Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Josef bugman posted:

Apparently I used to do this as a kid, like if I saw something I found embarrasing I would just leave the room or put my fingers in my ears to block things out. I think the worst is when I am trying to watch "cringe" comedy and I just can't do it without feeling very sorry for the people on screen.

Maybe that could be a way of getting more used to conflict? Watching The Thick of It could be like aversion therapy. But - I used to blush a lot, mostly when people would make suggestive comments to me, flirt and so on, which further embarassed me and making me blush more. I then got a job teaching life drawing to hen party's, so every session I'd be stood in front of 20 or so women I'd never met before (or meet again) and had a whole host of sexual comments aimed at me. I quickly got over blushing this way, particularly as each session was self-contained and in the end I knew it didn't really matter.

I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to experience conflict in short bursts where you won't meet people again (besides sports?) but could be worth thinking of situations where you could experience it in short bursts and have more time afterwards to analyse how you felt. Your local library should have books about CBT that might be useful too - the image at the top of this article is a decent summary: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gymqpm/overwatch-therapy-mood-log-worksheet (and you could ask your HR department if there's any councilling or help they offer as part of your contract)

Don't beat yourself up about it though, changing yourself takes a lifetime so even a tiny amount of progress is good. Plus the state of the news these days also increases anxiety, so maybe take a weekend off. Take it easy.

e: They are making a live action prequel to 101 Dalmatians about Cruella de Vil, sort of like Joker with more animal cruelty.

justcola fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

willie_dee posted:

I am not recommending this.

I did a small amount of steroids after lifting weights for a few years, put on about 5 stone of muscle. I was shocked at how differently I'm treated, more so by men than women. I no longer get 90% of the poo poo I used to get, it's genuinely depressed me about how hosed up society is in that people are treated differently and respected more for such shallow and base instinct reasons. This is in all walks of life, men don't try and drunkenly fight me on nights out anymore, women are all over me in comparison and work colleagues treat me differently despite me not doing anything different at work.

I still feel super uncomfortable if there is conflict, but conflict happens way less now and when it does the other side seems to be more respectful and willing to compromise now.

Did your voice get squeaky? I used to have a colleague who had roided up - he was a sweet, kind of nerdy Asian-American guy who was built like a brick shithouse but had an incongruously high voice like he had been inhaling helium.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
https://twitter.com/thequentinletts/status/1169850394375098368?s=21

:madmax:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Ho-leeeee sheeeeeeee-it

Just amazing

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Rip to a real one

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Coohoolin posted:

Ho-leeeee sheeeeeeee-it

Just amazing

Bojo already opened his statement on Tuesday talking about a WW2 anniversary and compared fighting the Nazis to getting brexit through

Then he connected the Amazon and climate catastrophe with Global Britain doing fantastic trade deals (which apparently helps??) so basically there's no shame to go around

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

Holy poo poo Miftan you sound EXACTLY like someone I know only I have no idea who :psyduck:

Glad to hear I'm not the only person with this clusterfuck of a voice.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

Apparently I used to do this as a kid, like if I saw something I found embarrasing I would just leave the room or put my fingers in my ears to block things out. I think the worst is when I am trying to watch "cringe" comedy and I just can't do it without feeling very sorry for the people on screen.

This is very sweet.

You're clearly a very empathetic and sensitive person, and that's a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing for obvious reasons, but it sounds like you're going to have to desensitise yourself a bit at times, as other posters have said. I guess this also counts for your overwhelming desire not to hurt anyone.

Worrying less about what's going on with the people around you won't make you a bad person. No one needs to be engaged and vigilant at all times, sometimes it's good and healthy to take a step back. You can trust yourself to be a good person without constant monitoring, and you can trust a situation where people are arguing over dumb poo poo will resolve itself without getting your feelings involved.

This is all very difficult and takes practice, of course.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1169603331569963009

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"blow" meaning fellatio, cocaine, or an emotional blow? All 3?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Podcast already made this joke :colbert: (along with the rest of the Internet)

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Why was Pfeffel Johnson stumbling about on Queen St in Morley anyway? Was the police conference up round there?

Despite Morley & Outwood turning blue from being Labour forever a couple of years ago the guy that tells him to leave is exactly what you'd expect off it's main road, I've no idea what Johnson's motivation was there.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Apparently Blackford was on form on QT last night, can anyone confirm?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Bit of a car crash for Emily Thornberry last night.

We really need to work the kinks out to present our brexit policy.

My thoughts:

1) remind people that the Tories also had a spilt for the first referendum
2) some times you have to do things in a job you don't like/agree with
3) brexit is an issue that cuts across party lines, and as a party representing the whole nation, not a sub section of it, we are duty bound to try and renegotiate with The EU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Goldskull posted:

Why was Pfeffel Johnson stumbling about on Queen St in Morley anyway? Was the police conference up round there?

Despite Morley & Outwood turning blue from being Labour forever a couple of years ago the guy that tells him to leave is exactly what you'd expect off it's main road, I've no idea what Johnson's motivation was there.

Maybe he genuinely thought the force of his personality and charm would change their opinion of him and make them realise how great he is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Jesus fiona Bruce sucks

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1169765334896828416?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's all coming up Liz truss

https://twitter.com/business/status/1169813448965926912?s=19

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Barry Foster posted:

Maybe he genuinely thought the force of his personality and charm would change their opinion of him and make them realise how great he is

It's this. He genuinely believes that the sun shines out of his arsehole and that the sheer force of his wit, charm and charisma is bound to win people over because, well, why wouldn't it? That scoundrel Corbyn does this sort of thing all the time and always gets mobbed by hordes of fans and well-wishers, so surely I, Boris, a much more impressive and important politician, should be able to do the same thing?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

in a post brexit world we will all toil day and night wanking off pigs into a supertanker so we can ship swine spunk to cum crazed chinamen

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gasmask posted:

in a post brexit world we will all toil day and night wanking off pigs into a supertanker so we can ship swine spunk to cum crazed chinamen

Back to toiling in the Daily Sport headlines mines with you

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Forward steps David Cameron to save the day

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
We clearly need an expert in the field of pig sex and international politics, but where can we find such an extraordinary individual?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
News on local radio here is again repeating Boris' line on Labour "denying the public" a general election, while picking the shortest, weakest Labour quote they could find as the rebuttal. loving disgusting.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Back to toiling in the Daily Sport headlines mines with you

Pulled Pork: Tugjobs For Hogs Til We Pop Our Clogs

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
What're the odds on lib dem majority?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1169875316619104256

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Bugman, do you utilise any mindfulness practice in your day to day life? It's been a big part of the DBT I've been getting and it really helps with powerful emotions like the kind that conflict and embarrassment can bring up! It might not make the sensations and urges go but it puts a little distance in there and helps them not become all encompassing.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I don't get it, the Tories have been a nonstop train wreck for loving years, how is there even a remote chance that they'll win an election?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Number confusing me.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Delthalaz posted:

I don't get it, the Tories have been a nonstop train wreck for loving years, how is there even a remote chance that they'll win an election?

Broken electoral system and old people

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

The thousand-yard stare is strong in this one.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Delthalaz posted:

Tories also own the newspapers & polling companies, op

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Is it just me, or has Johnson got very small hands? Another thing in common with Trump, I guess. (One of the Tory papers had a front page pic of him looking 'tough' by pointing at the camera, and all I could think was that a child had tried to block his face.)

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

Because Jezza wants to make jam from the blood of the few

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Confirmed that Labour will not vote in favour of an election on Monday; the leadership has been talked down from previous gung ho approach. Thank gently caress for that. Much as I like and admire Jez and fully support his policies, he and the people around him have an alarming lack of basic strategic sense.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Delthalaz posted:

Have you seen the state of most of the British public?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Communist Bear posted:

Number confusing me.

you put £1 on a conservative majority, you get £2.62 back if they actually get a majority

alternatively, the probability of a conservative majority is 1/.262 = 38% if you make a bunch of assumptions about wisdom of the crowds and bid-ask spread and risk aversion of market participants

you can cunt off
May 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Payndz posted:

Is it just me, or has Johnson got very small hands? Another thing in common with Trump, I guess. (One of the Tory papers had a front page pic of him looking 'tough' by pointing at the camera, and all I could think was that a child had tried to block his face.)

It's you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Chinese Gordon posted:

Confirmed that Labour will not vote in favour of an election on Monday; the leadership has been talked down from previous gung ho approach. Thank gently caress for that. Much as I like and admire Jez and fully support his policies, he and the people around him have an alarming lack of basic strategic sense.

As clearly demonstrated by them blocking Johnson into a corner and making his only option a vote of no confidence in himself. If only they had some strategic sense though... :(