Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Delthalaz posted:

I don't get it, the Tories have been a nonstop train wreck for loving years, how is there even a remote chance that they'll win an election?

this thread is not a bellwether

e: 102% is the expected conservative vote share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Comes the hour, comes the man.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

As clearly demonstrated by them blocking Johnson into a corner and making his only option a vote of no confidence in himself. If only they had some strategic sense though... :(

Yes, they have obviously done the right thing here, eventually. But the fact that it basically took the entire frontbench to make the point against the instincts of the leadership is pretty concerning IMO.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
guido isn't sending their best

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1169880379710296064?s=20

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sanitary Naptime posted:

New episode is up!
Enjoy!
Neat! I look forward to listening to it, as I found the first episode very good!

The only thing I have to say about it, and this is in no way your fault, is that Podbean sure don't make it easy to avoid their app if as me you just want to download the audio file.
The solution, by the by, is to find the feed and grab the files directly.

Josef bugman posted:

Apparently I used to do this as a kid, like if I saw something I found embarrasing I would just leave the room or put my fingers in my ears to block things out. I think the worst is when I am trying to watch "cringe" comedy and I just can't do it without feeling very sorry for the people on screen.
Urrrgggghh, I absofuckinglutely cannot stand that kind of comedy (though I'm not a fan of using that particular word, I don't have suggestions for what else to call it). Unfortunately for me, a show that was wildly popular a bunch of years ago is now scheduled to return with the same cast of mostly people who have demonstrated in the past to have good comedy chops and this one guy who is just absolutely the worst because he is just trying so damned hard to be awkward and it's his only schtick that he's flogging like an 80s hack comedian.

That diatribe aside, I hope you find something you're comfortable with, friend. You do you!

Firos posted:

Lol that after being asked to make shorter episodes we've managed to make an even longer episode this week.
For what it's worth, I like longer episodes. :allears:

justcola posted:

Maybe that could be a way of getting more used to conflict? Watching The Thick of It could be like aversion therapy. But - I used to blush a lot, mostly when people would make suggestive comments to me, flirt and so on, which further embarassed me and making me blush more. I then got a job teaching life drawing to hen party's, so every session I'd be stood in front of 20 or so women I'd never met before (or meet again) and had a whole host of sexual comments aimed at me. I quickly got over blushing this way, particularly as each session was self-contained and in the end I knew it didn't really matter.
Heh, that's basically the opposite of me - I blush a lot too, but I like watching other people blush too as I think it's a cute little thing, that's usually of little consequence. Though, I'm glad you got over it since it bothered you. :)

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Igotadigbick posted:

Have you seen the state of most of the British public?

Yeah I guess so.

What happens if BJ calls a vote of no confidence in himself? Does that trigger elections or something ?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Igotadigbick posted:

Bugman, do you utilise any mindfulness practice in your day to day life? It's been a big part of the DBT I've been getting and it really helps with powerful emotions like the kind that conflict and embarrassment can bring up! It might not make the sensations and urges go but it puts a little distance in there and helps them not become all encompassing.

I have difficulty using CBT.

Theres a fair old amount of things where I know the tools I can use but I just end up looking at how to use them for this moment and end up going "huh".

I rely on instruction far far Far too much.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

*in extremely McElroy voice* Oh, there's a hog crisis alright

Alternatively: Legit question for rural Chinese: How do I inseminate the 30-50 feral hogs that run into my yard within 3-5 mins while my small children play?

E: CBT is generally best with a partner :grin:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 6, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

*in extremely McElroy voice* Oh, there's a hog crisis alright

Alternatively: Legit question for rural Chinese: How do I inseminate the 30-50 feral hogs that run into my yard within 3-5 mins while my small children play?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Chinese Gordon posted:

Yes, they have obviously done the right thing here, eventually. But the fact that it basically took the entire frontbench to make the point against the instincts of the leadership is pretty concerning IMO.

I don't think it's so clear cut on whether to push for an election on Monday or not. I posted an article by Steven Bush earlier on this, but more time can give Johnson space to recover as it can for him to collapse, and more time for them to come up with policies and campaign outside of election rules. Still, it's not the end of the world, and if johnson resigns as PM rather than extend article 50 that's still pretty good since that looks betting going into an election, which Ideally we'd hold early november.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:gowron:

Newfound respect for anyone who can seduce him, even if it is posthumously

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

Urrrgggghh, I absofuckinglutely cannot stand that kind of comedy (though I'm not a fan of using that particular word, I don't have suggestions for what else to call it). Unfortunately for me, a show that was wildly popular a bunch of years ago is now scheduled to return with the same cast of mostly people who have demonstrated in the past to have good comedy chops and this one guy who is just absolutely the worst because he is just trying so damned hard to be awkward and it's his only schtick that he's flogging like an 80s hack comedian.

That diatribe aside, I hope you find something you're comfortable with, friend. You do you!

Would the term embarrassment humour be better do you think?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Glad to hear I'm not the only person with this clusterfuck of a voice.

You do sound weirdly familiar to me too but I have no idea why cos I definitely don't know anyone with that accent.

Josef bugman posted:

the worst is when I am trying to watch "cringe" comedy and I just can't do it without feeling very sorry for the people on screen.

This is me 1000% I do not at all understand the appeal of cringe comedy because I don't see what's funny about it, like I don't see the part that's supposed to induce laughter.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't think it's so clear cut on whether to push for an election on Monday or not. I posted an article by Steven Bush earlier on this, but more time can give Johnson space to recover as it can for him to collapse, and more time for them to come up with policies and campaign outside of election rules. Still, it's not the end of the world, and if johnson resigns as PM rather than extend article 50 that's still pretty good since that looks betting going into an election, which Ideally we'd hold early november.

There is some merit to the argument that the Tories and their fash press allies can use the unofficial campaign period to their advantage. Expect to see some variation on the hilarious chicken gag on every front page daily. However, I think it's clear that whatever advantage that may bring is almost certainly going to be massively outweighed by Humiliation For Loser Johnson as he is forced to publically eat poo poo and request an extension. Or resign. Or call a vote of confidence in himself (this galaxy brain plan wouldn't work, for multiple reasons).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

This is me 1000% I do not at all understand the appeal of cringe comedy because I don't see what's funny about it, like I don't see the part that's supposed to induce laughter.

It's cathartic - it's actually good for the reasons you and bman don't like it, it shows you the absolute worst, most awkward people, and you get to laugh about how you're (hopefully) not like that.

Also mix in the sheer schadenfreude of watching terrible people have a terrible time. We all enjoy watching Johnson humiliate himself, so why not Alan Partridge or David Brent?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Delthalaz posted:

I don't get it, the Tories have been a nonstop train wreck for loving years, how is there even a remote chance that they'll win an election?
Also:

xtothez posted:

News on local radio here is again repeating Boris' line on Labour "denying the public" a general election, while picking the shortest, weakest Labour quote they could find as the rebuttal. loving disgusting.

Most people hear only one heavily distorted side of the story most of the time.

I had an interesting conversation with a colleague earlier this week about the possibility of a new GE. She didn't want to vote for anyone because while she hates Tories, she also "doesn't like" Corbyn for reasons she couldn't really explain. I pressed it, and she showed me a Daily Mail (or maybe Express) article one of her friends had recently shared on Facebook about Corbyn supporting sending British soldiers to jail. She thought that was totally wrong, but clearly hadn't looked into the article. Just from the headline I knew the story was about historical crimes during the troubles, so I explained the case of a British soldier deliberately shooting an unarmed teenager in the face and how his fellow soldier had reported him for it.
She asked why the newspaper would publish stories that are so misleading; I said one of Corybn's main policies is to raise income tax for anyone earning over £80k, how much do you think newspaper editors and senior journalists earn? She said "oh wow I never knew that either, makes a lot of sense". While I didn't convince her to vote Labour from one conversation, she did agree to give Corbyn a chance during the next election and listen to a speech or party broadcast.

Luckily she is a fairly bright person and is someone capable of changing her mind based on new information. There is a scary amount of people out there who just glance at news headlines and internalise them as fact without verifying or even reading any details, and over time it becomes very difficult if not impossible to shift. After a certain number of "Corbyn loves terrorists" headlines some people just will not vote for him, no matter how much evidence you have to the contrary. And that's how you end up with Tories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

It's cathartic - it's actually good for the reasons you and bman don't like it, it shows you the absolute worst, most awkward people, and you get to laugh about how you're (hopefully) not like that.

Also mix in the sheer schadenfreude of watching terrible people have a terrible time. We all enjoy watching Johnson humiliate himself, so why not Alan Partridge or David Brent?

The very critical point is that I enjoy Johnson eating poo poo because he's actually someone I bear great hostility to.

It's like competition, I don't like competition, I don't derive any enjoyment from beating people unless I have a reason to feel animosity towards them, and being arbitratily assigned to fight someone doesn't generate that.

So, Johnson eating poo poo is extremely enjoyable. Ricky Gervais eating poo poo would be very enjoyable. Ricky Gervais being paid a lot of money to pretend to make people uncomfortable isn't enjoyable at all.

It's only fun if it's real. It's only cathartic if you actually lust for the blood of the person in question.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I just get annoyed/angry at cringe comedy most of the time, mostly because I'm thinking "no one would do that/be that stupid, they should do X..." most the time when watching it. I suppose they are getting a reaction from me, just not the one they want. Still, stay on the right shade of believable and it can be good (The inbetweeners)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the inbetweeners is bad because all it does is make me remember how poo poo school was. cool let's revisit a really unpleasant experience during your formative years. this is funny, for some reason.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

You do sound weirdly familiar to me too but I have no idea why cos I definitely don't know anyone with that accent.

Well at least you aren't my friend who thought the office was an actual documentary after seeing the first episode (when it first was on tv). He thought it was a "bit boring". I couldn't stop laughing at him for ages after that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ultimately it's all down to personal taste, just trying to explain why I like it.

The Inbetweeners is really really good though. It's obviously exaggerated a bit, but it's an incredibly accurate depiction of that stage in a sixth form teenage boy's life. A lot of it is eerily close to my own experiences, and I suspect that's true for a lot of people.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 6, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Nuclear Spoon posted:

the inbetweeners is bad because all it does is make me remember how poo poo school was. cool let's revisit a really unpleasant experience during your formative years. this is funny, for some reason.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jippa posted:

Well at least you aren't my friend who thought the office was an actual documentary after seeing the first episode (when it first was on tv). He thought it was a "bit boring". I couldn't stop laughing at him for ages after that.

This really is a testament to its writing, to be fair.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Office is a bit boring.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For you younguns who might have missed it look up "This is Spinal Tap" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Spinal_Tap

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

The very critical point is that I enjoy Johnson eating poo poo because he's actually someone I bear great hostility to.

It's like competition, I don't like competition, I don't derive any enjoyment from beating people unless I have a reason to feel animosity towards them, and being arbitratily assigned to fight someone doesn't generate that.

So, Johnson eating poo poo is extremely enjoyable. Ricky Gervais eating poo poo would be very enjoyable. Ricky Gervais being paid a lot of money to pretend to make people uncomfortable isn't enjoyable at all.

It's only fun if it's real. It's only cathartic if you actually lust for the blood of the person in question.

The catharsis comes if you've worked for a oval office boss like David Brent IRL.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

For you younguns who might have missed it look up "This is Spinal Tap" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Spinal_Tap

An absolute masterpiece and probably the zenith of cringe comedy

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jippa posted:

See I like Spinal Tap, because its so daft as to make itself impossible to take seriously. The detachment makes it work IMO.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

the unpleasant experiences shown on the inbetweeners are mostly (though not entirely) stuff the protagonists bring on themselves by being terrible people, so i laugh on the basis of 'yeah i absolutely was that terrible, glad i grew out of it'

or did i

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

The catharsis comes if you've worked for a oval office boss like David Brent IRL.

It doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

there's also a pleasure in having cringeworthy moments that you thought were unique to you revealed as universal experiences

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1169899236772601856?s=20

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Explaining comedy never really works it either makes you laugh or it doesn't which is fine either way.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Can't actually read the article but students would defo be more active and involved for a Nov election - given the term doesn't start till late Sept/early Oct getting students to register in time and orgnized for canvassing would but an utter nightmare for a Oct election - it was hard enough back last June when it was during exam season, very start of term would be worse. That extra month would be pretty massive for student organization and votes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

coffeetable posted:

there's also a pleasure in having cringeworthy moments that you thought were unique to you revealed as universal experiences

This is the big one for me. When it comes to oval office bosses and being a teenager, it's nice to know that other people have had similar experiences and that I'm not alone in thinking 'is it just me or are most people in offices insufferable pricks? or ''I was a uniquely insufferable little prick at 16-20'

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

coffeetable posted:

you put £1 on a conservative majority, you get £2.62 back if they actually get a majority

alternatively, the probability of a conservative majority is 1/.262 = 38% if you make a bunch of assumptions about wisdom of the crowds and bid-ask spread and risk aversion of market participants

Sounds like a good deal for putting down twenty on. If you lose, you win, if you win, you get to drink yourself into a stupor.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

People like that are the reason Police Squad only got a single series and should be hunted down and used for compost.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Having those experiences to relate to on the show is vital too - It's why I bounced off Peep Show, not being a working adult yet means it just didn't land with me as it's more unfamiliar.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
People were constantly on at me to watch the Office because "we've all had bosses like that" and it's like yeah we have and they weren't funny either :v:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Rincewinds posted:

Sounds like a good deal for putting down twenty on. If you lose, you win, if you win, you get to drink yourself into a stupor.

this is 'emotional hedging': bet against the side you want to win in an amount large enough that you no longer want your side to win. then get on with your life.

whether you'll place the bet or not, it's an interesting thought experiment to figure out just how much you care about politics

of course the better option is to not let yourself care that much in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
What's the schedule for the next drama-filled vote on the Commons after the bill is returned from the Lords? monday?