't even notice it while in flight.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I think the GoPros seem like a good idea as long as you don’t fly for the benefit of the camera. If anything it will at least make NTSB investigations shorter.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

OK YEAH.

For what it’s worth, MIA never closed. It wasn’t even bumpy on the west side of it when it was a CAT5; Almost everyone was reporting mostly smooth.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

e.pilot posted:

Don’t worry about go proing your lessons, unless your instructor thinks you’d get something out of reviewing it. Typically it’s more of a distraction than anything.

IMO recording almost all of my helo lessons was great, I would watch each one a couple of times, partly because this is a sweet video of me flying a helicopter, and also because I could look at everything I did wrong or right. I just set the camera at the start of the flight, and didn't look at it again until the lesson was over.

If that's how you do it, I definitely think it can be very useful (you want to be capturing the radio/intercom audio though otherwise I don't think there's much point).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rolo posted:

OK YEAH.

LEEROOOOOOOY JENKINS?

The instructor who finished instrument with me and has been a great resource while I've worked for the college Aviation program is now a corporate pilot and her boss wants to go to FLL tomorrow in a Citation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Turns out my very difficult student who I thought was getting better was, in fact, not getting better at all. Another absurd CADORS after sending him solo, just a complete breakdown of situational awareness and ability to follow ATC instructions.

God loving drat it. This guy has been a five-finger prostate exam from day one, but on the plus side maybe this will be the evidence I need to get loving rid of him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you know what really loving sucks? when you're a new solo student and are really eager to get up and get your landings dialed in but the tower is understaffed and the ATIS gradually goes, over the course of a few weeks, from "the VFR pattern will be closed until 11:30AM" to "the VFR pattern will be closed until further notice" to "tower is not accepting VFR pattern traffic" and there is zero information on when, if ever, it'll be open again

real killer feature for an airport that hosts several flight schools I gotta say

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Sagebrush posted:

you know what really loving sucks? when you're a new solo student and are really eager to get up and get your landings dialed in but the tower is understaffed and the ATIS gradually goes, over the course of a few weeks, from "the VFR pattern will be closed until 11:30AM" to "the VFR pattern will be closed until further notice" to "tower is not accepting VFR pattern traffic" and there is zero information on when, if ever, it'll be open again

real killer feature for an airport that hosts several flight schools I gotta say

I, uh... didn't know that towers said that.

BTW I learned and taught a hop and a skip from you at RHV

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vessbot posted:

I, uh... didn't know that towers said that.

BTW I learned and taught a hop and a skip from you at RHV

yep, call up the KSQL ATIS right now and hear it for yourself: 650 593 0613

I flew out of RHV with a friend (he was the PIC, obviously) on the weekend. A nice little airport and the flight school syllabus has a run from SQL to RHV through the PAO, NUQ and SJC airspaces as a challenge coming up so I'm looking forward to that. Have you seen the insane website by the insane man who has been trying to get it closed for at least twenty years? http://www.reidhillview.com/

e: maybe it's down -- it was up a week ago. cached version

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 6, 2019

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I flew out of RHV with a friend (he was the PIC, obviously) on the weekend. A nice little airport and the flight school syllabus has a run from SQL to RHV through the PAO, NUQ and SJC airspaces as a challenge coming up so I'm looking forward to that. Have you seen the insane website by the insane man who has been trying to get it closed for at least twenty years? http://www.reidhillview.com/

It is getting closed unfortunately.

My solo xc has gotten cancelled 3 times in a row on account of a whole bunch of things. It's frustrating.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Dude recording the ATIS sounds like he’s doing a half-hearted auctioneer impression. Never heard of VFR pattern being closed down like that. Doesn’t even seem to be on a NOTAM.

Comedy option: request IFR Pattern Work.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Sagebrush posted:

e: maybe it's down -- it was up a week ago. [url=http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NnUinv0SdAYJ:https://www.reidhillview.com/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us]cached version[/url]

Yeah that guy is definitely strung out haha.

I just remembered one time they let me record the ATIS on a tower tour, I was so excited! :kiddo:

And yeah, that domain squatting site has been up since before I started flying

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

cigaw posted:

Dude recording the ATIS sounds like he’s doing a half-hearted auctioneer impression. Never heard of VFR pattern being closed down like that. Doesn’t even seem to be on a NOTAM.

Comedy option: request IFR Pattern Work.

Two days later: “Practice approaches unavailable from 00:01-23:59L”

Fun fact: that basically did happen to me at the end of my instrument rating and basically hosed me over hard. JAX approach wasn’t accepting any practice approaches for almost a solid month years back.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 6, 2019

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Just passed my my combination new hire and 737 type ride. :toot: Surprisingly I did not get hosed by my schedule during training.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Just passed my my combination new hire and 737 type ride. :toot: Surprisingly I did not get hosed by my schedule during training.

Welcome to the guppy. Prepare to be underwhelmed, but if it pays the bills who cares right?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Arson Daily posted:

Prepare to be underwhelmed, but if it pays the bills who cares right?

Oh man if we didn’t just get a new thread title

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Flying in the Midwest in a small bit of rain and the other guys whines that of course we get caught around the only drat storm in the entire country.

I’m just like UUHHHHHHH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well I called the ATIS this morning at 7:30 and it said that the pattern would be open at 9am so I booted it down on my motorcycle and got 9 landings in. They were allowing exactly two aircraft to fly closed traffic and it was me and one other from the school. Someone else called in requesting options and got a "negative, the pattern is full" lol

Works for me though! I don't make any money as a college professor but can't beat the "I don't teach today, so I don't think I'll come in" schedule